Why the fuck do I need to study math AND physics for computer science? This is such bullshit...

Why the fuck do I need to study math AND physics for computer science? This is such bullshit. I mean I could understand Calculus, but physics, REALLY? I mean come on now. I'm not trying to be a fucking scientist. How many computer science jobs are really going to require physics? This is fucking ridiculous. And it's fucking hard as shit on top of it. And don't give me the whole "it's a brainlet filter" excuse either, because anyone with the time and drive can and does pass those classes. Seriously I don't get it, it's not like you're going to learn enough physics to be good at it anyway if you're doing computer science. Can anyone explain this to me?

Attached: 7aea9d54da5ba116e84a6d41fbe8c57d.jpg (500x344, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

quora.com/What-is-the-importance-of-Physics-in-Computer-Science
glassdoor.com/Salary/NASA-Salaries-E7304.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

And another thing, why is there so much math involved in computer science anyway? I may as well be a fucking math major it's so fucking much

You're not gonna make it, switch to an IT certificate brainlet

So you don't have any real answer and you're a faggot, thanks

Math for understanding/analyzing algorithms and for physics
Physics for electricity and magnetism

If you don't want to actually know how shit works just take one of those year-long codemonkey boot camps instead of going to a real school.

lol, make excuses for being a brainlet.
Just because you don't know how to apply the knowledge doesn't mean it's useless.
Sounds like you should just stick to webdev tier.

Math for training in logical thinking

Physics because hardware is on the molecular level and you need to understand how those parts work together.

You're not really cut out for school

>AND physics for computer science
But you don't? What school do you go to?

Not OP but I'm a 30+ sql monkey. What's my hope for doing back to school to be a real boy? Should I just stick to meme certs?

Aren't those memes?
>Dur if you don't love every single class you take in college you're not cut out for school hur
Fuck off and die
I'm in CC but my state's IT school requires Physics 3 for graduation, so I have to take Physics 1 and 2 before graduation. I could probably go to a liberal arts school that doesn't require that, but the job placement would most likely be far weaker. Who decides what should and shouldn't be included in computer science programs? I'm assuming it's the companies that hire out of those schools that ask for those things?

Knowledge is power faggot

If it's applied/practical knowledge I will use sure, but learning bullshit just for the sake of it is not something I find appealing. I consider my time valuable and I could be doing shit I actually enjoy or want to learn

What did you think you were going to be doing when you finally got a job, coding simple loops that just increment with user input? You need to know math and physics so you can actually make something of worth.

Why do I have to study fucking Biology with a bunch of meme spouting, juul worshipping, fornite playing, adidas tracksuit wearing, macbook buying fucking freshmen with no sense of responsibility and discipline when all I wanted was to learn to program and then branch out from there?

Attached: 1533609890115.gif (500x300, 5K)

You really should become a cook or something instead, you are never going to finish this school

Where the fuck are you going to school where you're doing Biology?

Lol that's why I dropped out. It's a long road out of poverty without a degree unless you have a badass portfolio.

>why is there maths in an applied maths degree
Gee I wonder why op

there's a difference between loving every class in college or having the foresight to know why it's important

because in the future we'll be merging human brains with AI, faggot

There are many important impacts of physics on computer science.

1. Physics of spinning disks. The amount of data that can be stored and retrieved from spinning disk drives are governed by the speed at which they spin. The limit of that speed is obviously a material problem, but the physics of the spin, and the direct impact of that spin speed on data storage and latency is critical to modern computer science. Most personal computer disk drives of a given generation are roughly similar in this regard. But in the business world there are important choices to be made between disks that spin at 7200RPM or 10000RPM or 15000RPM (and increasingly now solid state disks that don't spin, but thats not relevant to this answer).

A disk spinning at 7200RPM is not likely to be able to sustain more than 100-120 actions a second (reads or writes). This value could be easily double that on a disk spinning at 15000RPM. Now the slower spinning disk can be larger (back to the materials issue), but if you can't get data on/off of that larger disk fast, or at scale, you have to buy a ton more of them to architect a solution that will perform as well. That could mean lots of extra cost in space/power/wasted capacity, etc.

