After being a casual Linux user for almost 15 years, I decided to give Windows 10 a try...

After being a casual Linux user for almost 15 years, I decided to give Windows 10 a try, as I wanted to see why people were talking about it all the time. So I went to the Microsoft website and downloaded an unsigned ISO, which I had problems making "bootable" on my USB stick, but after a while I managed to make it work. During the install I had to reboot several times and when it finally finished, it asked me to create a new Microsoft account, which I didn't want to. Then I found a small and hidden text-button to skip this, but still had to uncheck a ton of what I considered spyware options and it made me feel a bit uneasy while continuing using the OS. After another reboot, I was finally able to use Windows. The first thing I noticed were desktop notifications asking me to sign in into my account several times and in the start menu there were lots of ads and games like minecraft which I couldn't remove, as they were always re-appearing. That's why I decided to delete the files from the drive and was surprised to also find ads in the OS's file browser which also had many redudancies. Since I was unable to delete the files, I decided to download Firefox instead. Unfortunately, the download was interrupted by the OS, telling me that Edge was the superior browser. At this time, the first system upgrade interrupted me and forced me to reboot. The update took almost 15 minutes, even though I was using a really fast computer. After it was finally done, I tried installing other programs and I had to go to dubious websites to download installers, which looked really shady to me. That was when I noticed that I had downloaded the wrong files and caught a virus. I was locked out of my system and decided to go back to Linux where I can use a package manager with sane system updates and software installations and where the OS doesn't spy on me and where I don't have ads embedded everywhere. When did proprietary software become so bad?

Attached: no-windows.png (992x624, 31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

html5test.com/results/desktop.html
kangax.github.io/compat-table/es2016plus/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

With windows, it's either the user edition filled with ads and spyware or the server edition which has a long boot time but doesn't have nearly as much crapware. Would recommend you stay on Linux until you actually see the results of this coc thing which will probably end in nothing just like Microsoft and GitHub

10/10 story just don't tell people it's true next time

Not to be the devil's advocate (I use 7 and Linux) but:
> I had problems making "bootable" on my USB stick
weird. It has always worked the first time for me.
>desktop notifications asking me to sign in into my account several times
right click on the notification, "disable notifications about..."
>in the start menu there were lots of ads and games like minecraft which I couldn't remove, as they were always re-appearing.
you have to let both the system and the store fully update and install all that shit, then you can remove it without it re-apprearing. It re-appears because it's updating while you remove it.
>also find ads in the OS's file browser
you can remove all ads (lockscreen, explorer, start menu) in the customization menu.
>the download was interrupted by the OS
now you're full of shit. It just displays a message, and after you download.
>I tried installing other programs and I had to go to dubious websites to download installers, which looked really shady to me. That was when I noticed that I had downloaded the wrong files and caught a virus.
full of shit times 2. First of all that's your own fault, and Win10 has a lot of features meant to prevent this (smartscreen, the ms store, the "install from the MS store instead" message, Windows defender, etc)
>When did proprietary software become so bad?
Windows 10 sucks for many reasons but it's far from "bad". I'll take Windows bullshit any day before an unstable system with a retarded GUI, and 99% of linux distros are just that. I insist, I use and love Linux, but with a very few exceptions (Mint, Manjaro Xfce, maybe elementaryOS) Linux distros are an unforgivable mess.

>I'll take Windows bullshit any day before an unstable system with a retarded GUI, and 99% of linux distros are just that. I insist, I use and love Linux, but with a very few exceptions (Mint, Manjaro Xfce, maybe elementaryOS) Linux distros are an unforgivable mess.
Go fuck yourself. Good thing you paid lip service to the idea.

There's literally 0 reasons to use windows in 2018, even if you HAVE TO, you can always fire up a VM.

Attached: 1536842202583.png (962x889, 140K)

woah
nice argument there buddy, how can I ever recover?

playing videogames
producing music

inb4 the classic freetard response
>you dont need to do that

>producing music
macOS and Linux have better tools for that than Win10.

>consoles or Linux+dxvk/wine/proton/lutris/PlayOnLinux
>MacOS or Linux
Arguments killed.

>playing videogames
Stopped reading right there

>replying to pasta
kek newfriends

>how can I ever recover?
You don't have to. You're paying lip service to the idea and you're full of shit. No matter what benefits you cite, no operating system is worth using if it features levels of data mining greater than those Orwell could have imagined. All distros can be a mess if you're using proprietary GPU drivers for some reason and everything except KDE isn't a sane choice at this point.

>video game
>need

Attached: 1535636955116.png (1280x1080, 1.45M)

Gotta be over 18 to post here bud

Since when is writing a new and authentic text considered pasta?

