/fog/ - Friendly OpenBSD General

There seems to be increased interest in OpenBSD given the recent CoC added to Linux and FreeBSD already having one.

In /fog/ we discuss all things OpenBSD. Questions, ideas, experiences related to OpenBSD belong here.

>Why OpenBSD?
openbsd.org/goals.html
Most notably:
>"be as politics-free as possible; solutions should be decided on the basis of technical merit."
>"Pay attention to security problems and fix them before anyone else does. (Try to be the #1 most secure operating system.)"
openbsd.org/innovations.html

>How do I install OpenBSD?
Until you are familiar with the system, be sure to try it in a VM first.
openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html

>Tutorials?
OpenBSD doesn't teach through tutorials. Think of the cliche old saying "Teach a man to fish..." Instead it opts to keep man pages of a very high standard. The man pages document things such as, system calls, general commands, library functions, the system manager's manual, and others. Unlike other systems, telling someone to read the manual isn't necessarily an insult because of the high quality of documentation.
openbsd.org/faq/faq1.html#ManPages
man.openbsd.org/

>FAQ (if you are new this is especially useful when first starting)
openbsd.org/faq/index.html

>What do I need to know coming from GNU/Linux
1. Services, basic system administration, etc. is different (ex: there isn't a big tool like systemd to handle a lot of things for you)
2. There are fewer tutorials online for how to do various things
3. Some standard commands like grep and make don't work the way you thought they would (they have been replaced with BSD licensed alternatives). GNU's make can still be used by running gmake.
4. There is no /proc/ virtual file system for viewing/setting properties of hardware, etc. This is a Linux specific thing.
5. Some commands just don't exist that you may use to understand your hardware layout. Things such as "lspci", "lsusb", ...

Old thread:

Attached: 1407424346171.jpg (532x873, 74K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cvsweb.openbsd.org/ports/meta/xfce/pkg/README-main?rev=HEAD
man.openbsd.org/?query=atheros&apropos=1&sec=0&arch=default&manpath=OpenBSD-current
man.openbsd.org/man4/nv.4
marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=137609553004700
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Fuchsia
sel4.systems/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

That's the shittiest X-tan ever created.

>What do I need to know coming from GNU/Linux
>Everything's different, stuff doesn't exist and what does exist doesn't work the way you expect it to
What a shitty fucking summary. You should be talking about how OpenBSD's base system tools are better documented and easier to use than the Linux equivalents, how it provides the same packages you use on Linux, and that there's a handful of things to be aware of that it doesn't support.

Can I use this as a desktop OS ? I'm using Xubuntu right now, could I install Xfce on OpenBSD and basically make it look like Xubuntu ? I just really like this desktop environment

Attached: 2018-09-21-232034_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 981K)

>could I install Xfce on OpenBSD and basically make it look like Xubuntu
Yes

how does battery life compare to linux?

how easy is it to get the right drivers ?

What's wrong with it?

Yep, pkg_add xfce and add startxfce4 to your ~/.xsession.

cvsweb.openbsd.org/ports/meta/xfce/pkg/README-main?rev=HEAD

ok thanks

Depends on your hardware.

Depends on the hardware. Graphics-wise, Intel and AMD (radeon). Wireless, avoid Broadcom.

I have no idea what XFCE is or does sorry.

it's a desktop environment for loonix

Not just loonix

man pages? why not woman page? why are men obsessed with naming everything after themselves and their junk

Fucking kek

The mascot looks like a tranny version of Broly, going for Haiku or FreeBSD

Attached: i dont want it.jpg (800x777, 141K)

I think Emacs has a "woman mode", but iirc is for reading man page without man installed (w/o man)

>FreeBSD
*hugs*

Dell latop with Atheros wireless. Werks?

man.openbsd.org/?query=atheros&apropos=1&sec=0&arch=default&manpath=OpenBSD-current

should I replace my gentoo install with openbsd?

If you want to use OpenBSD.

Ok, here we go
>not cute
>tranny hair
>tonfa (why?)
>stupid collar
>not re-drawable in an over sexualized manner (not my opinion, but the weebs)

I'm SOL. Fuck this shit.

How do you get java programs that use more than 512M of ram to launch? I have tried editing /etc/login.conf to :datasize-max=8192M:\
:datasize-cur=8192M:\
It didn't change anything after rebooting.

I have a W530 which uses a k1000m, is that card compatible with OpenBSD or BSD in general?

thx

Doesn't Java itself also have some memory limit system that perhaps is enabled by default in your build?

man.openbsd.org/man4/nv.4

openbsd is really good for these really old machines.

