Keyboard General

Fuck the template edition.

Attached: 375AE3AB-85A8-4A74-A5EA-B0D1DCB79A53.jpg (3264x2448, 1.87M)

Other urls found in this thread:

deskthority.net/workshop-f7/retrobright-2-0-no-more-uv-light-t19220.html
github.com/naps62/ergodox-layout
amzn.com/B000M7725M
winkeyless.kr/product/holtite/
aliexpress.com/item/Switch-LED-hot-swap-32pcs-for-mechanical-keyboard-DIY-keyboard
hktdc.com/suppliers-products/Spring-Loaded-Pogo-Pin/en/1X06R1U3/450035/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Gaterons came in today, holy shit it’s like typing on air. I actually don’t mind a linear somehow

Attached: 0DCEF0FE-CF90-4D92-972A-119606CCDF8E.jpg (3264x2448, 1.64M)

My keycaps got delayed due to gooks getting fucked in the ass by a typhoon or something. Got this jank and mishmash on there until DHL gets on their shit.

Feels weird learning to type again, vim is pretty dank though.

Attached: 9BA65FA0-B57F-4ACC-B72C-2AC9523541DF.jpg (3264x2448, 2.01M)

Wrong image fuck.

What you boys waiting on?

Attached: 1F343D12-41F2-4C6C-93B1-C417BA6F30E3.jpg (1920x1080, 552K)

>tfw typing on cherry mx switches

Attached: 1537386970158.jpg (640x480, 52K)

>What you boys waiting on?
Hopefully assdrop doesn't screw up any of the keys too.

Attached: dev titty.jpg (1500x3000, 318K)

Where do you order keycaps from?

All sorts of places. Kbdfans, mechanicalkeyboards.com, assdrop, the list goes on for a while.

My Apple Keyboard, my Apple Extended Keyboard (converted to USB) and my IBM Model M

The Extended Keyboard is so much better than the Model M but it's really cool anyway

Attached: received_1515305995240861.jpg (1080x1812, 90K)

How do I fix my carpal tunnel

Attached: 1537267671956.png (944x1079, 1.41M)

Should hit those apple board cases & spacebars with some retrobrite m8.

Extended Keyboard on my desk

Attached: IMG_20180615_155808.jpg (4160x3120, 3.52M)

Go see a doctor. Aside from that don't do shit like type while keeping your wrists on a wrist rest.

What's retrobrite? I'm kinda new to the scene

deskthority.net/workshop-f7/retrobright-2-0-no-more-uv-light-t19220.html

It’s beautiful, cleans the shit out of plastic. Used it on a old c64 I had kicking around

Oh, this explains why I haven't been able to find /mkg/

Outemu sky/clears. I just got Halo Royal Clears in today and while they feel great individually on a keyboard I'm not so sure. They aren't just heavy, they feel very stiff. It's unusual and I don't believe the actuation is only 50g. Maybe it's because of the sharp bump but it feels unusual. Maybe it would be better if I replace it with a lighter spring, if it fits, but I don't think I like it. Very tactile though.

i do a lot of programming
what's a good keyboard?

Whatever board is fully programmable. It being able to run QMK would be nice.

Stop texting and using phone.
Get a split keyboard.
Take a break from typing.

Take Oxandrolone, Lions Mane for several months and slowly reintroduce typing. It will improve. Other alternative is surgery.

i don't mean that i want to program my keyboard, just that i will use the keyboard to facilitate my programming of unrelated software applications

>i will use the keyboard to facilitate my programming of unrelated software applications
And having a fully programmable keyboard would mean you can set it up however the fuck you find convenient.

look nerd, i'm asking about switches

Whatever switch you like the feel of best m8. Depends on whether you want something tactile, clicky, or linear, what sort of weighting you want, etc.

Yes fuck templates

Attached: ezgif-2-e8522721f3.jpg (1191x638, 333K)

Maybe lube them up a little bit? Would that help at all? I'm still kind of iffy on the linear switch, especially at 35g, I bottom out like a motherfucker but I keep looking for that "bump".

Anything reporgramable, fucking sweet to be able to meander from box to box and not have to bring keymap configs.

Ergodox + github.com/naps62/ergodox-layout is pretty comfy.

What are those symbols? Fucking APL or something?

What's APL? That is Hackety znak.

>Maybe lube them up a little bit? Would that help at all?
I've lubed quite a few different switches before and it never made it feel less heavy, maybe reduce the sensation of tactility slightly but this is a spring issue.

It's a programming language with a terse non-latin symbol set, there's a few keysets kicking around. It's some eldritch shit.

What is Hackety znak?

Attached: aufionc2dc3y.jpg (960x640, 100K)

Hackety znak is a phonetic alphabet that can be used to transcribe romance languages.

Hunt and peck with only thumb and index finger for a couple of weeks.

