Hacker lairs

Ever wanted to renovate your living space to look like one of those hacking dungeons that you see in cyberpunk films? I've always liked the cyberpunk look and feel - the cluttered, dimly lit room with twenty computers, green-screen terminals, blinking lights, networking equipment stacked to the ceiling - like Neo's apartment at the beginning of The Matrix, or Hackerman's room in Kung Fury. I'm willing to invest hundreds of dollars into achieving this look.

ITT:
- We discuss our ideas and aspirations for the ultimate hacker lair.
- We show off pictures of our hacker lairs if we already have one.

Attached: hacker_s_workspace_by_eriklyart-d7lazne.jpg (1000x749, 572K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CiBI0yrtHUo
youtube.com/watch?v=aMli33ornEU
youtube.com/watch?v=PbIj2YXF_Uc
youtube.com/watch?v=eYVymsEiSh0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>We discuss our ideas and aspirations for the ultimate hacker lair.
lots of monitors
my current monitor count: 3
several server racks against the wall
huge external coolant system a la the shit from lain
its beautiful

Attached: lain room.jpg (1920x1080, 1.24M)

the sad thing is all the processing power lain needed cooling for could probably be done on any random integrated gpu today...

heh yeah. but that just means all that cooling could go towards even more powerful stuff. like jeez imagine the sound of those pipes pumping away while you sleep. fucking COMFY

Not to LARP as a hacker or anything, but I wouldn't mind a hidden door that goes into my office. I just need a 2 bedrooms, or a place with a very large windowed closet to make that a reality.

Just checked out that show on YouTube. Plot looks interesting.

It's not. It's a try heard pseudo-intellectual sci-fi philosophy show that a bunch of weebs have turned into a couple of shitty imageboards. They post more about their feelings and teenage angst thoughts about a world they've barely experienced, than any thoughts of any merit and spending most of their time larping as Cyberpunks because the show falls into that genre.

Well, the first episode was somewhat intriguing with the story of a girl who committed suicide contacting the protagonist from beyond the grave. I'm not used to seeing cyberpunk combined with the supernatural.

at 28 i do find the spirit of the lain fanbase to be dull and lacking depth. i've met a few cool people though. and systemspace was ok at the beginning.

I've been trying to figure out how to achieve this since forever. Sadly I think it's just a mirage of the lighting, editing, acting etc. in movies that makes it come across as cyberpunk cool. Trying it in real life just comes off as cluttered and tryhard. Maybe if you had some kind of decommissioned bunker underground you could pull it off. Otherwise, I don't know

I think the secret to the lighting effect is to not have white walls. If you have dark-colored walls, they won't reflect as much light, so you'll be able to turn on enough lights so that you can see and still have a dimly lit room.

lain is about japan's changing place in the world during a specific timeframe
if you don't understand that (implicit) context and all that it entails you will fundamentally misconstrue the messages it is designed to project
someone will probably say 'lol death of the author' but when it is viewed through the wrong lens you end up with a significantly warped view of it and then--since barely anyone in the English discourse has the proper perspective--you end up with the dominate narrative being a twisted one
it is sad really

Don't. It ruins your eyesight

>several server racks against the wall
how to get the server rack aethistics, but not the noise? just have server looking front plates with blinking leds and use the space behind them for wardrobe or such?

>you will fundamentally misconstrue the messages it is designed to project
And what is the message then?

gb2 n33r.tk

This kind of monitor set up would be ideal, dark blacked out apartment, few server racks in the corner, full microelectronics lab beside it all and the crayola books because 1337.

