/spg/ - Smartphone General

New iPhones Edition

>iPhone XS: $999 (64GB), $1,149 (256GB), $1,349 (512GB)
>iPhone XS Max: $1,099 (64GB), $1,249 (256GB), $1,449 (512GB)

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: npatel_180912_2947_0016_clean.jpg (1200x628, 112K)

Other urls found in this thread:

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.podcasts
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.books
youtu.be/IXLvNrUTUYw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I have a pocomeme.

What do i use for playing podcasts and audiobooks?

Basically I want no trouble, no ads and the ability to start where i stopped.

ty sirs

>ps. repost for new thread

Antenna pod

I intend on buying the Redmi Note 5. But first I need to know if I can connect it to my HDMI tv to watch videos on. I bought an adapter for my Galaxy S4 and that works fine.

My HDMI tv is not a special "Smart tv", it cannot into wireless broadcasting. So it has to be connected using a HDMI port. Can the Redmi Note 5 be connected?

Attached: IMG_20180907_203447.jpg (780x871, 75K)

Google podcasts
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.podcasts

Google play books
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.books

Or Google play music go to the podcast section.

Buy a Chromecast device for 30 bucks. Down load Google home. Cast to your tv

Bait

would a current or last-gen note be a good phone to root

*inhales*

AAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Attached: 1524165085151.png (920x1227, 1.21M)

You'll loose your warranty, but they can be flashed with touch wizz based roms

*exhales*

not that bad after all

Looks like pocophone

C A S T B O X is the absolute shit my man.

It looks like a Chinese fake of the iphone X, I would be embarrassed walking around with that thing, the bezels are like twice the size of the X, putting a 720p display in a 800 dollar phone should be a crime.

SE still good?

More or less

They got discontinued though

you should prob wait for the redmi note 6 which is not too far away

What's a recommended upgrade over Redmi Note 5?
IR blaster mandatory

Attached: 34958547120.png (684x723, 523K)

How long and what's the expected retail price?

iShit was never good.

>>IR blaster mandat
looks like you'll have to stick with redmi

Pocophone

just overclock it

It's gonna release in February of next year

Ah fuk off m8. I'm not waiting 2*3months.

I'm not that guy, I'm just informing you about reality

Ok sorri m8 u r alright cheers

Undeniably the App Store was at one time the place to be.

>
They could have avoided the notch entirely with bezels that big

Also lots of wasted engineering to give a notch to a near obsolete screen tech

>iToddler detected

Honestly why does everyone hate bezels?
I don't mind bezels no bigger than 1/4 of an inch or 16mm on the top and bottom of the screen. They house the speakers and camera and all that other shit so who cares.

This is actually worse than any of the chink iPhone wannabes.

Why are you upgrading Redmi Note 5 already?

>tfw iPod Touch in 2008
Those were good times

Not enough pussy magnet

Nice quads, but if you can only get pussies with iPhones

DUAL SIM

>"we improved the camera, hardware upgrades, etc."
>nobody even uses RAW mode which is the single largest quality factor in (especially mobile because of shit image processing that 95% of manufacturers have) photography

sad

Attached: LRM_EXPORT_190947040996381_20180914_102339245.jpg (1535x2048, 1.9M)

>using your phone as a camera and caring about RAW

Then why should we not regress to large 5MP modules? No low light issues because of large pixels, no lens distortion because of tight apertures, and cheaper phones...

Only if it's equivalent to a 1" sensor

Redmi note 5

People are actually praising Apple for this right now. Jesus Christ.

They should've just named it 8C or 8SE and further refined the old body instead of making the X's body worse.

>8 body with slightly larger screen, say 4.9"@326ppi in same-sized body, incl. all the new tech like HDR and 120Hz touch
>keep touch ID and 3D touch
>main camera off the XS
>A11 SoC to keep costs down compared to implementing either full or cut down A12
>3GB RAM
>aluminum all around to segment from glass/steel XS
>$599 price tag
>pricedrop 8 from $599 to $529 or something to keep it viable until stocks are clear

this would never happen, of course

INNOVATION

I really don't get it. A rich girlfriend gifted me a 6s Plus a couple years back and that's what I've been using. My current girlfriend has an iPhone X and they're the same fucken phone except one has a notch.

Why in the world do people keep buying the same phone again and again?

Why did your break up with your rich girlfriend?

The X body, being stainless with a glass back, allows wireless charging. If they wanted to put wireless charging in the new standard model it makes sense that they'd base it off the X.

