/spg/ - Smartphone General

Notch-kia 7.1 Plus Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: nokia-7-1-plus-tasarimi-shiftdelete-1.jpg (2048x1824, 387K)

Other urls found in this thread:

aliexpress.com/item//32899562899.htm
gsmarena.com/deals_samsung_galaxy_note9_down_to__euro700_note8_to__euro474-news-33393.php
ebay.fr/rpp/promotions-evenements/Ventes-Flash-Smartphones
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What are some things an iPhone user would miss after switching to Android? .

usa
mint mobile
no notch or small/hidable notch
headphone jack
$500 new or used
ty

Mi8 looking tasty, even has NFC.
Appreciated, too bad the global version 128Gb is out of budget, but I'm figuring the 64 GB version will do.
>inb4 it's exclusively channeled thru telecomms

maybe imessage if your friends have iphones.

>buy the pocomeme
>perfect hardware
>shit software
When the fuck will I be able to escape the MIUI jail? I can't stand it anymore
I downloaded by accident the latest version (which was already installed) and tried to reinstall it, just to see what would have appended.
The little bastard removed Magisk root and twrp.
Also I'm dying with these notifications. Please, lineage, come soon

Thinking about getting a Galaxy S9 around Christmas, lightly used or new open box from eBay, around $400 or $450.
Worth it?

He would have at least $500 in his hands.

Have you tried MIUI 10? I hear it's a big improvement

I'm a eurofag so everyone is on Whatsapp anyway

I have an SE now which is well priced but I think I want something with a 6" screen in the future but the new iPhones are ridiculously overpriced.

>Also I'm dying with these notifications. Please, lineage, come soon
Same, holy fuck it's bad
I've set all my important apps to no battery optimization, allow autoboot, all permissions, allow all notifications, every fucking thing but the notifications STILL don't work when the screen is turned off. after being off for a bit I just don't get any notifications until I turn it on again.
I have no idea how other people can stand MIUI when it completely shits itself with something as basic as notifications.

S7 or Redmi Note 5? Both same price.
Also, is the screen of the Meme Note 5 good? In terms of color accuracy.

Are there any US based phone companies besides Apple and (((blu)))?

Doesn't MIUI 10 have anti-rollback that hardbricks your phone if you try to go back to 9?

I think it depends on the device. You can always check it with a simple adb command

So I gots me a Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite but damn. I bought a cheap chinese glass screen protector for it and these fucking things end two inches short of the edge of the screen and don't even adhere properly at the top and bottom. What do I need to look for so I can get a proper screen protector? Does anyone make good plastic screen protectors anymore?

Essential

Looking for a phone to replace my aging Galaxy S5.

Carrier: Phone must have official support for Verizon network. Currently on StraightTalk.
Required: Unlockable bootloader, preferably officially from the manufacturer.
I prefer small screen sizes, budget = up to $800.

I think I'll be getting a pixel 3 when they come out, just wondering if there were any other good options I was missing.

Don't forget that someone puts their free time into developing custom ROMs, often for very minimal donations if any at all. Besides, the device hasn't been out for even a month.

I just use a plastic case and no screen protector at all, no problems for the paat 6 years since the phone falls on the corner of the case. Way better than a protector. You are with a cheap phone now, give it a try and you will never again use a protector.

XZ2 Compact, but you're probably better off waiting for the Pixel 3

Why do the Nokia phones have two Nokia logos?

>having notch with a big ass chin
WHY?

to make sure everyone sees how easy it is to sell you 90s/00s nostalgia

Because of this

Is Resurrection Remix a good OS?
Thinking I should get it on my G6 to get rid of the android botnet, anyone have any experience with it?

Considering getting a used Note 8 for 650 CAD since my phone rn is shitting the bed, would I be better off getting a pixel 2 or just waiting until the pixel 3 is released or is the Note 8 a genuinely good phone?

What's the charger of the older Sony models (specifically the Xperia Z2) called? Not the USB side obviously.

Just picked up this guy. Some Jew tried cut me in line. Had to step in front of him.

Attached: image.jpg (4032x3024, 2.17M)

>that box image makes you think there's no notch
Shouldn't that count as misleading advertising?

I don't know why are they trying to hide it like that. The whole smartphone market is copying it from them, they should embrace it.

