Ereader thread. I needed a new one and fell for the amazonian jew because they gave me £50 off for buying a paperwhite...

Ereader thread. I needed a new one and fell for the amazonian jew because they gave me £50 off for buying a paperwhite. At £60 it seemed worth it.

But talk about whatever ereaders, Kobo, Nooks whichever. Has anyone at all seen that Remarkable one in real life?

Attached: 1523762237170.jpg (1220x686, 76K)

Other urls found in this thread:

us.kobobooks.com/products/kobo-clara-hd
youtube.com/watch?v=rsJizVAMpDQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Kobo Aura One

I really want a Remarkable tablet. But that shit is fucking expensive for what it is.

Just got a Kobo Clara HD, which just got OverDrive support in the latest firmware. I'm happy with it.

I read a lot of papers that I now print because I like highlight stuff and add notes, sometimes making drawings or small diagrams.

It is becoming hard to keep track of dozens of printed documents, so I have been thinking that maybe it is time to get an e reader.

Which e readers offer the best options for adding notes and document storage?

I was thinking of getting an ereader, what would Jow Forums recommend? Also, why isn't the Kindle Paperwhite a good choice?

What's a good cheap no-nonsense e-reader I can just plug a USB cable into and upload all my pirated ebooks?

ipad pro

Best choice for reading especially if you already have a library of epubs and mobis, pirated or otherwise free of the drmjew (like all ebooks sold by amazon have) then kobo.
The newer models like the aura one or the h20 mk2 are good comfy readers that have the frontlight whitebalance option so that you don't have to put up with a harsh, bluish white light when you're reading in bed or otherwise at night. I think this color temp feature is still unique to kobo. I love it. These models are costlier than the typical amazon shit like how op got a coupon etc., but fuck amazon all the way.
Other user mentioned the kobo clara that's the new budget model. If that has the color temp option that would be grand imo.

If you read weeb shit then the larger aura one is the only option before e-readers start getting too big unless you have some niche use; not as portable and kinda expensive. I forget the brand of these big ones, 8" and 10" stuff. Bookz? Booka? Whatever. Used kobo on conjunction with the mandatory calibre program for years and have been very happy.

Oh right I want e-ink

Kobo+calibre for all your pirated library needs so long as they're not pdfs. No ereader handles pdf files all that well. Lit, epub, mobi and other text files etc., are fine.
I don't know if it's still like this, but amazon used to make you jump through hoops to be able to transfer books you didn't buy off their store interface to your device. It was some fuckery that involved you having to email that shit to yourself and then calibre came along which might have made things easier.
That was years ago, but I'm sure they still maintain some kind of fuckery to make your life difficult.

Well damn and all the kobo's are expensive as hell too.

Latest kindle paperwhite is plug-and-copy using calibre and some downloaded mobi / epubs, no black magic fuckery involved

Thanks, user. The Kobo Clara has Comfortlight Pro, is that what you're reffering to? What's the difference between the Kobo models with Comfortlight? Is the only difference the amount of storage and the resolution?
Is the Kobo Clara for 180USD a good deal?

Is that the Kindle Paperwhite 6? I could get a Paperwhite 6 for about 130 USD, is the Kobo Clara worth 50 USD more?

>Is the Kobo Clara for 180USD a good deal?
it's 130 from the manufacturer user us.kobobooks.com/products/kobo-clara-hd

pocketbook inkpad has ok pdf handeling.

youtube.com/watch?v=rsJizVAMpDQ

I don't think they're widely availably especially outside the EU.

>us.kobobooks.com
>us
Sure, if you're in the US.

I'm from Croatia and shipping + customs might actually cost me more than paying ~180USD/1150HRK from a local retailer.

Comfort light should be it. If you're not sure look at one of the reviews/videos. If they ever show the Clara with an orange "candlelight" frontlight, then that's it.
H20 mk2 is water resistant, Aura one is water resistant and has a capacitive touchscreen besides being bigger. I now use the h20mk2 and gave the aura one to an older relative. I haven't checked resolution specs because to be honest it's never made a difference for me. Not as if my books are filled with detailed graphics. Surely the aura one would be "the best" they have to offer right now being the flagship device.

I don't know about 180 bucks being a good deal or not. All I can say is that if you're in the US or maybe europe, if you're on a budget then it always seems like amazon basically give their shit away with some deal or whatever. They want to make money off you via the selling of the ebooks they offer.
So if your on the slimmest of budgets and really can't find anything else, there's always kindles. Imo the kobo is the superior device tight now.

I don't like kindles on principle, mainly due to amazon's previous bullshit policies that are probably still in place about them legally owning all the books you've bought from them and reserving the right to delete your shit when they see fit. It happened once by mistake to someone in a highly publicized incident. It should never have been allowed to happen ever. The books you buy should be your own. Kobo started putting such a statement on their book shop after the amazon incident occurred lol.

Kobo sells from some UK retailer too. Or is it just taxes and shipping fucking your day up?

ONYX BOOX Note

That's the brand..
Boox. I wonder how the note actually handles?
Shit if they had the kobo light, or any inbuilt light at all really, that would really pique my interest.

A bit of both, to be honest. It usually adds up to the point where I'm better off just getting it from a local retailer. I'll check it out though, thanks. Either way, it's quite expensive for our standards.

The DPT-RP1 looks like it has everything I'm looking for but it's fucking 700 clams. I'm not gonna pay that much for something -reading and marking up textbook pdfs- I can do with my computer or even my phone.

Should've get a Kobo and do the microSD mod for bigger storage.

The older kobo's had card slots. It pissed me off that the newer gen models abandoned this.
Then I remembered that I never once used the slot on my kobo glo (before I dropped it one too many times) and was still carrying more epubs than I had actually finished reading on the thing; couple of hundred volumes or some shit and wasn't near to running out of space.
Then it started to annoy me a little less.
If i ever bother to put manga on my new one then yeah, expandable memory might become an issue.