>headphone jack
>no notch
>no dual camera meme (if it has dual camera, make it wide lens or zoom)
>no OLED meme (burn-in will eventually happen)
>good screen color reproduction
>1080p or more
>SD card slot
>good CPU
>decent pricing (500~700$ max)

Is this asking too much? I can think of a few that could fit all this, but they either have a notch or no headphone jack.
Is there any really good phone nowadays?

Attached: 1510335881696.png (1006x1578, 1.45M)

Best rom for the pocomaymay?

LineageOS not out yet.

But bruh! It's borderless that's why it needs a notch.
What? 2mm on every side? Nobody but autists pays attention to that.
Worth every penny.

>uni
>working $7.50/hr job as a barista at my university's cafe
>xiaomi phone because specs and camera were good
>2 years later graduated with a stable job
>mfw i stop caring about specs, battery life, camera and can't wait to buy the newest iphone

money turned me into a brainlet.
i am legitimately excited to buy the new XS Max

Attached: flat,750x1000,075,t.u1.jpg (750x1000, 43K)

TRI SIM

Attached: images (5).jpg (265x190, 8K)

Sony XZ Premium / XZ1, Nokia 7 Plus

I was about to pull the trigger on pocomeme but got spooked with rumors of bad screen quality, can any owners confirm?

seems fine

Is the p20 pro any good?

Attached: 1526757396296.png (699x664, 183K)

I wanted to fuck other girls.

Pocophone durability test
youtu.be/IXLvNrUTUYw

how big are this guy's hands, holy fucking shit

I have over 2 grand in disposable income each month and I hope all iTurds die in a fire. Why would you not buy a Note 9?

That makes sense, but 8 already has a glass back

That's pretty surprising. Isn't the back polycarbonate?

Which part is surprising?

I'm posting from one, what specifically do you want to know?

Because I have 4k in disposable income each month

Attached: 1534635916650.png (380x349, 52K)

Why tho? It's the same iShit phone you currently have on marginally better hardware. The screen is the same, the OS is the same, everything is the fucking same.

how can you be so poor in current year

Camera is good, especially those software stablized long exposure nightshots. Battery drains slower than my Redmi Note 5 in games (400mA vs 600mA in Girls' Frontline) which is also good. I'm not btw

Thanks. That's what I'm looking for in a phone, although I heard beauty mode was permanently on even when set to 0, and that the super slow mo was fake, did they fixed that with updates?

Any problems with Google apps? Or touch screen issues? I also heard there was some troubles with r/battery management being too aggressive.

Looking to change my s8 for the p20 pro because of the camera, specially the telephoto feature.

Well right now I'm using a handmedown 6s plus. I can't record in 4k.

And I'm really excited about the camera focus bokeh meme from the presentation. Even though I take like 10 selfies a year to update my Tinder which I rarely ever use.

That's basically it though, better camera, 4k, my headphone jack sometimes doens't work, my dbrand skin is starting to rip off at the edges.

And I like the almost all screen design. And my fingerprint sensor doesn't work half the time.

How's gaming performance compared to other phones? Is gpu turbo just a meme?

There were some embedded google maps issues but that was fixed within about two weeks, no problems now.

No problems with the screen or battery management but I only ever use background apps to play music.

Attached: Screenshot_20180914-092934.jpg (1080x2240, 97K)

I'm also on a 6s plus but I'm waiting to vacation in Vietnam this winter with a layover in HK to buy a Note 9. Rich dude girlfriend here (live in Chinkland).

>tfw don't even need to take good selfies because hot chink bitches all want my white cock anyway

>And my fingerprint sensor doesn't work half the time

Yeah, same exact problem. I never had an issue on my Galaxy Note 7 but if my finger has the slightest bit of moisture the iShit 6s Plus can't read my fingerprint.

For the 30 seconds between finding out my new gf had an iPhone X and actually trying it I had a bit of excitement. When I had to hold the thing in front of her face for 2-3 seconds for the damn thing to unlock and started using it I realized that it's the same fucking prison phone except there's a notch.

This was my first and last Apple product.

I heard OnePlus is getting rid of their headphone jack.
Yet another "Android OEM makes fun of Apple only do copy them 100% a year or two later" scenario.

Impressive battery performance, think I'll buy one with a pixel doongle for best sound.

Thanks.

2 things:

-Is the Xiaomi EU ROM a meme or actually good? I tried it recently on a xiaomi phone that's similar to mine and performance was also similar, with the exception that it had a few more features and the themes app wasn't in chinese

-I actually like MIUI and all, but I do use plenty of Google services. Would you replace the included Mi apps/cloud with google apps or would you just use those? Kinda weird to use 2 ecosystems at the same time, both of which I'm sure plenty of people here dislike for obvious reasons. It's like using both Apple and Google services, only instead of Apple it's some chinese company.

