Why is it so bad?

Why is it so bad?

Attached: gnome-logo.png (230x230, 7K)

maybe if it was spelled KDE, it wouldn't be.

Have you used it?

>global menu
>hates customization
>constant feature removal
>GTK churn
>strongly single-tasking
>ugly
>a fucking foot

No one's forcing you to use it, stop trolling

Every update fucks up extensions
Extensions are unreliably updated
If you use it extentionless then gnome is nothing more than a massive bullshit.
Gnome is pretty much like going back in time and witnessing mostly the bad things that happened.

try harder kde faggot, gnome its state of the art desktop in the GNU/Linux world
fast, secure, doesn't get in your way

Attached: kdead.jpg (600x422, 53K)

it has a side bar and top bar

where as kde has just a bottom bar

Same reason Linux is bad.
Sperglords in charge of coding.

2 decades of mismanagement

Actually I would want sperglords to be in charge of coding

bad technological foundation
bad architecture
bad assumptions about desktop usage

I don't. Them and trannies are merely different sides on the same coin.
Actual good software comes from very few, very talented people that aren't raging autismos full of dogmata about software development.

Use toolkit from half baked image editor

Wut?
Every system has some kind of global menu, and Gnome is also the most customizeable Desktop of all. There is literally nothing wrong with GTK and what is ugly about a fucking black menu-bar at the top ... At least it's not cluttered with a giantic useless seachbox.
The only critique I accept is that the shell's animations lag sometimes.

It's a fucking foot

Attached: Konqi_kde_gnome.png (3125x4420, 865K)

Imagine half your DESKTOP being written in fucking javascript
absolute fucking cancer and it can't die soon enough

>Every update fucks up extensions
Not even remotely true.

>Why is it so bad?
Because its modern, easy to use, and accessible which makes normies more likely to use GNU/Linux which breaks muh sekrit club which/g/ loves oh so much

>There is literally nothing wrong with GTK
GTK2 wasn't broken and there was and is no reason to fuck everyone's themes by releasing the monumentally pointless change-for-changes-sake GTK3. Oh, and now they're working on GTK4, which I'm sure will break everything again for no good reason at all, other than that they don't give a shit and think that ugly failed abortion called Adwaita is the only 'theme' that matters.

because they need a new CoC and they're propping up meritocracy

but its not bad

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-09-18 20-47-58.png (1440x900, 744K)

>Gnome is also the most customizeable Desktop of all
Even windows explorer has more customization than Gnome shell. Have you used version 3 for more than a minute?

>easy to use, and accessible
But it isn't. It's partially designed for touch screens even though nobody uses them. The global menu with giant icons for example makes absolutely no sense on a desktop/laptop

Attached: 2018-03-23 19_40_23-Best Desktop Environment _ Linux Journal.png (637x932, 83K)

A DE in electron would unironically be better than GNOME shit.

it's not. it just takes quite a few resources and performs slow at times. every desktop environment is excellent

>they just give you hsv2 and penicillin resistant gonorrhea, but all cunts are excellent.

>But it isn't
For normies it is have you seen the abomination that is mac osx that's what they consider well designed

>gnome wayland is the fastest on intel gpu

Attached: gunomu666.png (493x498, 34K)

>a fucking foot

tell that to windows start menu

GNOME is the best Linux DE, the standar Linux DE

I don't think it's bad. The only legit issues I have are the GTK file picker and Nautilus being slower than PcmanFM or similar file manager programs.

>It's partially designed for touch screens
How much time did you spend using GNOME? It's literally tailored to be used with just a keyboard. There are hotkeys for everything.

>Every update fucks up extensions
the only extensions that would break would be the ones doing a lot of gnome-shell monkey patching of code not intended to be monkeypatched.

This most extensions are updated by just changing the minimum required version in the extension version json

/thread

I don't like how they remove customization options.
No DE is perfect, I choose my DE based on its positive points and then customize it to remove/lessen the negative points.
I can't do that in GNOME.

Does it bother you that people work on GTK or are you just butthurt that your themes break from time to time? Making a theme is a monumental effort (for one guy that also works on 4 other themes for some reason) and keeping it up to date is really a time-jerker. GTK is gonna get some pretty cool features in the future (like constraint-based layouts and vulkan rendering)

I actually love gnome, but I'd never use it as my primary DE.

For shit like bootable USBs and giving it to linux noobies it's GOAT.
But tiling for autistic use.

>not gnelf
>not gnoblin
fucking garbage

It needs a CoC to be even more fucked than it already is

90% of extension developers have stopped already

there is no good DE. Gnome without extensions is just useless. KDE is ugly.

