Years go by and their "secret chat" feature is still nowhere near coming to the desktop client

>Years go by and their "secret chat" feature is still nowhere near coming to the desktop client
>but even then their encryption is shit
a couple of years ago, I got my friends to switch from (((WhatsApp))) to Telegram, but now that Telegram seems to be shit (security wise), how do I convince them to switch to Wire?

eff.org/deeplinks/2018/03/beyond-implementation-policy-considerations-secure-messengers
security.stackexchange.com/questions/49782/is-telegram-secure/49802#49802

Attached: 1520189178248.png (676x380, 88K)

Other urls found in this thread:

f-droid.org/en/packages/com.lavadip.miniVector/
dymaxion.org/essays/briarvision.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_instant_messaging_clients
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telegram_(service)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You shouldn't have made them switch to telegram in the first place and you shouldn't make them switch to wire.
Try something protocol based like riot.im or jitsi.

>riot.im
I would have to run my own server, no?
>jitsi
>webrtc
>leaks your IP

No and no.

but what makes riot better than wire? literally anyone can audit wire and it has the superior userexperience.

They are decentralized and, as I already said, they are also based on a protocol.
Any matrix/XMPP client is fine so you don't have to rely on a single client that may or may not works decently in your platform.

riot is decentralized???

Attached: 1527200564972.jpg (1300x1734, 221K)

>Riot is built on top of Matrix. Matrix is an open network for secure, decentralised communication delivering a community of users, bridged networks, integrated bots and applications plus full end-to-end encryption.

Riot is not decentralized, they run their own server and has shitty Discord-like privacy in it. And there isn't a stable Matrix server yet.

how can they run their own server, and be decentralized?

The main point is that stuff like pic related can't happen. They have a server, but nobody force you to use it.

Attached: wire.png (867x862, 53K)

>stuff like pic related can't happen
so what? I can use it for free.

don't claim them to be decentralized and then move the goalpost and back pedal.

>so what? I can use it for free.
Yes but they don't have a crystal clear future. Who guarantees you it will always be free and future proof when they're already offering a "pro version" of their software?
If you use matrix you can use riot as long as you like it and if they'll ever fuck it up with a business model or in some other ways you can switch to another client without make everyone following your decision. It's the main fucking point of using something protocol based.

Also, if their server is shit like is claiming, you a different server with little/no bother for your friends. It's decentralized because there are many servers, I never claimed it's peer to peer.

I'm not saying riot is perfect, I'm not even using it right now so I don't even know its mayor drawbacks, but I do think it's one of the best options right now. When you're changing IM you want something you can use for many many years. It's hard as fuck to completely switch to something else because you have to convince everyone you know to install what you like, so you better think twice before choosing the right thing.

>Who guarantees you it will always be free and future proof when they're already offering a "pro version" of their software?
actually, this puts my mind at ease more than the completely "free" alternatives. I want to know where the money comes from that these organizations maintain themselves with.

having a pro version that is paid is not bad.

>decentralized because there are many servers
you should look up the definition of decentralized. literally every service uses "many servers".

matrix is federated. briar and ring are the only decentralized messengers out now.

Every service uses many servers, but they act like one thanks to a middleware. In matrix those servers are actually distinguishable and they have nothing to do with each other. You can literally choose your server and host your own.
Decentralized is the correct term even if I didn't bother to be precise in it's definition, don't pretend you are failing to understand the point.

>briar
Yet another irrelevant IM I never heard before.

>matrix those servers are actually distinguishable
>choose your server
>Decentralized is the correct term
This is the opposite of decentralized.

user, I may not be the person who needs to look up at that definition.

you're literally talking about their server, which is the central authority.

Attached: 1514338608248.png (704x121, 5K)

So what do you guys suggest using then?

Wire, which is also recommended by restoreprivacy.com

There are no central authorities within matrix.
It's your choice if you want host your own home server or not

the data is centralized either way you dense fuck! that is the opposite of decentralized.

What a trustable website

Attached: firefox_2018-09-21_21-21-26.png (653x316, 28K)

icecat is shit.

If anyone wants to try Matrix, there is f-droid.org/en/packages/com.lavadip.miniVector/

So Riot with less permissions

Why not signal?

>single device
It's shit

Cool, but why no audio?

briar is amazing. you can even chat e2ee via bluetooth. dymaxion.org/essays/briarvision.html

XMPP+OMEMO is way better

>linked to phone number.

I'll never understand how people can unironically be ok with this.

Matrix is decentralized. You can choose to host your own server that syncs with other matrix servers, or run it completely on your own. There is no central authority as each server, if it chooses to be federated with the main cluster, hosts it's own data. It is 100% up to the server owners who/if they want to federate with. Again, there is no need to ever sync with anything, but should you choose to do so then your server has the same privilege as the next server.

I like Telegram. What's unsafe about it?
>oh it doesn't use end-to-end asymmetric encryption on normal chats
Use private chats.

Normies need aomething easy to install. So goodluck convincing.anyone to.use something hard to setup.
Ive been looking for the perfect IM ever since Surespot fell to the CIA. Unfortunatly that doesnt exist.
>Telegram script kiddies with closed source server. Ya no fuck off.
>xmpp+omemo. Goodluck convincing anyone to go through setup steps. I literally made accounts to give to people.
>Matrix. Not secure by default. Terrible UI and still in development phase unaudited.

I had to give it along thought before biting the pillow and switching to Signal. Realistically they can only see your phone number which any android app could identify directly or through device ID anyway. Atleast its audited and I just tell NPCs to install it remotely without them failing.

mate, even if I host my own, my server is the center of all the data going through it. it is not decentralized. look up the definition

>closed source server.
Prove it is closed source you brainlet.
>Matrix. Not secure by default. Terrible UI and still in development phase unaudited.
Matrix is a protocol, and open source, so if you want to audit it go ahead
>yadda yadda Signal yadda NPCs
Oh, I thought you weren'ta complete retard, sorry.

>not a single argument made
>NPCs
/v/eddit kid spotted

Briar is peer-to-peer. Most networking engineers and/or scholars would agree that federation and p2p are both types of decentralized networks. See Elijah Sparrow, who uses the term decentralized to refer exclusively to p2p and federated as its own term. Besides Elijah, federation and p2p are considered specific types of decentralized networks. From a layman's point of view matrix is absolutely decentralized since there is no authoritative server which checks messages. Instead messages are signed by the sender and propagate through all federated servers.
Your server would be the source only momentarily if I hosted a server and we were federated. Then my server would be able to take over should your server go down since I receive the same messages. Thus your server is not special. Take a look at my image. The decentralized image is exactly what matrix offers.

Attached: images.png (278x181, 11K)

> Le audit it yourself meme EBIN XD

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_instant_messaging_clients

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telegram_(service)
>whereas its server-side code is closed-source and proprietary.

Let me guess you are KGB shill.

Shill

>suggesting closed source software

Summer is over

In other words, your server is not considered a trusted authority for your users. The same user can just as well send a message from his own server, or my server, at any time. This is the essence of decentralization. Federation is a method to achieve this when the atomic device (phone laptop etc.) Does not want to host it's own content (restrictions such as storage and bandwidth etc)
I wasn't suggesting briar I was refuting what user said regarding it, but both briar and matrix are open source and free. Are you alright?

My bad thought Briar is closed source.

It's federation, not p2p. Think SMTP not Bittorrent. I run my own Matrix server and use it to talk to the matrix.org server all the time.

>he's too retarded to audit some code
Don't reply to me until you've done your homework.
>KGB shill
>unironically shills NSA-controlled Signal.