/wt/ - watch thread Perfect edition

I killed my five year seiko 5 while tightening the rotor (it would come loose about once a year). I overtightened it and one of the pins that hold the mainspring to the escapement came out. While trying to put it back in place I fucked up the mainspring and just threw it out.

Bought another one on ebay for $60 + $10 for a nato strap. Meanwhile people are paying a 18 million dollars to wear a piece of jewelry that says "jesus I love charging devices and looking like a nerd that lacks self awareness".

Attached: theking.jpg (340x500, 41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DGAsib-4mCk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

ok

Yeah man, Fuck that shit right off. Them apple wearing, smart watch buying motherfuckers can choke on dick. Burn it down, burn it the fuck down!

That's literally a children's watch.

It's the right size and the right price. Show me a better looking $60 automatic. Watches are mostly overpriced jewelry and status symbols. I can't afford an omega seamaster so everything else is just a waste of money.

Enjoy being a 20 something wearing a watch designed for 7 year old Japanese boys I guess.

I've got that exact Seiko 5 model but in green with a leather strap i got for it. It looks nice and it works.

I can get a $60 automatic rep that will pass inspection from anyone who just sees a watch as a watch and doesn't care that the 12 hour marker is 2 degrees off

goys, im looking at the pebble steel
is it something worth considering or should i just get a regular watch

Got the same color as you with a nice Fluco strap from Germany, it’s very soft. Cheers.

>posted while shitting.

Attached: image.jpg (4032x3024, 1.34M)

Pebble is definitely the best smartwatch, it’s a shame what happened to them. I’d go for the plastic one if I were you.

Since it’s discontinued now it’s probably not worth getting at all.

hello fellow small wrist bro. I too have this watch

Pebble were the best smartwatch makers and it's hard to find something that compares even today. Their stuff is still cool but given the state that they are in, I'd say don't buy it- buy a watch that actually has support.

Got this baby recently.

Attached: 260B6C78-6F23-4B1A-9175-6DB1D1A1AA9D.jpg (4032x3024, 1.51M)

I couldn’t tell you why Jow Forums is rotating all of my pictures.

Nah

Attached: snk805.jpg (1024x758, 163K)

>18 million dollars
>charging devices and looking like a nerd

Nigga what smart watches are you referencing that are even remotely expensive? Most decent ones are between 200 and 300 dollars. There is literally nothing wrong with them. I've had mine for years and the only reason I havn't worn mine in months is cause the blutooth died on my phone.

My Pebble's backlight went out after 3+ years of use making it a pain to use while inside. After searching around for a viable replacement I settled on an Amazfit Stratos. It's no Pebble in terms of battery life or music controls buts the closest I could find. RIP in peace Pebble.

Attached: IMG_5695-e1527608766596.jpg (1512x2016, 365K)

Wow the green is very nice.

only because of the filter

>being this bitter

>ez430
>Dank Texas Instruments watch
>Still supported
>Comes with a decent stock firmware
>Write shit in C, compile Makefiles
>Flash firmware over RF
>Sweet sub-GHz connectivity
>Has a FOSS firmware with modules support
>Can integrate into existing mesh networks
>Doesn't require any nerd shit to just be a fucking watch
>Battery life of 3years due to MSP430

Why the fuck isn't Jow Forums all over this thing.

Attached: 4750084668_94d9818c03_b[1].jpg (1024x685, 253K)

Is Omega going to make another high-accuracy quartz version of the new Seamaster 300 pro?

Attached: Omega-Seamaster-Diver-300M-Baselworld-2018-gear-patrol-lead-full.jpg (1940x1300, 307K)

Probably the best behind-the-scenes vid of A. Lange & Söhne that I've seen yet.

youtube.com/watch?v=DGAsib-4mCk

The Anthony De Haas guy gives some good insights into the technical thinking all throughout the video.

Attached: ALS_001_1-DoubleSplit001.jpg (900x660, 116K)

stunning!

because it's as big as a fucking fridge

Attached: Khaki.jpg (2745x3711, 1.17M)

Attached: Khaki.gif (360x640, 1.82M)

wrong board /fa/g

Saw this about two years before the first apple watch in an EE mag. It was interesting af but I knew I wouldn't be assed to customize it properly so I didn't choose it as a tinker project.

Watches have always been technology fa/g/

Time telling is one of the oldest technologies there is.

talk about your sundials on the proper board

We're already on Jow Forums though.

