We have reached peak smartphone

There is a reason why the Samsung Galaxy S9 and iPhone XS were only minor improvements to the Galaxy S8 and iPhone X.

Until a few years ago, phones were becoming bigger and bigger because of increased demand for larger screens. However, a phone that is too large becomes unwieldy and so phone makers started to reduce the size of the bezels instead. It is now common for even mid-range smartphones to be nearly all-screen and in a few years, we can expect budget devices to do the same. Once that happens, all the phones that you see in the store will look exactly the same.

Meanwhile, the technology behind the screens themselves have peaked too. The latest flagship phones all offer OLED displays that are capable of displaying true blacks and pixel densities that the human eye is incapable of differentiating. Beyond 300 ppi, you start getting diminishing returns. Beyond 400-500 ppi, any improvements become imperceptible.

Thirdly, Moore's law is coming to an end. With 7 nm chips in the latest iPhones, we are likely one process shrink away from reaching the limits of silicon. At 5 nm, quantum tunneling becomes an issue that is impossible to ignore. This means that continued increases in CPU and GPU processing power and power efficiency will grind to a standstill.

My prediction is that the Galaxy S10 and iPhone 11 will only be minor incremental improvements to the Galaxy S9 and iPhone XS. Beyond this, it's hard to say what will happen to the smartphone industry. Of course, people will still buy new smartphones when their old ones break but the current trend of newer and better phones being released every year will no longer apply.

At last but not least, if there was ever a perfect time to purchase a new smartphone then that time is probably today. A flagship phone from today is unlikely to ever become obsolete. As crazy as it sounds, that Galaxy S8/9 or iPhone X in your pocket might still be considered cutting-edge 10, 20, or even 40 years from now.

Attached: Apple-iPhoneX-Silver-1-3x.jpg (934x1500, 84K)

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/06/ibm-5nm-chip/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Normalfags will still drop their 1k phones on purpouse just to have an excuse to get a new one

I can’t really see where they can go from here either.

I want to upgrade from my SE because of screen size and waterproofibg but other than that even this thing is just fine and its a budget phone from 2.5 years ago.

>the technology behind the screens themselves have peaked too
In terms of PPI and contrast yes there the best your going to get but OLED screens still have issues with longevity, There is more than can be done

>that Galaxy S8/9 or iPhone X in your pocket might still be considered cutting-edge 10, 20, or even 40 years from now.
While I agree with you that a Galaxy S9 while hold up for years in terms of hardware grunt, the device itself will be as good as dead in a much shorter time.

It better be good. I’m about to fucking drop $1600 on a fucking phone

Phones are the new computers anyway. Spending 1600 on a desktop or laptop wasn’t weird, but now the phone has become the main device.

An iPhone XS is not going to do a single thing the iPhone X didn't do

They got that horrible notch

There's lots to improve. How about removable batteries again. About physical buttons again, but with the camera there too so that we have a place for it and no stupid notches.

Attached: 1521103288617.gif (500x517, 767K)

at that point maybe phone software will become more efficient. there's tons of inefficiencies going on so you can get huge performance and efficieny gains in that direction

t. NPC
Phones can't do shit.

"i gutta render muh math equations and play bideo games!"
Autist

Performance wise, yes. But there could be new types of phones.
In the "classic" category, there will be bendable and/or transparents (I really hope we will get those) phones.
More "exotic" ones could be integrated into the skin or baka.

I could see in 20 years micro phones, that are as powerfull as 2000-2005 phones but that can fit on a contact lense.

Honestly I think the classic desktop UI on PC/smartphones will die in a few decades to a system that doesn't exist yet

Attached: 1510945062263.png (540x540, 308K)

Wft , meant to write "something" instead of "baka". Not even a phone poster.

>can't edit audio
>can't edit video
>can't edit images
>can't write documents
>can't write software
>can't play gaymes
>usually can't even fucking multitask
>need an app for everything
>missing basic, simplistic, fundamental functionality like ports, expandable storage, and headphone jacks
>no choice of os

>talks about reaching the peak
>the display in OP image is actually missing the top
what did he mean by this?

Attached: 1523710810063.png (640x640, 708K)

Solving math equations is way more valuable than playing with an expensive toy.

This, phones fail entirely as general purpose computers.

Eventually you run out of idiots.

