PowerPC mac

Just got this free. I hope it can be of use at lan parties with quake or something, but are these good for anything now? Were they good back in their day? This one has 1ghz g4, 1gb ram, and radeon 7500. It seems a lot more sluggish than pcs with similar specs.

I know some people remember the powerpc era fondly, but why?

Attached: 20180921_135805.jpg (2560x1440, 1.11M)

Other urls found in this thread:

leopardrebirth.net
macintoshgarden.org
macintoshgarden.org/sites/macintoshgarden.org/files/apps/eMac_Install.toast_.sit
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's a good way to escape the x86 botnet. And don't fret, there is a PowerPC port of Gentoo for you to install.

It's time.

Attached: 1522407925806.jpg (250x252, 14K)

>I know some people remember the powerpc era fondly, but why?
Indoctrination.

Attached: 1532212474058.png (610x1054, 160K)

Why would we not remember fondly the last time x86 had a challenger on the home computer platform?

x86 never had a challenger

Moron.

SAVE US BASED SCATMAN

>indoctrinated mactoddler calling anyone else a moron

Attached: 1511771462194.png (480x636, 396K)

>x86 year old being delusional as usual
Go suck more Intel cock

I tried installing Ubuntu and Fedora but neither of them displayed anything on the crt after installing. Even if I do install it, the computer is really slow anyway and i just want to use it for old games.

back in 2004, i just thought of the macs as inferior computers. I probably enjoy them more now as a curiosity than I would have as a tool back then. I will say this emac has a lovely screen! How anyone preferred the LCD imac G4 to this is beyond me.

Honestly, PPC Macs might be one of our only way to escape the Jewish x86-64 botnet. Install Linux and be on your way.

Check this out OP

leopardrebirth.net

i don't prefer the sierra theme to the tiger one, but the app store thing looks cool if maybe sketchy. but i have nothing on this computer besides sauerbraten so i'll give it a try.

>It seems a lot more sluggish than pcs with similar specs.
>macshit
Found your problem.

As a coder from that era this article is #FakeNews. The G3's and G5's really were faster than contemporary x86 chips, even if you used the best compilers on both.

>I know some people remember the powerpc era fondly, but why?
comfy OS
no sjws
no codes of conduct
far fewer pajeets
normies weren't really on the internet
code was expected to be efficient and you were rewarded for efficient code
if you wrote assembler PowerPC offered a sane instruction set

Honestly, aside from sjws the thing that makes me hate modern computing the most is code bloat. As but one example an old version of Office on a G5 with a hdd will run circles around modern Office on a quad core i7 with an ssd. That's pathetic.

>It seems a lot more sluggish than pcs with similar specs.
X was happiest with a G5. If you can boot Mac OS 9 it's not as stable but far faster.

macintoshgarden.org

I think at this point I just wish I could get hold of a Quad G5 so I can kit it out with max memory, Sonnet SSD cards and a decent gpu. Most of them going on eBay etc. are ridiculously overpriced though.

OK, i have been trying to install the classic environment here in 10.4 for hours and have made no progress. As I understand it, you're supposed to take the Mac OS 9.2 system folder and extract it to the root of your OS X boot drive, then open the Classic panel in system preferences and select that folder from this list.

I tried 9.2 files from two different .dmg files - a system install disk and OS9General.dmg, but I can not get that directory to show up in the control panel. So I can't select it. Sometimes Classic tries to boot from the image itself, but it won't work because the image is read only. If I eject the image and try to start an OS 9 app, I just get an error saying no system folder is detected. Even though I have a whole OS 9 install disk on the root! What the hell?

Attached: Picture 1.png (713x614, 143K)

>X was happiest with a G5
Leopard was, but Tiger runs absolutely perfectly on even older G4s.

Do you have a partition for OS 9? If you don't want to bother you could install OS 9 in Sheepshaver and get the system folder from there.

