Emacs general

Emacs general

Attached: pngR9b4lzUy39.png (256x258, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/K68QcHz4
en.wikipedia
facebook
youtube.com/watch?v=SzA2YODtgK4
orgmode.org/manual/Capture-templates.html
youtube.com/watch?v=RhYNu6i_uY4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

what kind of config does rms use?

Attached: 1404553389465.jpg (1355x1113, 179K)

I licked a negro once

Install vim
/thread

I like foobar2000 more

None. No, really, I think I read somewhere he doesn't customize his emacs all that much.

He uses the default one. He says it's already perfect

Ok

Vim is literally a piece of shit compared to emacs

I like ncmpcpp

anyone uses Emacs here? I've been using for 3 months
what's the best email client for Emacs?

I use Gnus, but the development seems stagnant and the site is in a broken state.

>Gnus if you want RSS as well (preinstalled)
>Rmail if you want to operate by commands. No rss. (preinstalled)
>mu4e is like gnus but more lightweight

If were going to have an Emacs General, shouldn't we have a better OP than this? Can we discuss things that should be in the OP?
I use Gnus because like the other user said, it has email and rss and its already in the vanilla install so wherever you go, you are used to the workflow and its pretty comfy once you get used to it.

Attached: IMG_20180803_172429_2.jpg (3948x2676, 1.88M)

I use mu4e and isync
works pretty great.

Yeah, sorry. I was in a rush.
How hard would it be to write a Jow Forums client in elisp? Does emacs support rest services?

>2018
>not using notepad++ or atom
ishygddt

I'm currently working on a fork of q4 which should do just that
haven't committed anything in a while because school

created a nice utility that will run an eshell in the current buffer file location

pastebin.com/K68QcHz4

EXWM exists. Will Emacs be a Wayland compositor as well one day?

Emacs isn't even ported to wayland yet. Writing a wayland compositor in elisp would be a herculean task

exwm only exists because xcb is language agnostic[0], until something similar is created for wayland I doubt it will happen.
I doubt emacs will be ported to wayland fully, the graphical model of emacs is all sorts of messed up[1].

[0]en.wikipedia org/wiki/XCB#Protocol_description
[1]facebook com/notes/daniel-colascione/buttery-smooth-emacs/10155313440066102/

So g why should I give emacs a try ? I am your average vim user but slightly less autistic. When I see that I need a proper tool I just use an IDE.

Emacs would get a Wayland port essentially for free if the Gtk >=3 backend stopped talking to raw X at all and did everything through Gtk. That would also excise all those awful hacks mentioned (or at least confine them to the Lucid and Motif backends).

When you get tired of opening a handful of software to do your workflow and you just want one comfy environment that can do it all.
>Oh, i want to write some lines of code
>Oh, now I want to check my email
>Oh, now I want to use irc
>Oh, I want to open up a shell
>Oh, now I want to go back to writing my code
>Oh, these are all done in buffers I can switch back and forth from easily.
>Oh, why did I never use emacs before?

This is extra handy on Windows where the default options suck goat balls.

It is essentially a lisp machine, oberon and acme in one

Vimuser.org

Default as far as is publicly know.
He also thinks it's dumb to share and copy configurations, because emacs should be configured to *your* tastes.

I use notmuch, it took the least amount of configuration to get working with multiple email accounts for me. Plus it's tags based.

Does anyone here know elisp? How would I go about writing a major mode for a new programming language that has just the basics like syntax highlighting and indentation? Are there any good tutorials on that?

The elisp texinfo

This logo looks better in full color IMO.

Attached: boomerpad.jpg (4004x2491, 2.74M)

What the deal with emacs, I know nothing about it, why is it so popular? thanks

cringe

yikes

It's a textual interface with a programming language to write extensions. You can use it for a lot of stuff that can be expressed textually, for instance I use it as a file manager, irc client, email client, rss reader, and text editior.
From what I read these days some of its most popular features are magit which is a git interface, Org mode which is a mark up langage, and tramp which is a package to access and edit remote files over ssh.

based

>for instance I use it as a file manager, irc client, email client, rss reader, and text editior

Attached: 244701AF-87D5-456F-B175-D2BAD9AFF826.jpg (350x350, 48K)

>textual

Attached: >textual.png (1600x900, 868K)

I don't think you get how that meme works

Thank you for being a walking advertisement that people should avoid you.

probably some minimal config. I am sure he has some stuff set up for reading email.