>there is no good DE
Ahem, one word: XFCE

Attached: autumnal.jpg (1920x1080, 1.04M)

last update was like 3 years ago. its slowly dying

I am a long time XFCE user. A month ago I built a machine with Gnome 3.
It's fine.

I found rediscovered xfce thanks to mate porting to gtk3. I'm happy now :^)

It doesn't need anything else

There's no blur behind transparent stuff
If there was, I would use it even if it ran like shit, because it's pretty.

>Gnome is also the most customizeable Desktop of all
Just no.
The amount of customization in KDE is so much greater, of course I don't count "editing the source code" as customization.

>there is no good DE
true
don't even use a DE bloat
install openbox

i thought kde plasma is always the same except for colors

twm

And it still works like a charm :^)

No?
It really has an enormous amount of customization.

Which goes from simple things such Window borders, colors desktop theme and such to widgets on your desktop. The bar at the bottom is entirely customizable, you can put in controls for almost everything and there are even multiple alternatives for the launcher at the bottom.
Almost everything you would want to control you can and there even is a "store"(not that you pay anything) where you can download widgets (want a button to turn redshift on or off?) or themes from other users.

The amount of customization is really enormous and KDEs greatest strength. It also got an Android integration where you can get notifications or remote control your PC via your smartphone.

Because it has no qualities.
There are no areas where it is anything but mediocre or really bad.
Customization is pure garbage (hey gnome fags I got a widget on my desktop show the notifications from my smartphone).

And? It's a finished working product with everything that it needs. What's fucking wrong with modern culture that it's centered with entitled archfags that need every program on their computer updated daily or they'll drop it, because it's "old" and "dead".
And especially fuck the developers who don't know where to stop and start changing and breaking things because they reached their goals and can't move on.

>What are gnome shell extensions

Irrelevant really, compared to the amount of customization offered by KDE.

A
FUCKING
FOOT

>KDE doesn't even have dynamic panel transparency

>Why is it so bad?
Because they got infected by smartphone disease.

Put it has android phone integration and customization of bars, window borders and everything you could reasonably want...

And gnome has each of those things too

It isn't.

Who keeps their dock open like that? Learn to hot key faggot

>Who keeps their dock open like that?
Ubuntards.

Okay I don't use Gnome, but can yo, without coding anything yourself.
Get a bar to the left showing in this order, from top to bottom:
A launcher
4 menu to switch between 4 desktops
A taskmanager where the icons if your windows are shown and hovering causes the window to fade in
A button to turn redshift on and off
Buttons to control volume and music but nothing more.
On your desktop:
A graph of ram and CPU usage and a widget to see the notifications for your phone and a folder.

enjoy your ancient Deb(il)ian with 4.9 kernel and 3 year old packages

Attached: arch.png (1271x565, 550K)

I use Ubuntu and I have mine hidden

Almost entirely yes. I'm unsure on 'hovering causes the window to fade in' but I'm p sure dash to panel at least has a windows-like hover shows a popup preview and I dunno about a widget to see phone notifications on the desktop but kde-connect (or whatever it's called) has been ported to gnome.

The point rather isn't that there's a 100% feature parity between the two, it's that they both have plenty of customisation, each through diffferent means that will suit different people, and that they each also have their own shortcomings.

t.ADD zoomer who need to update and rice his OS for hours every day instead of doing anything productive with his life.

From my experience using gnome it felt really lacking. The menu was unable to provide anything but the most basic customization and the extensions were obviously tailored to the needs of the creator and we're often quite specific.

>The point rather isn't that there's a 100% feature parity between the two
Yeah I know, but even getting rid of the bar at the bottom felt like a non trivial task.

Does anyone know a good OSX theme for gnome?

A
FUCKING
FOOT

Apple make a good one, it's called buy a mac.

>hurr plot 3D

unless you're running on a 32 bit netbook and have more than 512mb of ram nobody cares about the 'performance' as if anyone would use either if they wanted peak speed.

gnome fucking sucks. its ugly, crappy, and is heavy for a DE that does barely better than explorer.exe

You just gotta know what extensions you need. The extensions web page needs a big overhaul, the settings application and gnome tweaks need merging, and gnome software needs a dedicated section for extensions with sub categories. Extension bundles would help too.

That bring said, I feel the inverse, I'm now so familiar with gnome I can have my setup configured in about 10 minutes, but trying to navigate the depth of menus in kde is daunting. I do quite like KDE though, just prefer GTK apps so I run gnome.

They're all tacky and shitty.