>this isn't technology

Attached: 308b067cc8db4c39ee2c4051146a3e42.jpg (500x672, 53K)

>quartz oscillators are not technology guys, trust me

Attached: qtf.jpg (500x313, 28K)

>this is a silicon oscillator that is entirely mechanical and more accurate than a quartz oscillator
>but whatever anyone tells you, it is NOT technology, I'm telling you

Attached: Zenith-Defy-Lab-revolutionary-oscillator-9.jpg (2100x1400, 250K)

>this is the Citizen 0100
>like Zenith's silicon oscillator, it came out last year and sets a new boundary for wristwatches
>it is accurate to about 1 second per year thanks to a lens-shaped quartz crystal rather than the usual tuning fork-shaped quartz crystal seen here
>it is NOT, I repeat, NOT technology

Attached: 20929441_citizen-cal0100-the-most-accurate_ca7790f5_m.jpg?bg=2C2D2D.jpg (640x336, 21K)

anyone here have a patek philippe or something similar?

>the Japanese came up with Lumibrite (SrAl2O4 + Eu + Dy - Strontium aluminate doped with Europium and Dysprosium)
>like the Tritium used on old watches, it glows in the dark
>but unlike Tritium, it is not radioactive, and can be infinitely "recharged" without losing any light-emitting potency
>this, once again, has NOTHING to do with technology

Attached: SeikoSBBN0257L.jpg (1024x768, 105K)

Attached: american psycho patrick bateman pointing.png (648x425, 691K)

Oh shit, are watch threads back? I missed you faggots
nu-Hamilton is trash. I would rather use my phone for the time then spend money on a turd smeared on your wrist
end it

Attached: illneveraffordthis.jpg (1238x1372, 208K)

>buying nu-Swatch
enjoy funding their marketing team
Casio MDV106 a best diver

Disgusting

>Casio MDV106 a best diver
How?

>accurate
>looks damn good without being an hoemageee
>durable as fuck
>very well built
>can take a sapphire crystal
>good size
>default strap is nice but it can take a ton of aftermarket straps
>did I mention durable as fuck??
>at most, 40 bucks
It's not just best diver, it's the best watch ever made.
All you need in your life whorologically speaking is an MDV 106 and an MTP dress watch

>without being an hoemageee
It looks very much like a generic diver though. I'd say it's very close to a pre-ceramic submariner homage.

the bezel maybe, but everything is different, down to the slightly sunburst dial.
And rolex didn't invent that "diver" case shape anway

>the bezel maybe, but everything is different
Well the lume plots are the same shape too.

>And rolex didn't invent that "diver" case shape anway
Well no, but they were pretty close and they sure popularized it.

Which Seiko(s) uses Lumibrite?

Blancpain "invented" both the case shape and using circular, lume filled indices

I'm pretty sure all lumed Seikos use Lumibrite.

You should know that even the "Swiss" Superluminova and Rolex' Chromalight all use the same basic strontium-based formula invented by the Japanese.

And the unidirectional bezel etc. I know.
But Rolex came out with the same layout almost simultaneously, and was very much key in popularizing it.

>almost simultaneously
more like 5 years after
Anyway the MDV106 is still the best watch in current production

Pretty much the same year, actually.

But Rolex is known to lose its luminescence over time but Seiko as in stated doesn't. How does that happen if they're using the same technology?

>But Rolex is known to lose its luminescence over time
Only the old tritium-based lume on old Rolexes.

Modern Rolexes do not lose luminescence over time. The lume can be inifinitely charged and recharged and it will glow with the exact same brightness.
Only thing that can deteriorate the lume is if the binding agent (the glue) starts to go.

>The lume can be inifinitely charged and recharged
How?

Do most watches like that now use this technology? How can I find out if the watch I am buying uses it as well?

Pretty much all "modern" watches have this basic type of lume. We can thank the Japanese for this.
It was invented in the early 90s, so I think "most" watches as of the early 2000s will have it.

Beware though, while virtually all modern lume is based on the Japanese strontium aluminate compound and the basic "never loses potency" thing is true for all modern lume, there can still be a MASSIVE difference in quality between modern lumes.

If your watch has a shitty quality lume, it might never shine really brightly and might become too dim to read after only 2 hours.

Just buy a casio watch, low price, high practicality, hard to break

Attached: casioisjapanese.jpg (1600x1600, 171K)

How does the lume charge itself infinitely?

