Why is it so hard for Linux to work as a desktop OS?

Why is it so hard for Linux to work as a desktop OS?

Do freetards hate features?

Attached: 1523988118540.png (680x680, 284K)

> Linux
*inhales*
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Why are you being willfully ignorant? Install Q4OS.

Attached: 1537090987481.png (1400x1050, 1.08M)

Kringe.

>Why is it so hard for Linux to work as a desktop OS?
It's not. It works excellently. So much so that Steam is now developing Steam Play specifically to get more games made for legacy Windows systems to work on there.
The filepicker problem is a GTK issue, not a Linux issue.

What do you mean? I've been using Ubuntu for 2 years and it's worked perfectly as a desktop OS. If I need a word processor, I just use Google Docs or Microsoft Office Online. And being a mature adult, I have no need for video gaymes.

Attached: skippy_the_robot.png (716x365, 109K)

>I've been using Ubuntu for 2 years and it's worked perfectly as a desktop OS. If I need a word processor, I just use Google Docs or Microsoft Office Online
This needs to be a banner

>installer is simple and just works
>has lots of themes and options built in
>runs any Debian/Ubuntu/Mint software
>base OS is super stable
>runs comfortably in 512MB of RAM
>open source and completely free to use

Attached: 1474232952265.jpg (763x757, 74K)

hi

Attached: libre-office.png (640x360, 159K)

this is the future we chose

Attached: mac_pc.png (200x371, 13K)

I have no problem admitting LibreOffice is shit. Honestly with everything being put online, who gives a fuck what shitty freeware comes with your linux distribution?

>hard
You're joking, right? There are so many features I find lacking from Windows that I hate needing to use it on occasion, and it was always meant as a desktop OS.

I only boot into Windows to play GTA and Hollow Knight. The latter has a Linux version but unfortunately Linux piracy is not where it should be

KDE doesn't have that problem

The thing about filepickers is that it was never an issue of Linux being capable, but rather than the toolkit every browser used being the biggest piece of shit on planet earth. If you want to pull that shit, then why did it take literally decades for Windows to get a(n albeit botched) implementation of virtual desktops.

Because the people who make the distros are incompetent. You have to set up your desktop yourself. Then it just werks.

i use arch btw

GPL

Sent from my Busybox/Linux

Attached: Linux user.webm (718x404, 1.46M)

I actually sold my grandma my old Linux laptop and gave one to my mom so she could do her taxes and shit because fucking everything is browser based now. The only time they had a problem was some random flash shit and I just got them to use some alternative.

Ironically almost all of Linix's benefits fly out the window for the same reason. Maybe they can't download malicious .exes but they can sure install malicious browser extensions.

They do,features are bloats

They aren't stupid enough to fall for scams and shit, so I'm not worried about them downloading malicious shit, it's just that they can do everything they want on it and I don't have to spend the extra money on windows or a Mac, and pretty easily check in their shit and really remote desktop and fix their problems easily. Also I put a Mac theme on it so they can't even tell the difference, they don't even know they are running Linux.

>sold my grandma my old Linux laptop
you a kike by any chance?

>*inhales*
cringe

>Linux users should be cracking software more so I don't have to use Windows as much
Shame on you for not wanting to pay for a masterpiece like Hollow Knight.

>being mad at freedom

Attached: rms_snapy.jpg (640x480, 277K)

I know right, the developer actually creates a GNU/Linux version and you won't even support him? I will definitely buy it when it goes on sale next.

Budgie works fine for me.

Attached: works_on_my_machine_classic_round_sticker-r56ce1cc314be46efbe749e9c58c761d5_v9waf_8byvr_540.jpg (540x540, 41K)