thehackernews.com/2018/09/cold-boot-attack-encryption.html

>encrypting your drives is not saving you from FBI anymore

You better behave Jow Forums

Attached: download.jpg (248x203, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fuwafuwa.moe/nr/freeme/#top
wilderssecurity.com/forums/encryption-problems.134/
github.com/veracrypt/VeraCrypt
alt.security.scramdisk.narkive.com/NDilc7Db/p-le-roux-author-of-e4m-accused-by-w-hafner-securstar
github.com/veracrypt/VeraCrypt/issues/269
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>fbi comes
>throw drive over fence to neighbors yard
>never caught

veracrypt doesn't use the TPM, kiddo

>eats the ram sticks
Nothing personel

Forget it. It has been created by an Arab, source code is not available, & encryption software from the EU must incorporate a backdoor.

Cough up some money & get BestCrypt. Source code has been published & you get a software that also secure erases files. Can be used on Win XP, btw.

Pix: Mounir Idrissi

Attached: F-2dy4Dl.jpg (480x640, 84K)

Is vera compromissed or not?

You don't want to end like this guy

fuwafuwa.moe/nr/freeme/#top

tl;dr

Probably another idiot who encrypted files & did not secure erase the original ones.

>Is vera compromissed or not?

Ask Mounir.

Seems to have a lot of technical issues, just like Truecrypt.

>3 posts randomly trashing veracrypt with unrelated articles while shilling some proprietary commercial shit
this is obvious astroturfing

>not wiping the contents of ram on shutdown
wtf were they thinking

>cold boot attack
Isn't that completely irrelevant? Pretty sure modern RAM doesn't keep its state for more than a few dozen seconds, so someone would literally have to instantly steal it right as I turn my back after switching off, and execute the attack right then and there. Not very likely.

Nope, just running a pomf.se clone that someone uploaded CP to
After his house was raided they then decided to charge him for his fleshlights because they looked childlike or something or had hentai on the packaging

Then use yr Veracrypt but don't complain on Wilders in three yrs time that you cannot open the container.

There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Then again, I guess whatever floats your boat, m8.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 146K)

> Now, researchers from Finnish cyber-security firm F-Secure figured out a new way to disable this overwrite security measure by physically manipulating the computer's firmware, potentially allowing attackers to recover sensitive data stored on the computer after a cold reboot in a matter of few minutes.

seriously?

>Finnish cyber-security firm F-Secure

Wow, did that come out of Bruce Schneier's kitchen?

F-Secure never ever managed to create decent AV s/ware. Not even in the Mid 90s.

>not backing up your vc to another vc
oppsie woopsie better not use a pc my files might corrupties thanks cia user

Attached: yourpost.jpg (600x600, 128K)

>burns your stock

Attached: 1501547198059.png (882x758, 241K)

This will only get used on bigger fish. Your memes are safe. For now.

>Seems to have a lot of technical issues, just like Truecrypt.

Whats the way to go, then

Not having anything to hide

Isnt Truecrypt 7.1a still supposed to be OK?

the fuck you guys have in your hard drives that you have the need to encrypt it?

i have bitlocker without tpm and veracrypt container

get fucked GITD (glow in the dark)

Attached: 1512055093623.png (300x236, 89K)

holy shit i was expectibg idrissi to look like Benzema

Attached: frances-captain-karim-benzema-reacts-during-their-international-friendly-soccer-match-against-brazil (1400x889, 120K)

>the fuck you guys have in your hard drives that you have the need to encrypt it?

>bank statement
>credit card statement
>tax filings
>scans of my passport & ID card
>& so on...

How else am I gonna protect all my memes from the EU?

(You)

Attached: 1fe.jpg (2448x3264, 493K)

If they got him do you think you are safe?

Attached: 1536544915206.png (640x480, 397K)

His brain absorbed by the hivemind of the scalies.

>Truecrypt 7.1a

Not with Win 10.

Check it out on Wilders Security.

>idrissi to look like Benzema

You mean Ben Allah?

Attached: alexandre-benalla-a-finalement-accepte-de-se-rendre-a-sa-convocation-photo-christophe-archambault-af (1600x1152, 178K)

Ahh OK - thanks.
Havent seen Wilders in many years. Dont like the new forum layout. Looked better back in 2005

Here, the TC link:
wilderssecurity.com/forums/encryption-problems.134/

Simple way to deal with this, only mount your important data encrypted partition when it is needed, then the key is much less likely to be in memory at any given time.

What about LUKS?

Pull the sticks out and turn off the power on the back and push the power button? Does that work?

*destroys my ram so my keys remain hidden*

>source code is not available
github.com/veracrypt/VeraCrypt
wots dis

Smashing. Then use it, m8.

Even pretending the CIA could somehow get into your encrypted files, unless you're literally hiding national secrets they're not going to expose that they have that ability to go after you for any illegal content you could possibly have.

>not compromising yourselves to the US intelligence agencies so that they can trust you

Attached: 1532640025915.png (275x316, 80K)

Veracrypt has been compromised since the day they copied everything over from the truecrypt codebase which was abandoned for being compromised.

