What's Stallman's legacy? Other than starting a movement that gave birth to linux, etc

What's Stallman's legacy? Other than starting a movement that gave birth to linux, etc

Attached: 1512144036699.jpg (320x279, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

stokely.com/lighter.side/unix.prank.html
gnu.org/fun/jokes/unix-hoax.html
archive.is/gmw11
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Unix was a prank
In an announcement that has stunned the computer industry, Ken Thompson, Dennis Ritchie and Brian Kernighan admitted that the Unix operating system and C programming language created by them is an elaborate prank kept alive for over 20 years.
...we decided to do parodies of the Multics environment and Pascal. Dennis and I were responsible for the operating environment. We looked at Multics and designed the new OS to be as complex and cryptic as possible to maximize casual users' frustration levels, calling it Unix as a parody of Multics. We sold the terse command language to novitiates by telling them that it saved them typing.
At one time, we joked about selling this to the Soviets to set their computer science progress back 20 or more years.
Unfortunately, AT&T and other US corporations actually began using Unix and C. We decided we'd better keep mum, assuming it was just a passing phase. In fact, it's taken US companies over 20 years to develop enough expertise to generate useful applications using this 1960's technological parody. We are impressed with the tenacity of the general Unix and C programmer. In fact, Brian, Dennis and I have never ourselves attempted to write a commercial application in this environment.

cool beards in tech, thats his legacy

Writing the best userland for any operating system and writing the best licence for software. Also the GCC.

>people replying to 9gag posts

The only man to live on a diet of keyboard crumbs and toe jam.

>Apple is world's first trillion dollar company thanks to Steve jobs
>but Stallman made some operating system and programming language no one has ever heard about

Sauce please.

The FSF, pushing free software, and the GPL which is used by a ton of applications. Give it a few decades and his legacy userland tools in Linux will be taken over by systemd or some other bullshit.

>decades

this
Stallman was the ultimate neckbeard

>Writing the best userland for any operating system
Except (almost) all GNU tools have a better alternative

lmao

OH NO NO NO FUCKING WAY!

You Fucking Nigger
GCC
GDB
Emacs

What did you achieve?

"it's just a prank bro"

t. stallman

Damn straight. Keep sucking my dick because you will never be able to write anything on part with GCC and GDB that I created before you were born.

>jewgle this
>its real
What the fuck

Top 10 pranks that went too far

Attached: tj5tis61ajwx.png (1313x1063, 611K)

Attached: 1523355791141.jpg (1269x710, 128K)

toejam is eadible

Mactoddler absolutely utterly irreversibly universally permanently blown the fuck out LMFAOOOOOO

Attached: 1532551309030.png (600x580, 817K)

Holy shit kek

Attached: 1537339578360.jpg (900x900, 73K)

Stallman cracked MD5 when he was only 17

lurk more

>normalfaggots are retarded
More news at elven.

Ah, classic stallman

Attached: 60e.jpg (1916x1080, 1.08M)

He started the Free Software movement and although the Open Source movement goes against his philosophy, it exists and is popular in big part thanks to him.
Also:
>Stallman graduated from both MIT and Harvard
>Linus graduated from the University of Helsinki
>Steve Jobs is a dropout
>Bill Gates is a dropout
>the Google guys are dropouts
>Mark Zuckerberg is a dropout
Funny how the guys with the most knowledge and degrees get the least money and popularity.

>This piece was found on Usenet. This is fiction, not reality. Always remember that this is not true. It's really a joke, right? -- Editor

> Ken Thompson,

stokely.com/lighter.side/unix.prank.html

Funny how people who stand behind their words and convictions can't be sold by data mining their users for a bribe.

>I have done your mother
My fucking sides

Both Stallman and Gates passed Harvard's Math 55. Being a college drop out does not say anything about your academic rigor.

He made the best text editor available to date among other things.

communism

gnu.org/fun/jokes/unix-hoax.html

look at the date...

Why do you bring Gates into this? He was actually smart and a good programmer.

Been a while since I've seen this one

>It's really a joke, right?
That's what I'd say if I was K&R.

All of them are smart. All of them are good programmers (or at least good enough to kickstart their projects.)
I just found curious that the ones who are most accomplished academically are also the poorest and less known of the bunch.

The ones who stayed in academia did not have the same opportunities or did not take the risk to take them or had the wrong mindset for taking them

Based and redpilled

>What's Stallman's legacy?
Eating toe jam.
Getting spooked by spics because they "can't decide if he should give a speech in spanish or english".
Invented water saving by only taking a shower every 5th day (because 5 is a prime number).

>Stallman
>praises dictatorships for using Sloppnix
>mooches of MIT
>says that other people are rude
>tries to both eat the cake and have it after Jobs died

If this is real i love Richard even more

>gnu.org/fun/jokes/unix-hoax.html
>COMPUTERWORLD 1 April

It was posted for April fool's

FREETARDS BTFO

NO PLEASE SOMEONE TELL THAT THIS IS ELABORATE JOKE PLEASE

>Invented water saving by only taking a shower every 5th day (because 5 is a prime number).
But so is two and three...

Attached: primenumbers_loubko.png (720x729, 332K)

Yikes
Back 2 reddit you go

5 is the first prime number you can receive by operating only on prime numbers and the id element since you can't factorize prime numbers
>5 * 1
>5 / 1
>2+3
>7-2

The google guys are both highly accomplished, academically.

>What's Stallman's legacy?
Endless interjections.

>The google guys are both highly accomplished, academically.
>archive.is/gmw11

tl;dr
Is this supposed to undermine their achievements/academic standing?

yes since they were hand picked,nurtured,and protected from day one by an alphabet agency.

>I have done your mother
my sides just open source'd themselves

Either way, I've never heard anyone refer to PhD students as "dropouts" before.

That was not me. I stand corrected, I completely misremembered those guys' accomplishments.

I just got cucked

Nobody give's a shit about stallman's, because most people on earth don't know and care about technology itself, but what it can do like posting pictures on instagram or watching netflix in 4k, the usual normie stuff.Steve jobs is probably the best salesman in history and is responsible for the most influential tech company in the world.Obviously, steve jobs is more popular, even if stallman works are better and not a consumer product unlike with most of apples stuff