What's up with that image? Netflixand TurboTax (online version) work just fine on Linux. Office 2010/2013 and Ventrilo works perfectly through wine without any workarounds. Adobe products can be hit or miss but Photoshop CS6 works just fine through wine

I felt like having to literally fight my computer about anything that I wanted to do. Windows always had "a better proposal". It always tried to "change my mind" and modifying the system to a degree where I like it was simply impossible.
That made me change to Linux.

cool story op. you can find official download sites for third party programs by searching google.

also i use windows 10 and would switch to linux, except for, muh drivers

Doing the same because my new Canon LBP2900B doesn't work on debian. Its been stuck here for an hour now.

Attached: IMG_20180918_191840.jpg (4160x3120, 3.29M)

What drivers? Post hardware instead of generic reasons

my laptop is a hp omen 17" intel 7700 gtx 1070 which is more information than you need to know. audio drivers. and fan drivers with magical proprietary bullshit. my generic reasons are good enough for me to keep windows and not install linux. if i ever want linux i'll get it pre installed on the laptop.

I guess that's the plight of gaymen laptops marketed for teenagers. My dell XPS 9570 works just fine with loonux.

Wew

Attached: IMG_20180918_194515.jpg (4160x3120, 3.44M)

Ah yes, the trusty metric "Speed Score."

>Office 2010/2013 works perfectly through wine without any workarounds.
Try fucking running a macro

>posting WoT grief show how noob you are instead of asking for help how to debloat and turn off spyshit in W10
Fuck off.

Works on my machine

Attached: Works on my machine.png (200x193, 30K)

>(Mint, Manjaro Xfce, maybe elementaryOS)
shit taste t.b.h sesu denpai

i hate the current state of windows, too, but your experience boils down to a simple "I had trouble setting up and configuring a system I'm not used to."

html5test.com/results/desktop.html
kangax.github.io/compat-table/es2016plus/

Sounds like user error.

How is Minecraft and Candy Crush being preinstalled and not removable a user error?
How is being forced to reboot on mandatory upgrades a user error?
How is being spied on a user error?
How is not having a package manager a user error?
The only user error here is using Window...

Works on my machine

My use case doesn't really depend on macros. I'm not an excel monkey and I don't work in finance so running it through wine is fine for me. I don't even have it installed on my windows partition either. I use libreoffice or Google docs

>How is Minecraft and Candy Crush being preinstalled and not removable a user error?
They are removable, so that is user error. You're just too much of an idiot to figure it out.
>How is being forced to reboot on mandatory upgrades a user error?
You have to reboot on other OS's when you get a big update. Please don't tell me you don't keep your PC updated.
>How is being spied on a user error?
>He thinks he's actually being spied on by Microsoft
Lmao
>How is not having a package manager a user error?
There is a package manager.
>The only user error here is using Window...
Nope, the error lies between the keyboard and the chair. Nice story though, but don't expect anyone to think it's true. How can anyone honestly be this delusional? This is a shit bait thread anyway.

>consoles or Linux+dxvk/wine/proton/lutris/PlayOnLinux
Good luck getting games to even boot.

Proprietary software has ALWAYS been worse than free software, even from a purely technical point of view.
The reason it is used over FOSS is power, money and influence, not technical merits. They also managed to convince everyone that since FOSS is made by NEET neckbeards, it must be bad. Which is ironic, since it's often actually better.

Yeah yeah you can skip all of those options and have a perfectly usable OS straight out of the box. Zero consequences.
Not like Debian where selecting the wrong DE will make the Windows key not pop up the start menu. Bah.

>imagine being this delusional

Can you give me a complete list of popular proprietary software and FOSS alternatives (precompiled binaries are a must) with objective reasons as to why they're superior?
Mind you 'spyware' or 'bloatware' are not technically relevant.

Shit bait in a shit bait thread. Not surprised from a MS shill like you

mac yes
loonix fuck no

t. Low IQ iToddler

see

Look at this assburger retard

nice post. how do i unsubscribe from your blog?

You can use closed source software on Linux retard. Not everyone that uses Linux is RMS level of freetard

Email me as soon as I can use visual studio or photoshop in Linux.

>Shit bait in a shit bait thread. Not surprised from a MS shill like you
Oh really?
>on macOS
>owner of a Linux Discord
>uses Solus, Ubuntu, and Arch Linux
>also has Windows 10 installed on desktop
Try again sweaty

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 11.42.18 AM.jpg (4320x2700, 3.09M)

Figure out how to green text before replying to me pajeet

>Not using ltsb

>he doesn't know how to plain text
>at least I know how to green text too

Not everyone uses Visual Studios or Photoshop so who gives a shit. Photoshop can run fairly well under wine. Visual Studios is only good if you use C# or write windows only cuckware.

