TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT

TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT

Attached: haiku boot screen.png (480x300, 23K)

Beta 1, eh? Fucking finally.

Runescape is getting a GUI update?

Only another decade for Beta 2!

yeah nobody cares

Most overhyped hobby os in history. Beos was cool back in its day bout today it's a tech relic

is it works on virtualbox?

Yes, VirtualBox, KVM, and Xen.

You know, the idea is cool and stuff, but even the most obscure BSD distro is more relevant than haiku right now. They should specialize in one thing and be good at it, making general purpose os is a bit retarded when linux is around but who knows.

Does it support EFI in the default iso?

The whole point of Haiku is to be a general desktop. About the only major architectural thing it's missing is GPU accel.

This is great!
ohh wait...
>api in C++ only
FUCKING TRASH

Attached: 1526127193450.png (1440x1440, 827K)

It's got a Unix libc so you can run most terminal applications without C++.

If all I'm going to write for it is Unix programs, then I can just as well use Unix.

Completely defeats the point. The terminal is shit and it can't evem run emacs

>Beos was cool back in its day
Was it even? Did it do anything that Nextstep hadn't already done for at least half a decade?

False. Emacs is in Haikuports and works fine. I even got my riced out Spacemacs config working.

Is the browser it comes with finally stable?

False. Alt doesn't work in the default terminal

So use esc for meta.

I swear this has been in development for like forever, what does this OS even do well?

Why does it look like it's from 1997?

just another dumb linux distro that will go nowhere, like 90% of them.

Not Linux, and there's probably less reasons to use this than Linux.

Honey, garbage is released every day of the year. What makes this garbage better than the rest?

It shares no code with Linux that I know of

Because it's from 1997.
Still better than 2017.

2019 year of the Haiku desktop

>imagine using this piece of shit
>more insecure than win98 se

Attached: 1530301954199.jpg (690x460, 186K)

Nah

Compatibility with an existing library of software is what kills new OSes.
GPU accel is a nice to have but a large software library is a must.

NeXTSTEP was about the userspace, BeOS was about juicing the hardware.

Haiku has never been more relevant thanks to the raw MIGHT of 32 cores and 64 threads.

Attached: terry01.png (990x682, 580K)

Haiku already has Qt and OpenJDK and Libreoffice. Mono port is in progress. Most Unix libraries compile unaltered so you can build a native Haiku GUI to them pretty easily.

Yeah, it was pretty cool. Remember this was 20 years ago and your options for an x86 OS were basically Windows and well, the Linux of 20 years ago. So right off the bat being able to run something “unique” as far as commodity x86 hardware is concerned was quite novel and cool for your average nerd.

But people are remembering it with rose-tinted glasses, for sure. It didn’t do anything particularly mind-blowing and there was even less software available than on Linux, if you can believe it.

>BeOS was about juicing the hardware.
In what way? All I can see mentioned is "multithreading".

Don't care. It's shit while GenodeOS is not.

Attached: 1306521247719.jpg (894x683, 436K)