The truth has been spoken, kids:

The truth has been spoken, kids:
tonsky.me/blog/disenchantment/

Read and cry!

Software used to be good before it became trendy for brownies to write it, but the main principle stays:
If it's not running on a Core2Duo ™ ThinkPad ™, there is something wrong with it.

Attached: software-developer-indian-professional-programmer-sitting-his-table-big-monitor-104002886.jpg (800x534, 44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

medium.com/@jdan/i-peeked-into-my-node-modules-directory-and-you-wont-believe-what-happened-next-b89f63d21558
hackernoon.com/css-is-fine-its-just-really-hard-638da7a3dce0
twitter.com/jdan
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

He is not wrong, there used to be a 5ms rule, meaning that if your webpage was not completely loaded in 5ms then you are doing it wrong and users just navigate away.

Now I have seen sites that take 5 SECONDS to load..

Brown people ruin everything they touch. News at 11...

depressing stuff!

>5 SECONDS to load..
Go to youtube and see how fast you can see the actual video recommendations or comments.

If I go to newground.com forums (not updated since the 90s) it instantly loads like it did in the 90s.

The fuck are the web pages even doing? I get a blank generic picture before I'm shown the actual thumbnails (remember when it was instant?) and the comments only show up when you scrawl down and you need to wait for them to load (remember when it was instant?).

Who let browns in?

>Linux kills random processes by design. And yet it’s the most popular server-side OS.
What did he mean by that?

(((Who)))...

>The fuck are the web pages even doing?
Sending all your info to big brother

>core2duo thinkpad
Oh how cute. Jobless poorfags cannot afford even the cheapest modern hardware and get left in the dust, then cry about it.
What about the pentium 4 people?
What about the i386 people?

Attached: Untitled.png (1213x823, 60K)

I'm brown and I use a X61s as main machine

>Oh how cute. Jobless poorfags cannot afford even the cheapest modern hardware and get left in the dust, then cry about it.
OP is right. And you're an idiot. Just because americucks can get marketed into buying the newest the most expensive machines that do exactly the same as machines did a decade ago, doesn't mean 2/3rds of the world doesn't use these old computers. Check other (more) developed countries.
>B-but m-muh 300 million of people.
USA is a drop in an ocean in terms of population. It's just the dumbest and the easiest to milk market. Also mobile phone browsing people. Older people. etc. These are clients too, if you can't understand that computers aren't gaming LED battle stations, there's no place for you on Jow Forums.

I'm disenchanted with everything in IT. I don't know what else to do tho.

>the newest the most expensive machines
You can get a 2200G for less than $80 new. That's nothing.
>that do exactly the same
These machines can run the most javascript infested website without a hitch, and it looks and feels great.
>mobile phone
Use an app or the mobile version of the website.

Overall, you poor people need to get a fucking job and stop whining. You don't deserve to be personally catered to. Poor people are the worst, Jesus.

You completely ignored the fact that I'm talking about outside of USA.

Why is this not in the background? Let me at least watch the content you NSA fucks!

Yeah we could have keyfall speed loading of pages and useful internet but instead the speed is gonna stay constant, the visible (user) features are gonna disappear and I'll need to do a double take on each serious use of the network because loading a page is now a security risk with "sane defaults".

Blame apis, libraries, frameworks, and other meme shit that developers went overboard crazy in using just because they got lazy and let someone else do all the hard work.
The author's on the fucking money, but I blame lazy devs. Instead of building the bare essentials you need, lazy faggots instead import a bunch of stupid third-party shit that runs around and does god knows what, just to accomplish a small handful of tasks. The fucking bloat, man...
Then, to really hit the point home, things have gotten so far out of fucking control we need package managers to keep all our third-party shit organised and up-to-date.
Bloat after bloat... lazy fucking devs. REEE

What, your country has an embargo on semiconductors? Get a fucking job.
>loading of pages
A question of milliseconds if you use an adblocker.