Probably gay word filters at it again
something

1600 on a laptop is definitely way too much. And on a desktop you get a decent homebuild.

>cant edit audio
wrong
>cant edit video
wrong
>cant edit images
wrong
>cant edit documents
Lol what? wrong
>cant write software
not your job
>cant play games
mobile games
>cant multitask
wrong
>needs an app for everything
>>Linux needs a packet manager for everything
>missing things
ok?
>no choice of OS
yes you do

You arent qualified.

I'm still using a OPO and a 5s, phones have peaked years ago if you don't need superfluous shit.

>a 1-2ghz phone processor and 4gb of ram is enough to edit video, audio and images
>you can write documents and software with your thumbs at 30wpm
>mobile games are just as good as non-mobile games
>needing a package manager for every program is the same thing as needing a different application for every website
>selling the os with the hardware and being unable to change it is the same thing as choice

I don't think that way, the next step, that samsung is already taking is being able to dock your phone and use it as a desktop os. Still the hardware might be able to fit the need.

I have a 7 Plus

I only care about few things in a mobile device
>long battery life
>good and large screen, absolutely no notch
>waterproof
>headphone jack
>wireless charging
After that it's mostly about software since every modern phone is fast enough. I got the S8+ after S9+ came out so it was on a discount. This feature list is definitely not being too greedy and asking for too much, but sadly there aren't many phones that check all the boxes. Mostly because of Apple setting the dumbest trends. I can't be the only one who wants this device? It sounds so normal and practical.

Old news. Sales have already peaked 2 years ago.

Attached: 2018.04.18smartphonesimf.jpg (373x536, 30K)

>At 5 nm, quantum tunneling becomes an issue that is impossible to ignore. This means that continued increases in CPU and GPU processing power and power efficiency will grind to a standstill.

Sorry NPC, better respawn elsewhere.

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/06/ibm-5nm-chip/

Attached: npc_brainlet2.jpg (399x437, 18K)

>muh goalposts
get beat the fuck out retard.

Waiting for 240hz 4k oled bezeless

I still love my lenovo note 3

Phones can do everything 99% of the population wants or needs to do.

Yes and the 500$ phone can do that too.

I agree, but that doesn’t make spending more for a flagship necessarily a bad move if it’s something you enjoy.

Foldable phones, op, you missed that one. It's the next meme.
There will be cheaper versions of foldable phones.
Then holographic displays.
Phones that can be folded into an arm band. Etc.

this is what we call projection.

>a 1-2ghz phone processor and 4gb of ram is enough to edit video, audio and images
It is
>you can write documents and software with your thumbs at 30wpm
Then don't.
>mobile games are just as good as non-mobile games
buy a fucking switch than you autistic fuck.
>needing a package manager for every program is the same thing as needing a different application for every website
Then use the web versions retard.
>selling the os with the hardware and being unable to change it is the same thing as choice
There's no need to change OS's on a phone.
If you're gonna shift goalposts, why pick such fucking shitty ones?

“peak” implies it only goes down from here yet in your post you say say there will be minor incremental improvements. admitting there will be improvements of any kind means we haven’t peaked. Q.E.D. you are a brainlet

Hopefully in the future you'll be able to build a phone to the specs of you're liking much like PC's of today.

Attached: 20180825_233952.jpg (2294x2407, 360K)

There is still some fringe tech like 3d or foldable phones that might take generations to perfect. Other than that I agree there isnt much they can do now besides improve the battery or some camera marketing crap.

>tfw samsung won't give you new android releases
>just buy it
>it seems like people prefer iphones because they get continued updates even though some of those updates take up storage space and slow down the phone
>how could this happen
>solution: more bixby

wishful thinking

>Galaxy S8/9 or iPhone X in your pocket might still be considered cutting-edge 10, 20, or even 40 years from now.

Nope, they’ll find some cool new feature in 2-3 years and people will go crazy over it

>removable batteries in 2018

>removing convenience is an improvement

I don't understand this meme. What's so special about 9.0 that Samsung needs to update RIGHT FUCKING NOW?

Because it's a flagship phone that cost upwards of $750 new. If anyone is paying that much for a phone, the manufacturer damn well better make sure it has the latest OS upgrade available as soon as possible. One year later is not as soon as possible.