2. Speed of light. The speed of light is directly relevant to computer science in lots of ways. It seems like a gigantic speed, but given the millions of calculations going on in a CPU or GPU, fractions of a microsecond matter. In long-distance telecommunications, the speed of light is directly relevant again. All fiber-optics operate by sending light pulses. Every single light pulse is a bit of data (a 1 or a 0). Lasers can create very discreet pulses and send them out, but the raw physics of the speed of light in a glass fiber dictates how long it will take to get that bit down the glass.

There are a couple of starters. There are several others that you might also look at

1.) Rate of heat generation in a semi-conductor (CPU) and its effect on its conductivity. Basically the reason why you need a 2 pound heat sync for your thumb-nail sized CPU.

2.) There are also a series of raw physics properties about how light bounces and reflects off the interior surface of the glass strand that dictate how long a single piece of fiber can be before signal degrades to the point it can no longer be read. There are many easily searchable white papers on "single-mode" and "multi-mode" fiber and their properties. In one of my training long ago it was even possible to calculate the length in feet/meters of a given piece of data being sent over a cable/fiber based on the physical properties.

>I'm not trying to be a fucking scientist
>computer science

Attached: 1492292859874.jpg (250x250, 93K)

Not OP but my school offers a bachelors in arts in computer science. It's basically the same of the BS but with less math and science classes. Should I major in that instead if I hate math but still want to do CS? Will recuiters think I'm a brainlet?

>discs with higher rpm are faster, therefore higher rpm discs are more cost-effective in some situations

this is so insightful thank you user for gracing me with your divine presence

Computer science and hard science are not the same thing you imbecile

You're welcome
>quora.com/What-is-the-importance-of-Physics-in-Computer-Science
>t. google

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic

>implying that you can tell sarcasm on the internet
>literally kys

Just get a bachelor of arts in CS. It's basically upper div CS classes + liberal arts electives

its a branch of applied mathematics, also sharing pieces of theory with other sciences, like physics and even psychology

as some said before, you should probably drop out and instead go for certificated; you likely arent gona make it

So in your view I have to be in love with physics or I'm "not gonna make it"? Again, what jobs will require physics? How will taking TWO fucking physics classes give me enough practical knowledge to use physics for those jobs? I know you're a fucking neet retard so I don't expect you to give an actual answer to that question, but I'll be waiting anyway

it's about logic training. the idea is that if you can complete a physics course you'll have better logic skills than people who don't, and most cs jobs are about applying your logic skills

That's fucking stupid though. Id much rather they make the cs classes themselves harder or replace physics for math if it's for logic training. Physics is fucking gay as fuck and I hate it

math/physics both are fundamental knowledge.
calculus is used extensively in optimization, e.g. SVM, machine learning, regression
linear algebra is used in scientific compute (solving systems of diffy eqs), also ML, computer vision/graphics, big data
differential eqs/physics are necessary for understanding game physics, game theory, balance/equilibrium, and obviously scientific compute.
discrete mathematics like combinatorics and graph theory are used extensively for algo analysis, networking, cryptography, scheduling

computer science is a SCIENCE, it's not called "coding 101", any monkey can code. without math and science it's like speaking a language fluently but you have no topic to speak about. a computer science degree expects you to apply or elevate the field of computer science on something more than a ruby on rails website to peddle your python coding tutorial.

Nah I already checked, I'd still have to do calculus 2 and physics 2 and stats at the bare minimum. Unless I'm missing something it's pretty much the same, at least in my state

>So in your view I have to be in love with physics or I'm "not gonna make it"?
no, you arent gonna make it because you dont understand "why", not due to lack of interest. everyone hates some subjects.

>Again, what jobs will require physics? How will taking TWO fucking physics classes give me enough practical knowledge to use physics for those jobs?
you are in fucking UNIVERSITY. its the highest education level. its purpose is NOT to merely equip you for job but to turn you into an academic, a scholar, a someone who can advance the field. for that, a broader range of theory must be taught.

if you want to be simply a programming code monkey, get a certificate instead

>I know you're a fucking neet retard so I don't expect you to give an actual answer to that question, but I'll be waiting anyway
i have masters degree in computer science and am currently employed. you are the one in the brainlet position in this discussion, not me.

tldr: "how is it good for my job" is the wrong question

Okay this is a fair point, but here the thing. How many jobs are there that actually are like this? I mean sure, I'd love to work for Telsa or NASA or some other really cool shit like that and make tons of money, but the odds are pretty low. I'm not going to MIT or Harvard. I don't have low expectations for myself but I'm not delusional either

>Implying I wasn't
>Wooosh

lol nice bait!

sure, there's a lot of jobs like that. startups, national labs, even conventional dotcom companies not just amazon but little ones like glassdoor or indeed are looking for people with a little more than just webdev experience. they can always just hire a freelancer from india to do easy stuff.

the thing about jobs is not to cut off possibilities because tech industry is very competitive and sometimes small advantages can make or break.

