/spg/ - Smartphone General

Best remake ever 10/10 edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: Old-Nokia-3310.jpg (615x410, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_xz_premium-8593.php
youtube.com/watch?v=ibefH98Msb8
gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3?idPhone=8522#show
rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/123373130274
metropcs.com/iPhoneSEOnUs.html
rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/222760711732
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_8-review-1784p3.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Currently got an iPhone 5S, and my gf's got a 6S+. I used to always have android, but got an iphone cause my gf had one, and we wanted to facetime.

We both wanted to upgrade to a better phone, and I've convinced her to go Android.

We were looking at the Pocophone F1, cause we're saving atm and spending tons of money on a phone isn't viable, but the Pocophone F1 seems to be amazing for it's price point.

Is the Pocophone F1 the best value for money, or are there better options?

Just check some reviews. Its getting so much hype for a reason. There is nothing with better value by a far stretch and it doesn't seem to have any drawbacks besides no NFC, qi charging and no Netflix streaming in HD

Yeah, I just watched the review by Marques Brownlee on youtube about it, and it seems pretty solid.

I've never used NFC, I only charge my phone overnight, so wireless charging is pretty useless for me, and I don't really stream Netflix on my phone anyway, I only really watch on the PC.

are there any proper ROMs for the Pocomeme F1 yet?

Attached: CjcQBE6.jpg (362x346, 36K)

So the new line of iPhones' rear cameras have 12MP 1.4um pixel sensors, about the same specs as Google's Pixel 2. Presumably a Sony made sensor, whether or not it's the IMX362 with Apple's software behind it

None yet, no.
You can install GSIs apparently but they have some broken shit.

Sound alike the rind kind of phone for you then, as long as you love somewhere with compatible frequency bands at least. Those three are the only real critique points, everything else about the phone is either rock solid or really good.

wtf is a GSI?

Attached: 1gjkwy.jpg (591x336, 25K)

generic system image
basically, if your phone supports treble (which the poco does) you can install these generic images that "work" on all devices but it's obviously not always perfect

Are there any phones that are bigger than a Jelly Pro but smaller than literally every other mainstream phone, but have properly functional hardware and stock software?

I have a Nokia 8; should I "upgrade" to the Pocophone F1?

I'd be losing out splash protection, downgrading in resolution and clean android. I don't use NFC so no issue there. Is the Pocophone F1 better otherwise/enough to make it worth it?

Is OIS in phone cameras inertia based or how does it work? If yes, why isn't it more widespread? Making the pens/sensor assembly a bit wiggly surely can't be that expensive

Hell no what the fuck

not helpful...

It's not worth it because the difference in phones is too small. Is that better?

>clean android
Your clean Android is still proprietary and will most likely stop being updated after Android P. Nokia 8's screen resolution is unnecessary, although it's one of the better LCD panels. You would lose in that and splash protection.

>they do ship from france
i work in customs and i can almost guarantee they don't. They are not shipping products from china to a commercial address. If they were doing that they'd be paying import duties and VAT, and you wouldn't be paying chinese prices for the phone. Furhtermore, warehouse space isn't cheap, and it would defeat the entire purpose of drop shipping. Even the biggest and most successful drop shippers like digitalRev do not have warehouses in the EU. If you had a warehouse in the EU you would not be selling your products on alliexpress from a company that is listed in ghounhang in china.
i don't know about the feedback but i suspect it's fake.
one of them is in india, claiming to have received the phone in 2 days?
Even their own estimated express shipping time says 5-15 days.

>tfw can't buy pocomeme because they're worthless in the USA

Attached: 1528529510900.jpg (768x431, 14K)

Dealing with a fairly autistic person here.

He bought a Xiaomeme Mi Max 3 just recently, owned the previous model. Now, one of the most important things to get working for him was creating shortcuts to folders. Some file managers like ASUS' can do this sorta shit. Thing is, no matter how permissions are set or anything like that, it seems it ain't doing jackshit. No shortcuts even though it's showing a notification that it does place those successfully.

I've been thinking about this and even though both phones are using the Xiaomi.eu ROM, Mi Max 2 is using Nougat and Mi Max 3 does use Oreo. Did Oreo fuck with homescreen shortcuts? I did notice the google play store does no longer have that option that you can tick to create shortcuts automatically. I also tried with Nova Launcher instead of the default MIUI one and nothing changes.

>I've convinced her to go Android.
big mistake senpai

>Reposting

I've been out of the android modding loop for a while. My recently deceased phone was on Jellybean rooted stock touchwiz (because it had poor custom rom support) with Xposed framework.

So, what are some cool things that can be done with the new players I've been hearing about, like Magisck and Substratum. And what else haven't I heard about yet?

Also, the phone I'm looking to get is the Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite
>inb4 the A2 is better
I know, but I'm poor and also a handlet
>inb4 notched
Anyway, is it a good enough phone for its price? In any case it will be a huge upgrade in every way to what I had before. Does anyone have this particular phone and can tell me how they like it?

it costs more to implement so it's reserved for pricier models of phones. OIS involves small motors and components to work

well a larger screen, better SoC, more ram and 128GB storage sound pretty good for a ~20-30 euros.