Attached: fetch.png (709x273, 9K)

In my case it's better. I'm running much less (cwm, web browser and a few terminals verses mate desktop environment and full application suite)
not sure result of standard test tho

I think you're going to need to decide if you're a GNOME app or not mister

Attached: naughtyboi.png (256x256, 31K)

That's actually kind of funny
Remember when RMS made that abortion joke?
gnu/lol

Reminder that OpenBSD is lacking the following things:
>A robust filesystem such as ZFS, btrfs, or HAMMER2
>Any kind of journaling FS
>NFSv4
>Support for more than one core on various parts of the OS. The firewall, pf, is confirmed to be one of these parts, although there may be more.
>802.11ac networking
>Nvidia graphics from this decade
>AMD Vega graphics
>Certain Intel graphics, at least judging from comparing the manpage to the wikipedia article
>Broadcom wireless
>Bluetooth
>WINE
>LUKS/dm-crypt
>Linux compatibility layer
>Mounting ext filesystems
>free(1)
>lsblk(8)
>and probably more

Attached: puf800X689.gif (800x689, 69K)

>not re-drawable in an over sexualized manner
Where there is a will there is a way

Attached: 1535323704635.png (960x815, 350K)

>80% is linux shit or bloat or straight up insecure
Oh nonononononono

wmy is there no mpv in bsd so I can watch my hitler movies and go

I don't know I am supposed to say some offensive hitler sutff but I forgot about it

still I want the option to do that though
something about the jews are trying to steal all your fish and your own responsibility, I don't remember

all of this is too vague, give me a specific package i can make meaningful contributions too

12 min doodle from a retard. the good artists will do a fine job
dont even think much would need to be changed, tough grill being CONQUERED is already pretty common

Attached: uwu.jpg (751x677, 61K)

guys im on debian testing pretty comfy but some software oddly enough it's older than stable (ie. firefox, thunderbird)
im thinking to go sid, any advice?

Attached: debianrem.png (3840x2160, 2.39M)

Literally: pkg_add mpv

netbsd seems more friendly.

Install gentoo

it worked, however adolph hitler stole my gold fish

he said befor him is germany, after him is germany, then he kidnapped my goldfish. god damnit I hate hitler so much

I'm not sure but I think pol and the chinese made time machine and brought him back, he is an asshole he is like total nazi

Attached: goldie.jpg (354x472, 57K)

heres a questions whats preventing openbsd from getting SJW'd ?
you guys really have to stop avoiding confrontation.
they will come for openbsd like they came for linux unless you fight back

>heres a questions whats preventing openbsd from getting SJW'd ?
This guy

Attached: data-0.jpg (320x240, 13K)

south african jackass that just tells you to go fuck your self, lit linus 2.0

all we miss is that he blames everything on the jews

>fight back jews
looks at pic related

point is this guy is worse than a norwegian, he gives zero fucks and that's our hope. I think this is our guy.

there will be hitlers all over the place if they even try.
that's goldie, she was a good doggo, don't drag goldie into this you son of a bitch!

oh wait I am supposed to listen to hitler cra.. I mean stuff

he dies, his second developer is a cuck proceed to sjw that shit

Theo
>you guys really have to stop avoiding confrontation.
It's not in our hands. If Linus decides to become an SJW, there's very little we can do. We can try to convince him otherwise, and yes, people are already doing that - even a big part of reddit of all places is on it, and if nothing else, they have favourable popular opinion (much more people will listen to "intellectual redditors" throwing up a storm than "that alt-right and hacker forum, Jow Forums" doing the same) as well as, arguably, manpower.

But besides that? If he can't be convinced? Then we lose. Of course we can fork it. We can forgo anything. But that's not the I point. Jow Forums can not maintain a project the size of Linux. We don't have a Linus of our own. We make a fork, then what? Port over any changes from mainline? That would work, but that defeats the entire point. The CoC has essentially no direct effect on the end-user; the worry is a out development quality being stifled, and in the future, double-standards leveraging the CoC being used to get rid of anyone. Such as Linus.

That's the problem. And once mainline goes to shit, so will any forks, unless they can literally become Linux 2.0. I doubt Linus will come to Jow Forums to help us with our fork if he gets ousted from his own project.