An encrypted drive is the second to final layer of defense.
Most anons here use a browser that has multiple security flaws in terms of anonymous posting, google captcha and lets just completely forget the enabled java-scripts to even make a post. (here at least)
Most of the vpn ips are banned permanently or for regional abuse unless you buy a pass and how did you pay for said pass ? Probably with a credit card in your name.
Tor posting is also banned outright and again you would have to set the security level too low.
Its what you do on the net or irl that's going to fuck you, all systems are safe till you connect to the net. (excluding 10 and osx android ect)
Make a admin pass on your bios make sure your boot option only boots the drives os no external boot options encrypt the drive properly don't skip the meta data wash just don't be an adult go watch a movie or something.
Set a strong pass and strong root pass this is important. Please don't hide shit in a basic folder make a folder somewhere in your file system folders create a sytemctll or mappers folder insert sensitive "stuff" set permissions for the access to folders where root pass comes into being important.
The big thing here is If they show up at your door with a warrant they have something these steps only buy you a negotiating chip to be used in terms of a hopeful deal "a plead case with minimal damage to you"
I guess what im trying to say is if they have your drive your probably already fucked.

>Veracrypt has been compromised since the day they copied everything over from the truecrypt codebase which was abandoned for being compromised.

There also was an audit of TC, btw.

We don't really know what happened to TC. One theory is that one of the devs joined the EDP firm of a relative, so he had no time for TC.

However, I want encryption s/ware that works in 10 yrs' time & here, VC has no track record. Sorry.

Also, we don't know, whether the source code of VC really is the one they currently use. Last but but least, Idrissi has left the VC project for a short time, though he's now back.

In the past, I used Scramdisk & E4M but they are not maintained anymore & kind of have merged into SecurStar's DriveCrypt of our excellent friend Hafner, the blueboxer & snake-oil merchant.

Again, keep in mind that encryption software from Germany MUST inc. a backdoor (since the early 90s). France probably is the same.

I'm more concerned about criminals getting my data than the government, ranging from the common nigger thief to a more targeted attack by a non-government entity.

>Even pretending the CIA could somehow get into your encrypted files,

That's one of the reasons why you sld choose an encryption software that offers a wide range of algorithms.

>targeted attack by a non-government entity.

>Such as "Hacking Team" that was working for various governments...

I will, thanks. Good luck with whatever spyware you're shilling in this thread.

You never stood a chance in a battle of yourself vs the government anyway, so there's no reason to worry right now.

More concerned about organized crime desu. I've worked with some shitbags in the past, and didn't know until it was way too late.

>spyware you're shilling in this thread.

2 x womp & (You)

Attached: 1b8.png (404x266, 182K)

>"bestcrypt"
>paid "app"
>not some sort of spyware that literally no one has ever heard of, let alone audited or investigated, that you're being paid to shill
lel

I'm confused with wot you're trying to tell me

>More concerned about organized crime

Agreed. But law enforcement, e.g. tax office, also becomes an issue.

He realized that you're not stupid enough to fall for whatever bullshit he's shilling, and now he's done talking to you, as you're not going to fall for the scam. Also, by being dismissive to you it makes other suckers more interested.

Maybe but I think it's also likely that he doesn't know what he's talking about given that this is Jow Forums

I wrote already use yr VC & be happy.

Same shit will happen as with TC, E4M, & Scramdisk.

Again, I don't care.

>I'm confused with wot you're trying to tell me

Seems I woz wrong & the VC s/code is available. My mistake, sorry.

Don't want to shill.

No, he's affiliated with Jetico in some manner or another. He's being compensated to shill here. He's trying to use the usual "hard sales" bullshit that the average used car salesman employs. It's not actually working here, so now he's doing the "blow off" in the hopes of making it look like he doesn't care if you buy the product or not. He's THAT confident in it, you know! Oh, look at the reply that popped in as I was typing this. So predictable.

(You)

Attached: 04c.jpg (222x250, 10K)

No, it was really just you trying to jew people here with disinfo and a dangerous commercial program that you're being paid to shill.

I only use BestestCrypt Ultimate Edition V2.0

Attached: hackermane.jpg (500x500, 112K)

>It has been created by an Arab
Ah, a natural enemy of Jews.

Since you immediately follow to proceed with a bold lie we know what (((you))) are.

>he's affiliated with Jetico in some manner

Sure, sure, m8. I use their software for some 20 yrs now. Am affiliated in the sense that I pay my annual upgrade. That's all.

Also, form yr own opinion, brainlet. It's not forbidden.

Or go & get DriveCrypt. They got excellent "references.

And, by all means, google "wilfried hafner".

>please just stop blowing me the fuck out for shilling
>this is my job
>you are literally taking food out of my children's mouths
>you are a filthy jew
Are you okay, shill?

As far as I know I wasn't actively aiding any crimes they were committing. I just did what I was paid to do while fighting to stay legal. I'm more afraid that the people I worked for will send their underground connections after me.