Are you trying to dumb down the world even more? Switch majors if you don't like it. Get your job if you don't need the courses in your degree program.

>physics
>hard

It's the fucking easiest maths. It's literally using equations others have come up with. It's not even abstract in the slightest. I recommend dropping out.

That way you spend more shekels

No it is 100% lack of interest. You think I haven't tried to learn physics? You think I haven't sat down and tried problem after problem, only to not only get them ALL wrong but be completely off? At this point I'm sick of it and the class just fucking started. Every time I do calculus problems I want to shoot myself. At this point I just want to pass, even with a C I don't give a damn anymore. I'm just going to study physics solutions until I have it memorized. Next semester, if I pass this class, I'm taking the easiest motherfuckers for physics/math I can possibly find. I don't care if I have to wake up at 6AM or have a 6 hour gap in between classes I'm done with this. Now I finally understand why Koreans and pajeets cheat their asses off in these classes they suck so bad.

Oh ok. You're just mad cause you don't get it.
Brainlet comfirmed.

Dude, seriously, stop wasting money and drop out.

I guess you're right, it's just really frustrating right now. I think it's that I'm sick of being in school that's part of the problem. I really want to graduate but part of me doesn't even want to do this bullshit anymore. But I've put in so much time and effort that quitting isn't even a real option anymore.

What specific degree and specialization did you go for? If it's any kind of hard "computer science" yes that's what's required of you.
>also implying programmers don't have to implement or model logically consistent systems of physics in their projects
This. Albeit electricity and magnetism is more for hardware design. The physics specsof computational engineering in my country is all semiconductors, basically gearing graduates for companies like TSMC.
That's fucking nothing you pathetic brainlet.
There are also trades oriented computing schools. They have packages where you get a shitton of certificates that'll get you employed somewhere. Youtube it.
I'm sorry about the brainlets shitposting you. That is indeed knowledge that's very important for CS professionals. Which is what colleges should be producing if they weren't so pozzed with SJW and female oriented garbage now.

LMAO all these fags who didn't think computer science isn't applied hard science. Wish you went to trade school huh brainlet :^)

Attached: 1409762428750.png (400x300, 153K)

This is why even though I want to learn programming I never will. Math is fucking aids, aint nobody got time for that shit

That's what happens when you go to school right after being in school for 12 years.
Go get a tatse if the real world and you will appreciate learning these higher concepts.

>Aren't those memes?
Any curriculum without calculus, linear algebra, chemistry, and physics is a meme. OP said he wanted a meme.

Attached: internethole.jpg (640x330, 31K)

>Go get a tatse if the real world and you will appreciate learning these higher concepts.
Nah NPCs gonna NPC.

Attached: 1526060472633.png (600x600, 521K)

It makes sense to study math, but physics is just filler for the degree.

In other words everything except BioInformatics?

That is in the domain of electrical/computer engineering.

If anything learning these concepts makes me hate the world more

What would a non-hardware design oriented CS major use chemistry knowledge for? The only useful shit I can see is knowing the temperature tolerances of materials, how corrosion works and why different cooling systems and materials work the way they do.
All useful stuff sure, but something I'd say you could pick up during a single "computing oriented chemistry" course. Which would be a lot more practical than doing chemistry 101-103. Of course we all know why colleges like doing shit inefficiently.
And yes, hardware design, software design and middle-man CS should be different specialization options in an ideal world.
I'm really digging the spread of the NPC meme.
We already gave reasons for why physics is important, but I do agree that colleges do include a lot of other filler to grab your shekels.
The R language and framework is really important for all statistics work and you're likely to run into it in the professional work assuming you're not a complete code monkey.
Still shit that's good to know for any CS graduate. CE people specialize in the hardcore/deep level of those things among others.
Welcome to the world now enjoy your stay.

Attached: image.jpg (2000x1050, 221K)

Only a small percentage. If you're not extremely smart, you won't be getting jobs that require that kind of knowledge anyway.

