This is a very impressive piece of software

this is a very impressive piece of software.

Attached: Unreal-engine-4-logo.jpg (1280x720, 87K)

Other urls found in this thread:

epicgames.com/unrealtournament/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

impressively shit

your favourite game (fortnite) was made with it

shittiest engine with the shittiest possible performance with the shittiest optimization ever.

-t. unity dev

I hear this a lot about UE4. What exactly makes its performance and optimization shit?

yes

>destroys your GPU in the menu
honestly UE IS FUCKING TRASH ! absolute gargabe, in the menus the GPU GOES to 80% even if the MENU is a static piece of shit

>shittiest possible performance
Say what you will about fortnite, if there's one thing where that game shines is in how optimized it is.

Hard engine to master + incompetent devs = atrocious optimization

>2 weeks code bootcamp
>reee why cant I get shit done

Attached: 1537111587419.png (480x480, 215K)

Unity is probably worse desu

Fuck off nigger, lumberyard is way harder than this piece of shit software and their renderer is OPTIMIZED AS FUCK NIGGA.

unity's way worse

you wouldn't know the first thing about renderers or how "optimized" they are

except it isn't, it's just a cartoony little shit of a game, cod blackout (ugh) has a realistic style and runs miles better than this shit and pubg, actually just compare pubg and the new cod battle royale and you will see how shit this engine is.

Godot matter rice checking in

remember when we had good engines such as idtech3 *sips*

i'm literally a contributor to google's filament renderer you fucking sperg.

Nobody needs anything more than the idtech1 and Build engines. I mean, talk about tightly wound clocks of optimization

did you contribute the coc?

what is that, an open source project? who cares? nobody who knows anything about anything talks about how "optimized" a renderer is, that's /v/-tier lack of understanding

>what is that, an open source project? who cares?
google

the thousands of third world poorfags running fortnite at 40+ fps on their 2010 toasters would like to disagree with you

What are some other amazing engines? Men of war and Arma 3 come to mind

>the thousands of third world poorfags running fortnite at 40+ fps on their 2010 toasters would like to disagree with you

show me what mid end hardware from 2010 runs fortnite in full hd at 40+fps

A phone RTS with physics based in build would be cool.

if you take advantage of modern technology properly you can make something that runs better than those

>full hd
I wasn't talking about full hd, I was talking at medium settings. Besides optimization isn't just graphics it's networking too. Fortnite has some top tier bandwidth optimization.

dmc4 engine

Cod blackout struggles to hit 60 frames at 1440 on my rig. Not sure what you're talking about. Sure it doesn't have 2 seconds of input lag like pubg but it doesn't run well.

Possible, but complicated. Personally, I would prefer to do it in idtech. That said, slopes in build are a big nice to have for an RTS. I'm looking forward to the fork of Build that the Ion Maiden team is working in. I'm curious to see what changes they've made.

That's true. I think it would be a fun project, but I'm not so sure I could do much better. My C isn't as good as it would need to be. Plus, I really like the Doom ecosystem. Yeah, it's legacy, but there's something comfy about all of the people working and producing in it. I feel like the Doom creator community is the internet's best kept secret.

What is the most optimized game anyway?
My money is on Source Engine and whatever Overwatch uses. Those games (OW, CS, TF2) can easily hit 200+ fps on good rigs

Doom mods run on source ports, they aren't using original Doom code

I'm not an engine developer, so I don't speak from a place of pure understanding on this, but I'm reasonably sure that it still counts as Doom, even if some things have been rewritten to function on modern machines.

they're complete rewrites with new scripting languages tacked on that you use to build mods

Source is actually full of pitfalls. It runs really well now because it's basically ancient technology. Try alt tabbing a bunch, see how stable it is.

I wouldn't know, it's closed source

Interesting. I'll have to do more reading. I wish there were better resources on modern Doom. Abrash's black book is a fun read, but woefully obsolete.

you wouldn't anyway

it's written by retarded gorillas, it has some of the foulest source code and APIs known to man, and some of the stupidest bugs.

glad it exists though because there's a paucity of engines with "modern" renderers that are actually fleshed out with tooling. ue4's tools are shit but at least they exist.

Yeah I'm spoiled by z axis RTS like men of war, ta spring etc. Actually a Google showed a rudimentary doom RTS setup.
Can doom theoretically support 1000 connections like SAMP or planetside

Guy above is right, source chokes in alt tab

fortnite runs suprisingly poorly for what it is. just because you're getting more than a hundred FPS on your gtx 1080 and your i7 doesn't mean it's actually fast by any objective measurement.

there are plenty of papers available about modern rendering although I dont think they'll be that interesting to read if you aren't a programmer

wrong

listen here you little shit

Attached: watcat.jpg (464x311, 35K)

I was excited to see unreals ability to run in browser
Did that go anywhere
Good for making games office drones and kiddies can play, even Roblox needs installation

>mfw unreal tournament 5 never
>epic too busy making trillions of shekels off fortnite

Attached: 51CB4D3C-5A0A-49ED-9064-E779F70F4F1A.png (598x480, 79K)

I'm becoming more of a programmer every day. On a hobby level, of course. I got into it because of my love for old games, specifically Doom and the creative ethos behind it. I'm not enough of a nerd to read modern graphics papers.