Attached: hlpnl6ep0noz.jpg (5312x2988, 1.39M)

>gay fox masks

Dropped

This.
No daylight and dark walls that absorb light instead of reflecting it. No that you should be able to see the walls anyways.
Start collecting old or broken computers from the dump or second hand, and I think it would get naturally cluttered in the room.

youtube.com/watch?v=CiBI0yrtHUo

just use larger servers
with larger. quieter fans
4u will work with 120mm in the front
maybe have 100mm or two 80mm for exhaust, but reduce the speed on them to reduce noise
you can build a custom rack with sound dampening foam and vibration absorbers and such to reduce further

>Apple keyboard
My fingers already hurt.

modern gaming stations probably have more influence these days, but a lot of the films that had scenes with those super hacker stations were just slightly modified film editing bays -basically an editing bay layout with cyber punk window dressing. iirc, even the original Star Wars sequence where the technicians power up the death star is shots of an editing console.

Attached: editing-procure-multimedia.png (600x400, 336K)

bump

Well obviously needs to be changed around. I think anymore then 3 monitors is overkill, maybe 4 if you include a cute little character terminal somewhere. IDK, a shitload of screens doesn't appeal to me, why do you need them? That's what virtual workspaces are for and keeping your focus.

A nice split keyboard and trackball would go a long way in that setup, electronics bench and a rack full of stupid project computers would be dank though.

Dark rooms with bright lights is the most retarded thing ever. In real life you can't look at the screen in dark room for more than 5 minutes without hurting your eyes. It break immersion for me in every movie/game etc.

I love this kind of military sci-fi aesthetic.

Attached: Drake_Herald_Interior_09.jpg (1916x993, 1.1M)

3clean5me

Attached: battlestation_hikikomori.jpg (1920x1280, 343K)

>Ever wanted to renovate your living space to look like one of those hacking dungeons that you see in cyberpunk films?
no, i don't want to harm my vision, it's already hard to read street signs when driving
i don't wear headphones either to protect myself from the hearing damage they cause

They look aesthetic in photos, but that's about it. I work nights and stay on a permanent night schedule. You bet your ass I have everything riced out with solarized dark and custom CSS applied in Firefox.

Not sure if giant bottle or tiny everything. But yeah, obsessively clean setups always rubbed me the wrong way it just seems so staged. Fuck that, show me your rats nest of cabling!

2 liter suntory water from the kombini

good AC. hardware creates a lot of heat. being sweaty in your hacker lair is not cool

hidden rooms are super comfy

>contacting the protagonist from beyond the grave
wow, that sounds retarded. thanks, was just about to check out that cartoon but now I know I won't like it

>In real life you can't look at the screen in dark room for more than 5 minutes without hurting your eyes
maybe you cant

tegnology, lol

I also run htop on idle ssh terminals on my work.
fucking hell i feel hacker as fuck

Who needs lights when you have 10 monitors. (still not enough imo)

nice pun
upvote

My main room already looks enough like that. Minus too many screens.

All the monitors dont have to be connected to the same computer...
If you have project computers without functioning operating systems/network connections you are gonna need a monitor to work on them. Your main desktop doesnt need more than 3-4 monitors tho.

Easy. Because you're only LARPing as a hacker, the rackmount machines are only cosmetic because you never do anything with them. So, you simply leave them switched off. No noise.

Continuum got the turbonerd 3l33t h/\x0r feel about right.

Attached: Continuum2.jpg (533x300, 21K)

The noise is part of the aesthetic though.

Attached: ab2a7b79ac326e762413d4c1c2c7ba9c--kawaii-goth-anime-kawaii.jpg (678x678, 53K)

>Ever wanted to renovate your living space to look like one of those hacking dungeons that you see in cyberpunk films?
yeah, sometimes. but then I realize I have no use for half a dozen screens.

it's 2018 moran nobody buys things for their function it's all about projecting an aesthetic

>hundreds of dollars into achieving this look
>hundreds
Try thousands.

Man I quit cherry blues for this and it's comfier. For me anyway

Attached: IMG_0682.jpg (4032x3024, 2.15M)

If they're anything like the ones on their laptops it's like typing on glass to me.

