Careers/Jobs

What do you guys do for a living? Do you guys feel like you're in the right field or are you just faking in order to make a living?

I've switched majors like 3 times and I just feel like I am not gonna like going into accounting. I've thought about getting into web dev, but I feel like I won't be able to get into a good company and I'll just end up doing shitty web dev jobs for pennies.

Attached: 1420166318282.jpg (706x720, 38K)

I just professionally rate feet. Do you have cute feet? I would be blessed if you could show me your soles.

Programming. I love it. It's perfect for autistic friendless people.

>cold pasta is cold

But to OP's question, I get ass raped by a multi-million dollar testing firm competing with Pajeets for a few cents an hour.

Hi op, I do server support and devops and I'd recommend it over webdev many times over. You'll need to learn about networking, VMs, docker, K8s, SQL and most importantly performance testing but none of it is rocket science. Feels good to me because there are lots of jobs and contracts right now. The money's good too.

Is it easy to get laid with the office qt in that position?

My job is probably an unusual one for this board. I write and edit screenplays for mid-budget television dramas and I edit scripts for various Netflix Originals now and then.

is it a pretty redpilled position

Pretty much the exact opposite, I'm afraid. Producers hammer any sign of redpill-esque thought out of any project and insert annoying SJW tropes. They can't help themselves. Good money though and I see my name in a lot of credits, which is kinda cool.

I studied law. But I kind of wished that I became a webdev instead. I enjoy making websites.

Why is SJW shit being pushed in almost every show these days? i get most people seem to be left but they're always pushing the most radical characters.

It's funny because I studied law and I'm this guy:
Because producers are out of touch and still think it's the best way to win over 18-30s, who are the most likely demographic to binge-watch and continue watching into a second season.

>What do you guys do for a living? Do you guys feel like you're in the right field or are you just faking in order to make a living?
Data engineering. I am; I like what I do and I definitely don't know everything. However, having the capacity to learn, adapt, troubleshoot and invent your own solutions puts you miles ahead. It's amazing how little effort it takes sometimes to impress others. Stuff that's second nature to me is groundbreaking to others in my department.

Work is interesting, good atmosphere, good pay/benefits, I don't have any complaints other than sometimes I get tripped up on simple things. Then again, those are my favorite problems, because the solution is so simple and then everything works like perfect.

What do you think of all the excessive lolacaust and sjw submissions?

Gov IT-consultant.
Sweetest job ever, it's like a nice spa.

Hey that's kind of what I'm trying to get into right now, I'm taking server administration classes at a community college right now, and plan on transferring to get my bachelors in information systems with a focus on networking.

Glad to hear some one likes it, I keep going back and forth between whether to keep on this path or trying to get into a trade, or business.

Question, I feel like I'm burning myself out trying to learn to many things at once in my spare time while also working and going to school. Should I focus solely on my classes, and work on other things in my free time when I have the energy and motivation to do so. It's come to the point where it feels like I'm forcing myself to do everything and I don't enjoy anything anymore right now.

Attached: games.jpg (400x553, 124K)

So producers are just Boomers?
I thought there's an agenda

CIA nigger

Was using the n-word really necessary? I mean who are you trying to impress?

I do experimental R&D work in appliances. It's every bit as soulless and uninteresting as you might imagine.

I'd quit in a heartbeat but the level of my education has priced me out of most job opportunities and I can't even land an interview unless it's for something identical to what I'm currently doing.

Sit down son. You've been missing church.

I'm actually a Pharmacy Technician right now but I study programming in my off time. I hope to get a job in either Cali (preferably not), Washington, or NYC. Might be going to college for CS again soon but I'm much more prepared than I was last time.

Boilermaker (mechanical trade) did post trade Cert IV in fluid power (pneumatics and hydraulics) doing post trade in Instrumentation today, basically the Advanced courses available for all OTHER trades. Also diploma and advanced diplomas of engineering (both mechanical and mechatronics - very similar delivery)

Then doing another apprenticeship as an electrician AND/OR a part time adv diploma of engineering technology.

I'll basically be a super tradesman and oil and gas jobs $400,000 very possible.

>very possible
But my motivation won't be

NEET, the new aristocracy.

Attached: image.jpg (866x635, 542K)

I kill pajeets for a living.

I’m gay for pay

Nigger

I call bullshit. Mechanical engineering technology jobs aren’t even 6 figures, let alone 400k

wow can you just fuck off?
I learned my lesson already, bigot.

