/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Create a parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC
Search youtube for a guide for your socket

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses; eg Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose and graphics card pairing.
>Don't use Speccy. Use HWinfo, SIV, etc.
>For Win7 in Ryzen, refer to pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

CPU
>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming(dGPU optional)
>R5 2400G/i5-8400 - Consider IF on sale
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>Wait for 9700k - Almost surely best for 1080p gaming
>R7 2700/X - Best high-end gaming/mixed usage on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

RAM
>8GB - Enough for most gaming use
>16GB - Standard for heavy use
>32GB - If you have to ask, you don't need this
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933MHz+ is ideal

Graphics cards
>RTX 2000 cards are worse performance per $ than current GPUs. Just a marketing gimmick to rip off idiots
>Avoid cheap MODELS ie MSI Armor (Mk2 is ok), Gigabyte G1/Wf, ASUS dual, and others which have small heatsinks and low quality fans
1080p
>RX 570/580 /w Freesync or 1060 6GB are standard 1080p 60fps+ options
>1050 3Gb or RX560 for lower settings and/or older games
>GTX 1070Ti/Vega 56 if seeking higher FPS /w a high hz monitor
1440p
>Vega 56; 1070Ti/1080 if you already have Gsync
>GTX 1080Ti if seeking higher FPS /w a high hz monitor
>Upscale from 1620-1800p. Maybe 2080Ti, but awful value.
OpenCL work
>Vega 64

Storage
>Backup before using StoreMi
>Consider getting a larger SSD (better GB/$) instead of small SSD & large HDD
>2TB HDDs are barely more $ than 1TB
>M.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard

Display
>Consider 75hz minimum; 60hz are mostly old models.
>Always consider FreeSync with AMD cards
>___sync is important for slower response time monitors (IPS)
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

More
rentry.co/pcbg-more

Previous

Attached: miku case.gif (360x202, 3.85M)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/7qK76s
bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1384128-REG/lg_27uk650_w_27_ips_hdr_uhd.html
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236677
bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1318299-REG/hp_x3w57aa_aba_omen_32_led_lcd.html
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236855
kitguru.net/peripherals/monitors/matthew-wilson/ifa-2018-acer-launches-new-4k-144hz-monitors-with-freesync-and-g-sync/
overclock.net/forum/225-hardware-news/1708650-auo-optronics-auo-showcase-astounding-lineup-high-spec-gaming-lcds-32-4k-144hz-1000-zone-miniled.html
testufo.com/
tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-oem-manufacturer,2913-2.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I masturbated to that case.

Will this work with a NVMe?

How much extra is it worth spending to get a Vega 64 over a 56? How much more power will it use (taking undervolting into account)?

>GTX 1070
>Ryzen 1600
>2x8GB Vengeance RAM
>B350 Plus
Thoughts?

pcpartpicker.com/list/7qK76s

my parts came in today I'm scared to build it

>Repost
You'll want a G-Sync monitor then if you game enough to merit it with your Nvida GPU.
Since you are mostly using it for media playback/general usage though I'd go with a 4K IPS or VA monitor since outside of games, Pixel Density > ALL

Options:
bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1384128-REG/lg_27uk650_w_27_ips_hdr_uhd.html
LG 27UK650-W
Current-gen LG 27” 4K IPS HDR 60Hz Factory Calibrated ($514)

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236677
Asus ROG Swift PG27AQ
27” 4K IPS 60Hz NVIDIA G-Sync ($850)

bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1318299-REG/hp_x3w57aa_aba_omen_32_led_lcd.html
Resolution Compromise - HP OMEN X 35
Curved 35" 3440×1440 VA 100 Hz G-Sync ($800)

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236855
ASUS ROG Strix XG35VQ
Resolution Compromise - Curved 35" 3440×1440 IPS 100 Hz G-Sync ($700 w/Promo Code EMCPYEW24, ends 9/18)

Hope that gives you a starting point.
Everything is tradeoffs right now until high-Hz 4K IPS panels get under $XXXX or OLED finally kicks TFT LCD into the trash pile where it belongs.

I was reapplying thermal paste, and after wiping the existing paste (which clumped together for some reason) some of it got around the socket. I tried cleaning it up but there was still a spec of it near one of the pins on the socket. I didn't want to try and get it out because I would probably hit one of the pins in the process. Is that bad?

any reason youd go with 350 over 450?

just use the edge of a sheet of paper to slowly remove it

cheaper
what difference does the motherboard make?