:3
Thanks, I hate normies as well, it works out exactly as I planned.

I would probably want a smaller logo for emacs.

Does Jow Forums use evil? I've been using emacs for about a year now (i switched because the C++, lisp and haskell tooling was great) but i just hate not having modal editing.
Is emacs + evil peak text editing?

Where'd you get the sticker my dude.

Attached: 1495137067654.png (1066x1491, 1.73M)

I used evil for a bit, it is pretty good. You will probably run into issues where evil bindings are not working so well with certain modes and such. There is often packages that fix this.

The gnu is supposed to be leaving over emacs. And I prefer the more subtle look than in your face. I like the shadow look.
Custom made from vinly cutter.

Attached: IMG_20180804_131406~2.jpg (3268x2802, 1.61M)

Leaping*

Attached: K6ejX.png (604x519, 43K)

I like it user

Evil is evil

Vanilla emacs is peak text editing. Plus if you need to use nano, or want to actually be productive on the command line, the default key bindings share similar movement keys to frequently used Unix programs.
>Go to Windows, just install emacs and good to go.
>Go to OSX, just install emacs and good to go
>Go to server side, just install emacs and good to go

>Go to server side, just install emacs and good to go
Tramp exists and it works OOTB. You shouldn't need to install Emacs on anything besides the machine you use.

Attached: lemote-emacs.jpg (3888x2592, 3.74M)

Can it be used as a word processor?

I have the emacs daemon running on my server in replace of something like tmux or screen so I can have my scripts running always.
Could be other ways, but it werks for me.

>I use emacs, which might be thought of as a thermonuclear word processor. It was created by RichardStallman; enough said.
>If you are a professional writer – i.e., if someone else is getting paid to worry about how your words are formatted and printed – emacs outshines all other editing software in approximately the same way that the noonday sun does the stars.

Attached: 220px-Neal_Stephenson_2008_crop.jpg (220x241, 16K)

>The gnu is supposed to be leaving over emacs
I guess I looked at a screwed up SVG file when I was applying vinyl to my laptop ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

>filthy wall with dirty, broken outlet covers
>ancient technology telephone
>tiny, off-brand laptop with toy-like appearance
>duct tape holding power cable together

>this guy is Jow Forums's hero

sure. why not?

I'd prefer that than the consumerist iToddlers.
When you realize things work without being all shinny and new, you will be free from your shackles.

I really love Emacs for magit and M+x shell, but I'm ashamed to say it will be very hard for me to give up VSCode for general editing.

It's possible to get the same features on Emacs but it would take a fuck ton of setup. Like, popup linter errors on your cursor, and popup tooltips as you write. Also, Emacs still doesn't have an indentation guideline system as good as VSCode's graphical version.

Attached: 1200px-Visual_Studio_Code_1.18_icon.svg.png (1200x1195, 16K)

hi

Attached: file.png (562x363, 16K)

There's flymake that ships with emacs, and you can use flycheck if it isn't enough for you. It might actually take less effort to set up emacs to do the same vscode does, and have it use less of your resources.

Attached: tea.png (907x830, 559K)

yes, I feel like I need to do this. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, I feel like someone experienced with Emacs could set it up exactly how I wanted in under an hour.

I use Spacemacs as a base for my config. Everything is pre evilified.

Cryptonomicon is still one of my favorite books.

Yes, but don't use org-meme-mode.

Literally just install Spacemacs.

Org mode can directly output EPUB, PDF, and ODT. I'd probably use Markdown or Asciidoc myself due to ease of use, but orgmode remains a solid option.

org-mode ships with an markdown exporter, you just need to (require 'ox-md) to enable it. There's no point to use markdown.

I moved from spacemacs to doom-emacs about 6 months ago, and it's a far better base.
It's a lot more transparent in what it does for you, and is a fuck load faster. I load about 400 and something plugins in 1.5 seconds. The dev is a bro as well.

