Starting your own Tech Business

If you had 10 million dollars to start a technology company, what would you focus on? Would it be for profit or achieving a personal goal, or just have fun? Who would you hire and how would you find them? What would your starting steps be?

I'd want to start something in genetics and cybernetics. Try growing organs and testing how to implant electronics in a practical way. I'd go to conventions focusing on doctors, robotics, genetics, chemistry. Definitely need people from all those fields working together to get anywhere meaningful. My goal would be to provide life extending therapies.

A close second is space stuff and autonomous robots.

Attached: Cyborg-Individual.jpg (650x650, 82K)

Other urls found in this thread:

techcrunch.com/2018/09/14/airware-shuts-down/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

a game dev company or something like that

i'd try to make the next youtube and all R&D would be going into lowering bandwidth costs because even with 10mil you're going to lose to google over time.

something like bitchute but more streamlined

economically and wisely this
game company is the best bangbuck shits when you considering to enter tech business market because can give you a starting strong business fundamental in long term

>Invent some way to noninvasively test people for various diseases in a portable format.
>hire people to design and manufacture prototype
>sell to google or gates foundation for 10 billion

If I had 10 mil here's what I'd do: Jack shit. Retire from my job and enjoy life. Let others do the "daily grind" while I just kick back and coast along. Fuck, I'd be happy with just 1 million.

t. Theranos

nah b, they still wanted to take blood. I'd be looking at something that can scan through the skin

The only way to accurately assess a patient for a disease is to get a physical sample. What you’re talking about will be science fiction for quite a while. Even if you somehow miraculously invented something, no medical professional would trust it and no government regulatory agency would ever approve it as a reliable and acceptable assessment method.

10 million is a drop in the bucket
techcrunch.com/2018/09/14/airware-shuts-down/

You must be fun at parties.

I would focus on apps and small, one-off software applications. Maybe simple games. The idea is that something would be very successful and make up for any other failed projects. Several small losses and one big win.

I would hire enough people to do every job needed, so I could sit back and play video games all day. Strict 40-hour workweek, maybe leave early on Fridays so employees have something to look forward to each week.

ok fine, I guess that idea's out

how about a super realistic sex doll instead?

ITT people vastly underestimate the amount of money it takes to start a tech company.

Ok, then how about a billion? Would you guys change what you did? Or is that still not enough motivation?

More feasible with investment into material engineering for synthetic muscle and skin

>10 million dollars

Let's say everyone makes 50k USD, including cleaning staff.
10 employees - 500k / year
office rent - 50k / year
marketing - 50k / year

So you're looking at roughly one million per year.

forgot some stuff:

cloud server rental - 50k / year
office equipment (PCs, fridge, food) - 50k / year

It actually doesn't take a massive crew to build something well. And from what I've seen, you're better off with less people, paid more (IE: They're good) than more, shit people.

I would start a software company that would release everything under Affero GPL. Dual license for a fee.

>few exceptional people are better than a large diverse crew
So much this. 10 people who actually know what they are doing are worth 1000 brainless drones.

>reject applicants that clearly don't share my ethnicity
>phone screen remaining applicants
>reject applicants who don't speak clear English or have a basic phone conversation
>invite remaining applicants in for face-to-face
>reject immature applicants
>reject creepy applicants
>reject narcissistic applicants
>reject applicants who lack compassion, humantiy, or EQ
>no one left but myself

Best way to hire good people is to find and meet them. Thats why you need to go to conventions and universities.

yeah but 10 million is around the point where you can start influencing the world if you invest it right. i would love to have a life of leisure but at the same time i'd feel restless and like i have a responsibility to put the financial power towards something greater than myself.

If I had $10M that was a grant, not VC, not a loan, but just money I can use whether I succeed or fail...

I'd dump all of it into trying to develop clones that are nothing more than a sack of organs with CRISPR and CAS-9 so that when someone needs an organ transplant they can have one made from their own DNA with no fear of rejection

What kind of "talent" are you gonna get with 50k per year? Maybe that's viable in a different country, no way software engineers, compsci graduates, etc, in the US will settle for that shit.