0 extra for gaming.
They are bottlenecked by the ROP count, not the CUs. Having 8 more CUs doesn't do anything. Clock for the clock they perform the same in games.
Only worth getting a 64 for shit like blender rendering, scientific work, or because you feel like wasting money because you have to have the better model due to your autism.

Acer has new 4K 144hz Freesync and Gsync HDR monitors coming out. I would wait instead of buying a 2-3 year old Gsync monitor.

Is this a craigslist PC? I'd say $600 maybe.

>Is this a craigslist PC?
no need to be so harsh

If that were true you'd see identical framerates in everyones benchmarks. I'm mostly wondering about the difference at 1440p >60 fps, since everyone recommends the 1080ti for that but muh freesync.

>Acer has new 4K 144hz Freesync and Gsync HDR monitors coming out. I would wait instead of buying a 2-3 year old Gsync monitor.
kitguru.net/peripherals/monitors/matthew-wilson/ifa-2018-acer-launches-new-4k-144hz-monitors-with-freesync-and-g-sync/
That's neat.

There's also the coming introduction of new 4K 144hz panels from AUO, some of which will have FALD.
overclock.net/forum/225-hardware-news/1708650-auo-optronics-auo-showcase-astounding-lineup-high-spec-gaming-lcds-32-4k-144hz-1000-zone-miniled.html

Attached: 180827_2.jpg (748x499, 268K)

But you do see identical FPS when Vega56 and 64 have identical clocks and neither is throttling. What are you talking about, other than not knowing what you're talking about?

Show me the benchmarks!

Attached: 1512671997922.jpg (1000x667, 52K)

What the fuck kind of system is even going to be capable of running modern games at 4k 144hz?

Maybe CS:GO with 2080ti SLI, 9900K and 3200MHz C14 all OC'd to shit

reminder 4k is a fucking meme until fully featured 4k 144+hz IPS monitors are less than $600 and video cards catch up

Vengeance RAM on B350 lower end b350 boards have very weird compatibility. Even if it's on qvl of your mobo, it's not guaranteed that it will run with advertised speeds. I've had Vengeance 2x4GB sticks on Asrock AB350m, which were supposed to run at 2933 as per the qvl page, and they sort of did if you tweak the voltage settings in bios. But my PC would attempt to boot about 4-5 times every time I launched it, and it turns out if I set memory clock to 2400Ghz it starts from the first attempt.
Recently replaced it with Trident Z 2x8GB and have a perfectly fine 3000Ghz as advertised, and it runs smooth as butter.

REEEEEEE

WHEN CAN I BUY A ASUS 2080ti STRIX

>Wait for 9700k - Almost surely best for 1080p gaming
How soon is it coming, exactly? For me, it's either waiting for this or getting the 8086k now.

> ASUS
Seriously nibba?

Next month

If I have a 1080, how much of a good idea is waiting 2-3 months and buying a Asus PG279Q?
I miss my high refresh rates of CTR and can't deal with this old 21' 720p IPS no mo.

The whole purpose of Freesync/Gsync is it looks fine and doesn't tear when a game only runs at 40fps. It's also fine if it can run at 60fps. It's also fine for the few games you can run at 144hz like CSGO, and even R6 Siege, Overwatch, etc, if you turn settings down a bit.

Fact is that most games look better at 4k and more reasonable settings, lower AA, than 1080p maxed with high AA.
Like my RX580 I run at 2560x1600 60fps+ fine on better than console quality settings. Siege runs at more like 90-130 and even higher if I turn off AA almost entirely which I could at 4k and still look good. I could do the same with Vega56 at 4K and get similar/better framerates to the RX580.

Even if you don't do 144hz, doesn't matter, you can still manage 75+ or whatever at reasonable settings. It's also HDR, which is also not a meme.

>buying 3 year old monitors
>unironically buying 3 year old monitors
>unironically buying 3 year old monitors which are worse than new Freesync monitors which are both better and cost half as much

Paper launch in October. Availability a few weeks later.

Google "gamersnexus vega56 64 clock for clock".

