Did microsoft know about the RROD prior to launching the 360...

did microsoft know about the RROD prior to launching the 360? i kinda find it hard to believe they overlooked this issue.

Attached: rrod.jpg (1920x1080, 385K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EhW_SXzyUXI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You mean... did they know that a specific error would show up as red leds in the front panel? I think yes.

They knew. They also knew about the disc reader scratching discs. But they didn't care because it would cost an extra $0.50 cents to fix those issues which multiplied by however many tens of millions of units sold was seen as money wasted by the accountants.
As a bonus, they got to double dip and sometimes even triple dip on customers who just want to play Halo.

they discovered early on that the solder they used was substandard for internal components (such as the problematic gpu). what isn't certain is why they kept using the same manufacturing process after the test runs proved they were making lemons. in any case, it cost microsoft over $1bn to remedy the situation.

you're an idiot.

yields were horrible and the extended warranty costed millions
but microsoft didn't care about money, but time.
they had to get the 360 out long before the ps3 would be on the market to establish a proper foothold.

They shipped it with an exposed jtag, so I doubt they did any kind of QA or extensive testing.

>it cost microsoft over $1bn to remedy the situation.
they probably made that back with xbox live subs so i guess it wasnt a huge loss

>1
it cost them 4 billions, plus the damage done to the brand name.
they paid for the shipping (back and forth), fixing the xbox, if the fixing took too long they even gave you a controller or free 2 week XBL. in some case they didnt even fix it, they just replaced the console entirely with a new model.

youtube.com/watch?v=EhW_SXzyUXI
Pretty much everything you need to know

RRoD was due to this stupid cross brace they used to hold the heatsink. When it happened to me I re-pasted, drilled holes in the case and properly secured the heatsink. Never had a problem after that

Forgot pic

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 87K)

Actually it wasn't the cause of the problem, even with proper cooling the shit could get warm enough to dislodge BGA balls. But sure better cooling helped.

>what is warranty

it's all of these and more

1. the case design in early 360's was defective. a couple of standoffs near the center were too high causing the board to flex outwards
2. cooling was mediocre. the fans were sucking air through a shitty plastic enclosure that wasn't even sealed properly and had no pressure
3. they were forced to use lead-free solder in production to meet EU standards. the new solder had a much lower melting point than the standard solder used in development (and the very very first production batch)

so the intense heat combined with the weak solder execrated by the thermal flex caused the BGA joints to crack

they fixed the case defect quickly but the cooling issue was never solved until they transitioned to 45nm chips 4 years later

My xbox 360 red ringed out of the box. Replaced it the same day after calling microsoft tech support to just yell at them for being faggots, because I bought 20 games at the same time, and going back to the store was a pain in the ass.

As someone working on the Xbox 360 we knew about the problems our managers even tried numerous times to tell the department heads that we needed more time but they were scared that the ps3 was going to be released in December and wanted the Xbox to be out and compete with it but the ps3 got delayed and we ended up releasing the Xbox during the first few months we already got 1000s back which we asked time to investigate and we were denied. The problem was obvious from the beginning since 56% of the xboxs we made during the first few months could not be sold due to defects. When we finally got a chance to investigate it was after the ps3 was already out and we had storage houses filled with Xbox 360s to be sold we told them about the defects and the fact that most these xbox360 units we have in storage will back as a result we were given permission to redesign the xbox and the warranty was increased on the first gen to allow for replacements.

Blame the EU and lead free solder rules.

Attached: 1536751299525.jpg (750x369, 40K)

Unrelated, but which would be a better choice to play last gen games not being rereleased?

An xbone which has x360 emulation? Or a low end PC which should be able to handle last gen titles easily?

I would really prefer something plug and play and not have to connect to the internet just to validate DRM/License.

It doesn't matter. They know NPCs will go out and buy it to fuel their mindless addiction.

Of course not. The PS3 and most laptops from the time have pretty much the same issue.

>2. cooling was mediocre. the fans were sucking air through a shitty plastic enclosure that wasn't even sealed properly and had no pressure
There's a video of a guy putting a low power PC into a 360 case and it shows how much that case sucked ass for cooling anything. He had to delid the CPU and use Noctua fans and it still ran like shit.

the factory they where building them at was super cheap and fucked up.

some guy was literally squeezing thermal paste onto the chip and not using a pad and didn't squeeze enough or missed the center or some shit

basically they got them assembled for 100$ parts 30$ labor in mexico or brazil or some shit hole and they fucked up.