So there is no fighting back. Unless some madman user physically assassinates some of the most prominent SJWs. Not all of them are THAT pushy, and having the worst offenders get offed could be an interesting disincentive to would-be followers. On the other hand, the press coverage will definitely paint the victims as the fucking goddesses that suffered martyrdom for the most righteous of causes, so it's hard to say, and with some bad luck a move like that could result in the opposite effect.

>linus adopts a coc
>user switches to an os that has even less functionality than linux because muh trannies
I seriously hope you guys don't do this

>80% is linux shit
features are not "linux shit"
Let's say it again
features are not "linux shit"
features. are. not. "linux. shit."

my god hitler was right, it's the whales, the whales are staling all our fish. it's a small international clique of whales. in one they they are in lofoton, the very next day they are in torshavn, then akkureyri..... my god hitler knew

but how did this even work out? he was against the new whale order, but still he was a veggie, hitler makes no sense

Attached: 1533668091485.jpg (810x650, 82K)

>Mounting ext filesystems
Can't it do ext in read only?

marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=137609553004700

nice doodle uwu

The shitty thing about SJWs is that they wont stop and overreach
The good thing about SJWs is that they wont stop and will overreach.

Having a fork prepared because WHEN not IF they do start flagging and banning people for not bending the knee to their ideology however minor the offence, then they will have a home from the insanity to run to.
Also id advise who ever forks it, fork it off github since $MSFT will probably end up stop hosting
"because the contributors arent up their standards"

this is exactly what a whale would say, you are not fooling anyone here

but yeah are we going to get a proper filesystem?

This. Didn't they have to bring out a new copy somewhat recently?

adolph hitler was such a saint, it makes me cry. I love you adolph hitler I hope it is true that the chinese picked you up in a time machine and you are coming back

Attached: 5a6cf741d98fea963160fefa69ca8688db33b3215a0336e54e44cb35012230f0.jpg (376x376, 32K)

>github
No, why even touch that at all?

>having a fork prepared
While it sounds like a good idea, it's still a large amount of work keeping it organised (unless you literally just do git pulls every time there's a release, or even ever time there's a commit to master because why not, and nothing else) and result is still not guaranteed. Will Linus want to go to a fork made by some randoms after getting kicked out of what was his life for decades, his own child?
If anything I think he'd try to make his own fork. Especially so if your "prepared" fork is just constantly updated from upstream anyway, there's literally no value to its existence.

Anyway, modern Linux is a hugely collaborative project, and I think the hardest part would be moving all the support currently going into the Linux project over into a fork. I honestly feel like that might be impossible to achieve, even for Linus himself. Especially since many corporate sponsors may approve of the SJWs, and decide against switching to a fork. Quite a few major contributors would also have absolutely no reason to switch (they're the ones who pressured Linus into all this in the first place, ffs), and normies won't care and will keep using the same "Linux" as always. Where would Linus's support come from in making a fork, and will it let him meaningfully compete with the original?

How do you keep your fs consistent and w/o corruption? I want to try it out but no journaling seems risky to me

Why not wait till whenever, fork it if needed whenever, and just remove the CoC?

I want him to use those tonfas to spread and gape my boipucci slowly

Does nobody pay attention to anything? Linux Kernel development is funded/run by major corporations since a decade now. Samsung and Qualcomm and whatever SJWs they want to push to the board are who owns Linux.
Mainline has always been shit. That's why junk keeps getting pushed and Linus stopped caring at least around 2006.

OpenBSD the main source of money they get is MicroSerf shekels because every protections they jam into their kernel, Microsoft copies for their own kernel. OpenBSD is pretty good though it's still a monokernel, this is ancient technology that needs to go, even though it's the best of the monokernels. Any OS hackers here if you want a crazy OS, use Hurd but with NetBSD rumpkernels to run on hardware. Debian/Hurd is a fully functioning OS these days. You get shit you've always wanted, like no possibility of ever crashing, real security (memory never shared, no kernel hacks/protections needed), and can kind of run a futuristic OS where there are no rules. Mount your video card and access the GPU from a dozen different servers? Sure no prob. No security issues either because everything is actually independent, not virtual independent.

Attached: Hurd.jpg (911x911, 88K)

I should also add, GNU/RMS long ago gave up on Hurd, it's a chaos hacker run project these days with anything goes mentality. Anyway I will stop shitting up this thread just there isn't an OS hacking thread around

Attached: axler.png (544x151, 251K)

I need some realy good hitler stuff now, somthing about file systems, can anyone hook me up?

i wanna fug openbsd-tan

New RTL8822BE in most thinkpads is unsupported. For now. I've downloaded the RTL8822BE datasheets already and this weekend I'm going to start working on a driver for it on OpenBSD. Wish me luck lads. First driver dev.

