Are cds dead?

Are cds dead?

Attached: 00-immortal_technique--bin_laden(remix)_ft_chuck_d_and_krs_1-promo-cds-2005-cd-aes.jpg (976x976, 457K)

Other urls found in this thread:

discogs.com/Alfa-Mist-Antiphon/release/10518726
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

pretty much

it's still the best sounding physical format, just nobody masters properly for it

Thanks to vinyl audiofools, yes.

I still pirate music and burn it to CDs to play in my car

I don't think so, they still seem like the best way to get high-quality lossless music in physical form. Also, what
said.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (1600x1200, 256K)

I bought a CD last week. Use that information as you will.

am planning buying kamikaze cd

Nah, I still use CDs to burn mp3 to listen in my car, also I'm using DVDs to store my most important data, besides having a copy on my home server and external HDD
Yet I'm still worried about data loss

Dying. During the past few years it has become increasingly difficult to go to a store and buy a new CD. Today, I don't even know where to buy them. You can find used CDs easily though.

I actually work for a place in Southern California that still duplicates and prints new CDs. Smaller runs, mostly 100-200 at a time. And we're making thousands of those fuckers per week. So clearly there's still some sort of market for them out there.

Also, we have the capabilities to make blurays, but the general public seems to be completely unaware they exist, and they always request DVDs instead.

No, flash memory prices are insane.
Blu ray is but that was just a proprietary stop gap between 4k streaming services and DVD

I threw all mine away.

Not in Japan its not. They fucking love CDs.
On the plus side, there is still a fair degree of theatrics to physical releases there.
Packaging is good with obis and stuff. And usually there's bonus tracks on the CD.

>blurays

I'm guessing it's their price and the DRM. DVD is still "good enough". All my HD video comes from the internet, not disc. No DRM, no expesive hardware required.

It's easy as shit to break Blu-Ray's DRM.

CDs are the only high capacity media that don't use magnets, I use them for backups just in case an EMP blows up or something.

I pirate FLAC rips and burn to CD as well as record internet radio to cassette, as my car's CD player is not working but the tape deck does.

pretty funny how people gave up their old CD players because they "don't play CD-Rs" but I have several CD decks from the '80s that read CD-Rs burned as music CDs just fine, including several Sony Discman models everyone swears cannot read CD-Rs.

tapes are fun to make and accentuate vocals, synth bass and string instruments really nicely.

CD releases are still popular in japan, even for some stuff that is usually vinyl-only.

Eg
discogs.com/Alfa-Mist-Antiphon/release/10518726
Median: €145.25

You can buy it on CD from Japan for about €20

magnetic media wont lose its bias unless an extremely powerful and directed magnetic field is applied to them. Even bulk erasers have to be relatively close to work. A nuclear weapon's EMP at minimum safe distance isn't long enough in duration to wipe a hard drive or even magnetic tape unless said device was literally within the blast radius.

Attached: nearly.png (1241x721, 56K)

>CDs are the only high capacity media that don't use magnets,
Tell that to my 128GB USB flash drive.

Nah, I bought a CD three weeks ago.

>Akina Nakamori - Jomaku
A cultured user

Attached: 1535781792998.jpg (970x674, 80K)

>no expesive hardware required.
You simply need an optical drive, so that is like $60 for a BD-RW.

I refuse to get music unless it's on a CD.

there's actually a bit of movement on CDs in the same scenes that helped revive tape. expect full-blown CD nostalgia by mid-2019.

What went wrong

Attached: SONY DAT PLAYER.jpg (600x229, 26K)

I'm actually playing a physical CD right now. When the day comes when Bluetooth isn't fiddly as shit, and FLAC releases cost less than the CD release, I'll convert to digital.

no. still use them daily

>They got rid of CD/DVD. They're coming for our guns next.

Attached: 1483124484459.png (308x233, 83K)

Sony being Sony and fucking themselves over with media formats they either want to keep for themselves or jew the fuck out of with licensing fees.

Yeah. I'm trying to find a good vintage CD player from the 80s to add to my audio system. They are surprisingly very expensive.

Uh, user...

wrong burger king music industry fucked them over.

when will hipsters revive cd's?

it looks like the proto hipsters have started on this thread already user.

They just get Eminem in pookistan?

They still release music on them.

Anyone who doesn't have at least 50CDs doesn't belong on Jow Forums.

>tfw have 2600 CDs and still aroind 250 LPs

You are a true patrician user. I have around 120 filled and 40 empty. I also have 23 cassettes but I have already burnt higher quality versions of everything on them on CDs. I do womder though, how do you make sure they don't degrade?

The usual cool dry environments. Also, don't buy chinkshit CDs of dubious quality.

Good luck now that JVC-Taiyo Yuden is no more.

I just put them in my bookcase, we have a moderate climate here though and not too humid. CDs from 1995 or so still working fine.
I still have a few cassettes as well (maybe 50) but I upgraded them as well and haven't touched them in years.

No. They're the best way to distribute software to others.

I still buy all my music on CD. It usually costs the same as an MP3 download and I rip any file format I want afterwards

Attached: b93.png (800x820, 267K)

Just bought The Downward Spiral on CD thanks to to the free "culture" money my government handed me

i buy actually cd because physical format it is
no free money for the digital rental merchant bastid
gonna still have my tunes after the innernette goes away

Attached: 1497896026276.jpg (633x402, 38K)

I stick the CDs I won't touch for a long time in cases and then in ziploc bags and then in a gray plastic box thingy with wheels in my storage room the others I keep in a small wooden box on my desk.

What about Mitsui/MAM-A CDs?

marantz cd-63se

I'm in love with her voice, especially as it gets more husky as she ages.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (800x1244, 129K)

you could just use your phone and some bluetooth speakers you know

last cd i bought was about 18 years ago

just bought yesterday 3 singles and 1 album. i ocassionally try to find music from 90's and 00's which i listened as a youngster and haven't found them from digital sources.

It's still the best way to buy music
>Get physical copy with no DRM or really weak DRM
>You can easily rip off the tracks lossless or lossy (whichever you prever) and keep them forever as long as you have redundancy
>You can even copy them to another CD or archive them to a BD if you feel like it