Essential PH-1 on Amazon is smaller than it's screen size suggests

i can get a new phone tomorrow

should I go for the xs max or note 9?

because they try to market their devuces as being "different" from everyone else's, they know they started the trend, they're attempting seperation

why only those two?
K would suggest the LG V35+ if you want a big screen from a non-chinese brand

Wait for Pixel 3

That’s precisely why they did it. Everyone copied them

Join the Xs maxterrace

android fags btfo

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 1.42.19 PM.png (430x288, 68K)

I'd say Note 9 unless you already own an iphone

when will the shitty notch trend die

when apple comes up with another gimmick for everyone else to rip off

I heard the next generation iPhone will do away with any charging cable and all data and charging will be done wireless. Semms plausible really., almost courageous.

they'll just put the notch on both sides

>apple users getting cancer over wireless charging
nice

I got my Xiaomi Redmi 5A in the mail

Attached: IMG_20180921_112754.jpg (4048x3036, 2.78M)

>aliexpress.com/item//32899562899.htm

Thanks user, but this will take ages, something faster?

And while I know this is 99% Homo, is there something 97% Homo (it has a gold tie where the camera is supposed to be)

That's what I'd do if I were designing it. Remove the side completely so that the front and back glass connect directly. Charging done wirelessly, esim only, volume done by sliding on the sides of the screen and power up by shaking the phone to replace the buttons. Still no waterproofing because fuck you.

planning to buy pocophone f1

Depends what country you in, just search Note 9 furry case or rabbit case on eBay, Amazon etc. bring a load up

Price?

Good choice sir

but the essential phone was the first one with a notch

i just bought this waiting for it to ship. would it be a big improvement on my s6 in terms of use? it doesnt have wireless ac which is a bit fucking shit i didnt realise until i had bought. (and i researched).

108.08$ shipped to my region

Attached: IMG_20180921_114231.jpg (4048x3036, 2.69M)

my samsung phone just rebooted itself while playing pokemon go today. Its 3 years old now. Should i be worried and start looking for a new one. It runs fine but it does get slowdowns at times and lags.

what does /spg/ think of sharps last year release

Attached: sharps2.jpg (1000x1000, 49K)

Is it curve edge? If yes nope doesn't exist, i put tempered on my redmeme note. They don't make a tempered and screen filter fit into curve screen edge.

Emmc soon dead, symptoms of early bricking/bootloop.

Anyone here know why erica griffin rarely review phone anymore? I like her review a lot. She's the only reviewer seems using device as a dailies phone.

gay

best midrange smartphone for under 300 euro?

>massive chin with a logo
>notch
Their own model from like 4 years ago did it better.

Best rom for Moto G4 Plus? Planning on using it as a phone for Pokemon Go.

Don't you have GPS issues? Mine heats the fuck up whenever using the GPS for an extended period of time (i.e. anything longer than sending my location), on "heavy" apps, like google maps, phone heats until it freezes and I gotta reboot it and let it cool down, and it lags something awful for a bit.

is this bait hmmm
gsmarena.com/deals_samsung_galaxy_note9_down_to__euro700_note8_to__euro474-news-33393.php

I own a Pixel 2 XL that I bought with Bitcoin.
Couldn't be more satisfied.
Perfect phone.

Sup Jow Forums. I'm thinking of buying either the essential ph-1 or nokia 6.1 to replace my cracking nextbit robin. I will be using Mint, which is an MVNO of T-Mobile. Both phones are in my budget of ~300 dollars. For those of you who have each phone, how do you like them? Which would you recommend?

How come there are so few Pixel users in /spg/?

I've had one since December, definitely the best phone I've had so far

>Pricey
>Jewgle
>No headphone jack

The Note8 is pretty good. Just don't expect much ROM support.

That's a lot for a used phone, doesn't it cost almost the same when new?

They are the ultimate patrician phones so of course they're rare. Heck, even you have to pay straight cash for them instead of financing from your carrier so these are not the phones for the poor.

Lol reminds me what happen to me few weeks ago.
>be me
>work in a phone store
A guy comes in with a phone. S9+ tells me that he got it from eBay.good deal but cannot find google play.
>impossible let's me have a look.
Keep looking .cannot find.check in apps not existing. Wtf?
Ask him it its OK to format it.
He says yes.
Cannot format. Wtf???
Check again. It's a stolen display model. I mean it would be still possible to flash it but don't know anybody anybody in town who can do it and we are not allowed .

Thanks, looking into it.

Just got a Nokia 5, with the juice it has i think i am set for another 5 years, also it will be compatible with Sailfish OS...

Wait until the end of the year when everything is out.

the crystal compared to this is trash, sharp is actually doing meh. Just wanted to see if anyone knew about these things.

What's the best android file manager?