Maybe FaceID has trouble with asian faces heehehe.

I've seen my friends use their iPhone X, faceid doesn't seem that bad.

But yeah, I'm a sweaty guy, I either have to wipe my finger on my clothes before I unlock my phone or just mash it 10 times until my keycode to unlock thing appears.

I'm seriously hoping I don't encounter the same FaceID issues as you.

Why the fuck does every new phone need to have a camera with a gazillion of megapixels.

Why can't buy a decent smartphone without a camera? I have a regular dslr for taking pictures.

Who preorder boiz

Attached: 1C5670FA-89B1-4DB4-931C-3B37E58FD328.jpg (1125x851, 172K)

Smooth in Girls' Frontline and Azur Lane. Better than Redmi Note 5. I don't have other 2017/18 phones to compared to but if benchmarks are any indication it won't match Sony/Oneplus flagships. It's not a phone for gaming but you can certainly have decent performance on it. GPU turbo is legit but they made it sound like some groundbreaking technology which it is not.

I don't have issues with Google Apps. As with all phones just drag down to lock a specific app in the app view and allow it to run in background in the settings if you don't want it to be killed.

Because if I see a car accident I'm not gonna turn to my backseat grab my bag take out my DSLR, change the lens, turn it on, switch to video and record it.

That's just impractical. And you do realize 99% of people don't have DSLRs so the cost of producing a cameraless phone doesn't warrant the production cost and the buying power of your type of market.

I really think Apple went in the wrong direction with Face ID. It seemed like Android OEMs were going to copy Apple but now it looks like they're switching directions to in-display fingerprint readers. You'll never be able to unlock your phone with Face ID faster than a fingerprint can.

What if I dont want that? I just use my phone for calls, messages and watching videos. Do I never have an option to buy a cemera-less phone nowadays?

I just washed my hands, held the phone in front of my face 3-4 seconds pressing the home button trying to unlock it and kept getting "Try Again" because I only spent a couple of seconds wiping my hands with a towel.

If I have to wait 1 extra second everytime I unlock my phone instead of going through this half the time. Fuck it, I'll take the trade.

Or... you could get your DSLR ready and go camp near an accident prone intersection.

The market for people who only use their phone for calls and messages and watching videos is tiny.

So no manufacturer would want to spend money on that.

What you can do though is buy some android phone with a shit camera.

Fingerprint sensors are whack. They’re prone to any sort of debris or smudge on your finger blocking your print. Most of the time it works great, but those times it doesn’t it’s very frustrating. I’ve never had an issue with Face ID unless I’m laying in bed sideways trying to unlock my phone at an angle. Otherwise it’s extremely fast and I’ve never had a problem wearing a hat or glasses or anything like that.

You can software mod the dongle output but I rooted mine before they disabled bootloader unlocking.

My sensor only disliked water. I couldn't unlock my phone right out of the shower, but that's it. I consider that normal.

Any non-shitty voice recorder app for those of us who don't have a Galaxy (or an iPhone)?

I want an iOS app to manage my receipts for tax time. A free app. They are all labelled 'free' but I have serious doubts.

I must be a greasy boy because sometimes just having grimy hands would cause it to not unlock for me.

The Sony one looks good, specially that screen, but it's pretty somewhat expensive in my country for last year's specs. And the battery worries me, since my last phone died thanks to the battery.

Nokia 7 Plus is a bit too expensive... I know it doesn't have a notch, but you could go with a Xiaomeme with similar specs for less.

Can screen protectors fuck with how the touchscreen works on modern phones? Got myself an used mi max 2 with a screen protector just recently and I don't know if I should just remove this shit. It's fucking with the corners and when I use the keyboard on this shit I swear I keep hitting the keys in the bottom left row more often.

Use a screen calibration app before deciding anything.

In a few years it'll be almost impossible to buy a new phone with:
>a headphone jack
>a non-notch display
>USB charging port

How does that make you feel?

I would stop buying smart phones, by that time pocket computer would be real

>not that bad after all

fucking 720p resolution on a 6 inch screen for almost 900€, not that bad after all??
applefags are braindead I swear

Attached: 1530292884403.jpg (747x600, 82K)

The notch thing will not last more than 2 years. There are already newer phones that are trying to get away from that design choice.

The headphone jack is definitely a problem. They're trying to fix something that hasn't been broken for generations. Phones don't need to be any more flat.

USB charging port... I highly doubt that. Unless it's a newer version of USB.