/ag/&/am/: audio general & audiophile memes

Friday Soon Edition

Attached: Mark-Audio-Gold.jpg (856x523, 276K)

Other urls found in this thread:

audiovintage.fr/leforum/viewtopic.php?t=24205
audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/cdp-307esd.42938/
ebay.com/itm/B-W-Series-2-B-W-Book-Shelf-SPEAKERS-Center-Channel-BOWERS-WILKINS-CC6-DM602
open.spotify.com/track/2G7V7zsVDxg1yRsu7Ew9RJ?si=irTP3f6oT2qyDgxP_GMupw
audioshopping.de/pdf/vifa/vifa_8ne125_4.pdf
diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/82425-pass-x250-5-channel-hum.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The Old Ones:

Attached: 11414879166_4f8840a669_c.jpg (532x800, 173K)

The Deep Ones

Attached: Pensil6.jpg (417x314, 43K)

"With only a slight churning to mark its rise to the surface, the thing slid into view above the dark waters. Vast, Polyphemus-like, and loathsome, it darted like a stupendous monster of nightmares to the monolith, about which it flung its gigantic scaly arms, the while it bowed its hideous head and gave vent to certain measured sounds."

Attached: the ancient ones.jpg (600x385, 36K)

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!"

Attached: the Undying One.jpg (1600x1023, 399K)

Any info on the Sony CDP-307ESD? Or should I just keep hunting for a good price on a CDP-302ES?

audiovintage.fr/leforum/viewtopic.php?t=24205
it looks alright
the dac in it is probably outdated

Attached: platine sony cdp 307 004.jpg (800x600, 187K)

"green edifices of light, oceans of space, strange music, and shadowy mountains and valleys. But most of all did he dwell upon some mysterious blazing entity that shook and laughed and mocked at him. This vast, vague personality seemed to have done him a terrible wrong and to kill it in triumphant revenge was his paramount desire. In order to reach it... he would soar through abysses of emptiness 'burning' every obstacle that stood in his way"

Attached: mommy im scared.jpg (900x569, 96K)

"No, Dad! It's not a speaker! It's a Portal! Dad! Dad NO! Get away from it Dad! no! NoooOooOOoOOoooo!"

Attached: ddd2a07cb36bf7fd285bf290a58526a3--hifi-audio-loudspeaker.jpg (700x541, 67K)

audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/cdp-307esd.42938/
old CD players can have probs

100% horn loaded systems are glorious. Prove me wrong

No, they are great...

Attached: Big Horn Speakers 7.jpg (960x554, 117K)

Where'd the sticky to these threads go?

Anyway, I just moved into a new place and I want some nice speakers for music and movies for the living room. Should I get one set that does both really well or two sets for individual purchases?

I have a budget of $500

Obstacles in abysses of emptiness?

Attached: kef_sp3235_1493552673_a698f09d.jpg (1080x1080, 141K)

Spend 450 on the speakers, and 50 on a used receiver.

Do it now. UNDERSTAND??

Attached: Nickie Vinciguerra.jpg (1024x682, 189K)

...if you are old and can no longer hear, see or feel

Attached: MTc1ODM3Ng.jpg (464x296, 40K)

Which ones

>implying horns are required to be loud

Attached: 619-05448664en_Masterfile.jpg (450x299, 28K)

And don't get none of that Bose crap. Ain't nobody like that shit.

Oh, something like this, but off craigslist so no shipping.

ebay.com/itm/B-W-Series-2-B-W-Book-Shelf-SPEAKERS-Center-Channel-BOWERS-WILKINS-CC6-DM602

Does it make any sense to get a hifi setup if I’m not playing analog? 320kbpd is enough for me.

It's not required. Most people use headphones.

Amazing headphones/speakers will still sound amazing user.

Shitty sources don't make hi-fi equipment sound equal to shit-fi equipment.

Attached: Yamaha NS-5000.jpg (1920x1080, 133K)

big horns

Attached: Klangfilm.jpg (566x386, 30K)

Attached: 01.jpg (1000x1386, 395K)

Attached: 03.jpg (1000x1386, 210K)

looks like someone was inspired by my Alpair post

Attached: get_stuffed.jpg (2048x1152, 345K)

a good 2.1 system should be able to do both easily.

>perceptual limitations is enough for me
no shit user, nobody can hear better than 320k. go nuts.

HOW THE FUCK DO I CHOOSE AN AMP TO GO WITH PASSIVE SPEAKERS EVERYTHING ONLINE IS FAGGOTS SAY LOL IT DEPENDS AND EVERY YOUTUBE VIDEO THE ENTIRE COMMENTS ARE TELLING THE POSTER THEY ARE A STUPID FAGGOT. WHY IS IT SO HARD TO GIVE BASIC GUIDELINES REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Attached: images (1).jpg (512x288, 7K)

get a Class D amp, either bareboard from ebay/aliexpress (tpa3116d2, tda7498) or buy a commercial one from Dayton, SMSL, Topping etc

audio reproduction has already been solved and all amps sound the same. just get whichever looks the nicest and has the features and connections you need.