> The attack is a new variation of a traditional Cold Boot Attack, which is around since 2008 and lets attackers steal information that briefly remains in the memory (RAM) after the computer is shut down.
Literally non-issue if you power off your device and don't let coppers access it for a few minutes.

Even article actually mentions that
>lets attackers steal information that _briefly_ remains in the memory (RAM)

No you for you.

Attached: C9L9wkEUAAAsCHA.jpg (396x379, 21K)

It's time to just stop, shill-kun. You did your job. It didn't work this time. Move on.

>It didn't work this time.
I don't know man, I have a sudden urge to install BestCrypt™.

Oh, my bad. Guess that faggot actually earned his shekels then.

Paul Calder Le Roux (born December 24, 1972 in Bulawayo, Rhodesia, now Zimbabwe) is a former programmer, former criminal cartel boss and informant to the US Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).
He created E4M, an open-source free Windows disk encryption software program, in 1999, and is a suspected creator of the open-source TrueCrypt, which is based on E4M's code. Le Roux is currently in US custody for ordering the assassinations of six people.

Okay, this is epic.

>faggot actually earned his shekels then.

Come outside, laddie!

Attached: begbie-1024x580.jpg (1024x580, 72K)

Not bad, fren, and now our "wilfried hafner"...

You make progress.

>Not bad, fren, and now our "wilfried hafner"...
Nothing of interest comes up, fuckboy.

>disable sleep mode, you have NVMe anyways and dont give a shit
Wow that was an easy fix.

That's not the case in France. But government is thinking about it. Otherwise, I thought VC was audited.

>cold boot
Okay so I hit the reset button instead of the power switch. Problem solved. Now it has useless info in RAM.

>Nothing of interest comes up

>Yeah, perhaps not to you, gasman.

alt.security.scramdisk.narkive.com/NDilc7Db/p-le-roux-author-of-e4m-accused-by-w-hafner-securstar

I log off.

>thought VC was audited.

That's correct.

Re Jupiter: You never know...

Ok, so? This is literally irrelevant to VC and even then it didn't compromise software. Do you have a point? Of course you don't.

Read the article, dipshit.

That requires too much of my time. Spoon feed me.

github.com/veracrypt/VeraCrypt/issues/269

As a Finn I can confirm this. They've always been the bottom of the barrel, with their software only found in the PCs of technologically illiterate people and the elderly.

hibernating to the encrypted swap then flushing memory would mitigate the issue though, cold boot attacks are not that reliable.

Did you seriously just throw a random issue at us?
It's interesting how you switched from Wilfried Hafner back to VC too. It's almost like you have no clue what to talk about.

And this has what do with anything you've been babbling about all thread, shill?

>Isn't that completely irrelevant? Pretty sure modern RAM doesn't keep its state for more than a few dozen seconds, so someone would literally have to instantly steal it right as I turn my back after switching off, and execute the attack right then and there. Not very likely.
Forensic reports are public in Sweden once the prosecutors case is ready and the trial beings. I have read quite a few computer-related ones.

A pretty common theme in higher-profile cases where they suspect encryption is used is to watch and come through the window swat-style when the computer is on and the target is away from it (going to the bathroom or something). Grabbing people with laptops in public places is also common. Cold-boot attacks become relevant if you're at a cafe and you lock your screen and go to order something and that kind of situation.

The article linked in OP seems intentionally misleading or it's written by someone who's actually clueless because you are right about RAM not keeping it's state for very long after the machine is powered down. It's not like you can grab a random PC which has been off for hours and do a cold boot attack. BUT it is important to remember that if you put a laptop into sleep/suspend mode then RAM does remain powered.

what do you have in your letter which requires you to put it in an envelope when you could just send a postcard?

What do I have to hide? EVERYTHING. See, my personal life isn't any of your business.

>so someone would literally have to instantly steal it right as I turn my back after switching off, and execute the attack right then and there
*dips your laptop into liquid nitrogen*
nothing personel, kid

Shifting the goalpost so you can exercise your 50 % McDo grease brain a bit.

Attached: moving goalposts.jpg (600x450, 101K)

Yeah, that's what I thought. You really are full of shit.

you sound like poorfag who cannot afford f-secure software

God, this is the most pathetic shilling attempt on Jow Forums currently.

>20 different shills all trying to get people to use literally anything but vc
This is obviously not the work of some three letter agency and anything who thinks so is a paranoid nutcase.

>You really are full of shit.

>Schafseckel (You)

Attached: john-dunsworth1.jpg (700x393, 152K)

Well, VC is free, that's why ppl use it. Was the same with TC.

I'm sorry. I take it all back. Tell me more about how John McAfee is helping Wilfred Brimley or whoever to steal our data using CIA laser satellite arrays all while VeraCrypt is literally selling children into slavery.

Really, it all sounds so scary. Would it help if I purchased a BestCrypt™ commercial license from the trustworthy folks over at Jetico® software? I don't want to help VC kill any more innocent children, after all.

Attached: 1531843274936.jpg (465x493, 44K)

Free AND open source!

THEN USE IT & GO BACK TO YR TRAILER, fucking hick.

Someone's a little mad his shilling didn't work. lel