Jokes on you, my company is in Mississippi.

>If you had 10 million dollars to start a technology company, what would you focus on?
Developer tooling for up-and-coming languages. I think you can do far better than IntelliJ. I'd only need a few devs and an office, so it's in the budget.
>Would you guys change what you did?
Yeah, with that kind of money you can do space, military robotics and anti-aging. It's enough for serious R&D.

Buy Jow Forums

I didn't know the Mongo CEO posted on Jow Forums.

How much do you think it is worth now?

This is more an exercise to see what goals you'd pursue if you had the freedom to do so. 10 million for a startup is not unthinkable nowadays.

I understand that. I am probably going to end up working on IDEs anyway even with no such windfall. The reason I suggested space and anti-aging was that you don't need $1 billion in my area interest. However, if I had $1 billion, it would be a mistake for me to only invest a small fraction because of personal preferences. I could profit immensely and literally save lives by investing the money into medtech, so I wouldn't refuse. I'd pay a price for it by not being able to do CTO stuff myself.

I dump it all into tech that could facilitate a VR MMORPG.
P.S. 10 million isn't shit to R&D. They run through 10 million keeping the fucking lights on. Fuck man, shitty video games cost more than that even without marketing.

Attached: f87a473caa4b53c27cad85fdf88ce8bb.jpg (1500x1500, 1.48M)

>make anime real

- accountant
- at least 1 manager to free my time up
- janitor
- server admin
- artist (photoshop)
- front-end (UI programming)
- backend engineer
- App developer
- marketing / PR

Probably want more coders to save time

just because a job exists doesnt mean you have to hire someone to fill it. You need to dispose of your narrow NPC thinking. Entrepreneurs will do all these jobs if they need to.

i don't mean to sound rude, but i'd like to challenge this belief.
in the long term, doesn't your company have to have consistently strong ideas?
i get that residual income is nice, but this is 'speculation creation,' no? you can't assume your game will be popular--or even sell enough to cover overhead

Que

Too much risk. What if your game fails to find success?

nigga, just hire those cheap slav progammers
they will do the shit for you for a free visa
also just make a cheap shits 2.5d scroll game, slap it on steam, people will buy it

video game company don't need strong ideas, they need retarded fanbases to keep buying video game of same series. If you succeed in video game industry then you can move on to another software shits

I would uncuck medical software from Windows and closed source licenses. Hospitals should be running stable, secure, and simple software. My hospital does a pretty nifty job of utilizing baremetal hypervisors. Other hospitals in the areas use software VMs and it is sluggish and so unstable.

Don't forget technical support, though. That's the appeal of buying things from MS.

this is actually my real job

I'm actually looking into getting in informatics after working as an RN till I get sick of it. Anything you would reccomend? By the way what is your project called?
I guess you could set up some type of RedHat like business model and provide support that way.

>If you had 10 million dollars to start a technology company, what would you focus on?
I would look for an every day problem I faced that also was shared by millions of others. Only by knowing the issues closely yourself can you realistically solve a problem for others.

you can't do much other than software dev or high-level (putting together lower level parts in structures you assemble) hardware manufacturing with 10 mil.
But if I had unlimited resources I would try to sustain animal brains independent of the body, and find ways to communicate between machines and nerves.

Still new but its a cloud system to measure and analyze data by one of the biggest medical hardware suppliers in the world.

Neat! How do companies like this handle collecting data with HIPAA around? Is all patient identifying information scrubbed prior to your servers collecting the information?

A big team of lawyers i never see.

>video game company don't need strong ideas, they need retarded fanbases to keep buying video game of same series
this is the reason anime is overrun with moe shit nowadays

Buy like 10 McDonalds franchises and watch as my profits double in a few years cause 90% of America eats at McDonalds.

I'd do desalination, battery tech, or a constraint-based engineering/architecture/city planning tool. Though 10 mil likely would not be enough for those fields.

Im not sure 10 mil would last long for that area OP. Me personally I would focus on privacy and security for personal and business. Maybe some simple games.

10 mil is plenty for the *start* but you will need B- and C-funding later when scaling out.