I'm a stinky NEET and I make shitposts on Jow Forums all day for free!

if you haven't already gotten laid by the time you have an office job, it's probably never going to happen for you.

source: my entire life

>stinky neet
same, smelling like cheetos right now, about to go on a web dev "trade" 2 years of study

Army Mechanic, not what I want to do but the salary and allowances are great. Looking at studying programming so that I'll have a physically undemanding job if I get out

I'm a creative type of tech enthusiast, I'm a motion designer with 3D animation skills, I work in the advertising industry, right now I love what I do, but there was a time I really hated it because of a shitty job I had I literally day dreamed everyday of changing career, you need to understand that any career has its ups and downs and if you let any obstacle and hardship change your career you'll end up doing a 1000 different things and never being good on anything, work sometimes can be really shitty and it's just the way it is

Attached: 1534050044798.png (700x711, 1.45M)

What’s the Paki army like?

But are you queer for beer?

I just quit my sysadmin job, ive been working in IT since 1997 and im done , I can pretty much retire but will get some kind of work to keep me busy

I have a mechanical trade. I'm a tradie. associate degrees in 3 different fields. I have electrical, pneumatic, hydraulic post trade certifications as well as project management and WHS certs. I could easily be a foreman on a rig or superintendent on most sites. Oil and gas pays big when you are in those positions. Especially being a tradie who connects with the people who do the real shit, dirty work (but needed on any plant to keep it going). Brother in law does it and makes 450 a year. Worst case scenario 200k a year supervising maintenance crews on any one of the 200+ mine sites in my state

Suck my dick

NEET was always aristocracy

>no college
>software development
>130k/yr

Biochem grad student. Might switch to finance after I get my PhD for that sweet salary, or I might get into data science.

I fucked my last employer’s niece. Shit was so cache.

Can I learn via self study and somehow score a job?? Don't you also need to know how to program too?

I'm an equipment mechanic. People got mad when I made on board computer threads because they're /auto/ not te/g/nolojee.

Not to mention electrical trade and licence, I'll be able to oversee entire operations as well as able to DO stuff (because unlike yours, my skills extend past computer screens)

I more or less work as a "data scientist" in an academic setting, pretty comfy
>1 mile commute
>over 2 months leave saved up
>state benefits/comfy retirement/free insurance
>private office to myself
>door must be locked at all times (sensitive data)
>$5,000 32-core Xeon workstation
>a safe that only I have access to (doubles as my gold bullion storage)
>work an average of 2hrs/day
>mostly take naps and shitpost on Jow Forums
>2 hr lunch breaks

>cache

Attached: 3bb01_5830703.jpg (680x682, 68K)

I'm a sound designer currently freelancing. I think I am both faking it and not faking it. I'm pretty good, but there are some things I don't really know by heart (that I should)

I got a CS meme degree but I chose to teach English overseas.

I save well over $2,000 a month and work less than 20 hours per week. I have lots of time off and can fuck many women fairly easily. I don't see myself moving back to the US anytime soon.

Access-A-Ride driver.
It's okay. Used to be a pharmacy technician and it was simply awful.

how u do that without degree

Is it python or? That gig sounds really good.

I'm teaching at a public high school in China. Lots of people here work illegally (without a degree) but you'll be stuck teaching spoiled kids at after school English training centers working 40 hours a week on weekends and evenings.

33 years old
full stack dev for startup in tokyo
CS was a mistake - should have gone into finance
Japan was a mistake - Japs are passive-aggressive children

stay in the land of the free and work with money

ohnonono

Attached: xfkxpH9.jpg (1325x388, 69K)

forgot salary - 4 million yen (40k USD)

Yeah, I agree with that user but the money and time off are too good here. I earn $2700 after tax each month with a free apartment for playing games and watching movies with high school students for

諦めないでよ、外人ちゃん

I've seen people there that love working in Japan. The English teachers have low responsibility and short days. Maybe it's because you're involved in corporate tech culture

>Working in Japan
>For a Japanese company
You're supposed to work at foreign firms here.

But that's what they are...?

Yeah I'm interviewing. Lots of investment banks here, but you have to be at the top of your game. Anyone here can get in as long as you can ace 3 things:

- algorithms
- data structures
- domain knowledge of the department you are applying to

>The English teachers have low responsibility and short days

This is only true if you're in the JET program. Everyone else is stuck with 40-50 hour weeks with mediocre pay and no benefits since the ESL market there is saturated with weeaboos.

accountant here....dont like it but it pays ok and is secure, def doesn't pay as well as programming or software engineering but fuck it man....and if you're any good you end up working in SAP implementation and deployment etc which you Jow Forums faggots would be good at

but you're a fucking loser if you spend your life as a CPA

Yeah the teaching in Asia subreddits are full of people who got arrested for being there without a proper work visa. At least the English teachers in Japan come here legally. Not sure why Westerners would go to so much trouble to work in China illegally.

No I use SPSS and R.

knows the truth

The English schools are aware that Japanophiles are lining up to come to Japan, and they take advantage of them. When I was an English teacher I was shouted at and teachers were pressured to work on the weekend. They strip away all sense of identity like a concentration camp.

>At least the English teachers in Japan come here legally

Probably because it's an easier process there. China continues to add more hoops to jump through if you want to work here legally.

