/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

What are you working on, Jow Forums?

Old thread:

Attached: openbordersforisrael3.jpg (822x546, 91K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cHZl2naX1Xk
haskell.org/hoogle/?hoogle=|
cnbc.com/2018/08/16/15-companies-that-no-longer-require-employees-to-have-a-college-degree.html
github.com/JIMcCann/cavez/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

been thinking about throwing up a blog as a subdomain for my site
should I save money and self-host, or be a lazy fuck and use paid Ghost for like 30/mon

Definitely self-host. Make sure to check your home server for vulnerabilities upon setting it up, though. Make sure all the services running on all open ports are up to date.
Also, if you'll use SSH or similar, use fail2ban and a private key file for identification.

How do you press the semicolon key and Enter key while programming?

I'm trying to figure out how to make a dice-rolling game for HTML5/JS.

Yes, I'm new.

Attached: inverted-dice-6.png (512x512, 25K)

pic related is my old failed project. decided gambling is too illegal where i live

Attached: 2018-09-15_12-21-30.webm (1150x848, 843K)

hey guys do you know where I can find open source projects to contribute?

GitHub

(((github)))

should I learn C before C++?

They are like apples and oranges imo. I'm ok(ish) at C and when I use C++ I tend to program like I'm using C with a few classes bolted on. Don't be like me. If you want to learn C++ then learn C++.

Even better. Just learn C and hold off on learning C++ until it's really necessary.

Learn something or don't learn at all.

6 ..6....6?????

They're both right, learn C if you want to learn C. Learn C++ if you want to learn C++.

The advice online about how it's 'wrong' to teach C as part of teaching C++ is more about improving how quickly we can teach the essentials of C++ rather than because it will make you stupid or something. It's just getting the point across that you really don't need to know C to start working in C++, at least not in general.

programmers should never have accepted managers telling them to use java

Attached: openbordersforisrael2.jpg (1023x683, 130K)

Programmers created Java for programmers. Look back at the ecosystem when Java was designed, it was a very nice state-of-the-art managed language, which made programmers more productive only at the cost of performance that previously we assumed we could just rely on Moore's law to cancel out. They were 90% right anyway.

it was outdated the moment it was released. only people who fastidiously ignored the previous decade of theory could believe it was modern at the time

GitLab, bitbucket

>bump limit not reached when new thread made
>non anime OP, non programming related OP
>image is totally off topic, so obnoxious you might even think it's a false flag

>Programmers created Java for programmers.
the whitepaper explicitly says that java is intented for novice and mediocre programmers.

But user finds Java difficult and challenging, sometimes almost impossible. It can't be for novice and mediocre programmers!

>implying millions gender mental illness has anything to do with programming at all
>implying I should put it in the OP
>implying I should derail programming discussion with useless million gender faggotry
>implying a picture promoting love a tolerance isn't a better choice for the OP (after all, programming is all about love, tolerance and multiculturalism)

Attached: openbordersforisrael4.jpg (606x389, 35K)

>only people who fastidiously ignored the previous decade of theory could believe it was modern at the time
That perspective only makes sense if you are a proponent of totally different styles of languages, like functional languages. Well that's a whole different kettle of fish. History has done anything but prove functional programming languages are generally practical.

>They wanted to bear new programmers in mind = it's a bad language for experts
Show me design decisions they made based on that which made the language worse as a general-purpose programming language.

And "programing socks", "crossdressing", and other mental issues is related to programing?

Fuck off normalfag

Attached: 1528699375904.png (537x537, 151K)

wut?
>presses those keys all the time
am I doing it wrong?

>You are here because Zion is about to be destroyed, its every living inhabitant terminated, its entire existence eradicated.

youtube.com/watch?v=cHZl2naX1Xk

Attached: absolutelyhappening.jpg (840x348, 82K)

just take a look at java in its first years

>no unsigned data types
>no explicit memory management
>no generics
>no operator overload
>...

yeah, by putting us 20 years back in PLT, it's definitively expert oriented.

CLOS predates Java and is superior to its crappy object model. Parametric polymorphism (which is not limited in applicability to functional programming) also predates Java (remember, it didn't get generics until version 5). It still doesn't have pattern matching or real algebraic data types.

>And "programing socks", "crossdressing", and other mental issues is related to programing?
Wearing the programming outfit is absolutely related to programming. There are no "mental issues" involved.

nobody writes in their whitepaper "this language is intended for only the most learned sages of programming wizardry"

operator overloading sucks lmao

It's a board sliding tactic of the Jow Forumstards. They create generic Jow Forums related topics that won't get them banned for off-topic like "What's the best programming language?" and then add a "redpill" image. Then inside the thread they try to shift the discussion towards the message of OP's image. Now they also started to hijack generals.

Attached: pol redditor.png (1000x1000, 668K)

So what? Some languages don't try to cater to beginners and novices by reducing their power.