Try doing a full install from an OS 9 disc.
macintoshgarden.org/sites/macintoshgarden.org/files/apps/eMac_Install.toast_.sit

thats sick as hell

Dead link. Also i have the 2004 emac that won't install OS 9. I would like to do that if I had an earlier model. Funny thing, the DVD drive is broken and the OS X install disk cannot be ejected. I have actually never seen it. I could replace the drive though.

It's been a long-ass time since I worked with a Mac capable of running OS 9 even in Classic mode, but if I'm not mistaken, OS 9's System Folder had to be "blessed" (special HFS flag IIRC) so the Mac could recognize it as Mac OS. There are also some things that OS X supports that can trip up OS 9/Classic, like case-sensitive HFS+.

Damn this makes me nostalgic. I need to hit up craigslist and find an old powerbook or something.

wait...if it's an HFS flag but I am using a UNIX format file system, can I use classic at all?

Why would you not use HFS, baka?!

Also, here is a little tip for anyone who wants to fool around with these things. Maybe you can easily get fast drives on the g5s or a cf card in the laptops, but the eMac is a pain because its usb is version 1.1 and it has an IDE hard drive, which can not be replaced unless you want to tear the whole thing apart, because the drive is actually in the center of the computer and not in the memory access bay. This slow ass hard drive will limit you no matter what you are doing, and when you are trying a bunch of different programs and images out, it will cost you hours. You can get a faster drive by buying a firewire sata enclosure, but what I'm doing is using the nearby PC. Most of the software it runs is on the PC's sata hard drive. Even for something like stuffit expander, the 1 ghz g4 is still bottlenecked by the hard drive. Your choice is IDE (133 mbps which is still faster than the drive), 100 mbps Ethernet, and ideally 400 mbps firewire. I don't really want to spend money on this though. If I spend $20 I could have had a better computer.

Attached: 1530328867119.png (640x480, 463K)

linus torvalds said it was horrible

Attached: 1525932456609.png (500x256, 218K)

No, that's not gonna work. Mac OS 9 can only boot off of HFS or HFS+, Classic or otherwise.

have fun. i picked up as a out of nowhere gift a g3. i also ended up adopting a g4 and g5.

i will try making a new partition.

He's right, but it's the only thing that works 100% of the time with Macs.

Might work, but I wouldn't recommend even booting OS X off of UFS. While UFS was technically supported and worked, it was never optimized and ran like crap. Lots of applications will bug out on UFS, too. The only reason it really existed was for compatibility with old school *NIX stuff that couldn't cope with HFS.

Attached: 1523746855836.png (960x540, 538K)

Attached: 1514589920732.png (259x194, 84K)

Attached: 1535460811292.png (225x225, 95K)

Attached: 1511000240428.png (249x203, 88K)

Attached: 1532380253967.png (251x201, 71K)

okay, this is epic

I finally booted classic by creating a blank read/write disk image with disk utility and putting the system folder in there. this should work regardless of the host file system, although UFS wouldn't let me make one bigger than 3GB, i guess it will be ok for a few games.

I own a Quad G5 as a daily driver. It's using less than 1.5GB of RAM with my usual set of programs open. Maxing RAM is pointless.

Attached: ram.png (652x166, 25K)

Attached: 1513802736745.png (194x259, 93K)

WTF web browser you guys using?

Got my dad's old powerbook G4 lying about somewhere, is it worth buying a new battery and booting up again? I fondly remember playing Deimos Rising and Otto Mattic on the old PPC machines.

i'm sure he is using tenfourfox. personally i don't even try to browse on the emac. tenfourfox is horribly slow, camino is faster but is 7 years out of date and can't captcha, pretty much everything else is a joke afaik. i didn't try every browser in that ppc app store but i have no interest.

CRT Mac's were based. The only Apple products I ever wanted.

Leopard WebKit and Roccat are still good.

It's never a bad thing to find new uses for old hardware! You're keeping it out of a dump for a little while longer and deriving some value from it.

BASED SCATMAN

Attached: 1528012515704.png (259x194, 78K)

SUMMONING BASED SCATMAN

smash it into pieces and throw it away

>scatman cleansing Jow Forums of subhuman appletoddler filth
baste

PowerPC is much better than x86.