It's just a little shallower and more tactile than the board on the 2015 mbp in the pic, but not even close to as shallow and buttony as the newer ones

as someone who has done this with very limited money and means, let me give you my protips:

>go to a scrapyard that has pallets of desktops
you'd be surprised what you can find. they normally charge by weight too. sure, a lot of it is beater optiplexes and office waste, but 2/5ths of the machines i bought worked, and it only cost me about 10 bucks a desktop. Stripped down the other ones for parts, stacked them up and use them as a nightstand. Also, you can find some old shit at those kind of places too. Found a mid 90s data server once, with an array of 9GB hard drives.

>start a homelab
you should be doing this anyways. buy (dont rent) a router, a switch, maybe a pi for an inline firewall. for extra cyberpunk cred, make it ethernet only with no wireless. now you're no longer susceptible to most skiddy mitm attacks unless someone actually gets access to your coax

>buy multiple monitors, and keep an eye out for CRTs
obvious one

>buy a kotatsu
there is not a piece of furniture more cyberpunk than a kotatsu. if you're too broke to buy one, make you're own, it's pretty easy. Just need a coffee table, a blanket, and a slab of wood. Throw some pillows around it and you've made yourself the perfect cozy place to fuck around on a laptop and eat ramen.

>get an HMD
optional, but even a crappy FPV HMD will make your life much more /cyber/

>newspaper clippings
find some of tech news stories that interest you and tape them to your walls and windows. this makes a big difference as far as aesthetics and gives your guests something to read

>build a small faraday cage
take a box, line it with chicken wire and aluminum foil. anytime you or a guest comes in, throw your phone in the box.

>string christmas lights from the ceiling
no questions

If you live in a small studio in a megacity, all of these tips combined will help create the perfect environment to get your keyboard cowboy shit done.

Attached: cc.gif (348x216, 4K)

whats has this board become?

Attached: 1537266065929.jpg (480x480, 161K)

is that black box plugged in to itself?

it's a infinite power charging station it works by recycling the volts

Attached: 1446866196356.jpg (1600x1200, 478K)

that oscilloscope is on for what reason?

So he can play Quake, duh!
youtube.com/watch?v=aMli33ornEU

tfw use ten monitors don't make you hacker

Attached: 1528003634387.jpg (618x1098, 476K)

That pic is cringe

whats with the sudden increase in garbage threads

no but you can set up ten webcams and watch yourself masturbate from ten different angles

The 'hacker lair' is not something you buy like a commodified lifestyle to replace your lack of substance as a human being, it's something your room gradually turns into as you invest more time into using computers for various things and learn more. Your room gains stacks of switches because you actually need connections for that many devices. Termimals take up your monitors because you actually use them for working on things.

Let me guess, you have a Pi on your shelf collecting dust right now because you bought one without knowing what to do with it, right? You're everything wrong with hacker culture.

How does one prevent damage to eyesight as far as workstation setup is involved?

>The 'hacker lair' is not something you buy like a commodified lifestyle to replace your lack of substance as a human being
I completely agree with this but let's be real here, there's no way you would ever need more than 1-2 computers these days unless you were actually doing something with hardware

This guy knows.
Setting up your room to match some style you saw in a movie is almost as cringe inducing as the gaymin razor rgb meme setups.
There is nothing wrong with having tech all over your room, including many screens and electronics / oscilloscopes, but fuck right off with having multiple server racks in your room because muh estethics.
It's insanely impractical for working, just store them in your basement and ssh into them instead of having them constantly disturb you with noise and heat.
As this guy said, setups like these evolve over time, there is nothing more pathetic than having 3 screens running apt-get update, ping traces or some lame ass script output all the time just so you can have some scrolling green text on your screen and feel like a haxx0r.

Do you know why workplaces have those glass cubes around the server room if it's on a populated floor? Noise isolation. Servers are noisy as fuck. They usually have tiny fans that run super fast, and they do not ramp because the temps need to stay as low as possible.

