Why aren't you a data scientist yet?

Why aren't you a data scientist yet?

Attached: 1534508376128m.jpg (726x1024, 89K)

because i have a brain

>because i have a brain
It's been rated the sexiest job of the 21st century

Do you want to lose your job to robots?

data scientists are code monkeys of the scientific community

Attached: le-56_percent_face.jpg (400x400, 20K)

big boobie

who thinks meme STEM professions are sexy? trannies?

I am and my total comp is $800k.

"data scientist" = mediocre statistician

Attached: 146278.png (1090x773, 561K)

Because I'm the wageslave that builds scrapers to get the data to feed the data scientists. Sad life.

more like data scientist = clickfarming internet marketer

>who thinks meme STEM professions are sexy? trannies?
Sexy as in ease of finding job and high pay and less fear of replacement

>"data scientist" = mediocre statistician
t. Can't cluster to save his life

Data scientist -> the guy who cleans datasets and then slaps them in a python script

>less fear of replacement
give it 5 years or so and most of them will be out of a job when people realize big data isn't the answer to everything

Are you telling me once i reach DS level im only one step left to be a real scientist?

Any resource to build scrapers without getting banned?

>>less fear of replacement
>give it 5 years or so and most of them will be out of a job when people realize big data isn't the answer to everything

Sure, like that pesky internet
It will go away any second now

Cute

I'm an average white male living in California, and apparently it's a crime to employ me here.

Complain that they assumed your gender

Because I'm in data science automation. Better to ask
>Why are you still a data scientist?

Start wearing "programming socks" and sleeves and complaining people won't hire a non-passing transgirl. Instant hires.

not all new technologies are fads but big data is

I haven't evolved past Code Artisan yet.

Well how do I become one then?

Attached: 1437335124492.jpg (1280x891, 270K)

>not all new technologies are fads but big data is

>Fad
I saved 4 billions last year for a major airline company by showing them how their ticket pricing was making them lose money
It was just 600 lines in Python

stop whining bro.

Elaborate friend. I’m striving for a data science position with my python skills.

That was my one whine today, I'm done whining now.

I want to be a qt female developer.
But I have a schlong...
What should I do, OP?

>Elaborate friend. I’m striving for a data science position with my python skills.
Learn linear algebra

I want to become a data scientist. what programming language is actually ubiquitous among data scientists?
my school taught me Matlab but i hate it.
is Julia something I should invest time learning?

Attached: 1526528409201.png (374x535, 244K)

Check
What's next?

I meant more about your particular case. Can you comment on how their ticket prices were costing them so much? What was your approach? I work in biomed research but am always interested to hear how other fields apply data science.

>my school taught me Matlab but i hate it.
Then there's no saving you

so stick with Matlab??? make yourself clear nigger

SQL
i have python and r and a bunch of experience but i don't use sql at work. i get turned down all the time

Regex

Unironically this. The absolute might you wield with regex if you’re actially good with it is insane.

that's not big data, that's regular bi

Yeah you might even be able to parse HTML

>The absolute might you wield with regex if you’re actially good with it is insane.
things webdevs say

Attached: 1521448991607.gif (639x720, 439K)

Isn’t that extremely basic/easy with regex? Or are you just being a smart ass?

not saying it's completely useless, just nowhere near as useful as people think it is

Or people who handle strings a lot to automate shit or analyze text heavy things. Web dev isn’t something I touch.

"Don't parse HTML with regex" is a classic meme
It's very funny, and kind of a little bit true.

Use the official API.

>he's never had to handle data in the form of natural language

Why would one not do this? Because the sheer amount of escapes for certain characters that html relies on?

yeah i've got a couple of books saved to my hard drive

Attached: html_regex_stackoverflow.png (735x690, 79K)

Well shit

Attached: 52CD5ADC-8270-4837-A519-875852C1B41F.png (460x205, 130K)

HTML just isn't the kind of language regex is designed to deal with.
Regex is mostly for long strings of plain text.
HTML has opening and closing tags you need to match, then text in between them that you need to deal with.
It's a very unwieldy process, especially when XML parsers are already a thing.

Oh I get it. Thanks for the info friend.

so how do XML parsers work internally if not using some kind of regex?

>Can you comment on how their ticket prices were costing them so much? What was your approach?

I had the idea that discounting tickets near flight date for fear of not filling the plane was not worth the costs in terms of actually caring for the passengers compared to flying at say 70% load at higher prices.
I was right

you know you can parse text without using regex right
you just loop over the characters

so how much of the 4 billion dollars worth of savings went to you?

how is that better than regex?

Convert to womun and if u r not accepted, just write a code of conduct that says u hav 2 b!

they look at the DOM structure generated by raw HTML text code and navigate it that way instead of just searching through the raw HTML text code directly

well its way faster for one, and if you have modal text formats like xml, html, or any code where you want to retain a state (if you're in a tag, or inside quoted text) regex isn't that suitable

>so how much of the 4 billion dollars worth of savings went to you?

I can fly for free until 2199 if I'm alive

wagecucked

>data scientist
>job
kek

Kek

Attached: Kanye-West-I-Love-It-Video-759x500.jpg (759x500, 21K)

State machines

Attached: Data Sci Wojack.png (1057x500, 243K)

As far as I can tell, it's a fast language with support that's likely to increase.
I'd recommend you make a couple of applications in Julia, see how you like it, but don't force it.

