Install ububtu

>install ububtu
>don't like gnome
>apt install xfce4
>Ubuntu is now xubuntu

Is it really that easy to create Linux distros?

Attached: froppy.jpg (1280x720, 85K)

Other urls found in this thread:

linuxfromscratch.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

not sure if bait but...
linuxfromscratch.org/

Yes

No

Default package installation does not make a distro.

Ubuntu is fundamentally Debian with different releases. Any variant of Ubuntu may as well not even be called a real distro, and just a different set of default packages for plebs.

There is literally no reason to ever use Ubuntu. You can use Ubuntu PPAs and even pull in packages from Ubuntu's package repository (assuming you're careful with your apt pinning preferences).

Ubuntu's primary purpose for commercialize and NSA botnet access.

You also have to remove GNOME

Debian provides these helpful commands:

aptitude purge `dpkg --get-selections | grep gnome | cut -f 1`
aptitude -f install
aptitude purge `dpkg --get-selections | grep deinstall | cut -f 1`
aptitude -f install

Of course, I tried the first one and before I could enter the second one my mouse and keyboard stopped working, even when i rebooted (even in grub). Booted a rescue shell and installed whatever DE I wanted at the time and all was well.

They do caution you with
>Be aware that this can leave you with a broken system. Use caution.

ubuntu exists because they provide all drivers needed during installation, while debian doesn't because muh philosophy

what if i only use apt? i heard that apt handles dependencies of metapackages badly, which may result in a broken system

Why does xubuntu exist

to have a preconfigured xfce de on ubuntu?

no reason. The proper way to install a Debian/Ubuntu based machine is to literally turn off all selected package sets during installation and build your system from individual packages.

Even stuff that _sounds_ required stuff like "system utilities" is full of packages unnecessary packages.

You can take this further and turn off all packages, then before you start installating you start reviewing "apt-mark showmanual" and start removing stuff like laptop-detect (seriously? on a server?) and libraries that aren't actually required.

xfce based distro on the go. good for linux live usb.

maybe

>There is literally no reason to ever use Ubuntu.
wrong
they do their independant patching
and debian can be a pita

t. dumbass

The right way would be sudo apt-get install task-xfce-desktop

debian also does patching, yes, they're slightly different.

The full truth is LTS can be newer than stable. Xenial is behind Debian stable, Bionic just got released and is now has newer support. What I do is selectively pull packages from Debian testing if there's ever an issue.

Debian stable has a more stable set of packages than Ubuntu LTS. Ubuntu LTS is more along the lines of Debian testing.

>stable
you mean stale and outdated

no, I mean stable. You don't realize how long systems stay in place once they're setup. There are servers out there running Etch and Sarge, still.

yep you mean stale and outdated

There are many packages on Ubuntu, any version of Ubuntu that are massively out of date or missing all together.

Recent examples I've come across were Hugo and Neomutt.

All branches put together, Debian is more bleeding edge than Ubuntu.

So

*buntu in all their flavors are just Ubuntu prepackaged with certain programs, so installing regular ubuntu and making it indistinguishable from Xubuntu is piss easy.
But that doesn't make it a different OS.

No. Under the hood your configuration is now a complete train wreck from uninstalling and installing components at random and your entire PC could literally die at any second.