This is why I left my Samsung Galaxy s8 for an Android one phone. I will never buy another Samsung flagship. I had the s4,s5,s7,s8. No more for me. Samsung blows. Mid-range phones honestly do just as well.

ok, but what features do 9.0 have which make it essential that Samsung push out a 9.0 update?

Your creative fiction night classes are starting to pay off.

Will x64 become obsolete in our lifetimes?

It's not about the features you nitwit. It's the money you paid into the phone. Flagship are supposed to be the top of the line. Having last year's OS is not top of the line. But features you'd want:

>Better power saving (adaptive battery)
>Upgrade to the Google assistant (fuck that bixby garbage)
>Better AI(slices)
>IMPROVED SECURITY

Sounds like a pretty minor update with marketing buzzwords. I couldn't care less if Samsung takes another few months to push out an update.

If I want last year's OS I'll buy a 300 to 500 mid-range phone instead of the Samsung flagship for 750 to 1000 worth the same OS with shittier skins.

My overall experience with the Note 9 isn't negatively affected by a slow Android update, sorry. The s-pen is fucking amazing and the phone is beautiful.

You "STOCK ANDROIIIIIID" "FAST UPDAAATESS FOR NO REAAAASONNNN" autists are cringey af

See
Also the S9 won't get pie until July or August.

Also me
Paying 500 dollars less for a phone that does 85% of the same shit.

>But muh s pen

Couldn't give 2 fucks if they waited until the S10 to push out 9.0. Right now their top priority is making the S10 the best phone they possibly can. Now that they're the only flagship with a headphone jack and no notch people will look past the slow updates anyway and they know that.

Don't fix what ain't broken. Let Samsung have enough time to make sure everything works correctly.

those keyboards are shit. can’t have multiple monitors. context switching is too clunky. not programming on a fucking iphone no sir no thank you

>At 5 nm, quantum tunneling becomes an issue

Regurgitated memes so confidently spewed out. Fucking retard. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Go ahead and keep giving your money to dumbass south Koreans you simple minded Samsung fanboys. I'll spend the money I save on cool shit while you guys pay for useless gimmicks(features) and shitty skins while thinking Samsung is upgrading the OS with shitty bloatware that are just apps Google makes better versions of.

>removable batteries
>physical buttons
get with the times grandpa

Can you mine crypto currency in your phone? then STFU

underage b&

bendable phones would be epic, imagine folding your phone so small that you can put it into your wallet

Nigger nowadays you can't even mine on a GPU.

Why don't they make audio improvements? Oh that's right because they are all marketed to teenage girls who use Snapchat

>he listens to music
Look at this NPC

No, have reached peak smartphone with SGS5. Since then smartphone design has been deteriorating with every year
>removable batteries? Nope, buy new phone.
>straight glass is too hard to break and too cheap to replace, let's go curved
>you thought only one side of the phone can get cracked? nope, glass is on the back now too
>come to think about it, glass is not brittle enough, ceramic is where it's at

That Samsungs doing. Fucking Koreans.

what a phone needs
1. sd card slot
2. removable battery
3. 3.5mm jack
4. as much battery life as possible
5. 1080p screen and some mid tier cpu
that's it. everything else is made up garbage for retards

Honestly I could trade the removable battery for waterproofing and wireless charging,.

You're on Jow Forums, where anyone who does more than shitpost about smartphones doesn't fit into that 99%. And I bet it's not 99% either. Even a regular office drone wants a nice external monitor and keyboard. Of course you can connect those to a phone, but at that point it's just as convenient as a regular PC.

record stereo audio

>Needing to record in stereo on a phone

Why? What's the point?

>As crazy as it sounds, that Galaxy S8/9 or iPhone X in your pocket might still be considered cutting-edge 10, 20, or even 40 years from now.
no. they will be seen as an obsolete technology when AR glasses get released.

IR too you stupid cunt

> There is a reason why the Samsung Galaxy S9 and iPhone XS were only minor improvements to the Galaxy S8 and iPhone X.