Me too. Can we please have the OpenBSD mascot be a male? Pretty please?? owo

Agreed on microkernels, but is Hurd really the best concept for that out there? It's had a ridiculous amount of development time and is still nowhere near fully-realized. Wouldn't something like Genode make more sense? At least that can also use seL4.

>fork
>have no support for updates and have to repeatedly fork over and over cause you cant develop the exploit fixes and new drivers yourself.
>no one supports literally who linux fork just because muh CoC.
>forking the fucking kernel just for personal use on a weekly basis
Wow user, really sticking it to those trannies.

ah you can trust the microkernel fags to come along and try to dissuade anything gaining popularity because it doesn't live up to their 1970s memes

I don't care at all, I use both Linux (desktop with Nvidia card) and openBSD (laptop) as I have for years. I couldn't give a shit less about the CoC, if linux starts being shit and the code sucks dick I'll just buy an AyyMD next time and use openBSD on my desktop too
I was just theoretically replying to that user

Your flippant disregard for microkernel architectures is a 1970s meme. They didn't stop innovating and improving after mach.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Fuchsia
sel4.systems/

Attached: google-fuchsia8-1270x714.png (1270x714, 388K)

>I think your computer science teachers are still teaching you from books written in the 80's, when the word "micro-kernel" was associated with a future utopia
If theo says it, I believe him

I never thought I'd see the day so many anons get this passionate over a leaf.

Attached: facebook_1537586170288001.jpg (476x960, 53K)

i bet fuchsia lags like android, only this time it's a consequence of being a microkernel

if microkernels were so good they would have been adopted extensively; unlike operating systems, kernels can change 100% behind the scenes without affecting the user

>facebook
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

All popular kernels these days are hybrid kernels, Linux is the only remaining monolithic one.

so they're not microkernels

Oh look, the fag who never even took an OS101 class in his life but is constantly on Jow Forums talking crap against microkernels. You're no fun anymore, you've already been debunked extensively and now we just ignore and hide you and don't feed the troll...

He's South African.

>we
Who's we user?

>If theo says it, I believe him
autism

yeah it's always me, one person. take your fucking meds.

i'm sick of cunts like you coming along to shit on any alternative OS, just when they might gain traction.

Well i'm not gonna lie, I don't have literal years of experience on developing my own OS, so if someone that writes arguably the cleanest and most secure OS code there is has an opinion on something, I tend to agree with it, not to mention I respect him extremely

As opposed to whom? Google fuchsia devs?

Fuck your alternatives when they don't bring anything new to the table. Plus I don't have to do anything to shit on them, they'll never get anywhere anyway because they suck. Stop being deluded, it's not feasible and it won't gain traction. Ever. Bye.

It was all over when Linus married a twat.

That's how it always starts.

So, whats needed is an all-incel developer base to safeguard openbsd from SJWs?

Are we there already?

Easiest way is to have a CoC for OpenBSD which states if you've ever had sex with a woman or are married, you are automatically ejected from development and can't submit patches

When can I use my gtx 1080 on openbsd?

In the year 2035

OpenBSD is almost perfect for my use except I need Wine, fuck. NetBSD isn't pozzed, right?

Attached: anguish.png (700x700, 386K)

Can someone redpill me on *BSD or I guess OpenBSD is enough.

Is it even more shittily functioning than GNU/Linux? In the sense that it has even less hardware support? Is the reality that this project is so small and insignificant it's no

>Can I use this as a desktop OS ?
Not if you have an Nvidia card, unfortunately. You can run Nvidia cards on FreeBSD, but FreeBSD stopped caring about security around 15 years ago, to the point that even Windows has better exploit mitigations and a more vigorous security response than FreeBSD.

Is it worth getting a non-Nvidia card just to run OpenBSD? I think so, but you'll have to make the call.

>He does not know about Theo The Chad

I don't think NetBSD really has a niche in BSD world for the typical desktop user. FreeBSD pitches performance, features, and development activity. OpenBSD pitches security. NetBSD pitches architectural compatibility, which doesn't really matter to the typical desktop user.

That was the usual set of elevator speeches anyway.But as I noted in , FreeBSD stopped caring about security around 15 years ago. It doesn't even have userland ASLR, yet NetBSD, with its less active development, came out with __kernel__ ASLR a year ago. It's not even clear that FreeBSD still has a performance advantage over the other BSDs.

NetBSD is perfect trust me.