>It is a story as old as time. A stubborn, shell-dwelling, and melodramatic vimmer -- envious of the features of modern text editors -- spirals into despair before finally succumbing to the dark side.
Truer words have never been said. vim kiddies will defend their abomination of config files.

Attached: vimecabomina5ion.png (355x399, 198K)

How do I get into using org-mode? I used to use emacs ages ago but gave it up for vim eventually supplemented with VSC.

Those obviously aren't American outlets, retard.

why do you want to use org mode in the first place? That can help in answering your question.
If you just want to use org mode because you hear people use it without a reason for using it I can see why you would have difficulty getting used to it.

Out

I tried emacs at first because of the vi-emacs meme war but then I fell in love, its amazing

So what are the differences between Spacemacs, emacs, doom-emacs, and similar? Which one should I go to as a beginner?
And most importantly, how good is it for writing in LaTeX? Right now I'm using TeXstudio, but if I can do everything I have to do just using one thing, I'll do that

Because I watched a video and being able to output easy LaTex, html, and having a todo list/presentation tool all in one package seemed really nice but then it's emacs.

IMHO, start with vanilla emacs, see what you like, dont like can config from there.
If you use someone else config file you will be following what THEY think is the better config, not necessarily what YOU think is the better config.
The difference between those flavors you mention is just what the maintainer felt is the proper config. Which, again IMHO, vanilla emacs is the proper config.
And Emacs is more than capable for writing LaTeX files. Many people use it with LaTex

Emacs is a Lisp interpreter and text editor (in that order)
Spacemacs and doom-emacs are "distributions" on top of emacs.
both of them are big configurable bundles of plugins and sane defaults that are catered towards vim expats, or those that like modal editing.
Spacemacs is the older of the two, and it shows. Releases are infrequent, it carries a lot of cruft (slow boot up times because it doesn't lazy load). It is however the most mature and probably the most popular distribution.
doom-emacs is newer and faster. It is far more opinionated than emacs, and tries very hard to be fast and vim-user friendly.
It's a lot lighter and a lot more transparent, and modifying it to your needs is much easier (imho).
emacs in general is great for writing latex. It by default comes with a LaTeX mode, and plugins like Auctex add all kinds of useful stuff (inline LaTeX rendering etc). I write all my uni work in emacs with it.

As for, "what's better to start with". I really don't know. I started with spacemacs but i jumped ship quickly. I rolled my own config and then moved to doom because it did 95% of what i wanted it to do, and that 5% was easy to add.
Sorry for the long post i guess.

Emacs general should be a thing, but with better OP

>but then it's emacs.
then you might want to stick with whatever youre working with.

I have my bindings setup to where with two keys and can open a journal, todo list, general GTD done list. So when I am working on something if I want to take a note on something I can quickly capture my idea/note and go back to my workflow.
If you want to organize your thoughts or projects org-mode is good for that and emacs allows easy integration to capture those thoughts.
but then again, its emacs so you might just want to just fuck off.

So both "distributions" of emacs are just for converting vim users? Given that I really don't like vim, I'll just go for normal emacs then.
Thanks for the help. Time to go learn it

you made the smart choice.
Vim kiddies need these distributions because of their reliance on vims tit.
Using the control modifer might get some getting used to, but dont listen to the RSI meme. Rebinding control to capslock helps a lot.

>but then again, its emacs so you might just want to just fuck off.
lol think i'll learn it to spite you. thanks for the encouragement

What plugin do you use to organize buffers when you have a shit ton of them open?

They're not just for vim users, but that is both of their primary purposes.
Both of them have "holy mode" or similar which removes the evil.
There are also other emacs distributions without evil mode, but i've not looked into or used any of them.

ivy-switch-buffer
C-c C-k to kill. All i need.

My boss and one of my instructors are emacs users, and after using vim for years, I figured I should finally try it out.

I'm hooked. I find the shortcuts more intuitive and I enjoy the extra features it has; I don't need vim and tmux panes when emacs can do that and more. Praise be to Saint Ignucius.