Maybe Samsung have run out of improvements. iPhone X to XS has, in one year:

- 0 more pixels

- 0 more ppi

- 0 more megapixels

- 0 more advertised Ghz

- 0 more advertised MB RAM

- 0 more K video capture

- 0 more advertised hours of battery life

- no hydra or siamese twin support in FaceID

- 0 more sockets

- 1 more Bionic

- 1 more iOS

- water proof rating closing in on 69, dude

> Beyond this, it's hard to say what will happen to the smartphone industry.*

Apple will sell new Watches, competitors will go "omg we forgot to plan for what to do when phones run out of room for development, quick, copy Apple, put some shovelware into the new Samsung Wortczh - omg omg look it has ~ themes ~".

> unlikely to ever become obsolete. As crazy as it sounds, that Galaxy S8/9 or iPhone X in your pocket might still be considered cutting-edge 10, 20, or even 40 years from now.*

pic related

Attached: maxresdefault[1].jpg (2250x3000, 512K)

Nobody wants IR anymore. A communications thing that doesn't involve an advertising based cloud service? Literally unusable.

They think way ahead of us user, non removable batteries and finnicky glass phones guarantee that you and every other normie will eventually have to buy another phone in less than three or four years, batteries only last 3 or 4 years of use until they show noticeable degradation. Most all glass phones are incapable of having a battery changed without the back cracking and maybe even shattering.

I don't understand how people have this problem at all, just buy from a carrier that is known for having quick updates, I habe owned the same s7 edge since it came out and I updates come out fairly quickly, I constantly have to update my phone and I have the newest version of Oreo.

Attached: latest1.jpg (292x337, 8K)

pic would be related only in the context of the iPhone Upgrade Program
>Get a new iPhone every year
>AppleCare+ coverage included
>Low payments from $37.41/month
>Works with your carrier

Newest version of Oreo is over a year old. Pie has been here for over a month.

Apple finally reached Samsung's level of water and dust ingress protection.
But Samsung still has a headphone jack...

>over a month
I agree with you honestly but oreo is fairly new and pie doesn't look/do anything different other than gestures, I would probably try out the iPhone Xs/max for a year or two if I had the dough just for those sweet updates, I guess you could buy the pixel but the pixel two is a no for me and I rather not be that poor person that gets a contract for a phone.

I just checked (((out of curiosity))), and it's 35 dollars a month for a 256gb model iPhone x, which honestly isn't that bad but I'd rather wait for when I can actually afford it.

Yes, with keyboards? So you have this big and thin phone with a keyboard.

Nah m8 think of phones 10 years ago. Dog shit compared to now. We will plateau in maybe design for awhile but it will progress

Next innovation is going to be make-to-break bullshit. With no new technical innovation to lure in idiots, they'll just make it so that every single flagship model is going to break after 2 years of use (right after the warranty has expired). Every single moron who has bought these phones will immediately rush to buy another 0,5k-1k phone when their old one breaks. New phones will also have some cosmetic "upgrades" (changing colors or where the buttons are located) so that fuckfaces can show off to everyone that this is indeed the absolute newest 2kUSD iPhone Xd and not the least year's model

The amazing thing is how these companies get you to buy these useless products that don't add any value to your life. The only advancement that modern smart phones brings over the nokia 1110 is a good GPS map application. Everything else is for you fucking moron kids to look at while you are out in the world instead of interacting with the world you are in like stupid zombie retards.

oh and a better camera as well.

oh and a better screen

>There is a reason why the Samsung Galaxy S9 and iPhone XS were only minor improvements to the Galaxy S8 and iPhone X.
We have seen this before.

Yeah that too, but the screen was good enough generations earlier. "We have a better screen", "we have a better camera". These are all very minor increments that are massively exaggerated. You put any of the latest $1000 smartphones in low light situations and the camera still turns to complete shit.

Is this a shitpost? That's exactly his point. Optimal design + end of Moore's Law means we won't see significant further progress relative to the current gen

Normalfag detected. How many times have you dropped your phone?

2018 and I've never dropped mine

Checked and Very much THIS

The ARA/Phoneblock project, thought it's been killed by pajeets from jewgle.

I just want pic related but with modern tech.
Is that so much to ask for?
Why is everyone producing identical slabs of glass? Where have the various form factors gone? Why have phones actively degraded in usability? Where are the phones that fit my hand and can be controlled comfortably without one looking like a child pawing away on an oversized toy?

Attached: nokia-n95-mobile-price.jpg (1200x738, 437K)

This, though I'd take a phone without moving parts, harder to break.