>Not sure why Westerners would go to so much trouble to work in China illegally

If you're going to teach ESL illegally it's probably the best country. I've been here 2 years and my legality has never been questioned by authorities.

Not if you're a consultant. Programming is just a perk. I'm
And one of my lab alumni is VP at his branch office. Basically they just hire any STEM grad that can hold a normal conversation (a surprising rarity here), train them on the job and then throw money at them.

I manage projects for a remote company.
The pay is not much, and is hourly based, $15, but it's okay. I basically get paid to ask developers what the fuck they're doing, why are they wasting company time and money over nothing, send the answers over telegram for my boss and... Thats it. All from the comfort of my living room.

Attached: 1532706486936.gif (200x120, 407K)

i collect your data for a living

>but you're a fucking loser if you spend your life as a CPA

Why they make a fuck ton of cash. Even more than a software engineer.

never do it for the money, do something you love. i followed the money in a career i loved and it ruined it. i work for a giant shit hole bank now and want to hang myself with the stax of $

GLOWING IN THE DARK

Not my data. I'm on a libreboot thinkpad

Flight test engineer

I mainly go flying (best part), do aero analysis (matlab/excel, often looking at wind tunnel data), and write code in matlab, python, and even sometimes the internal fortran-ish codes.

Honestly I really like the job, it's a lot of fun :^)

Attached: 1516487913432.png (448x357, 6K)

Web Dev jobs seem to be a dime a dozen. If that appeals to you, there are plenty of jobs. You'll want to make sure you know your stuff, though. The more full stack experience you can bring to the table, the better, too.

I recently started working as a consultant doing DevOps. Less programming than I'd like, but so far I like it. It pays well enough, I get to travel a bit, and more importantly, I can afford anime shit.

why do you insist on making my job more difficult? just submit

I'm not really sure what I want to do with my life. The corporate cut throat culture of tech sounds highly stressful. I wanna get into a skilled trade but I can't find any vocational schools near me. I live in a small town and the only thing I have is a community college. It feels like I'm in Silent Hill and my town is holding me back.

Networking helps. Do your parents have any connections that can get you a job?

Software engineering / programming in a small firm building highly modular automated pick-and-place/dispensing/soldering machines for.

I love it. Before starting this job factory automation was boring as hell to me. Now that I'm in it I find it interesting. I hate hunting bugs but love figuring out mathematical problems and writing documentation. So the other software devs do all the work I don't like, and I do the stuff they don't like. Win/win.

You need to pick your priorities. If you can only pick one (and it sounds like that is the case), would you rather have a good job but need to drive a few hours to visit your family every few weeks, or waste away in a shit job or with no job at all while your nearby family nags you about it?

I know a couple of programming languages, some webdev stuff, and a lot of linux. Am I better off looking for a programming job now or stick working IT support why I go back to school.

EE. Defense contracting. Six figures, five weeks vacation, every other Friday off, free health clinic at work. Totally worth sacrificing my morals.

I do big data dev in python

I was in analytics before, but fuck that shit I don't wanna have to keep up with retarded ML papers every fucking week and worry about bullshit probability trick questions in interviews.

I am very comfy in my corporate software job and my cubicle.

Very comfy with comfy++ pay.

Nigger faggot lover

The day when boomers die out will be a holy one

Attached: 1531849850375.jpg (400x393, 28K)

that pic about mandarin only makes me want to learn it more tbqh, handling undesirable races is alpha.

Attached: 1511138689932.gif (300x300, 1.91M)

graduated in CpE, been in 5 years doing low-level programming for a defense contractor, in the process of getting a new job that involves a higher-level language, less pay but less annoying and less camera watching everything I do

>tfw not even filling out applications due to how little my resume has even after adding a couple lines for a few school projects

have something impressive on GitHub

What is a good job title to give myself while I work at a startup?

Lead Full-Stack Software Engineer

Director of Engineering

Sounds too long

Is that legal? I have a degree in CpE but I don't do any engineering. I work for a super rich old dude who has a few business ideas. I am his sole technology guy so I am a cross between an IT monkey and a code monkey (website """code""", iOS/Android app, python scripts on server). He pays me fairly well but I see him retiring in

You can call yourself whatever you want. You are not claiming to be a professional engineer.

Lead Dumbass

You can call yourself whatever you want but if you lay on the bullshit too much with titles that you don't deserve, then you will get asked questions fitting of those titles when you get interviewed. Don't do that.

If you want to prepare yourself, don't stay in that "startup" unless you have no choice. You will fuck your career because you will be far below anybody whos spent those seven years working for a real company and anybody who interviews you seriously will see that.

I'm a junior attorney. In my country you have to work for two years at some other lawyer after the exam. Otherwise you kinda lose the possibility of working as a lawyer. After the two years are done, I'm going into webdev because fuck this shit.
What the hell is wrong with law? It seems everyone would want something else.