Who are non-x86 workstations aimed at?

What's the market for these things? Who is the intended audience? From what I can tell they are Linux only, decreasing the potential audience even more

Attached: power9.jpg (770x577, 45K)

>bump

>Who are non-x86 workstations aimed at?
Anyone but /v/tards.
>From what I can tell they are Linux only
They can also run BSD or any other system that gets ported to POWER9.
>decreasing the potential audience even more
Said the /v/tard.

>thinks i'm a /v/tard
i'm a developer lol, you think games are the only thing in this world?

I wish I could buy that case

>implying SAP is /v/tard product

To be fair, the kinds of people who would buy this sort of thing usually can't afford one.

>From what I can tell they are Linux only, decreasing the potential audience even more
Wat
They aren't Microsoft or whatever the fuck you're trying to run doesn't work because the code base is shit and moving to a new arch would suck and annihilate current application support so they keep milking that x86 intel titty.

Attached: daf.jpg (480x480, 24K)

Do arm computers other than phones have an equivalent to the ime?

so big companies? but again, what do they have to gain by purchasing a POWER9 or an ARM workstation for their employees instead of a bog standard x86 workstation from idk Dell or HP? it costs tens of thousands of dollars yet an x86 workstation costs at most 2 grand (unless you are buying super enterprise shit)

If you have nothing to contribute, kid, don't post.

Isn't that very much like a supermicro case?

Anyhow, I wouldn't do it either way. Not like there's any big downside to operating a Define R5 or something much cheaper like that if you have only one or a few machines [so it's internal drive trays rather than external hot swap bays, no big difference with how few HDD will fail anyhow].

And you're better off doing rackmounts if you pile up a bunch of servers.

Well this is entirely FOSS. That's what makes it special.

>From what I can tell they are Linux only, decreasing the potential audience even more
It's not like having having Windows on them would allow you to use applications compiled for x86 CPUs. In other words most of commercial Windows programs.
Linux/BSD is the most sane way since you can relatively easily port almost whole ecosystem to any architecture you fancy.

you can't escape

i'm guessing this would be the perfect thing for whistleblowers and hackers since any viruses that people would send (x86 viruses most likely) to you would fail to run, plus, they are usually FOSS down to the bare metal firmware

>t. /v/toddlers

Someone who has a workflow that doesn't require wi*Dows but requires bonkers multi threaded performance

>the only people that use windows are gamers

before /v/tards jump on this user's dick, a perfect example is scientific computing, e.g. simulations for chemistry, biology, and physics.

don't they use GPUs for that?

>unironically defending the x86 orthodoxy

And office drones, and poor people, and technical illiterates who barely learn to use one OS let alone two

call me when autodesk has linux support neetfag

Gimp photo editing stations

>non x86

there's a reason why ARM/RISC-V is only used for shitty chinese tablets

no performance

actually no, the fastest phones on the market right now are faster than some older x86 CPUs, check out the geekbench scores
i'm not, i'd love for these non-x86 PCs to take off, but it just seems unfeasible when the prices are so ridiculous right now

perf to perf even talos workstations, which are fairly niche and custom, aren't that much more expensive compared to equivalent intel xeon workstations and certainly not even a consideration when it comes to business expenses
more enterprise versions from ibm and the likes are absolutely cost competitive with intel xeons unless intel are pulling some antitrust pricing bullshit

>Isn't that very much like a supermicro case?
it's very similar, pic related is a supermicro

not every workload can be done on a gpu and there's certainly a lot of legacy stuff that will still use cpu

plenty of professional cad software runs linux, stuff that doesn't is usually prosumer bullshit

Attached: 7046GT-TRF.jpg (450x382, 48K)

>plenty of professional cad software runs linux
i'm really interested in this, do you have links?

>geekbench
geekbench is a meme synthetic benchmark.
We need ARM versions of real programs running on desktop Windows and Linux on ARM to x86

so what benchmarking software can we use to compare the perfomance of 2 different platforms?

ITT: assblasted elitist fuckwads

stuff like Siemens NX or CATIA come to mind
there's also a few that started out on linux or unix-like before switching to macos/windows, which is less relevant if you're only in current linux tools but is important to note for context (the same can be said for some professional video editing software)

thanks

>Isn't that very much like a supermicro case?
That's because it is.
You can also buy the board and the CPU by themselves and build a system yourself. A Talos II Lite board is around $1k and a quad core, 16-thread POWER9 CPU is around $400.