It doesn't. You misunderstood.
Even the best modern lume stops glowing completely after like 10 hours if you leave it in the dark.
You have to "charge" the lume in order for it to glow.

What I meant by "never loses potency" is that you can charge and recharge modern lume an infinite amount of times, for an infinite amount of years, and it will always glow with the same brightness and last just as long (all else being equal).

How is it trash? Runs +8s/day. Pretty damn good for a non COSC auto.

I get that, I actually meant how does it not lose its potency over time unlike the previous technologies used?

What brands does /wt/ recommend other than Seiko, of course?

Not sure.

I think most luminous paints in the past used to be radioactive (radium and later tritium).
They didn't have to be "charged" by exposure to a lightsource, they would glow all the same even if you left the watch in the dark for months or even years.
But they do have a halflife, so after something like 8 years they would only glow half as brightly as when they were new.

I don't know if there was ever a lume that had to be charged, and lost potency over time, for whatever reason.

What do you want out of the watch?

Alright, thanks for being helpful.

My pleasure.
Watches are a completely fascinating field of T E C H N O L O G Y, and there's even a lot of philosophical merit behind the concept of timekeeping.
In other words: there's tons to talk and think about.

What do you mean?

For instance, if you're looking for straight timekeeping and low cost, a casio.
If you want to enjoy fine workmanship, a Lange.
If you want to enjoy actual history, a vintage watch.
If you want the pinnacle of standalone accuracy, a HAQ or an upcoming Citizen 0100
etc etc etc

I want something that will blow normalfags away but is under $5000, maybe $6000 and preferably isn't a Rolex.

That's tricky.
Normies might be blown away by a $200 casio, but not look twice at a $5k submariner.

Be more specific.

Well, I don't want a Casio. I guess something made of gold or platinum that normalfags recognize would be nice. Btw do submariners and divers look immature? Are they meant to be used by actual submariners and divers?

You want something that normans recognize, but not a Rolex?
Rolex is the most recognizable brand there is.
And if you want gold but under $5k you're going to have to look at vintage.

How are you today my favourite boomers?

Attached: Watch_Classic-Leather-45mm_2396_detail-w1_520x.jpg (520x780, 52K)

At what price range does a brand new real gold and platinum start then? Rolex is relatively common among normalfags now. it has started to lose its value. I guess like Tissot and Hublot.

Btw do submariner and diver watches look immature? Are they meant to be used by actual submariners and divers?

I think gold Swiss luxury watches start around 15-20k.

And no, divers aren't immature. They're sporty, like wearing trainers.

Which one, Jow Forums?

Attached: 28542375352_876cfccc38_k.jpg (1536x2048, 681K)

What watches would you recommend in real gold or platinum then? Under say $27000.

In many ways, pic related will objectively be the most "impressive".
Model reference is SBGH266.
The external finishing on Grand Seikos is second to none, at any price range.
The zaratsu polishing method they use will make any metal bling beyond belief, so the gold will pop like crazy.

If you buy into the whole "Swiss/European is more prestigious" thing, Lange is extremely respected and has some simple gold watches at that price.
Personally I think H Moser is one of the cooler Swiss brands around today, they do precious metals too.

Attached: Seiko-008.jpg (1024x683, 182K)

Frankly, they both look like shit.

Thanks. Which ones would you recommend under $6000 (my real budget)? Honestly I don't care about anything else other than that it impresses normalfags, Just list the ones that you think fit that criteria and I'll choose the one I like. I would like to avoid Rolex, Tissot and Hublot like brands and go for the cheaper watches in the more premium.ones but either is fine really. I just want normalfags to watch in AWE.

neither one really but if you really have to, the bottom one

For that budget you're probably going to have to go vintage if you want gold.
Neither vintage nor precious metals are my bag though, so I wouldn't know what to recommend.

If you want new, precious metals are pretty much out of the question, but you can still awe people.
If you want people to be awestruck visually, get a Grand Seiko.
If you want people to be awestruck by the brand, get a Rolex (or to a lesser extent an Omega, Breitling, ...)

Any recommendations for a hiking/camping watch? Would pic related be a good choice?

Attached: ss022292000_suunto_traverse_alpha_foliage_front_view_moon_phase_positive.png (550x550, 256K)

No, no. I just want a new one, I can't afford one in precious metals. Seiko is not Swiss so it's out of the equation for me.