If it was 300-350 I might have considered it honestly. $600 is too much for what it is.

You are honestly better off with a tablet or a 2in1. I do the same and the surface pro suited me fine, but someone else in my research group likes the ipad pro a lot.

Yeah kobos are alternatives not cheaper alternatives. It depends on what suits your needs more. Amazon walled garden or Kobo's format freedom.

Is it worth the money? Depends on usage. For me? Yes because I love eink devices and don't like Android. I knew about it before the Onyx.

I purchased the rM because it's really open (the main UI is closed source tho)

Use it everyday. It is lacking software updates and the team took a while to hire more norwegian devs. If they don't deliver, the open source community (rehackable, libremarkable...) will catch up.

Attached: Image6482056858189002479.jpg (768x1024, 109K)

Good for taking notes, ok for PDF notes (only drawing, no text selecting or text boxes or anything else). You have to use an external export tool to get proper sized annotated PDFs.

Multitasking sucks because it is slow to switch and the screen is not that big for split screen. I prefer to read in laptop and take notes with the rM.

Attached: IMG_20180917_013740_1.jpg (4032x3024, 3.63M)

isn't input a bit laggy? i remember seeing it on an advert once and there was a very noticeable delay between pen stroke and line appearing.

>Has anyone at all seen that Remarkable one in real life?
Yes. It is good.

I've had the Onyx Boox Note for about a month now, my thoughts:

Pros:
>Fast refresh rate (for eink)
>Android OS 6.0
>Good screen res and size
>USB Type-C
>Good battery life
>All note taking apps, and PDF reader are snappy/solid
>Stylus is pretty good

Cons:
>No backlight, but the screen res and size make up for it
>Only works with included Type-C to Type-A cable
>No play store (not a con for me, I pretty much sideload what I need)
>Stylus only works in one orientation. Pretty sure you can recalibrate but as it stands that sucks.

Overall I picked it over the Sony tablet because it has Android. I'm not disappointed at all with the purchase, may pickup the bigger one down the line if it drops in price.

A kindle paperwhite is the best. I use one and the huge store and the build quality is awesome better then my gf kobo.

Not the latest. It has been like this for ages. Just copy your pirated shit via calibre and it appears in your kindle library.

It won't be as fast as an lcd, but it is not noticeable 99% of times

Look for gfycat ScholarlyShadyElk
Or libremarkable

The Onyx series used to have input lag with third party applications (OneNote etc). I think they still do.
Can you confirm?

Onyx support might be terrible, looking at their forums. reMarkable doesn't even have a forum

Agree with all of this, but I do note taking in both orientations fine. Also any type c to type a works fine. My c to c does not though. Also a pro is the sync feature to dropbox. Also, Google play store works fine as of latest update. Some apps wont work though.

Rumors for third party being trash is enough for me to steer clear. Also the apps already there don't leave much else to be desired. They work really well with only a few small features missing

The stylus is fast enough to keep up with my cursive and note taking. I don't use OneNote. The stock note app is really nice, and the stock PDF reader allows me to take notes on my PDF's and export them out which is really useful for homework.

>Onyx support might be terrible
I pretty much assumed going in that I was going to get zero support so that doesn't bother me. If the device works for two years, I would consider that decent. I think the eink display will go out before anything.

Perhaps I'm holding the stylus wrong, I tend to write at a sharp angle.

>Google play store works fine as of latest update
Are you sure you have the Boox Note or the larger device? AFAIK, the amazon reviews said the larger device has a working play store. I never bothered to use it.

Is there anything above 8 inches for a decent price? pdfs look a bit small on my 7 year old kindle

Is it a tablet worth it for reading? I read paperback books and technical material and text books on my led monitor. I can get a samsung galaxy tab a for cheap.

i find ereaders great for novels but less so for textbooks. very satisfying for relaxed reading, but not being able to rapidly flick through pages or go back and forth at speed makes unsuitable for reference imo

More like the Kobos are priced to make a profit off the actual device instead of selling at production cost or at a loss like Amazon and then locking you into the ecosystem to make up for the cheap device. That loss-leader model is used for every device Amazon sells.

Looking at this thing, my 6 years old Sony started freezing too often lately. It is around $70 here. What's possible problems can I have with cheap e-reader?

Attached: Digma е63S.jpg (720x514, 74K)

it might not perform various functions as well as an expensiver one

Amazon readers are sold at a profit lol.
They are tiny and super weak for their cost.
Especially the voyage and oasis

I remember that the first kindles were rather robust. Doesn't surprise me if the new ones are flimsy shit.

For reading long novels and such not for me. Mainly due to the eyestrain they cause. After an hour I don't even want to look at the pages any more.

>What's possible problems can I have with cheap e-reader?

lower quality (prone to failure) screen and slower operation are two things I'd worry about.

Those ones with the stylus you can write with look awesome. It'd be perfect for Manga reading and reading news sites and note taking, but the price... It's like 500$ on Amazon. They do also function as a monitor so maybe in that context it's ok?

just get a phone nigga lmaooooo

>I'm from Croatia
Do you fap to your president?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (3400x2000, 337K)

What good note taking eReaders are on Android? They all do that stupid sticky note thing that I hate.

2018 iPad
I bought the latest kindle and it sucks ass

but thats coco austin

Don't buy anything. Wait for CLEARink models

If you read pdfs or other not reflowable shit you need more than 6 inches. Otherwise it's OK (just convert to mobi in calibre).

If no pdfs then kindle paperwhite, if you care about reading pdfs then something big (other suggestions below at least 9 inches will be shit) just e prepared that big ereaders cost more than 500USD.