Anyone ever used QMK stenography layer?

what are the cheapest mechanical 60% keyboards

>>tfw typing on cherry mx switches

Attached: TOPRE KEYSWITCH DIAGRAM.jpg (600x600, 44K)

Rk61

ya that listed method only works for keycaps unless u got a witches cauldron laying about or something.

the white people way is using 40%vol (12% peroxide) hair bleach **liquid** (do not use cream!!!!!) mixed with however much water to submerge the case, in a big tub and leaving it in the sun for like 2~6 hours depending on where you live.

if you do the retard way and use cream it WILL streak to some degree unless you are the 1 in 100 who miraculously has no problems.

amzn.com/B000M7725M

I have a No 1, but then this wasn't my first one. At least get a Trainer level (100lb resistance).

Attached: IM-CoC.jpg (972x1058, 143K)

thanks ill check it out

Honestly curious about those, I currently hold an oly bar in my fingertips arms down, and pull my wrists back and bring the bar to my palm.

Seems like doing just the grip itself would give you half the workout no?

im honestly considering an rgb keyboard fuck. i only want it because i find my touch typing gets screwed up when i lean back. although thats not an issue right now even though im leaning back. idk. who makes a decent backlit gateron clear?

are longhua blue switches fine?

>are longhua blue switches fine?
I had a nice long post written out but then my fucking tab crashed :( The long and the short of it is that reviews of them have been mixed. If you like Kalih switches you'll probably enjoy them. Worst case grab a board that you're comfortable replacing the switches on and then you're only out 20$ on switches.

How would RGB help with this?

see the keys. even if its just white i guess, but rgb because i like pink..

also also you might have been able to recover the data from the crashed tab

Right, I addressed this in my first post. As long as the little nubs are fairly pronounced you should be able to figure out where your fingers are pretty easily. One thing I noticed after moving to blanks was that my touch typing improved as looking at the keys did jack fuck all. Blanks and pink lighting would look pretty dope though.

again my touch typing is fine when sitting up properly. when im slouched back its a fair bit slower and for example writing this post i made 4 mistakes. in fact from where on out im not even ging to correcnt them to show you what i mean. its annoying as well because i sit in a dark room and the glare from my monitor makes it impossible to see the keybacaps

Ah that makes sense. Perhaps look into setting up prediction with auto correct like on iOS, its super comfy and gets it right 90% of the time. No idea how to get this running on Linux though.

How good is the JIS layout of the HHKB?
What's /mkg/'s JIS keyboard of choice?

seems there's "ibus" but thats more akin to that thinvg for japanese kanji input rather than actually correcting mistakes.

I've been using ortholinear for a while and I hate reaching with my pinkies. Is there something like the ergodox but with all 1u keys? something between the profet version and an iris

Attached: profet ergodox and iris.jpg (1600x2056, 220K)

you just missed the sol gb by a couple weeks

I'd suggest a dactyl-manuform to be honest. The column offsets are appreciably more natural than an ergodox.

Attached: IMG_20180704_174336.jpg (3026x1656, 1.19M)

ordered DSA keycaps
I want to try dvorak

wait for the plus12

Attached: jyni88amyka11.png (8000x5025, 2.66M)

eh it's ortholinear. I'm looking to try the sculpted columns like in the ergodox.

I've always thought the 3D printed stuff looked like it would feel cheap. does it feel better to type on than it looks?

that actually doesn't look too bad but I would need another row or two

Well it's not as solid as my ergodox, but that's no surprise. That said it's pretty great to type on. I suppose if you wanted you could get a metal baseplate made, or weigh it down somehow else.

Attached: IMG_20180322_150600.jpg (2934x1566, 846K)

alright maybe I'll give it a shot. where can I find the model for one like in your pic
all the ones I see don't have the 2 keys at the bottom corner (like for ctrl and gui)

The .stl is in the geekhack thread for it. I could sell you that manuform if you want though :^)

So I want to get a keyboard that I can easily swap the switches of without having to do a lot. I'm mostly looking at keyboards with those kailh hotswap sockets.
Are there really any other options that use kailh hot swap sockets that aren't ridiculously expensive besides the teamwolf CIY keyboard with that giant "ZHUQUE" badge on it?

Attached: DSC_0077.jpg (5984x3376, 1.38M)

nice umik
the fuck yuou measure?

You can buy holtites separately and install them in your pcb. I've bought mine from aliexpress and had to solder them in, to keep them from falling out.
winkeyless.kr/product/holtite/
aliexpress.com/item/Switch-LED-hot-swap-32pcs-for-mechanical-keyboard-DIY-keyboard

Attached: Awfyx3o.jpg (3718x2092, 851K)

They come factory lubed anyways. I would just try them for a week or two and if there are really that bad just get different switches.