I used to work in an office with a glass cage around the 50 or so racks in the middle of the room.

They are also hot af, so enjoy your spot aircons and ducts out the window.

A more reasonable setup would be an closed isolation rack with however many blades in a separate room with an aircon.

Sorry to break it to you, but the hacker aesthetic is basically dead at the moment.

I wanna sniff Brat ass

Attached: 31FA5315-2CB0-4119-87C6-EF000A81A6C6.gif (480x270, 885K)

pics?

It's called a noise canceling headset combined with not giving a fuck: youtube.com/watch?v=PbIj2YXF_Uc

Attached: 461259870306376.jpg (2300x1200, 346K)

Authenticity. Stop larping, the mess is a story being told.

kek, nice, hahaha, I haven't seen a post this good in quite a while, lol.

Attached: 1536691591756.png (990x760, 820K)

Are you that user from the /cyb/ thread which said he did a cooling tower for all his servers?

I've posted old pics of it in battlestation threads. I would post them now, but I'm away from home. If this thread is still up in two and a half hours, I'll post new pics.

Why not both? Your environment helps dictate your outlook, mood, personality, and interests. Why not try to surround yourself with things that make you excited about learning? As long as the person is actively making an effort to learn about programming and computers, and not just using them as set dressing, I think it's fine. Hell, it's even admirable that they're trying to make it such a big part of their lifestyle.

Then again, uber 1337 skiddys are pretty gay, ngl

Dude needs some cable management

There is a company that does this, I saw an ad on YouTube.

Will keep it up. I have nothing better to do.

Attached: olga orlova - attic 3-a.jpg (1920x1481, 517K)

Attached: reid liam - hacker's apartment.jpg (1600x656, 179K)

Attached: tj foo - paranormal investigator's basement.jpg (1920x960, 349K)

Attached: watch dogs.jpg (1920x1080, 239K)

Attached: 022.jpg (1280x851, 327K)

Attached: 024.jpg (2560x1920, 359K)

Page 7.

nice quebec flag

Attached: 042.jpg (1270x774, 348K)

Sodium Halogen lights FTW man.

Attached: 1536616093678.gif (232x232, 695K)

I too would like to see these pics when you get the chance

People say mine looks cyberpunk-ish. By the way, any suggestions on how to cover the apple logo on the gutted iMac I'm using as a main display? I'd use something else, but i'd lose muh IPS and muh 100% sRGB

Attached: 1527370392853.jpg (4592x3056, 2.53M)

nvm fixed it

Attached: IMG_20180920_015751.jpg (2560x1920, 2.73M)

Isn't it more retro than cyb?

Attached: bs1.jpg (2955x2216, 677K)

>Why not both? Your environment helps dictate your outlook, mood, personality, and interests
Well I guess if your enivornment makes you feel like a fake-ass motherfucker more power to you
Real programmers have a shitty desktop PC and that's it

I like the look, but at the same time can't see myself bringing a girl back to my place and her cringing at my lair
>implying anyone on Jow Forums brings a girl home
Also
>invent hundreds of dollars for a huge swath of computer equipment, posters, artwork, etc
Probably way more than that user.

I can tell you I've fucked multiple times in
Even when it was in a way worse state and I had animu wallpapers on the wall beside my bed.
If the girl you're bringing into your lair doesn't like it, then she isn't worthy of entering it.

Creative engineering I believe

Just build a home with secrets everywhere.
youtube.com/watch?v=eYVymsEiSh0

>Your environment helps dictate your outlook, mood, personality, and interests
Personality and interests aren't made of bric-a-brac you hang on your walls.

What Cyberpunk films are you talking about? Never seen one with some gay ass shit like your pic. Bladerunner is the best cyberpunk (and anything else) film ever made, and there is none of this gay ass shit.

I always liked the look of Max's apartment in Pi.

Attached: pi_screenshot.jpg (1400x850, 147K)

nice model train.