You're saying it's normal to hate people and the world more as you advance pass higher ed courses?

I have the opposite problem of OP, I WANT to learn maths and physics. I'm studying software engineering and sometimes get depressed about not being able to do another degree like EE or physics.

We have one class next year which covers algebra/vectors, Sets, Functions, Relations, maps, hashing, probability, logic, induction and use of mathematica software. Will that be enough that I can not feel like a brainlet? i don't wanna be just a professional pajeet.

We also have a class later on that covers
"Automata Theory, Pushdown Automata
Context Free Languages/Grammars
Turing Machines
Complexity Theory
BNF Grammars",
Not sure if that's related to maths or what. I've only heard of turing machines.

Why not double major in math or physics, or switch altogether?

>What would a human being use chemistry knowledge for?
ftfy. This is basic I'm worth the air I consume level shit. When am I going to use this is a question that only niggers ask outside of humanities.

Attached: 1525594635392.jpg (1024x1024, 126K)

This is the proper response. When many think of Computer Science they assume it's what you need to get a job as a programmer or something. It's not, CS is more theoretical as opposed to applied and sets you up for masters studies and actually contributing to your field in some capacity. To do that you require intense analytic skills, knowledge of the underlying restrictions, how the guiding principles work, etc.

If you want a practical education university isn't where you should be. What you are looking for is technical schools or trade schools that set you up for the real workplace, current practices and hands on experience. You won't learn about ASTs or need insane amounts of math, but it will be applicable to employment needs of the time. This is the major difference between trade schools and universities that many fail to notice, universities don't prepare you for a job, they give you competence in a field. It's also half the reason we have unemployable university grads, they are set up for continuing academic work not in tune with the employers.

As for needing to take things outside of the main component of your education, you need to consider that university education is considered a general education. This means that after you have a degree you should be a well-rounded individual with a specialization in a specific area. This is something tradesmen don't have to worry about, but typically you don't call tradesmen 'educated' (which is derogatory as fuck).

And if you're taking education in America: lol.

He's right though, college is time consuming and expensive. We should be emphasizing efficiency and this idea of forcing students to learn bullshit for the sake of it is outdated. The fact you cannot give a valid reason why someone would need to take chemistry for CS says it all right there and is part of the problem.

i dropped out of highschool and tested into software eng with a standardised test which is basically an iq test. i still don't have the knowledge they'd expect me to have to go into maths or physics at university level. Maybe if I pick up some maths while doing software eng I could use that as a foundation for further study,

I went to a highly-ranked CS school (Waterloo) and we never had to take physics or chem.

So you're taking remedial classes? Wait until you get into Cal 2 or Diff Eqs, then come back and tell us you want to do more math

i'm not a burger. If I don't choose to they won't teach me any math beyond what I posted during my study for this degree.

>chemistry is bullshit
Just go to a codemonkey bootcamp already. Free up a seat for someone who deserves it.

>The fact you cannot give a valid reason
Damn now I see we need to throw in some philosophy courses too.

Attached: 1525723359803.jpg (1092x747, 203K)

>Why the fuck do I need to study math AND physics for computer science?
Because you aren't a stupid pussy bitch, are you?

most computer scientists barely know what components their computers even have except for the cpu because of heavy branding eg. intel core i7. i don't see how any of this shit is useful unless you plan to be doing low level programming, which many graduates will NOT be doing.

It's bullshit in terms of CS program, yes
>philosophy courses
Oh good, lets force CS students to take more shit they don't need, like glorified weedbro classes

Got my degree after 30. Go for it

>studying for a class makes you a tough guy
You need to be 18 to post here

>throw in some philosophy courses
Cringe.

>calc 2
>hard
Kek

How much are you making now?

>>Who decides what should and shouldn't be included in computer science programs?
Pretty sure its ABET, but I could be wrong.

those topics are useless to know unless you want to get in compiler design, i'm not sure anyone sane would want to do that but i guess some people like it. but to answer your question, they are pretty much discrete math topics.

Doubtful, otherwise every class would be carbon copies of each other as far as programs are concerned, which they definitely are not

every school rather

>It's bullshit in terms of CS program, yes
How do you plan to use your CS degree without interacting with matter?

You can do that without wasting time on greek pederasts.