>this is what appletoddler untermensch actually believe

Attached: 1516811358710.jpg (677x720, 75K)

>x86 year olds love their backdoored botnet architecture
I bet you use wangblows, too. Wangtard can not

trips of truth

>an appletoddler subhuman calling platforms that get patched "botnets"
>posted from his ancient deprecated toddler toy botnet
lmao

Attached: 1531219736557.png (634x949, 169K)

>x86 year old wangtard thinks he is superior to anyone
Wangblows is by far the worst OS for any architecture or machine. Only pajeets and boomers are retarded enough to touch it. You call PPC machines toys, yet wangblows, your favourite OS, is used for playing with toys (computer games).

Why are these threads always so full of retards

The goy in that video is running wangblows, though.

>t. SEETHING mactoddler

Okay, wangtard. Just go back to your pajeet OS and play with your toys.

ITT the chad scatman vs the virgin applebabby

Attached: 1509369118529.gif (217x217, 1.46M)

What about m68k macs? Are they worth anything?

>macshit
>worth anything

Attached: 1514927667142.jpg (399x385, 28K)

This. You can't even game on it. Does it even support Discord?

MACTODDLERS BTFO

Attached: 1519753608143.gif (640x360, 1.25M)

This is why I only use a watercooled AMD/Nvidia gaming rig. If I'm gonna get my game on I don't want to have to worry about overheating my military grade components.

How can apple babbys even compete?

Attached: 1533358773082.jpg (750x4033, 676K)

Where are the RGB mechanical gaming keyboards? Fucking plebs. How can you get an epic killstreak without a programmable gaming mouse?

This. Appletoddlers still struggling with their one button babby mouse. LMAO

They don't even have the Windows Store so they can't buy Fortnite or Call of Duty. What do they even use their computers for?

Samefagging

Yes, although no good for modern use outside of running old apps/games

>games
Epic. Simply epic. I gotta get my game on.

>MUH GAYMES
>MUH APEL TOYS

Attached: 1520472250900.png (709x636, 167K)

He's probably a wangtard. That gamer pajeet OS has no value.

I was replying to you, you manchild appletoy gaymer faggot.

No you weren't, scroll up. You need to stop with the epic RGB gaming, it's turning your brain to mush, wangtard.

If I were you I'd buy the original apple kdyboard and mouse. I mean for me the only thing I like avobout old powerpcs is their apple aesthetics. These powerPCs are extremely fucking slow, don't have wifi and aren't compatible with anything unless you install linux. Then it's your choice if you want to install os9/x or linux, I'd go with os9 since it's the fastest available os in these devices.

Why would you ever want to use wifi?

>it's an appletard subhuman thinks he belongs on Jow Forums episode
cringe

Attached: 1510741206261.jpg (483x366, 37K)

Go post this is wangblows threads too.

Go post your gay faggot botnet toys on /lgbt/ where they belong.

Only when wangblows threads go back to /v/

High IQ and quality post right here, thank you for contributing to the thread

Attached: 1524729362497.png (301x167, 67K)

t. S E E T H I N G mactoddler

>he's seriously defending wangblows
Imagine being you.

You must be 12 to think that the early 2000s apple is the same as the 2018 apple. Also you're as retarded as the intel/amd/nvidia shitposters, fuck off to v

>any negative remark about apple is defending migrosert
The ABSOLUTE state of appletoddler manchildren.

Attached: 1534020980424.webm (640x360, 1.48M)

Yet you continue to use a pajeet OS that isn't even POSIX compliant.

How did you know I use macos?

Mac OS is POSIX compliant, you fucking retard.

>this is what appletoddler subhumans actually believe

Attached: 1510755018236.png (506x927, 163K)

>OS 10.3 wasn't POSIX compliant, therefore Mac OS in 2018 is not POSIX compliant
How can you be this retarded? You're definitely a wangtard.

>the 12 year old appletoddler is both technology illiterate and plain old illiterate
Keep on using your cocksmoking OS that's been only compliant for 2 years out of its 15 years of existence while lying about it. LMAO