Not going to lie, something about RMS' general set-up of command-line only tiny-laptop seems really cute.

helm-buffer-list for general buffer selection
ibuffer for mass cleanups of pdf buffers and such

Honestly, you really dont need anything to "organize" them.
It is something to get used to with the idea that everything is a buffer and you can have 100's of buffers if you never close anything, but its really not that bad. Just type C-x C-b and type a few letters of what you want to switch to and you go to that buffer. Or if you really do have OCD and want to keep your buffers clean, just C-x k when you are done with the buffer.
It is a weird concept to get used to because you think that having a bunch of buffers open is a bad thing, welp... in emacs its not.

To put it simple: the current vim is shit. It's becoming a clusterfuck of things (shell anybody?) instead of doing one thing and doing it well (as it advertise itself). Use vi/nvi if you are serious about the "vi way". Or just use Emacs with evil: it'll do many things, but it'll perform better than vim in any case.

got any good links to org-mode best practices? I'm starting a new job soon, and had a quick peek at org-mode - I'm intrigued by the concept, but not fully convinced it won't end up being a clusterfuck of confusion and not being able to remember vital org-mode keystrokes to make sense of it all..

this guy help me understand most the concepts of org mode.
youtube.com/watch?v=SzA2YODtgK4
Understand the concept of capturing
orgmode.org/manual/Capture-templates.html
You can type C-c c to open org capture mode and then in your config file you will setup your own files you want to associate with different things. In the example they have Todo and Journal.
So if you want to add something to your Todo list you will type C-c c and then t, type in your todo node and then C-c C-c to save and close and go about your day. if you wanted to write something in your Journal you would just type C-c c and then j. If you want to customize a file for something special you just add it to your .emacs config with its own special char besides t or j.

cont...
This is all I have for my org-mode config/notes. ofc you can get as deep as you want
(setq org-capture-templates
'(("t" "Todo" entry (file+headline "~/org/gtd.org" "Tasks")
"* TODO %?\n %i\n %a")
("i" "In" entry (file+headline "~/org/agenda.org" "In")
"* IN %?\n %i\n")
("a" "Agenda" entry (file+headline "~/org/agenda.org" "Tasks")
"* TODO %?\n %i\n")
("j" "Journal" entry (file+olp+datetree "~/org/journal.org")
"* %?\nEntered on %U\n %i\n %a")
("p" "Project" entry (file+headline "~/org/project.org" "In")
"* TODO %?\n %i\n")))

Cheers, user! I actually watched that video recently, so I'll have another watch and write down some of the essentials. I guess the trick is to have a sensible set-up as well as know how to organise your org files? Do I make an org file for every project / type of task / ..?

yeah having an org file specific to what it is documenting would be a good habbit.
Having one org file with multiple projects could be ok because you can show and hide lists easily, but it doesnt hurt having separate files for specific projects.
These are all design decisions that will need to be decided by the designer.
Org just keeps things organized.

Also reading a book on or something on organization can help. The getting things done book that the guy in the video talks about is good for general workflow setup.
Basic concept is you have an inbox and outbox and you move tasks between those as needed. So everything will be put in your inbox (TODO) until you organize it where you want it to be.

200% agree with that. Distributions are cool and all but ultimately they come with a lot of bloat and take a long time to learn. Slowly making your own emacs over the years, pulling in shit you need from time to time gives you full control and you'll handle extensions better.

Pretty good. You might want to have a look at Org-mode and its latex export function, it's probably the easiest way to write latex documents that I know of.

eww is insanely slow.

Even chrome botnet is better

which do you prefer and why?
shell, eshell, term?
I have just been using shell because its the most familiar, term seems weird cause i dont want to loose my emacs keybindings to use it and eshell i have not experimented with.

for those that dont know I am refering to
M-x shell
M-x eshell
M-x term

I think term is fun because you can run ncurses applications in it.
But usually I prefer using eshell.
It's like a shell, meaning it does what you'd expect from a shell (i.e. run other programs from it).
But you can also run emacs functions in it which is really neat. In fact any elisp expression just works.
It's like having both a shell and a repl at the same time.

Here's a video about eshell.
youtube.com/watch?v=RhYNu6i_uY4
He talks a little slowly though, so I'd recommend watching it at a higher speed if you're interested.

by term I meant ansi-term

I use eshell for everything that doesn't require a tui, and xterm for anything that does
only tui thing that I use regularly is htop though