>have to take all sorts of humanities
>complains about the math and hard sciences being bloat

You aren't fucking slick, Jamal. We know your ass failed out of these classes. Read a book instead of looking for shit to steal.

Attached: mathisracist.jpg (707x441, 46K)

Do I need to work on an engine to drive a car? Do I need to know how an engine works at all? So why would I need to know this?

Go back to world star hip hop, Jamal.

Attached: tyronetest.jpg (800x450, 38K)

Strawman. I never implied any of that shit. If you listened in high school you have enough knowledge of exactly that topic to do fine in a highly focused CS program. As you cover the intricacies of data and computing related courses, you can fill in the blanks with your previous knowledge. America is in deep shit if you have to assume your college students are brainlets of that level that they would need to be re-educated in the basics of natural sciences.
>fuck off strawman brainlet nigger
No one claimed that brainlet nigger
You don't need to know what a keyboard is made out of it to use it. And if you passed high school and managed to enter college you should know at least know that much.
no u

Is this really the level of American college, to assume that college freshmen are that retarded? Fuck that only confirms the requirement of all these extra natural science courses.

Attached: c41.gif (276x268, 235K)

You'll need basic chemistry to program an ECU, Jamal.

Attached: racistmathtest0.jpg (760x309, 54K)

>I could understand calculus
It's not something you should doubt. Physics perhaps. But all the math you'll face is necessary.
This has to be a joke. Computer science is a misnomer. It's computational math. You ask questions like 'in my computer which is a black hole plasma, what search algorithm fits this dataset best?'. And the like. You also invent the search algorithms and figure ways to structure the data to give properties you desire.

University is not a place where you learn job skills, brainlet. It's where you learn skills to become a researcher/scientist! I swear, you retards are something else.

Man, top left is on another level. Afraid to point the gun at his reflection so he points it at the camera.

This is actually a good point. That would be much more accurate, descriptive and avoid all the problems that come from brainlets assuming they need to force themselves go to colleges when they don't belong there, especially when they don't take the time to figure out anything about the degree they're choosing.
By definition not in most European countries. Of course I know I'm opening a distracting can of worms with that because.
>lol Europenistan

>Fuck that only confirms the requirement of all these extra natural science courses.
High school is a fucking joke. We can't legally segregate our schools. hat means you have some 80IQ nigger in all of your classes. You have to teach for the dumbest in your class unless your student to teacher ratio is really low. This means you're teaching 90% of the nation's students like a person with mild mental retardation.

Now they're trying to cut out math and science in College because it's holding these 80IQ types back from getting a degree and killing someone with their incompetence. They've declared science and math racist and are waging war against it, and here we are. Why do I need to know basic shit? Just give me my diploma.

Why I need to learn math and science for a STEM degree? Just teach Python.

Attached: 7b24o9odkvtz.png (1440x2560, 828K)

Yeah it's a fucking dumpster fire. Fucking old flower hat ladies dominating the teachers unions are trying to make it worse in Europe too.
I really feel for all of you guys who have to suffer from shitty education systems.
Trade schools have become the viable solution in all fields where you want to pursue careers or jobs. If you autistically care about academia educate yourself at your home or local library now, we have close to free access to the entire wealth of human knowledge now.
This is actually accurate lol, most engineering degrees now get taught programming basics in python. If they're EE then they do some C and EE specific systems programming.

>implying you will make bank at NASA
>implying NASA is full of ivy leaguers
just remember that you're still a kid and don't know shit about shit. just take the fucking classes, you're not qualified to know if you need them or not

The sad part is that this is only going to get worse, especially if the left gets it way and forces districts to take in low-income niggers and spics into districts they don't even live in, on the basis of "diversity". This is why I'll never send my kids to a public school unless the average SAT score is in the 90 or high percentile. It's only a matter of time before colleges start eliminating math from stem altogether since niggers can't be bothered to put the blunt down and fucking study for once.

glassdoor.com/Salary/NASA-Salaries-E7304.htm

and you consider that making bank? definitely not considering the education and experience of those people, and the fact that they are making much less than they otherwise could working in industry, plus many are living in high cost of living areas like DC, bay area, or Pasadena. Sure you can have a good middle class lifestyle but you're not gonna make bank there. if you think those salaries are making bank, you have to get some perspective. NASA and govt in general have a tough time hiring people cause they don't pay enough