Attached: nM7kqct1.jpg (1439x1374, 204K)

An older build of ES

Is MIUI 10 worth updating to or not yet?
I've read people disliking the notifications/status bar or something and gestures are still poop?
Granted, it's a bit too early to say, and I've no idea how many people actually use MIUI here, but I'm just wondering if it is

Check me out Jow Forums, use me as your guinea pig.

I bought a Sony Xperia L1 b/c I needed a replacement phone for my Moto X Pure (RIP). This phone is the biggest $150 piece of crap I've ever bought. It's slow, it fucking stutters playing YouTube videos, it's slow, the colors are awful, it drops calls (might be because I filed my sim card tho lmao), can barely hold a charge, and it's just slow. Besides looking cool (I've gotten compliments from its looks), it sucks and shouldn't even be on the market.

I have a budget of $450, maybe even a little more. I honestly don't use smartphones at all besides chatting, browsing 2-3 websites, and watching YouTube videos before bed. That's it. What I want:
>unlocked Android
>Amazing camera
>1080-1440 display
>good battery life
>has SD card (and if not, at least 64gb of HDD space)

Any recommendations? Literally anything is better than what I have now. Thanks.

Attached: 1533954232267.jpg (1072x1053, 101K)

Asus File Manager

updates

Thanks user.
>$173
So what's the catch?
Certainly it can't be THAT good at this price (I really don't know)?

Attached: 173.jpg (1286x667, 112K)

Is everyone putting notches in the display just so they can sell phones with pop up cameras in the next product cycle?

Attached: 2edfc34b-8be7-4ca8-8d8e-52f98f42fa83..jpg (680x806, 112K)

I tested the Redmi 5A with a US Mobile sim and I was surprised it works

Camera looks ok

Attached: IMG_20180921_144331.jpg (4160x3120, 1.22M)

Isn't that one filled with ads?
Where can I get it? Is it open source?

I'm holding out on Miui 10 on my phone until lineage comes out. Miui 9 was absolute dogshit.
10 is much better. At least notifications are decent like stock android ones. Thank God.

I really don't know, I'm not a pleb with no ad blocker.
But if it is, sorry fampai.

Do you need to wipe data to upgrade to 10?

Are you on global? If you are I think you can just straight update it. I have the Xiaomi.eu version and I just dirty flashed over their miui 9. No problem. I'd still recommend you to do a TWRP backup before updating.

Anyone else felt that iOS has been lagging behind Android in terms of UI?

I deleted the comment because I didnt read your budget, there are probably even better phones for that budget. (Pocophone F1 from Xiaomi?)
With that being said, RN5 is a "i5 2500k" of smartphones, obviously not the best phone (processor) for it's time, but price/performance wise it's just amazing.
Xiaomi is a chink brand that relies on people spreading the word about their stuff, rather than spending obscene amounts of money on advertising. This allows them to put great specs at a more competitive price tag, so everyone looking for the best phone for, let's say $200, will given enough research, find that xiaomi phones fill the gap better than anyone else can.
One of the catches is that apparently the default OS, which works just fine; apparently has backdoors for chink government or something and they track&sell your data? But you can use a community developed OS, if that's one of your fears.
Apparently it's also pretty easy to unlock the bootloader on that thing? (This is all out of my area of expertise to be honest with you) which is just another reason to like the phone.

Lads I finally bought a new (used) phone.
>be me poorfag
>researching for years before finally set on what I want
>used s5 G800F (Its fullsized euro LTE version)
>has one of best LinageOS support
>letsgoboys
>install Lineage 15.1 (Stock Android Oreo 8.1 on a 4 year old device)
>install yalp and fdroid
>zero google services
>waterproof
>NFC
>wireless charging
>16GB plus 128GB micro SD card
>removable battery

How'd I do boys? I love this thing.

Try getting the lemon battery pack

There's some good deals there:
ebay.fr/rpp/promotions-evenements/Ventes-Flash-Smartphones

Pocophone F1 6GB/128GB for 299€, Redmi Note 5 4GB/64GB for 159€, OnePlus 6 8GB/128GB for 449€, Galaxy S9 for 489€...

The weight - iphones are fucking heavy

the easiest is miui - it's basically a ripoff of the ios

>be me poorfag
>researching for years before finally set on what I want
I think those years would have been better spent figuring out how to get out of poverty

that's all xiaomi screen protectors, because the edges are just barely curved or something

I find it pathetic how mutts are jewed by the networks. Here you buy literally any phone, insert sim card and it just werks

Attached: 14448844_1777996919137609_8997661942333888659_n.png (279x356, 74K)

MIUI is shameless, it even has the app that can migrate settings from an iphone for those making the switch.