It'll likely be a lot better five/ten years from now.

This is just like people getting into comp sci to "code videogames"

Do you really need to ask this? Python of course.

Also at least as far as I've looked entry level data science jobs pay consistently less than software dev. That's why even though I could apply as a data scientist I always choose software engineer/data mining or software engineer/machine learning as the job title to apply for.

Indians smell

Why are you posting my pics without my consent?

Because I plan on getting paid 130 dollars an hour to do emergency fiber runs

the bubble bursted
nosql is a failure
every RDBMS can do the same if not better in 2018
exploring data is boring and I'm not a fucking tool.
Most companies are trashes and can't structure data for shit

Stay from big data and anything that has data in the title, you're nothing more than glorified sql resquester and you job can and will be fully automated within 3 years.
Learn things about :
>corporate IoT.
And I'm not talking about connecte light bulb or other crap like this but tracking cars, autonomous surveillance drones, 5G networks, connected warehouse, etc.
>AR, VR
AR/VR have a shitttons of commercial use cases outside trashy games like visiting houses from far away, exploring and buiding complexe 3d scenes from within, remote doctors, etc.
>computer vison
deep learning == 5 to 10 billion market within 10 years, don't fall out of the loop now.
>nodejs
yes js is trash but its here to stay and it's easy to make money with little-to-no work.

You've made a big mistake if you graduated in 2018 and you don't have any knowledge in atleast one of these three.

Can't wait for people to realise that nobody clicks on internet ads so that the entire fucking industry collapses

>computer vison
>deep learning == 5 to 10 billion market within 10 years, don't fall out of the loop now.
Why train what will enslave us

I struggle writing code
I don't know what it is, it just is. I end up thinking about a solution for the problem while I'm just starting to write and it balloons out of control with my mind wandering in all possible spaces and how it's better to do it, to end up doing nothing.
I am also retarded when it comes to transpiling but that's wholly unrelated to my absolute ineptitude in writing simple code. I still end up trying my hand at it with euler or advent of code, just without major results

If you got tips, please do

>If you got tips, please do
1. Be born before 1990, so your attention span is not fucked by being born into internet

2. Limit internet to 2h a day

Did one internship in data engineering. I had never been that bored in my life.

>2. Limit internet to 2h a day
brainlet

Those are equivalent to regex

dataquest.io has pretty good data science/analyst programs for R and python.
Khan or similar for math involved in data science such as linear algebra that was already said

Python and R.
Julia is nice to build more complex projects but average data science just need scripts Python/R

if i fell for the studying data science meme how should i prepare myself for when the bubble bursts?
get better at programming for software dev?
get better at statistics for whatever statisticians do? or go towards machine learning

Get a gun license
Get fit enough to run 5 miles at a moment notice
Learn how to filter water

Civilization won't last another 30 years

"Mediocre" is still way too much. Many of these self-taught internet data scientists probably have not ever taken a real statistics course in their life at any level. They just monkey around with python and 9001 "scientific computing" modules at random until something kind of works, statistics and reasoning be damned.

A lot of the ones I have the misfortune of working with couldn't tell you the difference between the median and the mean, and they are employed by the university to do real scientific research. I'm no statistics guru either, having only taken one course of that in my life and even I know more than they do. The worst thing is that they pretend to be experts while devauing others' work.

This is true as well in the shithole known as industry, especially the st*rtup ecosystem.

>be me
>get job at "data science consulting" company

>"yea we use python here. we don't like Java, it's too hard for us"
>"what do you mean, I shouldn't push binaries in the git repository?"
>"no we don't use a build server, because of data compliance reasons"
>"no you're not allowed to use linux. you need to use windows, because we only trust microsoft."
>"so yea anyway I have this new rad idea of data science we could do, but I don't know how to do it algorithmically. do you think you could implement it for me?"

kill me please

but I am, user

Attached: JrjVr6K_400x400-1.jpg (400x400, 18K)

You're mad we make 120k and you make maybe 80

Kek is that Taleb?

I was, but I found a higher paying job

It's not about the money. It's about the fact you faggots have zero respect for others' time and work, and are frequently flat out wrong requiring others to redo your work and waste time, and we're forced to depend on your unskilled labor because some leadership fell for marketing like a bunch of retards.

You would be surprised on just HOW many people do
>Start pushing our corporate solution in google adsense as one part of our product placement strategy
>It's a government compliant invoice solution according to the legal requirements of this country
>We start receiving information from our contact form on the regular
>We start receiving payment information such as credit card numbers
>From our contact form
>Everyone is confused
>We call these people
>They are all old people
>Turns out elderly people mistake our ads as a payment gateway because it has the word invoice in it the moment they're buying products or services on random websites

Attached: 1530894165444.jpg (300x449, 47K)

>others cuck themselves for you
sounds like a chad job

The virgin code monkey

The Chad Data scientist

>the transgression of a child ensures regex wil consume all living tissue (except for HTML which it cannot, as previously prophesied)
i always lose my sides there

>thinking about entry level salary
In tech the finer are things for those who wait. This includes job position.

>Get MIS/IT degree
>compete with MIS, CS, SE, Math, and Stat majors for data science job
>compete with MIS, CS, and SE majors for security job
Yeah nah I'll stick to taking security classes especially since H1-Bs aren't trusted with security

fucking lost
this