The author of this article is a furry pajeet

>complains about reinventing the wheel
>recommends a text editor that's reinventing the wheel
lol

>I want to take pride in my work. I want to deliver working, stable things. To do that, we need to understand what we are building, in and out, and that’s impossible to do in bloated, over-engineered systems.
A fucking short and sweet explination of why being a dev is getting shitter and shitter

>A question of milliseconds if you use an adblocker.
no, because beyond obvious malicious resources, the actual content is also held hostage by stupid scripts.
It's that way on youtube, it's that way on amazon, hell right here on Jow Forums if you do not block the native 1st party script and replace it with another the CSS of the page doesn't load and the site breaks.
But they're not going back because if they did the site could be scraped without an api and people could school their asses on design with frontends helt together with spit and string.

Attached: photo.gif (320x360, 35K)

>What, your country has an embargo on semiconductors? Get a fucking job.
You're either paid shill for AMD or dumb, which makes both the same in the end. Final answer: older computers and parts are more common outside of USA. In developed countries too. It's a fact. You can call me poor but you won't change that. As programmers we should optimize the content to work efficiently on all machines - more customers or viewers.
>but I don't want indian poos or these starved germans on my website
You're just dumb. Tell a company that due to your Jow Forums shaped world view of a 13 years old kid, you believe that they should earn less and exclude customers.

I'm not going to waste any more time, unlike to you, nobody's paying me for this.

Good thread love but he's a retard

You proved yourself to be a scraper, a beggar, and a miser. Look at facebook, instagram, popular news websites, vimeo, etc... All of these are JS-heavy and run just perfectly, and aren't about to shut down.
>we should optimise for dead weight
No, that's low-pay manual labour. I'm not doing that. Are you doing that - no right?

Wow even the shitty website has bloat.

Attached: Untitled.png (753x557, 45K)

Top kek
That's enough for me to discard whatever that soi is babbling about.

Russky, actually.

>remote fonts
yikes

Error, call of none procedure Who. Try '(((Who)))

>primary/secondary education kills your imagination
>further education kills your motivation
>job market kills your spirit
in the end, all you are is a productive NPC that shits out code good enough to pay the bills, but bad enough to require constant maintenance.

Newfag here. What are you using to find out whether or not a site is using bloat? What would bloat classify as in regards to this?

uMatrix

I always keep the ad blocker on.
Try a website without umatrix, then with everything off.
Turn features on one by one until the site functions visibly the same. What's left is bloat.
Pic related is what I found to be okay.

Attached: Untitled.png (704x701, 57K)

I always block "Other" universally by default. Is that bad?

>software industry is 90% white/asian men
>bRoWn PeoPLe rUiN EvEryThinG

Come home, white man.

Attached: freedos-logo-100707467-large.jpg (700x383, 21K)

You've 3 seconds to name a good C++ compiler and IDE, x64 mandatory.
No idea, never learnt what that is.

g++ and GNU Make

They don't have binaries for freedos. In fact, they're not listed to work on freedos.

guess who's to blame for this...

Attached: 384005.jpg (480x480, 23K)

Hey that's my answer.

Thanks

Underrated.

gcc doesnt support 16bit targets

But i can afford a new machine and i'm willing to upgrade.
There's not a single decent device that qualifies as an upgrade from my C2D Thinkpad though, 0 results on notebookcheck's search feature.

Attached: ss5g.png (204x190, 68K)

Attached: Untitled.png (1211x731, 54K)

Why do people act as if "just buy a new computer" is a solution to shit software?

>this road is flooded with shit!
>haha just buy an amphibious vehicle poorfag

That's how Venice worked when it was one of the richest regions in the world.

Yes, that's a processor upgrade.
A laptop isn't a processor though.

What else could you possibly want in a laptop? A retina scanner? A blowjob?
What are your crappy criteria? A serial port?