I was considering them
how easy is it to swap switches with them?
since they're a single piece, i'm not sure about longevity

You could just spend the extra on getting a quality iron/desoldering setup going. As long as you’re not using a basic wall iron it’s not too bad. I mean it’s not rip and go, but it’s not too painful

Longevity isn’t what you need to worry about, it’s maintaining a decent connection to your circuit. Garuntee that’s an issue with both these setups

Dont fear the iron!

>tfw typing on gateron red

Attached: tiKEckG.jpg (1920x1080, 99K)

I already do that, but since I'm not a fan of super small keyboards, desoldering and soldering in 80+ new switches is kinda annoying. And time consuming when all I want to do is type on some different switches without stockpiling too many keyboards.
Especially since my current keyboards and LEDs, that's even more desoldering.

Attached: IMG_20180922_062658.jpg (3968x1782, 1.6M)

>How do I fix my carpal tunnel
I wish I knew. I have lived with carpalling tunnels for two decades now. My advice? Get a good armbrace that you can sleep in at night and wear it every night. It should stop the pain during the day. That's now it works for me, anyways.

You may only reply to this post if your keyboard weighs more then 10lbs
Also I am getting new keycaps from model F guy so I haven't bothered to clean these old ones.

Attached: 20180922_081940.jpg (4032x3024, 3.03M)

I used to think that standard full-size keyboards were enough. But I am slowly getting on your level.

kbd75 or race 3

KBD75 is better

That keyboard is unaffordable.

why can't you just use layers?

So when is the Plank getting proper bluetooth support, as opposed to the current half-assed connectors that don't even fit in the fucking case?

probably after qmk gets decent bluetooth support in the first place

what do you guys think?
too autistic?

Attached: 1532201925582.png (1121x358, 37K)

Planck rev.6 or niu mini? Want to do a semi-diy build. On the one hand, rev 6 has cool mods and good support, but the niu has that sexy as hell case.

Got a ck552 yesterday. Gateron reds are pretty nice.

Attached: 13_0ad7cd402a39423932846e4f988aa634_1529382401.jpg (800x468, 202K)

r8

Attached: qo8b0s7y4tn11.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&s=32849632544f01e55900738d5c0c91f1e06f776c.jpg (640x800, 75K)

Do you prefer 60% or 75%

Do all mx compatible switches sound scratchy?
I already have MX Red Silents (retooled but scratches anyway) and thinking about MX Zilents or just Zeal Zilents, would they be better?

Then give those standoffs user mentioned a try, whats the worst that happens? Also that is one sexy PCB. Had an idea while trying to sleep last night, they have spring loaded pins and connectors usually used for QA on ICs and whatnot, if you modded your switches with them and attached the recepticles to your board AND had a key tray that went over top to keep pressure on the whole thing you could get away with a solderless setup. The only real pain would be an increase in board height and maybe finding some larger screws to acciomodate.

hktdc.com/suppliers-products/Spring-Loaded-Pogo-Pin/en/1X06R1U3/450035/

Not sure if you're still around user, but the latest revision from Profet has support for a 1u setup. The side modifiers can have either 1u or 1.5u in em (Theres a rotated mount for the 1u) and the thumb cluster can be replaced with entirely 1u keys. Check your board to see if it already has support.

Whatʻs considered babbys 1st board here?
I just want to buy a template of something I can eventually upgrade into something nice.

Attached: b43n929zqng11.jpg (2400x1600, 359K)

I want a mechanical keyboard with
- cherry mx blue switches
- tenkeyless
- RGB
- white and preferably a metal front plate
- ISO/ansi format with normal character font, no weird letters, PBT material
- if low-profile keycaps even better
- budget can go up to 150-200$-ish
- ships to europe

Having fun saving pictures from reddit?

:P

Those novelkeys cream prototypes are looking pretty shit... When will people realise that cherry make the best mx switch and a few simple mods make them unbeatable?

unpopular opinion: cheery's are considered the holy standard because they were the first in the market, that doesn't mean they can't be improved

Not as unpopular as you think to be honest familia.

Do you actually think what you described has anything in common with using a hand grip? I mean besides the obvious that you use your hands for both.

We're talking about help for carpal tunnel syndrome. Not help with lifting weights.

What keycaps are those?

SA retro, from a group buy that's long over.

I've got that same IBM and I had to stop using it because of the retarded rollover rate lay out and bleach the top two

can someone explain why do people meme cherry reds as gaming switches?
I tried a keyboard with it and you can't FEEL when you press the key, I mean it's very smooth to press but you don't get an indicator that you pressed it, and this is actually important when you play games

so basically it's brown vs blues if I want tactile switches?

Probably something with blue or brown switches

>this is actually important when you play games
not really when you can see the action on screen, no tactility makes it less distracting.

Yeah, Iʻm probably going to get a iKBC with Cherry Blues. Just narrowing down the models for now.

mkg is low energy thread if you skip the template those casual visitors to mkg wont find it.

How do you know that's from Reddit?

Attached: 1537556153927.gif (382x554, 2.57M)