I'm developing a game engine with Vulkan in plain C

I'm developing a game engine with Vulkan in plain C.

I'm using C because:
>I want total control of all my data structures
>I think it naturally lends itself well to DoD as opposed to using C++ objects
>I personally want to learn C/GCC extremely well as opposed to learning a subset of C++ and GCC

Is this the right approach? Pretty much nobody is using plain C any more for something as large as a game engine.

Attached: image.jpg (914x900, 277K)

Unless you plan on marketing the game, I'd say whatever approach you get the most out of personally is what you should do

I kind of what to be the next Carmack t.b.h.

i'm doing the exact same thing but i chose C++ because i'm more comfortable with it
honestly you could use any language you want as long as it has manual memory management (C, C++, C#, rust, ...) and not something like java where you have no control over garbage collection

>Ausfalian
>being allowed to own an FAL
Good one m8. Leave the FALs to your protector.

It's an SLR and he's obviously in the military, you filthy mongrel.

Don't you have a school shooting to attend, pedro?

An inch pattern FAL is still an FAL, niglet.

>not something like java where you have no control over garbage collection
just use Object pooling and/or manually run the gc when the user wouldn't notice it (depending on the game ofc)

Does anyone know of a top down 2d engine that can calculate z axis physics?
For a 2.5d GTA type game.

you will learn a lot, but you'll end up needing to put in 10x the work or more than someone using Unity. Think about whether you want lots of low level experience or to actually produce a game.

This tard again. You have to be completely worthless programming vulkan in c. Game developers rejoiced at oop when development become as "high level" as c++

Why tweak a GC? It is practically manual memory management at that point

Talk to the developers of hydro thunder. Nobody enjoyed having to change the state of everything on screen with c instead of one object in c++

I hope your users enjoy segfaults.

It's not 1980, program it in Rust.

Attached: rustplot.png (1207x826, 38K)

>tweak
You don't tweak anything.You either :
1) never create garbage by never destroying objects, just recycle them
2) call the gc to collect garbage when you want it to at opportune times
3) do both

The point isn't to ship a game, it's to learn low-level programming and build a functional simulation engine that is very modular that can be potentially be used in scientific work or game dev.

It's just easier to call it a "game engine" though.

Implementing state is incredibly simple if you just program it in. You don't need to change your entire language...

Just use Unreal Engine 4 ffs

why does the aussie have a gun?
and a FAL of all guns

>c
>more control/performance over c++
Nice meme.

>Believing that C++ is slower than C

Not a rust hater but it's still funny how they managed to come up with a syntax even more awkward than C++.

GTA1/2 was basically a 3D game, buildings were 3D, there was 'verticality'
it was just top-down with sprites
basically, it's like the opposite of DOOM, while DOOM was 2D that felt like 3D, GTA was 3D that felt like 2D

>Is this the right approach?
nope, game engines should be in C++ because of the architectural complexity that needs handling, C++ doesn't prevent you from doing cache aligned programming when neccessary, but you just fell for the memes and probably have zero practical experience so you shouldn't be making an engine anyway

top down GTAs were actually 3D

This.
Most people saying "hurr durr c givez u more contr0l" think C++ is like Java or C#, when it couldn't be further from the truth.

>build a functional simulation engine that is very modular that can be potentially be used in scientific work or game dev
how the fuck are those fields related

SLRs are fairly common in Australia, and you can own one if you're a gun shop worker, otherwise need it for your job or just kept it without telling anyone when the buyback happened.

>Game engines should be in C++
Stopped reading.
We all know OP is a retard and the thread is a joke, but don't also be a retard

you know all real game engines are in C++ right?

Yes, every 3d game engine.
Just point a camera down an axis and set it's projection to orthographic.

I like how aussies pretend to be these Crocodile Dundee types instead of onions latte sipping basedboys being steadily replaced by chinks

GTA wasn't orthographic, either. there perspective is clear when going past the edge of a building

reminder since people seems to have forgotten what GTA actually looked like
now that i think about it, it even had support for 3DFX cards (didn't own one myself though)

Attached: gta1.jpg (1024x768, 100K)

>durr use C++
>Nobody gives actually reasons as to why