Spending more than $200-300 on a device that doesn't last more than 2 years

>spending more than $200-300 on a device that doesn't last more than 2 years.

Why not just buy a great mid-range phone, which is more than enough if you're not an autistic fuck who plays san andreas on your phone, and instead save up your money to get a good laptop instead, which lasts at least 7-8 years?

>muh green bubbles

Attached: serveimage.jpg (2800x1750, 484K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/proprietary/malware-apple.html
stallman.org/apple.html
boingboing.net/2018/09/21/crystal-panopticons.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>caring what randoms on the internet do with their money

Why do poorfags always get so upset at people buying things they can't afford?

I get a potato laptop every three years and save the money.

>People's financial decisions don't affect me
>Market influence does not exist

Attached: 1537021560214.jpg (280x280, 15K)

Because:

>you get a screen that you cant read in daylight
>awful noise cancelling on calls
>an meh camera in low light
>camera is slow to focus
>noise cancelling on video recordings
>security updates
>after sales support

A $1000 phone is $1.30 a day over 2 years. Its not really that much when you consider you are more than likely to have its screen on for a hour plus a day.

Also remember the best camera is the one you have on you. I went the budget route with a cheap windows phone and couldnt take photos of my car one night when I got rear ended at a set of traffic lights. I am not living pay check to paycheck like most Americans so I can afford to have something half decent.

>spending more than $200-300 on a device that doesn't last more than 2 years.
What exactly does this mean? Two or three hundred more than which amount? And if you mean 2 years of updates, Samsung mid range devices aren't exactly known for receiving any more than that (thus not at all fighting fragmentation), while also having little to no custom ROM support for updates beyond those that OEMs intended. In conclusion - anything but Samsung midrange devices.
Whatever the device you're referring to, a drop in price is inevitable after you've successfully paid off the phone through your carrier. Your fault for choosing a failed mobile operating system, what can I tell you? Sadly, the only sensible choice even with the glass back gimmick would be the Mi 8/SE. The best SoC money can buy, fancy AMOLED panel, custom ROM support on the way and all that for around $400. Sadly there is no 3.5mm jack or a micro SD card slot, but at least the sound quality is unaffected and you're not charged the Sun, the Moon and the entire multiverse for it.

I do rocking the Nokia 7 plus atm great phone

I've used my Galaxy S5 for 4 years

Lenovo P70 for almost 4 years now. Still standing great.

my iPhone 5 is 6 years old now

> device that won't last more than 2 years
didn't get a warranty with your device, Tyrone?
> mid-range phone will not be slugish peace of shit in a year
kek
Also you know, social/family life. Good camera is the main feature of todays smarthones. Plus additional features and gadgets that will be a standard in two years.

>samsung
POO

you can get a mid-range from motorola or nokia and still have the things you said. my moto z2 play has

>great AMOLED screen
>great and fast camera, great in low light too.
>fast updates, getting android Pie.

for midrange, only get from moto or nokia, the rest are garbage.

Laptops are trash desu.

>green bubbles
What did he mean by this?

I have this exact model. inb4 shill.

green bubbles is HIGHLY indicative of social status. Autistic freaks like you may not care about green bubbles but social status can help you in so many areas of life whether its a girlfriend or helping to connect better with your colleagues/people above you in the social ladder.

That's like a 2010 meme.

>a device that doesn't last more than 2 years
yeah... that’s gonna be a yikes from me

it's called a pocophone

i get cheap phones but i can see the appeal in paying $400 for something you know will be good over $200 for something that might have small irritations or otherwise break

>he went with a windows phone

This, if all retards bought Apple every other manufacturer would go out of business which would limit my options. Faggots falling for marketing and wasting money also hikes the prices in general up.

I'd like to have the one with the kevlar back but no vendor has it here.

Also it has a retarded name, the F1 sounds better.

I have an iPhone 6 and a retina MacBook Pro (Early 2015)

The phone has already lasted me three years, and I expect it will last me a couple more at least

The laptop should definitely last me 7-8 years at least, given that my last MacBook lasted me 8 years.

>buy mid range iphone
>supported for 5+ years and lasts twice that
>costs maybe $100usd more than an equivalent android
>operating system designed for privacy and security, adversarial to glow-in-the-darks

Based.

This.

Almost 8 years ago I spent £230 on an iPhone 3G S and I'm still using it.

Behold king of the poorfags.
I have a few smart phones in a drawer but I stopped using them for almost anything but IM so I decided to try life without one, i can tether it to my laptop/tablet, its been fine.