This

Same for speakers. The cheap ones are shit, but everything above will be good enough so that nobody can tell in a blind test.

This.

I disagree on speakers. Speakers there are some really expensive ones that sound like shit or have a non-nuetral sonic signature to them. I say just demo them at home and pick whatever you like the most. Most brands have pretty long return policies so you can listen to a lot of content over a long period of time.

I need a good CD/tape player that also has an aux cord. What do you recommend?

>Speakers there are some really expensive ones that sound like shit or have a non-nuetral sonic signature to them. I say just demo them at home and pick whatever you like the most. Most brands have pretty long return policies so you can listen to a lot of content over a long period of time.
I can agree with you on this to some degree. In my experience those that have a sonic signature are usually those that have manufacturers that walk around screaming that their speakers offer more bass or high end "for clarity" or whatever. If they do not their speakers will usually be very, very close to one another.

Anyone with an aux.

Nobody seems to be posting their setups so I guess I’ll post mine
I think my Sony SS-CS3’s sound fantastic if you’re looking for suggestions. I bought a used amp at my local music store, a Kenwood KR v5560 for $75 and it works just fine. I guess these things have a reputation for being really durable. If you’re able to find one online I’d say grab one because they’re great and LOUD

Attached: 706BA51C-D22A-47C8-B231-D6FA0EE3285E.jpg (3024x3024, 2.07M)

>class D
don't do this.
Get a class AB instead.

why do you hate efficiency?

These Klipsch R-14M are working great on my desk. I saw a good price, so I ordered them. I was using Fluance Signature bookshelves, but they were a bit too bulky. I also think these Klipsch sound much better for near field listening. I'm using a sub too (80hz crossover - Denon AVR). I'm very happy with the sound.

Attached: klipsch R-14M.jpg (500x500, 31K)

Attached: 7621473.jpg (2048x1365, 132K)

Was wondering when KEF would get around to releasing new models.
Why do they keep rating them as 8 ohms speakers? With any luck, the phase angle will not be too severe.
Looks to have a slight downward treble tilt, less severe than the previous R series and Reference.

Attached: 20180905194541_R-Walnut-White-LineupWeb.jpg (765x574, 57K)

is there a bass ditsortion at 0:55 in this track?
because I can hear it with my headphones but not with my speakers
open.spotify.com/track/2G7V7zsVDxg1yRsu7Ew9RJ?si=irTP3f6oT2qyDgxP_GMupw

Not that I can hear.

Mine looks like shit so I rarely post it. Working on making it look nice. Maybe in a few months.

I like yours. I'd pull those speakers away from the wall 1-2ft though if you can.

I don't have one, just waiting for speakers and then I will have a small setup for my PC.

hello audio autists

how to make cassettes sound good?

Any decent cassette player will sound just fine. Make sure the heads are clean.

aren't butcher blocks overkill? how stiff does the cabinet need to be?

All amps don't sound the same. All speakers don't sound the same. I wish you'd post your set ups before making these claims because I'd tell you what would make your system sound better.

it's just for aesthetics, using solid wood over ply or mdf is generally frowned upon in speaker building as they tend to crack, hence all the faux wood veneers used.

Attached: WhatsApp Image 2018-09-14 at 18.54.50.jpg (1200x1600, 100K)

Yes gweilo just buy lepai its guuuud

Looks cool.
>butcher block
What is that?
Also what are the triangular prisms for?
Are they stiffening members?

>buy a record
>get a newspaper with a bunch of dick jokes in it
What are you listening to tonight, /ag/?

Attached: IMG_20180914_210309.jpg (2560x1920, 2.56M)

>What is that?
it's the material these are made from , bunch of offset solidwood rectangles stuck together to make a sheet.

>Also what are the triangular prisms for?
>Are they stiffening members?
They're serving as a bit of bracing of the side panels but more so it's to align the front panel with the sides properly because I'm an idiot and assembled the cabinet in the wrong order leaving the front baffle to last. usually the back or a side would be last to go on.

Attached: DP18-6366_20180307_Kitchens_ButchersBlock_dt_bnr_3-1_KitchenImage.jpg (496x400, 37K)

Regency makes nice woodstoves.

noice

qt

How do those speakers sound? Is that a coaxial driver or what?

just get some monitors and an audio interface ffs

Passive speakers give you so many more options though.

What would those things even sound like?

The mite in my speakers finally have fucked off.
Just rubbed soap into the fineer till no end.

