I am teaching myself python. Is it easy to get a foot in the door being self-taught?

I am teaching myself python. Is it easy to get a foot in the door being self-taught?

pic related, it represents the vastness of python jobs that hopefully exist

Attached: full-hd-space-wallpaper-10.jpg (1920x1080, 722K)

>Is it easy to get a foot in the door being self-taught?
yes if you're good

the python language devbase is bottlenecking itself
they're marketing it as a language so easy to learn that "EVERYONE CAN CODE" in it. i'm giving it a solid year before the $140k/yr jobs they're advertising as a hook for the language will drop to maybe $30k/yr.

how do i get to the coding interview without a degree? Barge into the place and demand a python challenge?

im in school right now, my degree in a hard science field that paradoxically requires programming skills in the job market yet teaches you none of it in the curriculum

how good is good?

high-end pay: $140k+/yr
average pay: $70k/yr
bottom-tier pay: $50k/yr
can't wait for the python meme to end

what sort of skills separates these paygrades?

python is designed to be so easy that you don't need skill, you just need to move to a good location and be diverse enough to get hired.

i would think that the easier the language, the more skilled a person would have to be in order to stand out from the hordes of people that may know python. do you mean diversity of skillset or of gender/race/sexuality

In general its good to know Python. Even if you won't be a developer, you can use it for automation of your daily, boring tasks. Or to mess with ticketing tools, some of them let you make changes using REST API that aren't possible to do from web GUI.

See that's the rub though. Most anything a place will be hiring Python devs for isn't going to be that complex. If it were, they'd probably be using a more specialized language. So python devs just need to be "good enough" which opens the door for diversity hires. Don't get me wrong, I love Python and use it daily but don't kid yourself, being "highly skilled" isn't the differentiator you might think.
Now git gud at assembly or C or find some niche like ML research and things are different.

I like python, it really helped me understand programming logic and its the language im most comfortable with.

would you say C > java/C++? I've heard people say C is useless at my uni (where they teach java and C++)

so there are no python dev jobs?

>bottom-tier pay: $50k/yr
Can't you live comfortably on that salary? I am an 18 y/o neet thats considering going into CS and that pay sounds pretty good to me senpai

yeah but if you're getting a cs job that's bottom of the barrel shit
if you want good money, go into cyber law for grayhat advocacy, those guys make a solid minimum of $400k/yr

C++/Java are better options than C, C isn't really used in the industry

unless you are doing OS dev

Python is one of the easiest to get the foot in the door.

Its got plenty of libraries you can use with a single line "import xyz". If you need to use another 3rd party library thats not in the python download, you can simpy use "pip install xyz" then "import xyz". Almost all other languages have much more complicated procedures for utilizing third party libraries.

The only "problem" with python is its slightly (non-human scale) slower than some of the other older languages (c/c++).

c only if you're going for embedded developing. Aka messing with drivers/linux kernel/etc. If you're doing that, you need ASM language too.

If you're using strictly windows, go C# after Python. If you're going for ENTERPRISE DEVELOPER, go for Java or C++.

$50k/yr is very comfortable for a single person in all but the most expensive cities.

It is a trash salary for a dev, though. I could see it being reasonable for a very entry level position, but once you get in the game, you shouldn't be looking much lower than $75k in most cities.

>cyber law for grayhat advocacy
I haven't heard a bigger meme all week.

cool, I know java basics, haven't learned the data strctures yet though

>python jobs
FUCK

OFF

WE'RE

FULL

Me too OP. What did you think of python so far?

it's been pretty easy for me to grasp, surprisingly.

i'm coming in whether you like it or not

Everyone in this thread is shilling these easy 50k entry level python jobs, where the fuck do you get one? 50k seems absurdly high for "entry level".
>it's been pretty easy for me to grasp, surprisingly.
At what knowledge level did you start out though? Are you working your way up from the beginning or do you already have a bit of programming knowledge?

It is depending on city and skill level.

30-40k is junior aka just starting
50-75k interm (you jump here quick if you aren't autistic)
75-95k most high end jobs for flat programming anything above requires more than just being to write functional code
95k-200k you are really good and specialized or really overpayed
200-500k cream of the crop or management

no prior programming exposure. I downloaded a beginner's text and im about done with it; worked my way through all the problems and exercises at the end of each chapter