Why don't you fucking fags just dual boot

Sorry, but most people don't like to jump through hoops just to use a functioning operating system that stays out of their way and lets them accomplish their work.

So MacOS or enterprise Linux? Windows certainly doesn't fit that description

>install ltsb
>everything just werks

I use ltsb on my work laptop and it's a bug riddled mess with bad performance and it sucks up resources like your mom sucking on dick. I'm about to ask for a MacBook or a machine with Linux.

Works on my machine

Attached: Works on my machine.jpg (1000x1000, 38K)

Damn. Must be something wrong with every person's computer that I was training with. Thanks Mr. Pajeet, I thought it was the OS

I spend two weeks running Xubuntu as a daily driver. Pretty neat, but it got pretty dull really really fast. I felt caged in that environment. There's really NOTHING to do.

>so macOS and Windows?
Yes.

Windows just werks here.
This is why you install Gentoo.

If Windows works on machines that you don't work with, but it doesn't work on machines that you do work with, I wonder what the problem possibly could be.

The inability of Windows to work the same on various hardware and that you have to tune everything to make it usuable?

Works on my machine

Attached: Works on my machine.png (528x528, 12K)

Windows is shit.
QubesOS is Master race.

Typical winpajeet can't understand or read English

Windows 10 is not that bad but you need a lot of work on it

It's more the inability of you to get an operating system that just works to work. I don't know how you do it, and you're probably making it up, but clearly the problem is you and not the OS.

Sorry for not recognizing Linux as a usable OS.

It's on my work computer faggot. I didn't install shit. I don't have time to tweak shit to make it usable unlike you neets

No problem. It's a typical mistake that 15 year olds make

I didn't have to tweak shit on it lmao, it just works. Clearly the issue is you, and now you're intimidated because you lack the computer knowledge us Jow Forumseniuses have so you resort to name calling. I'm sorry you can't figure out how to make a computer work, somehow my 60 year old mom was able to get Windows 10 up and running with no issues whatsoever on her work computer.

Are you trying to imply Linux is a usable OS? On the desktop? Nice joke my man.

>Not everyone
Not an argument for your dysfunctional OS.
>Photoshop
Yeah 10 year old versions.
>cuckware
Not an argument.

Freetards lose again.

This tbqh

Attached: How to tell if someone is not productive.png (1412x1158, 120K)

You MS shills are getting desperate. Consider getting a job so you don't have to shill on Jow Forums for a trash OS

>with a very few exceptions (Mint, Manjaro Xfce, maybe elementaryOS) Linux distros are an unforgivable mess.
But can you have i3 on W10?

Nope. Cs6 and CC works
Not everyone uses VS. If they need it, they are already on windows. Plenty of devs are on macOS or Linux. Maybe grow a couple of brain cells before posting on Jow Forums

You can tell how underage someone is by their use of "tbqh"

>bug riddled mess with bad performance
Literally Arch right there.
>and it sucks up resources
Any linux distro. There is no built-in tool for power control.

>everyone who disagrees with me is a shill
Just stop man. Also I'm a full time college student. Again, I'm sorry you have the inability to use computers. How can someone fuck up Windows to begin with, that's like breaking macOS then saying the OS is the issue.

Are you retarded?

>Nope. Cs6 and CC works
Great but it's almost 2019.
>already on windows
98% market share.

Fantastic, once again Linux proved to be dysfunctional.

Wow he is a full time college student.

You can tell how underage someone is by how many times they call other users underage. Stay insecure about your age bud.

Nice try, dumb freetard. But you are right after all, Windows 10 is nothing but a big piece of shit.

You don't have to be offended by the fact that we can tell that you have the picture of your waifu as a wallpaper. There's nothing to be ashamed of, really. Just kindly fuck off back to /a/.

A college student would definitely shill to make a few bucks. Your inability to see that windows (especially ancient ltbs builds) can be prone to bugs shows how much of a shill you are

No, you?

Wow he doesn't work

I said devs faggot. Not excel monkeys, old people, retards like you, and MS shills

At least Windows wasn't cucked by SJWs

Your previous post clearly shows that you are. Why did your handler let you out of his sight?

>devs
Yes, Xcode and Visual studio are king. Just give up you owned retard.

(You) need to try harder at bait

I have no reason to shill when my main OS's are macOS and Linux. Again, I use macOS, Solus, Ubuntu, Arch Linux, and Windows 10. Again, I apologize for how computer illiterate you are that you can't even figure out Windows.
>everyone who disagrees with me is a shill

>Owned retard

>makes up stuff to defend himself