Yet.

UT99 and [spoiler]unreal 2[/spoiler] are the only good offerings

probably something like rollercoaster tycoon or a NES game or the original spacewar

it's sad because they could easily afford to hire a bunch of talented UT fans and get it done fast

is there a comparison? optimized how? what kind of benchmark are you basing that opinion on? as far as I know all modern engines work 99% the same way and have almost no difference between each other

that's not true, UE has a lot of overhead outside of the renderer, just like unity (before some kneejerk cunt knee-jerks at me)

What kind of overhead? Not saying you're wrong I didn't even know what lumberyard was before you mentioned it. I know almost nothing about game engines but I'm curious. Is this overhead you're talking about the reason unreal isn't more used by actual AAA studios and only indies choose it?

>as far as I know all modern engines work 99% the same way and have almost no difference between each other
pretty much
you can be optimized for a specific workload or target platform, but at a general level all renderers are doing the same thing

Unreal is the most profilic third party game engine of all time, period. AAA developers use it everywhere. Overhead outside the renderer doesn't really effect the rendering process, because it's done in parallel mostly on the GPU

>What kind of overhead?
blueprint, garbage collection, the overhead of having to use Cast all the bloody time because that's just what you do, many other things i don't even know about which suck millions of CPU cycles and thrash memory every frame. it's a very complex framework with a lot of layers of busywork between your code and the computer. by any objective metric it's a slow and bloated engine (and it isn't alone in being so), running "acceptably" on a beastly machine doesn't change that.

people get upset at the mere suggestion that ue4 isn't the best piece of software ever written because they've invested months into learning how to use it. but so have i, i don't care, i can rant all day about its downsides. the one caveat is that we don't have many alternatives. you just have to put up with it.

>Is this overhead you're talking about the reason unreal isn't more used by actual AAA studios
it is quite popular among them, just not as popular as ue3 was

>Overhead outside the renderer doesn't really effect the rendering process
well yes it does, because you can't render what isn't ready to be rendered.

Attached: ue4.png (178x25, 1K)

Apologize

Attached: unity_ecs.jpg (883x494, 353K)

why is it so shit to Fox engine then?

They're literally making a new UT, faggot. You can download and play the alpha build right now if you want.

epicgames.com/unrealtournament/

Fox Engine isn't related to UE is it?

Graphically wise yes, but in terms of actually programming to it, there are some quite horrid things.
Trying to make anything with precision with the physics of this engine is a exercise in madness, given it uses that shitty havok.

that was indefinitely postponed in favour of fortnite, faggot

it's dead, it's been dead for years and it advanced at a snail's pace when it was alive

>well yes it does, because you can't render what isn't ready to be rendered.
most UE games I've benchmarked bottlenecked at the GPU and not at the CPU. Everything you mentioned, from casting (which should barely take no more than a CPU cycle or two) should be bottlenecking, well, the CPU
But in all UE4 games I've seen, the CPU frame time is always less than the GPU. So you can't say those things are interfering with the renderer
Besides in UE4 the rendering isn't even done in the game thread.

Fucking lazy niggers using stock settings and even post processing stacks complaining about mainstream engines are the worst
Watching a shitty beginners youtube series doesn't really qualify you to talk about whether or not an engine is "optimized", you niggers probably don't even know what a pixel shader or a projection matrix are

There is no such thing as an "optimized engine", you can make a garbage game with any engine and the other way around, whether it's source or unity
If a game runs like shit it's the developers fault (if they are making their own engine or using a premade one)

You'll have no trouble linking an article where they stated that it was put on ice then. Go on. Do it.

>I've benchmarked bottlenecked at the GPU and not at the CPU.
you probably have a very good CPU

>casting (which should barely take no more than a CPU cycle or two)
i'm talking about Cast() which was benchmarked on the forums to be really slow
>Cast+call: 87 - 92 ms (i.e. ~0.0089 ms per single cast-and-call)
that's a lot more than a cycle. granted that is using Cast on interfaces, but it's relevant because Cast appears everywhere. not the biggest source of overhead, but overhead is cumulative.

>Besides in UE4 the rendering isn't even done in the game thread.
synchronization has to happen somewhere

>If a game runs like shit it's the developers fault (if they are making their own engine or using a premade one)
would you say that if they were using an engine that scaled with O(n!) where n is the number of actors in existence?