>brownies

Dude that's not cool

openbsd is unironically the answer, it's the opposite of this spaghetti code garbage

It's much easier to query indexed html posts by their id than to perform a search query on youtube's enormous video database
Also all that fucking javascript bloat I hate it so much

Just a decent upgrade from my 11 years old thinkpad.
So pretty much a 2-in-1 convertible with a 4:3 or 16:10 screen, 1920x1200 minimum resolution (this thing has 1400x1050 IPS, from 2007) + pen support, quad core processor and at least 8h of battery life.

I remember reading about how Tom Jennings was adamant to keep FidoNet's code smaller than 64KB. That's something unthinkable today.

Lenovo THinkpad X1 Yoga

This shit is getting out of control!

Attached: Capture.png (519x32, 2K)

But i only see FHD and WQHD for the 3rd gen which i assume is the latest one, price is not an issue.

If you absolutely must have a 16:10 or 4:3 screen, you can letterbox it just fine.

That when your AirBnbForDogs™ webapp suddenly sees spike of traffic generated by being featured on HackerNews®, your linux server might decide that AirBnbForDogs™ process should be killed instead of AirBnbForCats™ and instead of people waiting few seconds to get their requests served, they no longer have to wait - their requests won't get served.

This is very far from spontaneous symmetry breaking and lisp should die already.

I have that one. It's garbage. Had to reconnect the Ribbon cable from the motherboard to the hard drive.

It's for tablet stuff while using it in portrait mode, 9:16 is fucking awful for reading pdfs/taking notes and if i'm letterboxing everything then i'm paying for screen space that i won't ever use.
The Lenovo Miix 520-12 would be fucking great and an instabuy if the battery life wasn't so shit (5:30h, this old thing lasts ~3:30h) so i'm still waiting for a suitable upgrade to appear.

He's talking about the OOM killer, which is rational when you have no swap...

Honestly, it's such a non-point. Every OS has to deal with OOM, either by not allowing any more memory allocs or killing the most egregious process.

Well when your machine starts swapping memory in and out it can slow down to a crawl. Infact I had some cases where the machine might aswell not run at all. That being said overcommit and oomkiller isnt that great eithet.

I actually didn't know that linux behaved like that. It was a very interesting read.

>muh consumerism
no, these faggots make these bloated slow websites and it needs to stop

See Every OS does that. Not necessarily by killing processes, but failing memory allocs, which may well crash many programs or force them to abort execution entirely.

The only reason you don't notice on Windows is that the pagefile is enabled by default, but if you disable it you have the same problem as Linux with no swap partition.

Tипичный pyccкий зaдpoт нoeт y ceбя блoжикe. What else is new?

Well the modern paradigm is that developer effort is more expensive than hardware so if you can do something easily that's a little bloated, it's a better option than doing something hard which is more optimized.
The slogan of modern programs is "premature optimization is the root of all evil."

this, "don't optimise until you really need to do so"

Interesting, and does linux not have a pagefile like solution? I know that some VM servers don't have hard any drive space to attempt such a scheme.

is xi really that good?

>the comments only show up when you scrawl down
Why should they load the comments for every single video viewed? Why can't they dynamically load the comments only for the user that scrolls down to see them?

medium.com/@jdan/i-peeked-into-my-node-modules-directory-and-you-wont-believe-what-happened-next-b89f63d21558

Swap partitions are most commonly used. Most distributions will automatically create one and add it to fstab during installation unless the user manually partitions his drives.

If you want a page file like on Windows, you can quite easily just create zero'd out file with dd:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/path/to/swapfile bs=4096 count=250000

For a swap file (exactly the same as page file) of 1GB size. Then simply fix its permissions and run swapon:

# chown root:root /path/to/swapfile
# chmod 600 /path/to/swapfile
# swapon /path/to/swapfile

If you want persistent swapon you just add it to fstab and it'll be automatically used as swap space every time you boot.

>all those failed commands to count lines with wc
Holy shit, the absolute state of javascript developers. How do you end up this incompetent?

