/plan9/ Thread

Hey everyone! Come check out the new 9front release!

9front.org

Post desktops, what you're working on, etc.

Attached: runfromzone.front.png (500x646, 424K)

Other urls found in this thread:

code.9front.org/hg/ports/log?rev=quake
man.cat-v.org/9front/2/9p
code.9front.org/hg/ports/file/a9c0aebe278e/games-misc
man.9front.org/3/ip
fqa.9front.org/fqa3.html
fqa.9front.org/fqa3.html#3.1
drawterm.9front.org)
reddit.com/r/plan9/comments/9dn5o9/plan_9_on_rpi_3b/
github.com/golang/go/wiki/Plan9.
bitbucket.org/mycroftiv/grio
doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/
fqa.9ront.org
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Check my rice

Attached: dHdWogS.png (1280x1024, 28K)

is 9front the only OS left without political bullshit?

Why is it suddenly it a thing these days?

Yep, better learn the system now

>dark as my soul
Heretic begone.

Attached: glenda_and_tux.jpg (546x436, 8K)

Why wouldn't it be a thing? It's a great OS.

Go back to #cat-v

Posting more rice

Attached: VMUK72z.png (1600x900, 28K)

Attached: 9chording01.png (500x367, 718K)

post diff

>Go back to #cat-v
No, you go back to desktop threads. The Plan 9 color scheme was designed to be read easily, and that needs high contrast black-on-white text. Keep ricing for archfags.

The color scheme that works for #cat-v doesn't necessarily work for everyone else. Stop being such a prick and just let other people use the OS the way that works for them.

Work setup

Attached: 3A3DD111-0E5B-4B2B-9E70-6CDB72BB9D2F.jpg (4032x3024, 2.1M)

>without political bullshit
Anything with this symbol is complete trash. Kill yourselves.

Attached: 1518380742797.png (200x197, 21K)

You want black-on-white? Here you fucking go

Attached: VcxeInw.png (1600x900, 71K)

>work
>plan9
I don't understand.

Plan9 is a super comfy C dev environment. 9front actually has Go and OCaml support now as well.

Yep. 9front is my preferred work environment. Have some scripts set up to ssh to my Linux host to run builds and shit. The whole thing works beautifully, as designed.

Attached: nUChvUz.png (1600x900, 58K)

Best web browser for plan9?

Attached: 9mothra01.png (498x387, 203K)

comfy af
what i can do with plan9 besides code c89?

You're stuck with Mothra unless you run OpenBSD or Alpine in vmx to get access to Firefox or something else.

my daily driver

Attached: scrot.png (1280x800, 234K)

Code Go and OCaml, or play old Nintendo games. We have emulators up to the gba.

I use it for pretty much everything I used to use straight Linux for. Email, web browsing, irc, matrix, coding, listening to music. Any apps that don’t have plan9 equivalents can be filled in with ssh or vnc. You can use more than one OS at once

Very nice! What sorts of things do you work on?

Attached: 1526851361212.jpg (1182x486, 251K)

I write lots of go

what's plan9?

Attached: what.jpg (600x249, 23K)

Yeap, it runs Doom.

Attached: GDnyKUv.png (1600x900, 43K)

Im writing a new embedded OS. Should I include support for 9P? Is there anything a little Cortex-M4 or RISC-V chip or similar microcontroller could contribute to a 9P network?

Anyone know what the plan9/9front alternative to unix domain sockets is?

Had a brief look a while back, but couldn't find a direct equivalent and the chatroom people just lolled at me :(

We also have Quake and Quake 2!

if you spent more than 5 minutes on the site you would know its fucking ironic. look at the CoC for fucks sakes 9front even comes with a fucking mein kampf and the unabomber manifesto you fucking dumb faggot

Attached: wrenchie.jpg (960x720, 68K)

>We also have Quake and Quake 2!
Which ports?

I don't know, but which chatroom? There are a couple and the only non-cancer one is the 9front discord.

code.9front.org/hg/ports/log?rev=quake

huh. There was an irc channel for 9front, but I can't find it again.

man.cat-v.org/9front/2/9p

#cat-v

code.9front.org/hg/ports/file/a9c0aebe278e/games-misc

Open a clone file in /net
man.9front.org/3/ip

Stay far far far away from #cat-v, they're crazy

No. Much simpler to use srv/9p for this. Whole point of Unix domain sockets is not having to hit the tcp/ip stack and keeping connections completely local

I visited the site, and that symbol told me all I needed to know. Enjoy your trash, trash.

Have fun sucking Linus' SJW CoC.

Attached: plan9.png (1280x800, 45K)

Can someone recommend me hardware to run 9front on? What is actually compatible? I don't need a chinkpad, I really want something small like a NUC.

Sounds like a NUC would work.
fqa.9front.org/fqa3.html
> Selecting appropriate hardware to run your 9front system on is important, as it can mean the difference between success and failure of a project. Fortunately, most common PC hardware is at least minimally functional in Plan 9 (excluding certain exotic audio, VGA, and WiFi devices). Nowadays, thanks to 9boot(8), realemu(8), and the VESA driver, it is at least very likely that your PC will boot. In addition, most popular virtualization platforms are reasonably well supported.
>Many video cards for which there exists no native VGA driver can be made to work with the generic VESA driver. Examples are provided below.

