The hacker manifesto

" This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the
beauty of the baud. We make use of a service already existing without paying
for what could be dirt-cheap if it wasn't run by profiteering gluttons, and
you call us criminals. We explore... and you call us criminals. We seek
after knowledge... and you call us criminals. We exist without skin color,
without nationality, without religious bias... and you call us criminals.
You build atomic bombs, you wage wars, you murder, cheat, and lie to us
and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the criminals."

what happened???

Attached: Untitled.png (233x233, 107K)

Other urls found in this thread:

postmeritocracy.org/
theregister.co.uk/2015/11/06/linus_torvalds_targeted_by_honeytraps_says_eric_raymond/
youtu.be/5y4wqerfQIo?t=18m1s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

market forces

>what happened???

Normies got iPhones. Crowed everyone else out when the internet evolved to cater to them.

threads about the coc have been getting deleted left and right. soon this will get rekt too

the "they messed with gamers" of it's day

except thats not it at all

it is if anything more embarrassingly naive.

I wish mods would realize that it only makes the problem worse and encourages anons to keep spamming more threads. I'd rather a couple threads where it's all contained and we can all share information rather than half the board filled with shitpost tier threads just to spite the mods.

That being said, can anyone give me a basic rundown of what's going on? All I know is that some SJW that tried to get Linus framed for sexual misconduct 3 years ago has come into some sort of power in the Linux community and is about to purge anyone that doesn't subscribe to their sick ideology.

Here's their manifesto
postmeritocracy.org/

Attached: do you have a mouse.gif (300x250, 49K)

>We exist without skin color,
without nationality, without religious bias
And this is the part where the SJW get assmad.

i always wonder if these people have shit messaging on purpose or if they're just political idiots like the rest of the internet.
"post meritocracy" is a terrible way of selling your proposal and it would only take a few minutes to come up with something better. for example, why not tie it in to disdain for management bureaucracy? remove the idea of measuring merit because it's one of those weird and hard to quantify things. you can still push that it's about opening up access, but you don't make it absolutely trivial to turn things around and say "oh yeah, we want unqualified people to get into positions on the basis of minority status."

so the only options i can think of are that this never occurred to whoever created it, or that it did occur and they left it in anyway - either to be deliberately provocative and hope that their case is self-evident, or because they thought "why don't i strawman myself for fun?", and i'd write the latter off out of hand if it wasn't how i express most of my ideas to associates to add humour to the otherwise painfully dull.

I think Jow Forums has the ideal model actually.
Judge the post by the post, not by the poster.
No matter if the commit was written by a white guy, a black trans woman, a dog, a good commit is a good commit.

it's not a declaration of intent or anything it's just a lament over the fact that they dropped out of society and are still persecuted for things nobody in the "real world" cares to understand. i would say that's a pretty accurate insight.

>i always wonder if these people have shit messaging on purpose or if they're just political idiots like the rest of the internet.
unfortunately they're actively malicious.
theregister.co.uk/2015/11/06/linus_torvalds_targeted_by_honeytraps_says_eric_raymond/
They tried to frame Linus 3 years ago. I can only imagine how they managed to get him by the balls this time in order to get their CoC approved.

Twas fun to reload a thread to get new posts and get a 404.

>for example, why not tie it in to disdain for management bureaucracy?
that would be ideal but it doesn't have enough ad hominem for the average feminist. this whole spiel is a verbal fortress with shiny buzzwords and banners of false hope that lure the intellectually naive into its gates. because people like that aren't critical thinkers, but they anger easily and have a vague sense that there are injustices afoot, so they love when someone puts just the right words in their brains to help them articulate their emotions.

>they messed with gamers
>GAMERS
now they fucked with skiddies who still wont do anything and wonder how it could have happened because no one did anything last time besides epik doxxes and memes

10 minutes after I started researching the CoC controversy--all threads get purged. Can someone tldr me FAST before mods gas us again?

Linus gets pushed out of the thing, tranny enforces a ultra generic CoC that allows tranny to kick everyone they dislike, and they're already trying to push the guy that did the Ext filesystem out.
But he can sue and remove his code from the project.

>We have an ethical responsibility to refuse to work on software that will negatively impact the well-being of other people.
I hate this sort of liberal-individualist moralism. It's not "We have an ethical responsibility to prevent software that will negatively impact other people from being made", be that by actively trying to frustrate development, or getting the government to stop it, or taking any kind of action whatsoever - even tokenistic protests. No, your ethical responsibility starts and ends with leaving the project. Refuse to work on it, walk out the door, let them hire your replacement by noon tomorrow and the product will be on phones ruining lives by spring. It's fine: your conscience is clear, you didn't have a hand in it and that's what matters.

It's not that I'm big on state intervention or that I think we should get an angry mob to burn down facebook's offices or whatever, it's just so utterly pointless if not outright harmful to take such an impotent approach. If everyone who adheres to the ethical standard withdraws from the project then by definition the people left to complete it will be the unethical ones, which will almost certainly increase the harm done by the harmful software. These people want to "be" good, not DO good.

That moralistic shit is neither liberal nor individualist. It is an authoritarian collectivist cult.

an authoritarian collectivist cult would be able to stop harmful software being made by rallying the cult against it in service of a higher principle. here, it's all about individuals doing things that make them feel good but doesn't actually change the world.

> I think Jow Forums has the ideal model actually.
> Judge the post by the post, not by the poster.
You've never been to a flag board, I presume.

It's not as good, but still a shitton better than the "John White the commiter".

The lamer who wrote it Lance Blankenship turned rat after getting busted, snitching on everyone he knew, what a piece of shit.
The term hacker has been basterdized by people seeing profit in it, and the ignorant public who associate everyone who uses a computer to commit a crime as a "hacker."

Sampled in A State Of Trance 666, 18:05

youtu.be/5y4wqerfQIo?t=18m1s

Also it's been used for political bullshit by idiots like Eric Corley and the morons wearing guy fawkes masks.

Are normies malicious in their ignorance or are they not culpable for the world they ultimately sanction?

depends on whether you'd consider complacency an ethical violation

everyone grew up

>lamer
*sip*

This. The Gen Xers who comprised hacking culture in the 80's and 90's Are well into their forties now and are mostly married with kids. Those of us that where around for the 2000's and Anonymous are going into our thirties. The kids coming up after us were lost in the waves of the social media revolution and the effective end of Usenet, along with the various hacker and computer subcultures which we had known, grown up with, and taken for granted.