The point isn't that everyone should be using a Core 2 Duo. The point is that a fucking word processor or chat program shouldn't be unusable on one. A modern machine running these types of programs should run almost exactly as well as one that isn't because the resources needed are negligible. It's not a finite element analysis with 4GB matrices, it's a fucking text editor that has to handle input at a few kB/s and present a 2d graphic every 16ms.

>I then counted the number of dependencies brought in by this package, followed by the total code size, using two commands I absolutely didn’t just look up on StackOverflow.

$ ls node_modules | wc -l
$ du -sh node_modules
17M node_modules

HOW ARE YOU A FUCKING """PROGRAMMER""" AND YOU HAVE TO LOOK UP BASIC FUCKING COMMANDS LIKE THIS, HOLY SHIT

The absolute fucking state of JS brainlets, holy fucking hell

>A coding slip-up so unforgivable that I nearly threw out my MacBook and swore off web development forever.
Oh right, he's a fucking macfag. Of course he is.

Jesus fucking christ, man. How do these people live with themselves? I expect more technical competence from a god damn ape.

even worse than the ridiculous bloat is all the fucking pseudo pop-ups "OH YOU'RE READING AN ARTICLE WANT TO SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER BRUH MAYBE LET US SEND YOU NOTIFICATIONS BRUH MAYBE YOU WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THESE TOP 10 WEIRD TRICKS TO MAKE YOUR DICK BIGGER BRUH" and autoplaying videos embedded on everything.. even with ad blocking sometimes you get them.

He's really good though. He said so himself. He has a trophy.
hackernoon.com/css-is-fine-its-just-really-hard-638da7a3dce0

I made it so that no videos autoplay in my browser. The occasional inconvenience is worth never having to hear shitty cooking videos and daytime talkshows.

Tonsky honk

>He's really good though. He said so himself. He has a trophy.
He also claims he's a fucking good programmer by making fun of Jonathan Blow pointing out he's a fucking retard on his twitter:

twitter.com/jdan

Between this fucking incompetent brainlet and Jonathan Blow, I would bet Jonathan Blow any fucking day of the week.

It only takes 10% to ruin everything. See Gresham's law.

>Linux kills random processes by design
can someone clarify this statement from the blog post

See

thx user

I learned a lot, thanks.

>Look at me! I'm negative!

He's pretty much stating the obvious, EVERYBODY knows that current software is complete bullshit, but apathy set in. No one cares anymore. Why write efficient software when we have so much more space to fill up? If I had a choice, I'd love to use a super efficient OS, but my needs demand I use Windows. Wouldn't it be lovely if Microsoft cut all the fat? A man can dream.

It's in the same vein as resource waste. Why should we recycle when it's cheaper to ship it to China? Why should we build desalination plants when we can empty out reservoirs and deplete the groundwater to the point of disaster? Why should we use renewable power sources when we can just burn more fossil fuels for cheaper? No one gives a fuck until bad things actually happen.

Typical Russian wanker is whining in his bloggie.

I share his complaints. However people have choice. I run Linux and use console vim on a quite modern and fast hardware. I just don't like to spend my cpu cycles on bells and whistles.

I've done a teardown on a Gen2 x1 yoga, what ribbon cable? The M2 socket is right on the mobo

Don't fall for the 2-in-1 meme, user. It was fun to try, but now I barely ever use mine as anything other than a laptop. Plus *most* of them are limited to 15W TDP, so come with either Y or U core.

>It was fun to try
I've fell for the "2-in-1 meme" for almost 9 years and it's a great meme.
>now I
But i'm not you, different people have different needs and want different things.
>Plus *most* of them are limited to 15W TDP, so come with either Y or U core.
That's not an issue, my ThinkPad has a 17W C2D. I want a laptop not a portable workstation.

>scroll
>wait
>scroll
>wait
>scroll
>wait
>scroll
>wait
>scroll
>still fucking waiting
>wait
>wait