When does Gentoo git gud? 'Cause I finally installed it, and I gotta say, so far I'm not impressed

When does Gentoo git gud? 'Cause I finally installed it, and I gotta say, so far I'm not impressed.

In principle, I do appreciate that the package manager builds everything from source with configurable build options -- it's lovely for machine-specific needs, resource minimalism, learning more about Linux, muh freedums, etc -- but it's SO fucking slow. So far I've spent about ten to twenty times as much time compiling software I didn't write as I've spent using my machine for its eventual intended purpose. I'm sure it doesn't help that my machine is a toaster -- single-core 32-bit Intel Atom, 2GB RAM -- but that's not really anything that can BE helped either.

What's worse, you never know when some software you need will need a driver you don't have. I've had to rebuild the kernel three times now. It takes four hours each time. God help me if I ever find myself needing software that needs USE flags I've globally disabled. I don't even want to think about how long it will take to get that working. Considering I'd imagine I'd have to rebuild all existing software with those flags not disabled as well.

Should I just go back to Debian? I don't fucking have time for this. I just want to use my computer. I don't need it to "just werk" or anything, but whatever doesn't work, I expect to able to fix it at the command line in like one or two hours at most. Maybe three or four, if something was so horribly broken that I'm reinstalling everything from scratch. But not fucking thirty-six.

Attached: gentoo-g.png (180x180, 16K)

>inb4 Jow Forums invades this thread too
If anyone's gonna tell me to stop using Linux and install BSD, fuck off, don't waste your breath. I swear if "install BSD" becomes the next big Jow Forums meme I will shit a brick.

install BSD

do u know how mad ur going?

Probably not, considering I don't even know what that's supposed to mean.

Get a threadripper and 32 GB RAM

I have $0.06 in my bank account and no job.
I refuse to get a job until I graduate college because I'm worried about my grades.
Here's my situation:
>got into decent university off financial aid granted on basis of academic excellence in high school
>need to sustain that excellence or else the financial aid will disappear
>university isn't anything too fancy, but is a big enough name that if I got any job I could find right now with no credentials and it cut into my grades, that job wouldn't pay enough to make up for the loss of financial aid and I'd have to drop out of school

>gentoo
>slower than debian
You're doing something wrong senpai. Compiling your most used applications with O3, LTO and essential USE flags only makes a very noticeable difference.
I use Gentoo on a T43p, which uses a fucking Pentium D and it's by far the fastest OS I've ever used on that mahchine.
Don't know what software needs a driver you didn't build into the kernel? Sucks, but you had to know beforehand. Gentoo is for this kind of people.
If you want everything included in the kernel and you don't want to tweak everything, you can just go back to something else.
>God help me if I ever find myself needing software that needs USE flags I've globally disabled.
Just enable them temporarily via USE=... emerge ... or better yet, use package.use. Did you at least read the documentation and learned to use the package manager properly before complaining?

Don't they loan you hardware too?

He doesn't mean using the machine, he means troubleshooting issues is 5x or more longer due to compile time annoyances.

Nope. Not unless you're learning disabled or a graduate student. And even then, only hardware applicable to that purpose.

I did compile with essential use flags only. I know this because I went through the entire list of use flags, turned off every single flag I couldn't imagine ever needing, and only added X, acpi, alsa, sound, and wifi.

I don't even always know what software I'm going to need, much less what drivers the software I need will need. I always know what software I'm going to need for any given task, but I don't always know what tasks I'm going to need to perform.

I don't need everything included in the kernel, I would just like to not have to spend four hours rebuilding the kernel every time I need something that wasn't included in the kernel. Which I guess means I do need everything included in the kernel, since there doesn't seem to be an in-between.

I did read the package manager documentation and am well aware I can set package-specific use flags. However, my expressed concern about having to rebuild all other software on the system does still stand.

you have my permission to go back to debian

know your hardware. just there's a lot of tooltips for each kernel option, if you may use a driver then compile it as a module. you can also use distcc to build your kernel if necessary. gentoo is not good for smaller systems because of compile time, try void or alpine linux instead.

>gentoo
>on single core atom
Don't. You don't need newest threadripper, but don't fucking use it on the weakest x86 cpu in existence, that's just stupid.
Posted from gentoo on A4-3300M.

