Let's talk about systemd

Let's talk about systemd
why use it?
why not?

Attached: SYSTEMD-e1434229775958.gif (1968x639, 40K)

Other urls found in this thread:

serverfault.com/questions/755818/systemd-using-4gb-ram-after-18-days-of-uptime
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=systemd-2017-Git-Activity
suckless.org/sucks/systemd
web.archive.org/web/20170724100245/https://muchweb.me/systemd-nsa-attempt/
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
gensho.ftp.acc.umu.se/pub/debian-meetings/2018/DebConf18/2018-07-30/openrc-a-featureful-and-hackable-init-sy.webm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

the 30 year old boomers say it's botnet so i cant trust it

There's a LOT of reasons why people don't like it, and I think the people who don't like it all likely have their own reasons for not liking it.

Here's a posting about someone discovering a massive memory leak that used up 4GB of ram. While I have yet to see something this massive, I have definitely noticed Systemd using more memory than the alternatives, and some leakage here and there as well.
serverfault.com/questions/755818/systemd-using-4gb-ram-after-18-days-of-uptime

Some see it as an unnecessary security risk due to its massive attack surface. It recently hit 1 million lines of code.
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=systemd-2017-Git-Activity

Some don't like it because they dislike its habit of scope creep. The project ends up assimilating things that historically should not have anything to do with init. gif related.
suckless.org/sucks/systemd

There's also some other design decisions that people have an issue with, such as using Google DNS by default (because of course systemd can handle DNS), using binary logs, etc.

Lastly there's the conspiracy theory side of it, which alleges that systemd is an NSA attempt to compromise GNU/Linux, and due to Systemd as a project moving way too fast, it can't be properly audited.
web.archive.org/web/20170724100245/https://muchweb.me/systemd-nsa-attempt/

For more links and arguments, see:
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd

Attached: Systemd_anigif.gif (200x133, 772K)

thanks for giving such a good explanation

Attached: 1535250048487.png (532x582, 514K)

I've seen this pasta before.

>system8===D

what is it

systemd does too many things, how could you fully replace it?
you need a logger, a network manager etc..
too many things

It's a valid pasta regardless. I've just copied it to my clipboard in case any anons in later threads want to know more about systemd

Attached: 1533507141086.jpg (1432x1700, 785K)

>This setting is hence only used if no other DNS server information is known.
Look, it's literally nothing.

If you have a static IP and don't set a DNS, or if your DHCP server doesn't give you a DNS. This will only effect like .01% of users who are dumb enough to not set a DNS server

>how could you fully replace it?
ask Gentoo, GuixSD, Void, Devuan, Alpine, and MX Linux. They seem to be doing fine without it. Granted, as systemd assimilates more of the userland, these distros have had to extract parts of systemd into forked versions, such as elogind or eudev, as udev and logind are now a part of systemd.

I like unit files
I have a shitty service that needs to be restarted regularly, it's as simple as that:
cat >>/etc/systemd/system/servicename.service.d/restart.conf

On a lot of my Core2 machines, systemd for whatever reason will end up eating enormous amounts of RAM if I leave it running for more than two weeks. I'm not sure how to clear it, but a reboot always does the trick. But that's a pain. Usually I update my software once a month since I'm using Debian, and I don't usually reboot except for kernel updates. I've recently switched to Devuan (Debian without systemd) and there's no more super high RAM usage. I've left my PCs running for several weeks with Devuan and they're just fine. The sysvinit brings up the system just as advertised, and the system powers off instantly. Another annoying systemd bug is where it'll hang at poweroff or reboot, which really pissed me off.

Devuan is 10/10, would recommend to a friend.

Attached: 1535506990719.jpg (252x370, 13K)

You could also have just installed openrc I think it's maintained in mainline Debian

forgot pic

Attached: hitler.jpg (1089x1154, 325K)

I don't know if Debian supports it, but it's a choice during the installation of Devuan now.

Why openrc? And why would I tinker around with the parts of my system that make it boot? Sounds like there would be a good chance of breaking my system. Devuan is just a one and done install with sane defaults. The transition is super easy as well, since I can just reuse the process I have that I'd normally use for a new Debian system. I run a simple shell script as root that updates the repos, installs updates, then installs all of the packages I need. Then I copy over my dotfiles and other data and that's it.

But is there really a need for it when the defaults work fine? I'm not against giving users the choice of using openrc, though I don't see why you would.

Attached: 1536294705138.jpg (639x794, 129K)

The Debian openrc maintainer gave a talk recently and around 3:00 he gives a single aptitude invocation to switch initsystems
Debian will still be there in 10yrs I'm not sure about semi obscure deratives that's why I dont bother with these usally but whatever works for you

gensho.ftp.acc.umu.se/pub/debian-meetings/2018/DebConf18/2018-07-30/openrc-a-featureful-and-hackable-init-sy.webm

Attached: potteringsnap.jpg (720x569, 119K)

I use it because it's what Fedora ships with and it hasn't caused me any problems.

Thousands of lines of unaudited code staining gnu/linux.

>why use it?
>why not
I've literally seen no difference between systemd and non-systemd systems I've used because all I do is shitpost on Jow Forums and jerk off to doujinshi

mostly because systemd deprecate their large repo of init scripts
forcing them spend extra time rewriting init scripts into systemd units