Attached: 14435625.jpg (1980x1539, 935K)

for the sake of argument

tell me about these options

you can choose an amp that will suit you sound preference
you can choose cables between the amp and speakers to make final adjustments to the sound

Well, obviously more speaker options, I won't get into specific ones, but theoretically any. If you want to run a sub properly (all speakers need subs btw), active speakers won't do the trick. You'll need a receiver that will set crossovers (AVR or similar), or a sub wired and using it's own crossover. With active speakers you are stuck with the amplifier that's built in.

they sound ok, good for their size in the large room they're in right now. 2.5" drivers can only go so loud at full range.

annoyingly, there's quite a bit of phasing when you walk around, which I haven't noticed with other speakers in that position. might just need to change the angle or distance between them.

audioshopping.de/pdf/vifa/vifa_8ne125_4.pdf

>you can choose cables between the amp and speakers to make final adjustments to the sound
shut the fuck up

forgot sim

Attached: vifa.png (1920x1221, 236K)

>shut the fuck up
sorry it's not my problem you have damaged your hearing listening to shitty active speakers

im the dude who asked you

he's somebody else

whatever cable moran

Hey, has anyone used Audiosource AMP200 - these are A/B and inexpensive ($250 new) but they have a reputation for cheap parts and for dying.

Attached: home-audio-amplifier-osd-amp200-high-current-48.jpg (650x479, 84K)

What's a good pre-amp like Schitt's Freya that's not made by Schitt?

I want to feed at least three sources into at least three outputs. RCA is fine.

Nice additional features would be non-preamp line-out outputs or DAC input/output.

an AV receiver from Yamaha or Sony?

I had an amp100. Sounded horrible to me

Attached: project.jpg (1281x982, 147K)

>quality
>muh wattz

Attached: 1509119678143.gif (645x773, 41K)

Why do those types of speakers exist at all? like 2 or 3 in one

>Recommending class AB over D, when A is obviously the superior choice all the time every time

Isn't choosing a good a class amp like walking inna minefield?

thanks

not always practical because you have to leave them on, and they produce a lot of heat, and they have HUM all of them, and they have higher noise floor, and theyre high maintenance

yes

>not always practical because you have to leave them on
For what reason?
>and they produce a lot of heat
True
>and they have HUM all of them
What hum are you talking about?
>and they have higher noise floor
If you're comparing to class D yes they do
>and theyre high maintenance
What?

Is 5.1 a big benefit over 2.1?

movies maybe
music listening naw
games yeah

what about 7.1 and now the "more" atmos or whatever?

haven't heard those

It's a single full range driver. The idea is that because it's producing all the frequencies, it doesn't need a crossover. Plus there are no time alignment issues because there's no separation of where the midrange and treble are coming from. The cabinet is mostly just to scavenge at much bass from the back of the driver as possible.

diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/82425-pass-x250-5-channel-hum.html

Honestly, 5.1 works good enough that it's more of a hassle to rearrange your living room to accommodate a pair of side channels than it's worth. Atmos just adds a pair of speakers pointing up at the ceiling to bounce sound back down on to you, giving the illusion of things coming from above. Adding atmos speakers is an easier option. Some front main speakers already come with the extra drivers built in on top.

Just chiming in that often times there's nothing in the 2 extra channels anyway.

Soon they'll have 10.2, because the more speakers, cables and amplifiers you buy, the more dealers win.

Reading page 2 only tells me its a design flaw

Nautilus! Son!! Like a 2001 Ferarri. Still haven't heard it tho.

Attached: 20180525_204350.jpg (4032x3024, 410K)

Sorry, Boss - it's nice and all, but we've got these DAC thingies nowadays that play everything!

Attached: 20180524_145045.jpg (4032x3024, 339K)

Hows the crossfeed on the unit?

WOW emoji! WTF, Holy Shit! Bet you walk away asking people to speak up so you can hear them? That's B'Dass

Attached: 20180529_131023.jpg (3024x4032, 330K)

About the same slant as your shitposts.

Attached: 20180524_144019.jpg (4032x3024, 371K)

Class A amps have a grainy sound when cold-started. They need about 1-2 hours to "warm up". Not sure of the electrical reason for this. Some people who have toroidal amps also think their amp is not good because there is a grainy sound -- it turns out they have to be turned on for a while -- sometimes longer than 2 hours. Some Class A manufacturers, for these reasons, have their amps idling in constant "on". You can imagine that a 300 wpc rated amp will drive up your electricity bill. In some situations, they overheat a bit and burn up the internal components a little bit at a time. This is one reason why some people avoid getting "Class A" integrated amps -- because the amplifier section cooks everything else... a little here, a little there. It's better to separate the heater from the other stuff by putting the other stuff in a separate preamp. This also lets you select different preamps for their particular voice. And that way you don't have to replace everything.

Attached: 150a-reference-series-1-belles.jpg (1882x1135, 336K)

Shitposter gonna shit

Attached: huh46.jpg (640x410, 108K)

So you don't use it? I'm actually wondering how well it's implemented, I don't use headphones without it. Also fuck you.

Did reality trigger you? Feel free to look it up on the Internet.