Escaping Web Development

Went to a local open source development meetup the other day in my city. End times are approaching when Gavin, the 31 year old front-end developer with a who majored in speech pathology and worked at Starbucks for the past 6 years and went to a 4 month coding bootcamp can get a job in the industry.

Where can I go to be safe from this shit? I just graduated last year and have been working since then. I feel like my degree is losing value every day. I guess I shouldn't have taken a job in Web Development, but the pay was extremely good for my area. Do I have time to uncuck myself?

Attached: hipster-girl-with-pink-hair-and-beard-1.jpg (634x634, 149K)

Other urls found in this thread:

useronboard.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

specialize and work for yourself. solve a specific problem and make a personal brand around it.

it's cheaper for a company to hire a freelancer for a one-off / on-call than it is to have a full time employee.

SCUUUUUUUUUMGAAAAAAAAAAANG

>Where can I go to be safe from this shit?
I've been webdev for 10 years, i literally don't know another webdev irl because I freelance and work alone

Do whatever you want.

NIGGAS IFFY UH

Since you know front end, look at back end jobs. Specifically taking old server source code and re writing it/cleaning it up. Its hard work, but very specialized and youll probably get away from (((them)))

Sounds like you should have just gone to a coding bootcamp user

Attached: 1A941DD4-2232-4D99-B3FE-DA9150C2FABC.png (222x211, 4K)

this subtle iphone shilling needs to stop

Immaturity personified

That's our media.

I don't understand this freelancing silver bullet. How do you build a market that is as far away from third world Wordpress developers as possible?

persistence, thick skin, put your face to your content. how hard do you want freedom?

not sure what you mean though be more specific.

What are you selling that is specialized enough that you aren't competing for pennies with developers from Ukraine or Pakistan? Freelancing is a race to the bottom in globalized markets.

Maybe, but these people are working for at least 15-20k less than I am from what I've heard. This is going to get pretty bad soon.

copywriter, email marketer, social media marketer, customer retention, landing page optimization, SEO, video content creator, business photographer, graphic design (marketing materials), etc.

basically anything once you demonstrate authority. ideally you don't work on shit like upwork, that's for turdworld. real companies don't want to use upwork people. or they stop after they get burned a few times. you just need to make a brand around it.

here's an example
useronboard.com/

this guy made a bunch of free content, going through top 500 websites sign-up process. critiquing what they're doing right and wrong. making a pretty presentation going through it. showing them how a user would interact with it and where the faults are.

he made a name for himself creating that type of free content and now he's probably making tens of thousands of dollars every month since it gained popularity and he's become an expert in "user onboarding". now companies reach out to him and ask them to improve their crap.

Kind of but not really.
The reality is that most people are fucking trash at writing code, and the even bigger reality is that people who are from poor countries are even worse.

Everyone thinks they are the best, their code is good etc etc. But from what I've personally seen..Everyone fucking sucks. Only people with senior experience are halfway decent, everyone else is fucking trash.

If you write good code, make good things, then advertise yourself to people that want that, you'll do fine. Otherwise you're competing with stackoverflow copy-paster Ranjeet and his spaghetti code.

BLICKY GOT THE STIFFY UH

M-McAfee, is that you?

Genuinely curious about doing this myself, if you don't mind me asking, what's the work and income like?

>Otherwise you're competing with stackoverflow copy-paster Ranjeet and his spaghetti code.
Sir I have to respectfully disagree with you on this point. It is not called spaghetti code, we pajeet take pride in our function currying.

No it's his retarded SJW nephew McFagee

way ahead of you bro, I saw the writing on the wall when this nodejs npm handlebars basedboy shit started appearing, I have little interest to argue with poofs every day about the write way to write code

you need to ally up with other non fruit loops, start a company where you refuse to hire fruitloops or be freelance/self employed

find a redpilled gaming company or somewhere in texas, traditional gamers are normal

>No it's his retarded SJW nephew McFagee
lmao