Well I mean every phone will stop getting updates eventually. Why is the screen resolution unnecessary? The screen is nice, yes.

pocophone is splash proof

Is there an Android equivalent to facetime? I haven't used one in so long I'm not sure.

explain to me why that is the case

Maybe the spic version will be more compatible

Oh, allrigt. I thought it was just kinda floating around and not actively moved

what do you guys think about getting a gen 1 pixel in 2018
amazon has them in the low $300s. i'm only worried about the battery being deteriorated on a phone thats been out for a while
i want something that will last me a year or two

Attached: Capture.jpg (1393x664, 108K)

Hangouts and Skype can both do videochats. No clue if that is all face time does

why would you buy it?
also
>32GB internal for $300
???

>explain to me why that is the case
there is 99% chance she will resent you

Your near monopoly carriers are. It's only ever been a problem in the US.
>Well I mean every phone will stop getting updates eventually
Rather later than sooner in that case right? It's the opposite with Nokia's devices, because you don't have a choice. Locked bootloaders.
>Why is the screen resolution unnecessary?
It's a 5.3 inch panel.
gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_xz_premium-8593.php
This was another gimmick as well and battery life suffered.

32gb? it wouldn't last 6 months

So for T-mobile, they're giving away a selection of phones for free if you buy a $100 prepaid credit, anybody have experience with the Moto E5 Play or the LG Aristo 2?

I'm thinking even if I don't care for it then a free backup phone isn't a bad idea.

Well the panel is small but it is nice and the "crispness" of the screen is there particularly cuz of the reso.
Battery issues? Haven't had them desu.

Yeah, I'm thinking they're back.

Attached: XZ3.png (1600x899, 1.12M)

I doubt it. We both decided based on cost:value that Android is better. We started looking at the Samsung Note S9, but at $1000 it's obscenely expensive.

Her dad got some cheap chinese knockoff phone that was cheap as hell and had like 3 cameras or some shit. Can't remember what smartphone it was though, but it was pretty good.

It will take some getting used to, but that's just the nature of switching.

They really gave best battery life of any iPhone, and the second largest display to a phone that costs $150 less. Apple is making a killing this year.

Attached: xr vs xs.png (865x737, 597K)

r8 /g.

Attached: IMG_9032.jpg (4000x3000, 2.86M)

based

Still putting their finger print sensor in retarded spots for no reason I see

blue pilled

i want to upgrade and i don't have a lot of money. i'm suffering with my large crappy $150 android. i want something smaller with decent performance.
i was also looking at the moto x4 which sell for under $300. i realized i could get older phones as well. apple has some refurbished 7's but they are on the higher end of $300. i thought i could shell out for a pixel if it would be a good buy but yeah i have some concerns about the age

i'm not a huge power user. no games or anything and i move pictures and videos to my computer frequently

Cringe, but kind of redpilled

youtube.com/watch?v=ibefH98Msb8
sorry if i trigger your xenophobia.

just find the cheapest and youngest 64GB phone you can get and call it a day!

oh, nice!

If the iPhone XS is IP68 rated why did they put plastic on the phone for this project?

Attached: XS-yt.jpg (1920x1080, 242K)

my htc 10 is dying on me, certain apps are running incredibly slow and the phone randomly boot loops and powers down at around 30-40% of battery life. Any recommendations for a similar non-gimmicky/bloaty phone that isn't huge? been looking at the oneplus 6 but it seems to be a really big phone and no one-handed mode.

Attached: bunny.jpg (657x479, 65K)

Give it back JaQuarius

XZ1 Compact

apparently the pixel 3 is being released soon, maybe i'll wait for that and get a cheap pixel 2

>We both decided based on cost:value that Android is better
Now that's completely different thing. Still, be sure to wash your hands off her choice of a phone. If she never used android before it will be frustrating. Change is not always good.

I was having some problems with my s6 edge and just as I was about to order pixel xl gf bought me iphone 7. I hated switching to ios and ended up resenting her for getting me in that awkward position. Tok me almost 6 months to engineer a situation in which she accidentally destroyed it and I could go back to android without hurting her feelings

She used to have an HTC, but that was long ago.

I did find it annoying to switch to the iOS at first, and will probably find it harder to switch back, after using the iPhone for so long, but there you go.

>letting a creature without a penis making a decision for you

It was a gift. Different thing

so my pixel 1's earpiece no longer works and the phone is out of warranty (thanks jews)

what can I get that's similar to it that still has a headphone jack and no notch faggotry?

Need phone for sorint in America. My samsung note 4 randomly reboots i to a download mode until I pop the battery.

Looking for a phone with expandable memory and headphone jacks and hopefully a removable battery.

Budget is not an issue.

get a Moto Z2 Force(NIB) for $299.99 on eBay, Moto is running a sale on them

>removable battery
ain't happening chief, do you want it unlocked or were you going to get it through sprint?