YES finally a new release, i though the team was dead

this is the power of bind(1)

Attached: rootrootrootrootrootrootrootroot.png (1022x766, 72K)

even though you said no chinkpad, x220 runs 9front *flawlessly*. wifi and everything. here is the official hardware guide: fqa.9front.org/fqa3.html#3.1

honestly though, 9front runs so well in qemu when connected to via drawterm (drawterm.9front.org) that I would recommend going that route instead. you also then get the benefits of having access to your host system through ssh or vnc from 9front. sounds loopy but it works extremely well.

friend of mine with a NUC has said that 9front refuses to boot on his after installation. #cat-v guys also feel that the NUC is a flaming pile of shit and is super horrible to get anything running on

There was a recent inquiry on rpi 3b+ support
reddit.com/r/plan9/comments/9dn5o9/plan_9_on_rpi_3b/
idk where that's going, though.

As for refusing to boot after installation, if the installer can boot, the install should also boot. Sounds weird. I think I got that on vm when I selected efi partition instead of mbr.

So #cat-v guys are dicks as usual

Just want you guys know how much I appreciate your work.

>19 ips
DOZENS OF US

nope, just another hell hole

Sheeit. What should I do before even fetching those? Copy the whole thing into /sys/ports ?

cd /sys
hg clone code.9front.org/hg/ports

or clone it somewhere else and do
bind ports /sys/ports

>black-on-white
>read easily
This is the most absurd thing I've ever read on Jow Forums. Plan9 confirmed meme.

you can change it

Reduced diaphragm caused by the bright background reduces blur caused by astigmatism and farsightedness. This is optics 101.

OpenBSD. They avoid the political bullshit and just code.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-06-27 at 11.40.53 PM.png (1980x2058, 1.36M)

thanks for fucking destroying the thread

Had a good chuckle

Can I cross compile 9front for ppc?

There is someone working on a ppc port. I don't know the status.

you have a PowerPC processor? how?

old Macs

>my daily driver
So how you posted?

Driving something else

They probably didn't knew either.

Can I use plan9 not having a mouse, only touchpad?

Is there a guide for how to port software to 9front? I'd like to port some popular open source software but don't know where to start.

Yes, you can. The ecosystem is designed around mouse usage but trackpad can work when used with keyboard.

Hmm, interesting. I only tried the Acme editor (from p9port) which I liked, but keyboard controls are IMO more convenient when writing code. Now I must install 9front on my laptop, wanted to do it for a long time.

I also heard there's a Go compiler there, but can't find the binaries now. Is there really? Found only this github.com/golang/go/wiki/Plan9.

ok so i've booted into it
now what?
I cant even type help into terminal

Such a harmful reply!

Attached: 1432759215155.png (2421x2522, 2.93M)

Please explain where mein kampf is on 9front

They did include the same social policies of that pink haired lardbeast that pozzed the Linux kernel CoC. I'm not sure if BSD doe this shit anymore. Some of the SJWs trying to infiltrate them got kicked out after controversy.
But yes BSD is at least somewhat better because the kernel is still developed for engineers by engineers.

I'm talking about OpenBSD and not FreeBSD which is absolutely cucked *hugs*

Whish to install this but it doesnt recognize my sata hard drive any fix out there?
> inb4 im dumb

Attached: 1508719418550.jpg (500x371, 41K)

>what happens when children try to leave Jow Forums
This is very embarassing

Attached: 2018-09-17-102419_1356x684_scrot.png (1356x684, 206K)

Can Plan9 be used through GUI only?
I'm just a regular user who wants a simple, light, non-botnet OS without pussy/maga hat-wearing morons ruining it.

Hey, I had that wallpaper. Got rid of it because the repeating stars pattern was annoying.

>I'm just a regular user who wants a simple, light, non-botnet OS without pussy/maga hat-wearing morons ruining it.
This is not for you sorry.

Can you be more specific?

Harmful things:
What I don't like
More pleasant alternatives:
What I like

Attached: blob9.png (500x456, 46K)

How does one rice plan9(no really i want to learn to use it)

This. Plan9 is extremely political. Users who want a non political OS should try Shrine.

>853 mb just eaten.
Fucking how did you achieve this?
Is there any way of making desktop environment more keyboard centered like i3? My laptop has a shitty trackpad and i use the mouse on my pc.

Edit the source

How do I do anything?
I'm just stuck with a terminal I don't know how to use. I'm yet to type something that isn't an error

grio by mycroftiv is a nice start if you just want color swaps: bitbucket.org/mycroftiv/grio

Other than that it's pretty easy to just edit pieces of the source and throw something together.

Attached: 0fcr41.png (1919x1079, 53K)

An operating system.

doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/

Though the modern forks are really just 9front, 9ants, and 9legacy.

Attached: 9frontsystemnixon.jpg (500x317, 57K)

inst/start begins the installation.

Recommended reading for usage is:
fqa.9ront.org
9p.io/wiki/plan9/UNIX_to_Plan_9_command_translation/index.html

Attached: acmescr.gif (1024x768, 63K)