I doubt actual Jow Forumstards would do this

>2nd year CS
>did all assignments so far alone at home
>last one I had to show to the teacher before handing it in
>he asked me to make small adjustment
>I was sitting in lab room and other students talked pretty loud
>didn't get anything done in 30 minutes and wasn't really getting anywhere
>decided to go home and did it in 15 minutes
I legitimately couldn't concentrate when there were people around me. Does anyone here work in open offices? How is it, difficult? How do you get used to busy places?

>operator overloading sucks lmao
this is what java programmers actually believe

because you lack the required expertise, the same expertise that you will never reach by using java.

They did that to avoid idiots doing crazy overloads.
Have you ever tried to navigate Haskell's operator zoo?
It's a nightmare of one unintelligible symbol after another.
See this link for a small sample:
haskell.org/hoogle/?hoogle=|

REAL new thread:

It's leftypol actually, they've made this board a permanent target

Posting crossdressing and faggotry related shit in the programming thread and spamming it to no end is a Reddit tactic used to subvert Jow Forums. It's also a tactic used by neo-liberal democrats supporting the Zionist and Wahhabi influence to groom young men into pederasty under the cover of "letting them to explore their sexuality".
Of course, they also have another cover of fighting for the underprivileged, all while boot-licking the large banks and taking out campaign funds from them, as well as changing the economic accords in their favor.

Attached: pepe_matrix.jpg (225x225, 16K)

Haskell gets operator overloading (mainly) correct.
Mainly because there's nothing special about "operators" in Haskell, they're just functions like you can define like any other.
Fixity is the only complaint I have.

Get a grip, user. You were able to figure out +, -, *, /, ^, &, ||, &&, ~, !, ? :, =, ==, +=, ++, unary *, ->, and many other symbolic operators. You can figure out a few more.

Probably this.
The left has no respect for what others have built.
Pic related.

Attached: antifa.png (2208x1292, 2.88M)

random(1,6)

lol not when everyone makes their own new ones

I'm learning python. I'm currently studying classes and methods. I resolving some exercises and I will start with inheritance, I ignore how you call it.

Hi, guys. I'm planning to become devoted to programming. I want to drop college to start coding. Do you think this is a good idea?

Is the increased prevalence of people with girly anime avatars, and overall grown up men acting girly online a sign of Freudian castration at play?
These people apparently feel guilt for their sexual desires, so they feel castrated by the society.
Could explain where the whole million genders mental illness comes from from the psychoanalytic standpoint.

what are/were you studying?

civil engineering. But I have to study three more years and I'm already 22. I do not want to feel I'm wasting my life.

people are consuming atrazine and BPA and who knows what else

Stay in school, kid

why? give me your reasons

If you like programming and dislike civil engineering then yes, you should do programming instead. If you can learn on your own, that's fine, but you should also consider whether you should switch to a computer science major, if that is an option. It depends how good your self-discipline is.

Don't drop out of college unless you know what you're doing.
The best thing to do is to get into accredited distance education.
It gives you a lot of free time and a good diploma.

It feels awkward to press semicolon and Enter with pinky finger. I prefer to press Enter with index finger, but that also is not natural.

In addition, some businesses want people with degrees. The really smart businesses should want autodidacts though.

Accredited distance education is also an option. It allows for flexible schedules and lots of free time, not having to deal with toxic 115 IQ brainlet liberal faggot SJWs, and so on. And you get an accredited diploma in the end.
I got my first diploma this way.

It is kind of a long story to tell. However, thank you lads. I'm going to ponder about it.

>The really smart businesses should want autodidacts though.
No, they shouldn't.

Comfort may depend on keyboard.
That said, never be afraid to move your hands around to use whatever combinations of fingers are most comfortable for you. You're not a robot. And ergonomics is more important than speed.

Attached: keyboard.jpg (1000x750, 89K)

might be a good idea

cnbc.com/2018/08/16/15-companies-that-no-longer-require-employees-to-have-a-college-degree.html

Why not? For fear they might have the wherewithal to start their own businesses?

There is software like AutoHotkey you can use to make things comfier.

>Whole Foods
>Current openings include:grocery team member, cashier, bakery team member, whole body team member
Wow, you no longer need a four year degree in computer science to pack bags?

the whole industry was founded by autodidacts

>google
>apple
>ibm

>pajeets
>diversity hires

It was founded by mathematicians and physicists. With degrees.

>What are you working on, Jow Forums?
Still working on Cavez. github.com/JIMcCann/cavez/
It's coming along nicely. Not all features are implemented yet, but there's enough there to actually write and run a text adventure.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-09-15 10-39-58.png (1920x1080, 1.29M)

the tech industry? not really

If people need lectures and homework to learn then they should attend college. If they can read textbooks and do problems on their own, there's no need. I expect most people lack the self-discipline for that.

>If they can read textbooks and do problems on their own, there's no need.
This is incorrect. There's absolutely a need, and that need is financial in nature.

you mean for the professors?

JavaScript rocks!

No, for the students.
Think about what comes out of a formal education, and how that relates to the expectations of employers.