Discord was founded in mid 2015 by Jason Citron. Citron previously founded the OpenFeint mobile gaming social platform...

>Discord was founded in mid 2015 by Jason Citron. Citron previously founded the OpenFeint mobile gaming social platform, which was subject to a class action suit in 2011 over abuse of its users privacy through invasive tracking services. Allegations included accessing private device information without any prior permission and selling this data to other developers. The company behind Discord initially tried their hand at game development with the production of the MOBA "Fates Forever". Upon failing to gain any substantial popularity, the company then decided they would try playing with development of a VoIP chat app and had sold OpenFeint for $104 million. The company cited frustration with current chat applications and lack of an application they liked as their inspiration for Discord. Grabbing investment capital in the millions range, the company broke ground on the development of Discord. According to the CEO Jason Citron, Discord only promoted their app on Reddit and let the gaming community do the rest.

Attached: discord.png (227x222, 2K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/DG5KV
rocket.chat/
support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004957991
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

How does discord make money enough to sustain such a massive operation?

Attached: thunk.jpg (229x220, 7K)

Entirely VC funded right now. They haven't turned a profit yet afaik

It's a proprietary VC-funded app without a sustainable business model. They're waiting for somebody to buy them out and then cash out bigtime like WhatsApp.

big think

Attached: 1513051201996.jpg (498x498, 39K)

This is like amazon, it all about increase market share, and market power to create dependency and then make the big bucks

They're waiting to be bought out by amazon, calling it now

honestly i hope they sell out to microsoft just to spite reddit, would be pretty funny for about 2 minutes

The difference is that Amazon only became profitable through AWS. That division + Prime memberships are the only thing keeping the company afloat. They still don't turn a profit on retail sales.

Discord is going to go the information selling route for sure. The platform is kickass now, but when the funding dries up and investors start demanding growth you're going to start seeing targeted ads and stuff

>oh no the jews know which video games I play!

I am sure they are operating at a loss and are just waiting to get bought out.

>Discord is going to go the information selling route for sure. The platform is kickass now, but when the funding dries up and investors start demanding growth you're going to start seeing targeted ads and stuff

That's when there will be something new

>Discord is going to go the information selling route for sure.
>Discord is going to go
>going to go
>going to
oh honey

you think that they aren't selling gold?
archive.is/DG5KV

rocket.chat/
rocket.chat/
rocket.chat/

Well if they are now they aren't making much of a profit, that's for sure

>Can obtain information from social network accounts tied to your Discord account
$$$

funny shit

how did discord get such a foothold in Jow Forums?

it didnt

Same way proboards got a foothold on forums back in the day or how tinychat was a thing before Discord.
It's easy to make your own room and invite people and faggots want everyone to use "their" room.
There's a reason it's a bannable offense to post this shit.

we need a J U I C Y irc client

What do you mean "massive operation"? Anyone retard can make an attractive VoIP client in their mom's basement. The only real costs are for servers and unnecessary artists.

Attached: 1527874544701.jpg (600x512, 26K)

>sold OpenFeint for $104 million
get on their level

Where is the rule which says it's a bannable offence?

CIA data collection fund

this dude made a 104 million dollar deal
what's the biggest deal you've done
like your car, or your house or something maybe

Yeah, discord is going to be profitable for this guy. To think otherwise is naive.

I would say that "irc dropped the ball" but it's not irc's responsibility
irc will always be around, because it's a protocol, not a service

the people who dropped the ball are the people who failed to make a discord-tier client for irc

>people who failed to make a discord-tier client for irc
people who use discord are generally too braindead to figure out irc
example: mods now use discord

right, well idiots are given, but that's still a failure of potential irc clients that paved the way for discord

maybe no one wanted to make a retard friendly irc client so as to keep a barrier for entry

Still better than Jow Forums with all the shit hiroshimoot is doing and IRC when every single user can see your IP address.
These threads stink of shills talking shit to drum up marketshare on their own platforms (read: skype)

Anyone who uses discord is a good goyim

and thus they killed the entire protocol since nobody fucking uses it any longer. Most channels are just dead silence as everyone connected is done via a bouncer with the user given no reason to check up on the channel. IRC easily could have managed to create a method to join channels via magnet links. Fuck the entire Discord setup could easily be replicated if someone joined the IRC protocol with the murmur protocol and wrote a client similar to the braindead setup with Discord. The easy to join links are 90% of the reason Discord took off and magnet links could easily replicate that issue.

IRC died because people got cocky and lazy; now we have a fucking literal botnet in place of a good setup and everyone is busy circlejerking about how IRC is still fine. IT ISN'T FUCKING FINE, IT'S FUCKING DEAD.

fuck it, let the elitist neckbeards sit in their empty IRC channels. Everyone else is enjoying chat with icons and embedded content

Did you even read when you're responding to?

Based and redpilled

>IRC died because
Let me interject here,
IRC will never die because IRC is not a company or a platform, it's a protocol

>yeah i'm a retard deal with it

Attached: 1357122581973.png (470x337, 312K)

>t. incel

>privacy exists
everyone point at him and laugh

Attached: 1310496497472.jpg (203x152, 15K)

IRC is less private than Jow Forums and Discord.
You can create an anonymous account on Discord, and you get get the pass to degoogle Jow Forums. Meanwhile anyone can view your carrier, IP on IRC.

I have a feeling all these people recommending IRC are just anti-discord trolls and never used IRC themselves. There's a reason this shit is dying.

It overheats my regular laptop, maybe they mine crypto in the background.
Also they can sell data to advertisers, show you ads, and lately it has been rumoured they want to sell games like steam.

Attached: 1313346644283.jpg (550x550, 148K)

You can post on IRC via TOR. If you use Whonix no possibility of leaking of the IP.

>Tor
Immediate entry into the FBI watchlist.

as opposed to
>discord
immediate entry into fu chongs data server

I don't know how much they make but I've seen handful of people buy into nitro for the custom and animated emojis.

I rather be spied by Mao than America, come and get me FBI shill.

oh yeah the fbi sells your data to advertisers i forgot
tell me more wu chang bing nong

99% of networks will mask your host without you needing to do anything. Try again.

I will admit that more networks should force SSL though.

If Twitter with a way bigger user base losses hundreds of millions of dollars a quarter how do you think discord will ever be profitable? They will use the scummiest tactics while trying to raise more VC money to stay afloat

It's flagged as spam on several boards, evading those filters is against the rules.

Pic related, literal shills.

Attached: 1508984316727.png (1255x541, 101K)

Who the fuck cares.

I can't even log in anymore due to their stupid recaptcha.

Attached: 1501239605846.png (465x450, 275K)

Well I guess that's an American problem.

/v/eddit

Kys fat american retarded faggot
No one gives a flying fuck about your faggot letter agencies that completly go against thw basis of your nation

Why is this shit so popular? Because they hire shills to spam their faggy ass discord channels on Jow Forums?

>Who the fuck cares.
>weeb retard

go figure

They're going to be selling all your data.

I'm ok with them selling MY data. It would be cool if there were options to choose what information gets sold to marketing/research companies

>minimum cost is $50 a month
>no free version

into the trash

They claim they don't want to sell data, but they sure keep a lot. I requested the entirety of the data they had on me, here's the article they give you with it so you can sort through it: support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004957991

>tfw there is still no end-to-end secure group voice chat anywhere
>the only reason why is bandwidth, because servers mix down simultaneous voices together so they have a single stream to send to each client, and in order to do that they need plain audio

Also Discord is pure NSA data collection.

Attached: bugman.gif (440x296, 3.63M)