I got tired of using Gentoo on my i7 X220 Thinkpad (the highest tier CPU available for it, I think). I ended up using Void for a while and then switched to plain Debian. Your machine is even more potato, those Atom CPUs are AWFUL. I had an Asus eeePC for a while and doing anything with took ages.
Just install Debian my man. If muh bloat really annoys your autism that much, you can disable apt's suggested/recommended packages so they don't install automatically

Honestly I'm not sure why people use gentoo on weaker machines. Just stick with a binary based distro and you'll be good to go.

>I'm sure it doesn't help that my machine is a toaster -- single-core 32-bit Intel Atom, 2GB RAM
Invest a grand for a new computer. It doesn't matter if you install linux or windows or some other shit, that pc is old as fuck.

Just binhost my man

Fucked thing is portage is slow too. Not the compiling I mean, but every time it checks for dependencies and such when upgrading or installing anything, it takes way too long.

>4 hours for a kernel
Building a fairly minimal kernel takes less than 10 minutes on my laptop, if your kernel takes that long there aren't any drivers you could be missing. And to further disprove your shit, you don't have to make mrproper every time you change the kernel config. If you enable one additional module and recompile without cleaning, it'll usually take a few seconds.

>kernel
Wait till you try to compile a web browser.

really?? how much time???

A full day or more. Most people install the binary.

Not him/her you replied to, but compilation of chromium from ***source*** took more than 24 hours for me on a Core 2 Duo. Install the binary packages for these big ass stuff anyway

>Building a fairly minimal kernel takes less than 10 minutes on my laptop
>on my laptop
Apparently you didn't read the OP

>single-core 32-bit Intel Atom, 2GB RAM
yeah you're a fucking retard
use dist-cc or stop trying to use a source based distro on a toaster

>single core Atom
Still shouldn't take 4 bloody hours. And the second part still stands.

fuck. i thought it was an hour at most. fuck no im not moving from debian for the time being lmao.
24 hours is just crazy.
any idea why it takes so much time?

Web browsers are the most overengineered bloated piece of software on any given computer.

On my quad core laptop it took I think 6 hours? Around 4 for libreoffice. Those are really the only two that take a significant amount of time though, and it's not like you can't do other stuff while waiting for them to finish either.

24 hours on your toaster senpai. Web browsers are bloated as fuck.

atoms are bentium M performance at best.
you're just as much of a retard if you're not using dist CC on that shitbox, but you're probably larping as an ebin hagger anyway

>I've had to rebuild the kernel three times now. It takes four hours each time.
Do you use genkernel? Turn off the "make clean" option to prevent it from having to rebuild everything.

Install BSD

I just installed gentoo on my t430
the biggest reason is because it will force me to learn as much as possible.

Gentoo is for people without a job

>Those are really the only two that take a significant amount of time though
GHC, GCC, Clang, LLVM and many other compilers or virtual machines, Tensorflow and many other big libraries, any web browser or office suite (LaTex too) ecc...
If you use Cuda you even need to compile two different versions of GCC.

what are you doing here on 4ch boy?

>implying you don't shitpost from work

>Cause I finally installed it
enjoy switching to something else when linux inevitably goes to shit with new updates after the code of concucked

The worst part of this whole overblown drama is all these fuckin poltards.

Sjws wouldn't have been a problem if you didn't feed it this attention

You are talking to a wall user. I just want political bullshit out of my software.

Attached: 1537134002994.jpg (589x589, 47K)

Perhaps you'd be more comfortable with you dragon dildo on reddit?

Either use Void or OpenSUSE
If yu do go Debian, use Devuan

OP, keep gentoo, the performance with compile WILL make a difference on that CPU of yours. When compiling, open another tty and browse the web with links or something.

this, just dont use any kernel version >=4.19.*

I'm sorry, i should know better then to reply. I'm just so bored at work

>the performance with compile WILL make a difference on that CPU of yours
Wrong. The main point of compiling your own stuff is customization, not performance gain.

use debian. gentoo is a meme that didn't even matter when computers were slower. the time you spend compiling software is always longer than the combined 0.2 seconds extra it takes every time you start firefox in debian. if you really need custom options at compile time debian can handle that, too. slackware is nice if you find yourself needing a lot of custom builds because making new packages takes an extra minute or so when compiling and gives you way more control than gentoo.

tl;dr - gentoo is a total meme distro. don't use it under any circumstance.