Who else here disables paging file?

Who else here disables paging file?

t. 64GB RAM so I don't bother with paging file.

Attached: 1509014519901.png (409x336, 7K)

ofc, other than >encrypting everything there is literally no use for it anymore anyway
terry did not die for this shit

>other than >encrypting everything
what do you mean? is that relevant to paging?

>t. brainlet who doesn't even use 20% of the ram his mommy bought

You can just put the paging file on a drive you don't use dum-dum.

>projecting NEET
actually, for my work I need to sometimes re-enable paging files and set them to 300+GB

for 3D Scanning work

Who else here boost their entire OS off ram?

t. 256GB RAM so I don't bother with an SSD.

I tried that, and it doesn't feel much different than on a fast NVME.

so what was the point of the thread, you retarded mongoloid?

because 99% of the time, I never need that shit. I'm just telling you that example to let you know that I do use my 64GB of RAM and that you should stop projecting your autism to others in assuming no one uses their hardware for work just because you don't.

I tried to do this long ago, but it's a retarded idea. A lot of programs expect it to be there, even if you don't need it, and will behave erratically or perform poorly if the pagefile is not present. I tried to use a 512MB pagefile, but I would still get warnings about "low memory" when playing certain games or running certain programs, despite having almost all of my 16GB of memory free. I eventually settled on a 2GB pagefile, which eliminated most of the problems I encountered.

Another thing people should know about memory is that Windows has "standby" memory which is caching frequently used data to improve load times, and it's SUPPOSEDLY "free" for other programs to use, but in my experience, I will constantly get spammed with low memory warnings while doing shit if most of my memory is on standby. I've taken to running a program that clears the background memory before I run anything resource intensive.

>and will behave erratically or perform poorly if the pagefile is not present.
>16GB free
lmao I have had 64GB for years, en use a lot of different software and I have literally not once had a problem

>16 GB
Pagefile is fairly useless. But if I need one, I'll just use my cheap SSD for page.

Is it even safe to have a pagefile on an SSD lads?
SSDs as we all know have a limit of information re-writes. It is of very high order but it's still there and the swap file gets re-written all the day.

SSD's are cheap as shit now, so you shouldn't care. Also total re-writes have improved.

what software do you use for that?

Most users will never even fill up 16GB of ram, even playing the most bleeding edge games. Go stroke your excess ram e-penis elsewhere. Besides, if you've NEVER had any memory errors or erratic behavior due to the missing pagefile, you're either lying, didn't realize what the problem was, or none of the programs you use expect it to be present.

>bleeding edge games
>/v/eddit
games aren't bleeding edge. People with loads of RAM are people who actually use their computers for serious work.
>e-penis
only relevant to gaymers like you, and not actual adults.

but i do use my hardware for work and i don't disable my pagefile, you triple fucking nigger

I keep it to 2 GiB. Some programs expect a page file.

Attached: Untitled.jpg (2560x1440, 979K)

Lol did you not pay attention in Operating Systems class?

That's great. I have 12 GiB of RAM, do you think I should use a pagefile? Also, do you have cute feet? I would blessed if you could show me your soles.

>12 GiB of RAM
you have to use a pagefile with that amount of RAM.

What size do you recommend?

set it to automatic.

Thanks kind user, have this.

Attached: image_1.jpg (3024x4032, 1.85M)

some games stopped working when I disabled the page file, so dont do it

You seem to be mistaken.

Attached: 1523403920804.jpg (2576x1932, 621K)

I'd set it to 6144 MiB (aka 6 GiB) fixed. Don't set it to dynamic, you will end up with a fragmented pagefile.

oh, my bad.
this is bullshit. just set it to dynamic and you'll be fine.

Thanks for the suggestion. Is the pagefile is similar to a Linux swap partition?

>dynamic
>i don't know what fragmentation is. the post.

>BTFO so hard his post gets deleted

I guess it is. I don't know how swap works in Linux. On Windows once you run out of RAM it will start moving things to pagefile to clear space for newly open programs. Once you interact with a program from the pagefile it will be moved back to RAM.

>dumb namefag doesn't know shit and falls for stale meme
Pagefile fragmentation will only be a significant factor in extreme cases. Fragmentation is a factor when large files are read serially, but this almost never happens with the pagefile. Pagefile access is in small blocks of no more than 64K, and this will be usually mixed with access to other files. It matters little if the pagefile is fragmented or not, the disk heads will be moving around in any case.

None of this really matters unless pagefile performance is a limiting factor. And it usually isn't. Most paging doesn't use the pagefile at all. By design the pagefile is used to store data that is not accessed frequently. In most cases the pagefile isn't accessed often enough for it's performance to matter.

In most cases this is just much adu about nothing. The misquided attempts to solve the problem can, and often do, cause serious problems.

Well, if you bitch this much about 6 GiB of space then you've got bigger problems I guess.

I see, so it is similar after all. Thanks.

did you even read it? I'm not saying 6GB is too big, but sometimes it might be too small, and there is not reason to use a fixed amount in this case and you point in favor of it is a non-argument based on being misinformed and falling for a stale meme.

Please post examples of programs what needs pagefile. I ran into this once, with a game, I don't remember, maybe a Warhammer rts, but it was fixable with an .ini setting. I bet there would be same workarounds for others, if not the small amount of RAM the problem.