An unemployment 200kg retard bought the following setup to play 10 year old games. Please help me laugh at him

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Mainboard: MSI B350M PRO-VDH
RAM:Ballistix Sport LT BLS2C8G4D240FSB
MSI Nvidia GTX 1070 Gaming X
Corsair Hydro Series H55
960 EVO NVMe SSD 250GB

Anyone?

But I don't have AMD card (had 2 until now)
I don't think I will even attempt to change it until 2020.
Why would I pick Freesync then?
How is age of monitor even related to question when so little changes over years in display market?

xfr2 among other features

i hope you aren't talking about me

Fuck, when is the new Intel cpus coming out? I just bought a new i5 8400 and and motherboard, I still have time to return it

Probably temperature changes causing expansion and compression. I wouldn't worry about it user.

Rainer? At least I hope you put your system to good use

Paying $600 for a 3 year old monitor doesn't make sense no matter the supporting variables.

Because when new products enter few months from now, price of older equipment usually falls down?
And I don't need all this HDR bullshit or curved screens that are wider than your mom?

Thanks

Attached: precious_creature.png (577x1076, 365K)

Any motherboards to stay away from for a B450 or X470 chipset?

How much should I sell a used MSI GTX 1050 without a box for a quick sale? I live in the UK

really makes you think about the state of things

Attached: they.jpg (1417x861, 216K)

One month, maybe two

50£ max

shit costs like 5 months of salary here

>try to check out 1440p monitors with 144hz at microcenter
>can't tell too much of a difference, but all they were playing were stock videos

i wonder if I'm just blind, people tell me they look great but I can barely see much of a difference

I suppose you can only really see it when playing vidya

If those demos were 60FPS then you wont see any difference.
The real shit starts when you play FPS while pulling over 100 FPS.

Tell them you are in the market for a new monitor, and ask if you can stress test them with this page (full screen):
testufo.com/

Attached: gDiEmfe.jpg (1920x1080, 235K)

B450 board

Ryzen 2600 (only gonna slightly overclock it to 3.6 maybe)

16gb 3000mhz ram

Costs 360 euro. Worth it? Should i wait for zen2?

Friend mentions that his computer has some slowdowns when drawing some super high resolution art. He's considering upgrading later down the line and asked me to figure out a build for him. I don't know about working with photoshop, but RAM is fairly important right? Should 32GB be enough or is it overkill for drawing high res art? He's only doing 2D but told me he's considering working with 3D stuff later down the line, so I'm thinking 32GB is a possibility.

All right cool, I guess the stock videos were just shit. When I get the chance, I'll come back and ask them to show a stress test or play some high FPS high resolution games or something.

I'm just conflicted on upgrading to 1440p since I don't really play super high end games that much anymore and think I'm happy with 1080p. But I thought the same with SSDs and now I can't go back to using HDDs at my boot drive anymore.

I just bought better than that and I don't even play games anymore. Fight me.

>tfw I just bought a 1080 ti for the same price a 2080 will release at

The better cooling from an aftermarket gpu is worth it right guys?

Why tho?

I understand that lower screen effect is better?
When I enter electronics store I question myself if some displays are better because my eyes adapted to some of low quality stuff.

>Electronics store plays 24fps videos on all monitors
>WHY DO THEY ALL LOOK THE SAME

Please stop.

when will the nda be lifted for the 2080ti?
i want to see benchmarks

I just bought an ssd to replace my OS hdd. The hdd only had 140gb on it and I have a 1tb hdd I throw all my crap on.
The ssd I bought is 240gb or something like that. Whats the best way to put my os on the ssd without losing everything like installed program paths that lead to the larger hdd.

this motherboard has 8 pin cpu atx power connector but this shitty psu only has one 4 pin cpu connector
i just plugged the 4 pin into the thing and it seems to work
what could go wrong, assuming i have enough raw wattage and dont oc or anything?

Benchmarks show only a marginal improvement and they came from nvidia so you know they're twisted to show their newest product looking like it's the next big thing. I wouldn't worry about it too much

Macrium reflect

Definitely worth it for the price. You will still be able to upgrade to Zen2+ later.

Wew lad. Waiting till the day before real benchmarks hit...

What would you pick between a Cooler Master H500P and a Lian-Li O11 Air? My provider has a big sale on cases.

Buy better psu. Seriously do that as soon as you can.

I-I thought if the 2080 benchmarks revealed it was shit the 1080 ti might become more scarce or increase in price.

