I don't understand how the internet works. How does data travel over the "wire"? Electrical impulses...

I don't understand how the internet works. How does data travel over the "wire"? Electrical impulses? How does a computer never fuck up, ever? How is it so consistent? But every time I email someone, they always get what I sent them.. Without fail, how? They're always perfect...

Attached: 1531872079302.jpg (587x583, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

medium.com/@maneesha.wijesinghe1/what-happens-when-you-type-an-url-in-the-browser-and-press-enter-bb0aa2449c1a
youtube.com/watch?v=gUmDVe6C-BU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine_communications_cable
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Don't worry about it, get back to your facebook and your emails and stop thinking about it

Attached: 6ee.jpg (491x491, 40K)

This is the result of fifty years of research, inventions, and progress.
You can find a summary here: medium.com/@maneesha.wijesinghe1/what-happens-when-you-type-an-url-in-the-browser-and-press-enter-bb0aa2449c1a
For every part of the article there are dozen of protocols and systems(CPUs) used

The internet is a series of tubes.

hello brainlet

>non-meme, helpful reply
What is this, reddit?

Magick

Attached: ,.png (508x589, 221K)

>How does data travel over the "wire"?
binary, 0 & 1's.

>How does a computer never fuck up, ever
they do. parts wear out. parts are made faulty. A thunderstorm can fuck your shit up if you dont have a surge protector.

>But every time I email someone, they always get what I sent them
because email servers like google have hundreds of thousands of servers spread across the world.

Tell me, HOW does data travel over the wire? What pushes it? What inside the computer pushes these messages out?

it's called voltage you dummy, a transistor opens and closes a circuit and allows a voltage to be applied to a wire, then a chip at the other end of that wire measures the voltage and hences determines whether it is a 1 or a 0

Now he's going to ask us how electrons propagate down wires or something.

Attached: 1524627616654.gif (640x550, 204K)

Ever heard about morse code? "Data" is something like that. A bunch of zeroes and ones in specific sequences, which in turn, travels as blinking light.

Spoiler... They mostly don't.

youtube.com/watch?v=gUmDVe6C-BU

Reddit? This. Is. 4CHAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!

Based

That post skips layer 2 and layer 3 entirely which OP is clearly actually interested in.

You go clack clack
Computer do beep beep
Wire go bzzzzz
Repeat reverse

Attached: 094856904.jpg (900x720, 128K)

Magisk*

Attached: nexus2cee_Magisk-Generic-Hero.png (1024x576, 235K)

Duck Newton's cradle.

I don't understand how the telegraph system works. How does data travel over the "wire"? Electrical impulses? How does a telegraphic receiver never fuck up, ever? How is it so consistent? But every time I send a telegraph to someone, they always get what I sent them.. Without fail, how? They're always perfect...

Attached: hurr how do i speed of light.jpg (344x454, 33K)

Servers hosts websites, they wait to get http requests from a client and send the webpage data through a giant and long ethernet cable to the client. The internet is nothing more than a giant lan party. There are layers of abstraction tho with tier 3 providers etc but, e v e r y o n e i s c o n n e c t e d. Also dns servers help you access websites so instead of writing facebook and google's ip in your kotepad you just type their domain name, then the dns server reads ypur request and redirects you to the correct ip. Hope I could help, might be wrong on some points tho.

>How does a computer never fuck up, ever?
Boolean logic. It simply can't fuck up. checksums also make sure your computer always send the exact data they should. See wikipedia's page on boolean logic and the one on CPUs.

cringe

And yes, there are literally massive cables criss-crossing our oceans.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine_communications_cable

Attached: submarine cable.jpg (1600x1036, 207K)

Nobody has the time to explain the universe of computing to you.

Go lookup TTL (transistor transistor logic), how the OSI model works, modulation & demodulation, how parity works, etc

>I don't understand how the internet works.
If you really want to know, do the first half of nand2tetris. You’ll learn more than you ever wanted to, and realise when the magic dies, computers are actually pretty fucking boring.

Attached: Click.jpg (384x384, 20K)

>>How does data travel over the "wire"?
>binary, 0 & 1's.

Ackshually, the binary data gets encoded has high an low voltages on the cable if we're talking about copper.

>blinking light
lmao light can't blink you faggot, don't use words you don't know meanings to

so how does the binary data shit go forward if the electrons go backwards, does both computer send the data backwards

Here's your reply

Attached: images.jpg (285x177, 10K)

Like with a lightbulb, you can turn a lightbulb off and on, it's the exact same mechanism.

It does fuck up, but the hardware can recognize fuckups, there is a lot of mathematics called coding theory, which makes it possible to recognize that a message you received had an error.

>It simply can't fuck up.
It does. Even internally, it just can deal with these fuckups.

Based and cringepilled

>How does signals work?
Just stop and go to sleep so you can have a big first day in the 1st grade son.

you fags only have a few years left to understand this before the technology becomes obsolete with quantum computers

>says increasingly nervous man for the seventh time

It's all electricity. There's no magic involved, it's just a bunch of electric pulses sent over thin pieces of metal that is in turn interpreted by a machine which is also just a bunch of organized little pulses.

> How does data travel over the "wire"? Electrical impulses?
yes
> How does a computer never fuck up, ever
they do
> How is it so consistent
there's many of them
> But every time I email someone, they always get what I sent them.. Without fail, how? They're always perfect...
your email servers are perfect

Then how does fiber work? How do you get negative light?

Attached: unknown.png (723x518, 432K)

>hurr, light doesn't even have an eye, how will it blink, lmao!
Are you faggots really this autistic? Or are you just pretending? How the fuck does digital signal travel through a fiber cable you fucking armchair physicist?

If I use my flashlight on a fiber, can I crash the router on the other side tho?

Computers do fuck up especially with networking there are just tons of shit they do to work around it like TCP.

If you splash some water on some pipes, can you fuck up the water supply to your house?

I'm not a plumber i has none of the idea.

is TCP like AC and DC?

yes this is commonly known as a DdoS attack

internet is made of cats, hehe

Attached: 00-34-30-1525647184.jpg (600x834, 72K)

It's just light or no light.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model

>Electrical impulses?

Exactly that.

It does fuck up all the time.

>How is it so consistent?

It really isn't. It fucks up and fixes the fuck ups so fast that you normally don't notice. When you do notice you are like, "Why is the internet so fucking slow?"

>Without fail,

I've been emailed by people on many occasions where it didn't get to me or took over 24 hours to get to me for whatever reason. It doesn't happen as much these days.

It's called "checksums in combination witg dumb luck"
When your computer wants to send some data, it gets padded with a lot of checksums.
Using those checksums, it's possible to detect IF something went wrong during transmission and, possibly, WHERE that went wrong.
However this only works up to some limit. Past something like 5 flipped bits in 32, the target no longer knows if something went wrong or where exactly it went wrong.
At that point we just accept the possible error and hope the engineer designing protocols that communicate this way know what they're doing and includes some other checksum.
Of course that checksum can be 'tricked' as well with enough, precisely placed flipped bits