But just for my curiosity, what is so special about a Grand Seiko?

By "vintage" do you mean used?

Is Rolex THE brand to impress normalfags?

Rolex is THE watch brand to end all brands. Known to everyone and high in quality. Under a microscope a Grand Seiko is noticeably better, peak autism basically. But they can only do that by making a fraction of the watches that Rolex does. Normalfags won't even recognize it.
"Is that a Rolex?" "No Grand Seiko" ...you're gonna hear that a lot.
For that budget you should choose the watch you like the best and come here to ask if it's wirth it. Protip: Don't buy watches for other people's reaction.

>come here to ask if it's wirth it.
How does one know if it's "worth it"?

I forgot to ask one thing, what sort of watch's value -- for sure -- APPRECIATES over time? Or at least stays the same or very close to it.

>Don't buy watches for other people's reaction.
Why not?

C A S I O
A
S
I
O

>what is so special about a Grand Seiko?
The external finishing is among the very best ever. In any price range.
See pic.
If you get a chance, handle one in person. The effect of their special polishing is insane.

>By "vintage" do you mean used?
It generally refers to watches that are a few decades old.
Some of the most coveted ones are from before quartz came to wristwatches, i.e. pre-1969 when mechanical watches were the best you could buy.

>Is Rolex THE brand to impress normalfags?
Rolex is by far the most well-known luxury Swiss brand. It's one of THE biggest names in luxury products, period.
The watches are actually pretty based too, for luxury Swiss mechanicals.
But they are also among the most mass-produced luxury wristwatches. They churn out a million pieces every year.

forgot pic

Grand Seiko's external finishing is insane.

Attached: SBGA129-detail-1.jpg (1200x902, 699K)

I own a SNK809 which I got used. Can the dial that shows the week day be replaced? Mine shows English and Spanish but I am looking for German. I searched on eBay but couldn't find anything.

No watch appreciates in value. Don't think of it as an investment. You'll always be able to pawn certain brand for good money but the second you put it on your wrist your watch is only worth 60% of what it once was (roughly speaking).
To make money off a watch you need to pour a ton of money in a already rare watch and a) be patient and b) lucky.
Not worth it are watches that are overpriced or try to deceit you. Panerai comes to mind, certain Omega models etc... Rolex is probably the only example in your price range that you can safely buy if you know you want to sell it again simply because the demand is always high and they raise prices for new ones all the time.
Other reasons why they might not be worth it could be terrible movement, fragility, terrible resale value, blinged out (more subjective) etc...
I don't know how to explain the last point to you but you can't run around trying to make yourself (more) happy by trying to get a reaction out of other people. It has to come from inside you and if you then realize others share your admiration for someone or something it can make it even better. I'm now imagining somebody sitting alone at home on the side of his bed, looking at his Submariner and thinking "boy did people comment on this watch today, I'm such a stud".

Attached: 1517406764954.jpg (640x640, 54K)

>It has to come from inside you and if you then realize others share your admiration for someone or something it can make it even better. I'm now imagining somebody sitting alone at home on the side of his bed, looking at his Submariner and thinking "boy did people comment on this watch today, I'm such a stud".
Well then what's the point of buying a watch at all then? Even after I buy my really expensive I will still use my phone to check the time; I just want it to get a reaction out of the normalfags I encounter.

What are some assets that are like a watch but usually DO appreciate over time?

I've never seen this on a watch, but it's beautifull.

vintage cars had a real good run the last few years, houses always work, a decent stock portfolio.
I'm not saying you aren't allowed to impress others but not only does it seem pointless to me to ONLY do it for that reason but you don't even seem to like these people. If you don't enjoy it yourself, why bother?
Checking the time on your wrist instead of taking out your digital pocket watch is way more practical by the way.
What are you looking for in a watch?

>What are you looking for in a watch?
I don't really know what to look for in a watch. My first priority was that its value appreciate over time, second would be that it should be made of precious metals so it has SOME value even after it has been bought, third would be that it should be impressive to normalfags. Other than that, I don't know much about what a watch can do other than work as a stopwatch maybe.

Do you work with nerdy people? If so, get a Speedmaster Professional and then in 5-10 years buy a yellow gold Submariner, the ultimate "fuck you" watch.
Keep in mind though that the Speedy is manual wind and not automatic.
What's your wrist size?

Attached: Speedy.jpg (750x1843, 796K)

I don't know my wrist size. What is a manual and a automatic wind?