OpenIndiana

I see you're all looking for an alternative platform to Linux now. Well, why not try out OpenIndiana? Solaris was open sourced briefly, between 2008 and 2009, and supported until about 2012. The system is based on the illumos kernel, which is based on the Solaris kernel, which is based on Unix System V R4. OpenIndiana also adds a userland made of Solaris and GNU core utilities, and other GNU software. It comes with a nicely themed MATE desktop out of the box and a fairly recent port of Firefox.

You guys should check it out. Most of the work on the system is already done for us. We could make it as good as Linux by porting device drivers and applications to it.

openindiana.org/
wiki.illumos.org/display/illumos/illumos Home
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenIndiana
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illumos

Attached: openindiana.png (1280x1024, 854K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.openindiana.org/oi/3. Installing software and package management
openindiana.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

bump

bump again

bump

Does it have a package manager?

Yes, it does. It uses the Image Packaging System, the same as Solaris 11. You can use the "pkg" command to manage packages, similarly to something like apt or dnf. See the docs below.

wiki.openindiana.org/oi/3. Installing software and package management

Another project to look at is Dyson, which is basically a debian with illumos core.

I have bad news for you.

Just use solaris.

Attached: blacked_and_CoCblocked.jpg (1066x881, 145K)

>hipsters
Also not a fan of the mate desktop
package it with xfce and Waterfox and then you have a real os

Oh sweet jesus. Is there a single OS maintained by guys who have a pair?

dropped

sounds like it's using a kernel from the early 2000s, why should i give it a try or am i wrong?

dropped

The kernel is being actively developed. It branched off from Solaris when the OpenSolaris project was discontinued. So illumos is an independent fork basically.

dropped

haiku - it's small
reactOS - lol
openBDS - eh, it's BSD
those amiga furries? - furries
plan9 - everything fell off
ecommstation - for those who still have OS/2 soft they need to use
actual oracle solaris - it's fucking ORACLE

well, fuck, I guess, it's FreeDOS time.

Just fuck my shit up.

Solaris on x86 is shit, that's why.
I'd rather migrate to NetBSD.
Still cultivating a tiny bit of hope that HPE releases HP-UX code when it goes EOL in 2025.

>Just use solaris.
Doesn't Solaris cost a lot? I know OpenSolaris is old but I'd go there before giving Oracle gibs.

Attached: IMG_20180918_184341.jpg (3264x2448, 2.03M)

>Still cultivating a tiny bit of hope that HPE releases HP-UX code when it goes EOL in 2025.
Why? I've never used it but isn't it just Unix with CDE? And doesn't it only run on PA-RISC and Itanium?

Attached: 1536525807549.png (817x656, 127K)

I think I should go back to XP and find an alternartive to internet.

>openindiana.org/
WTF is this crap?

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-09-18 21-09-39.png (729x692, 351K)

IIRC it's free, but you don't get updates and support. Aimed at developing, prototyping, testing and demonstrations. You want support, you buy it.

Attached: 1537269120352.png (729x692, 309K)

Fucking /b/tards.