Attached: BBJBrcn.img.jpg (639x479, 32K)

Becuase I do this with iPhone.
iOS gets updates for 5+ years.
I just buy a 2 year old used phone and use it a few years then rinse repeat.
I've never paid more than $150 for a phone. (current phone, $20 for the actual phone, $100 for a replacement screen since the user broke it, $50 for an otterbox case)

>operating system designed for privacy and security
Only with custom ROMs though.

i really want a current feature phone that supports whatsapp, but it seems like whatsapp is phasing out support for those kind of devices

>iOS
>custom ROMs

I still use my iPhone 5s quite happily five years later. Provided I use it almost exclusively as a phone and RSS reader. Quite happy with the longevity of this device as it received the latest update to iOS 12 this week.

I just bought my first $300 phone, after I bought $100 and $150 phones. No idea if it's a good one since it hasn't come yet.

A $2000 phone is $2.60 a day over 2 years

What kind of phone could you even buy in current year that you can't read in daylight?

>Not buying a gently used flagship from 2 generations ago for less than $100

New mid range to low end phones are dumb as shit. For that “entry level” price of $200, you could have a super phone from 2 years ago that blows it away.

Speed bumps are negligible these days and none of it matters.

> more than 200-300
Not 200-300 more. Learn English, faggot.

Whoops, didn't see iOS.
Keep telling yourself that and try to believe all other points if it makes you feel better.

>more than 200-300
>Not 200-300 more. Learn English, faggot.
What are you even talking about?

First of all, there is no good reason for people not to have kept their phones for 4 years on average. Going forward, phones will stop getting noticably better. I fully expect my new iphone XS, which is 7nm, to be usable literally until it breaks.

Keeping making claims that you can't otherwise backup. Like is Android is more secure than iOS, an actually retarded claim.
Because carriers subsidize me owning my phone and essentially hand me a loan at 0% APR, as such, I take it. Say what you wan't but $15-30 a month + my own standard plan for two years is trivial at best for most people. My iPhone 8, which is on a $15 two year tab, would come up to the cost of $360, which is 60 more than an the shittiest mid-ranger you can find. Not to mention you also need phones, which support your bands, if you're with my carrier for example, you need AWS bands and if not, you're shit out of luck. It's so much easier to walk into your carrier, sign a contract or tab and walk out with a device you know will work and ends up being cheaper, than if you bought it outright.

>Keeping making claims that you can't otherwise backup.
I haven't yet attempted to, because I gave you a benefit of the doubt of you not actually being serious with this. Your iOS is proprietary and there is no way for you to mitigate anything suspicious. Nor are you able to verify if supposed updates actually fix any security holes. No Android OEM is trustworthy either, but Android in itself is open source and custom ROMs built on it can even be used without Google apps. As expected, Apple has been caught in shady and privacy opposed practices many times:
gnu.org/proprietary/malware-apple.html
stallman.org/apple.html
And now this:
boingboing.net/2018/09/21/crystal-panopticons.html

>sources
>GNU
>Stallman
Opinion discarded from the start.

Yea, if you make the definition of malware, as broad as any bug and or thing included with the software, in which, you don't like, you can just about make anything out to be malware.
>Android in itself is open source and custom ROMs built on it can even be used without Google apps
The majority of Android phones:
1. Don't have an unlockable boot-loader
2. Don't have enough users to warrant a decent developer community
3. Aren't provided code needed to have a fully functioning device
To pretend as if Android is "open source," is laughable at best and dishonest at worst.

moto Jow Forums 2014 still going

By buying Apple shit they enable them to make more shit that is even shittier. Think notch.

>2. Don't have enough users to warrant a decent developer community
There are over 2,000,000,000 active Android devices you retard.

Attached: 1537541684313.gif (500x669, 440K)

there isn't a single laptop on the market worth buying

>Doesn't last more than two years
Funny, the only reason my wife's iPhone SE that was purchased 3/2016 had to be retired last week was because she left it in her pants pocket and washed it. I have a Samsung Galaxy S in my car that I bought 12/2010 connected to my car stereo via aux for dat Wolfson DAC that works great (though granted it's only used for playing local music from SD and streaming from my home server with a data-only SIM), a Galaxy S3 purchased 7/2012 running emdebian under the Android kernel as a tiny web server for my start page just for shits and grins, and I anticipate my current S8 that's coming up on 2 years next April will follow suit and long exceed the 2 year mark. Though to be fair, I'll likely have to replace the battery at some point after the 2 year mark, but that's trivial if you're not a retard.

Most Android phones aren't used by more than a million people.

My iPhone 6s Plus is 3 years old. I bought the 128GB model for $650 and it’s showing no signs of slowing down yet. Shit flies with iOS 12, so I’ll keep it for at least another year.

>had my galaxy s5 for over 3 years
what phone should i buy today if money wasn't a big deal for me?

thinking the S9+ (don't want a note 9, too large)

iPhone XS or XS Max

To be fair, the iPhone life cycle is 6 or so years if you take care of it

phones are becoming more and more delicate, and harder and harder to fix, (((they))) WANT you to spend more money!