>Battery issues? Haven't had them desu
I was clearly referring to thar Sony. Your Nokia doesn't score much higher either. A battery capacity of 3090 mAh is ridiculous for an 835.
gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3?idPhone=8522#show

Anyone with a Mi 8 here?

Unlocked preferably. Hate buying through provider.

Check out the Essential phone. Android Pie, SD835 and 128GB storage for $310 on Amazon.

Yeah but are you paying only that much, are you selling the Nokia for 350?

They aren't shipping to a commercial address. They just have some guy in France receiving the packages and reshipping them. The "warehouse" is probably his living room. And the chinks have ways around paying duties and VAT, how do you think the import tax free "European Express" type shipping option many chink stores work?

The flags on AliExpress doesn't tell the actual country, you can set it to anything you want. There's a ton of Russia people using the US flag for example, for some reason. And the estimated express shipping time includes order processing, and they wouldn't be able to guarantee 1-3 days shipping to people order from outside Europe.

>removable battery
>headphone jack
>expandable storage
LG G5 and V20, Moto E4 and E5 Play, some Samsung J-series phones.

Op6

Moto Z2 Force
rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/123373130274

I almost bought an Xiaomi mi a2 today but found out about this phone at the last moment. Should i get the Nokia 7 plus instead?

Attached: nokia7.jpg (422x390, 43K)

any midrange waterproof phones yet?

>Tok me almost 6 months to engineer a situation in which she accidentally destroyed it
don't u think that's a little "over the top"

If you have enough money for the Nokia, you have enough for Pocophone

Whats a good cheap phone i can get from Walmart or somewhere. Im looking to get one of those no contract plans like straight talk.
Also fingerprint reader would be preferable.

Moto X4, Galaxy A3/A5/A7 (2017)and A8/A8+ (2018) are all IP67 or 68. You can also find LG G6 or XZ1/XZ1 Compact for mid range prices, around 300€.

Got a phone that i dropped and the screen cracked underneath the plastic protector (glass caused touch issues on curved s8 screen). Is there anything i can do to somehow disable the bottom part of the screen or properly cover it up to hide the light shining from the screen? I dont mind any thing such as permanent marker on the screen either since ive got the protector on still and the phone is perfectly fine to use other than the bright as fuck white light shining from the bottom section.

Attached: 20180917_061611.jpg (5312x2988, 3.67M)

Making the switch to Google Fi bros. Which handset should I pick?
>Pixel 1 for $325 (Amazon)
>Android One Moto x4 for $249
>Moto G4 for $199

How cheap? MetroPCS will give you a free iPhone SE if you switch over to them:
metropcs.com/iPhoneSEOnUs.html

Anyone here got a note 9 and/or tab 4 and hasn't used/sold their fortnite skin yet? Looking to make a trade for $40 USD, or we can negotiate other things.
Had something like that happen to my S8 too, actually, I used a sliver of electrical tape. Won't get rid of the glow entirely but will significantly dampen it.

Phone $200-$300
Service $40

Also dont want ishit but thanks for the link

>FaceTime
Google Duo? You can also talk face-to-face via Skype or Facebook Messenger...

the Moto X4
>or somewhere
how about eBay?
rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/222760711732

Thanks dude, I'll give that a shot.

Nice. I like this one.
Will it work with straight talk or something similar?

i have had enough of fucking around with those horrible chink android skins. i just want a simple stock android experience out of the box so android one phones are my only option as the pixels are too expensive and just got notched®

it will work with any AT&T/T-Mobile Prepay service

between the A2 and the Nokia 7+, it comes down to if you want the abikity to unblock the bootloader eventually, or if you want an SoC that won't throttle, has mSD support and a 3.5 jack
if the former, get the A2
if the latter, get the Nokia

So is the poco a meme? Whats the android image like on it?

>Whats the android image like on it?
What?

it's a modified version of MIUI

is the stock image filled with chink shit? Ive never bought from xiaomi before.

Cool, must google it to check reviews. Thanks

>Moto X4
thx man. I have a GS7 and the waterproofing is so useful for using it in my workshop and then just rinsing it off afterwards. But I'm worried it will die or get broken some day.

>is the stock image filled with chink shit?
Uh, sure? But you don't want a Chinese variant anywhere outside of China and isn't much of a problem. Either way, you should use custom ROMs.

Poco IS a meme, Mi8 is like ~30€ more and its worth it

>no headphone jack or MicroSD slot
no thx

what does Jow Forums think of the Huawei Honor 10?

I've reached full screen on max speed on this game.
Pro tip:
- you only need 2 buttons (1 and 9)

Bringing this up again since I didn't get an answer last thread.

At least the 128 GB variant doesn't coat the Sun, the Moon and the whole multiverse. It has the best display by Xiaomi yet (HDR-10, DCI-P3 compliant).
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_8-review-1784p3.php
Audio performance is not worse as well, far from it.

Cost*