That would have to be some pretty shit numbers to turn down all the fanboys. And all the warnings are based off of highly over-extrapolated data. But you bought somewhere with a good return policy, right annon?

but why

Not him, but i've read you can, in time, destroy your hardware. Read it somewhere a few months ago.

What's the best B450 motherboard right now?

how does that happen

Will Zen 2 have TSX

A PSU doesn't destroy your hardware because it doesn't have all the connectors you want, you fucking retard.

Well some guy on r*ddit already showed that the leaked FFXIV benchmarks are misleading and the 1080ti outperforms it.

Im trying to decide between 2 laptops with almost same specs
First one Lenovo has: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 ( 4GB)
Second one Acer has: nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti 4GB DDR5

Price of both is about the same, now I cant decide between those 2, any ideas?

If it doesnt have 8 pin then its most likely shit psu which can result in crashes. Good psu will last you a liftime just buy it once and use it forever.

Get a Macbook

>some guy on r*ddit
Well shit son. Why didn't you say so?

I think the 980 ti is the last flagship card that i'm going to buy , the cost just simply isn't worth it to me anymore.

The difference between Ultra and high settings in games is barely noticable.

I bought a platinum Seasonic PSU.
It literally came with 10 years warranty.

If you're actually planning on gaming, the difference of the ti is probably going to outweigh build quality for you. Also lenovo is malware incarnate.

desu its good enough it just has outdated connectors

So I was thinking of upgrading parts of an old computer that I inherited (the case is fucking massive lel it has wheels)

I was looking up the current processors, there are 4 Intel 2 Extreme X9650 @3GHz, and according to some pricing site they are worth almost £500, each, how? I thought these were really old?

Or instead of guessing how bad his PSU is by looking at the connectors he should go by useful parameters.

tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-oem-manufacturer,2913-2.html

Laptop will mainly be for work and shit and for playing some games during weekend. If i wanted dedicated gaming rig I'd buy PC. Im looking for that sweetspot between build quality and performance. Benchmarks i found online compare GTK 1050 with 2gb VRAM while this lenovo one has 4gb built in... its hard choice

>the leaked FFXIV benchmarks are misleading
Everything is misleading at this point. GPU performance is complex and we have basically nothing to go on till tomorrow.

Not even having a 8-pin connector must mean the thing is incomplete and probably of low quality; Nontheless, is the 4-pin on the 8-pin connection is overloading, and be psu being cheap af without any voltage protections it will damage your components, you blatant idiot.

If you're going for work I would eschew gaming altogether and get massively improved battery life and size.

>just buy Seasonic-brand Seasonic $100 PSU goym, trust me using less power will overload and KILL your computer

That's not what i said fucktard. Kys

~1000 for mental ray rendering 3d and gaming
haven't built a PC before but can't find a 8-12 core solution under 1K without a GPU since I already have a 1070.

Attached: 2.jpg (1386x963, 240K)

why the fuck are you buying a 850w PSU for something that'll be like 350w at full load

how do you know it will overload and not simply fail deliver enough power?

>implying that buying reliable, long lasting products from a trusted manufacturer is getting jewed

650W neighbor has a lot of reviews with a low lifespan, burning out etc for the same price.
amazon.ca/dp/B01LYGFRL6
CAD and general pricing is gimped and all over the place.

It's a fucking shitshow m8 send back if you can. Even if they're ending up being a little pricier it's still worth the jump. As euros we're fucked either way so we might as well take it.

I've been looking at the 2700 as well, but have been reconsidering for the 2700X as the performance margin seems quite notable between the two.

Also, try looking at the Tomahawk B450 for better value or the X470 Aorus Gaming Pro which costs only slightly more. There's not much of a difference between X470 and B450. Although check if the RAM is compatible.

I'm hoping intel 9th gen will be good for gaming since I'm still skeptical of Ryzen. Will intel 9th gen still be affected by security patches?

Stop caring about security memes. They dont affect gaming

i'm not building a pc but i need a new ssd 240 to 250gb.

I'm not a heavy user. I have a couple 60gb ssds that are still alive but they're too small.

I can get, ordered by price:
kingston a400 < wd green < sandisk ultra 3d < wd blue 3d < intel 545 = samsung 860evo

Thoughts?

I'm looking for 27", 1440p, at least 75hz, IPS, vesa-friendly monitor, literally can't find one