My 6s plus cost me $450 and I've had it for 3 years. It shows no signs of slowing down and I'll probably have it for several more years. Not sure what I'll do when Apple stops supporting it because I like the headphone jack and Bluetooth audio sounds like shit.

>that doesn't last more than 2 years

my Note 4 lasted more than 2 years and still had plenty of life, but I wanted something different at this point.

>$200 - $300 for a toy
>everyone thinks they NEED a smartphone
>people wonder why they can't afford rent or health insurance

officialy it's only 2-3 years before discontinuation.

XPS 13

based moto!

depends. some cases yes. other cases, a new midrange may have a better screen, camera or better support and connectivity than an old flagship. my moto z2 play has a better screen, faster updates, and similar camera to my v20

>XPS 13
We have a fleet of these at work. Intel chipset issues out the ass. Bluetooth randomly stops working, auto randomly stops working, display problems, you name it.

just insall linux dude. windows blows

2015 Macbook Pro

How long has the iPhone 6 been updated? I don't own an iPhone ironically.

>p-please buy this latest Xiaomi every 6 months
>I-I'll even offer a discount code exclusive for Jow Forums

maybe you can get a lightning-audiojack adaptor

>Not even attempting to read the sources
>Discarded
Yeah, good job. You got this. That's how it works.
>Don't have an unlockable boot-loader
Then buy one which has.
>Aren't provided code needed to have a fully functioning device
Buy phones which have. And if by fully functioning you mean Samsung Experience™ novelty apps like heart rate monitors and fitness apps, just don't.
>To pretend as if Android is "open source," is laughable at best and dishonest at worst
There's no pretending. Do you not know what AOSP is? Also, Samsung for example has been known for not exactly cooperating with developers since the days of the S5 even with published kernel source codes (partly because of the Exynos SoCs and partly because they're not really interested in supporting device modification like in the past). And again, you have an option of choosing a device which has better custom ROM support.
>Things that only happen in my head

>on the market

Stop shipping cocaine Pablo

there are more iphones supporting ios 12 than phones that are discontinued

5S from 2013 is the oldest that gets ios 12

The Z2 is a flagship though

5 years for an $800 product is pretty good I'd say. $200 dollars every two years seems excessive, especially when you spend $160 a year technically for an iPhone. Given, you'll get better security and an all around smoother product. Maybe you can rotate between iPhone and android every few years until an iPhone comes out that looks like it won't depreciate extremely quickly.

Payment phones make sense at retail price, but otherwise it depends. Interest rates generally are approximately zero so it's not like holding on to more of your cash is anything worthwhile. Credit is ubiquitous because there's essentially no way to save with liquidity.

Are you dumb? Not more than 200 or 300 in total.

I got my iPhone 7 for $300 on sale. I plan to use it for 4 years at least.

>buying a phone every two years

>doesn't last more than 2 years
That's what you get for buying a phone that doesn't get updates.

>save up your money to get a good laptop instead
Why not both? If you need to safe money, even 200 for a phone is too much. If you aren't a poorfag, it's all barely noticeable pocket money.

>which lasts at least 7-8 years
Ahahaha. No. Displays improved massively over that time and likely will again, CPU efficiency is on another level with passively cooled laptops and battery life changed a lot too without requiring you to have some 2kg meme.

Now that Apple officially killed phone sized phones the market is fucked though.

I'm using a 2014 Moto X that I bought for $90 two years ago. (It came with a little burn-in on the nav buttons tho)

I bought a Nokia 8 for €399, my previous phone was a Samsung j5(2016) which I got for €249.

>good
>laptop
pick one
get the desktop equivalent and save the remaining money for your next car.

which phone?

>good
>car
pick one
get the bike equivalent and save the remaining money for your next helicopter.

>get the bike equivalent and save the remaining money for your next helicopter.
good point, I'm putting my car on ebay as I write this.
Can't wait to drive my new helicopter.

>ggod
>bike
pick one
get the skateboard equivalent and save the remaining money for your next private jet

>device that doesn't last more than 2 years.
My nexus 5 says hi.

>That's what you get for buying a phone that doesn't get updates.

yeah. that's why i don't recommend brands that aren't motorola, nokia, or the pixel. sony is okay too.

>Ahahaha. No. Displays improved massively over that time and likely will again, CPU efficiency is on another level with passively cooled laptops and battery life changed a lot too without requiring you to have some 2kg meme.

computers stopped advancing rapidly since the early 00s, buddy.

the official support was dead long time ago.

>Why not just buy a great mid-range phone
But that's precisely what I did. I got my iPhone SE used a couple of months ago and absolutely love it, and I didn't even have to pay a 10th of the price of an iPhone XS or even Xr for it.

Attached: IMG_0390.jpg (2448x3264, 1.13M)

the SE was a classic. the only iphone i ever thought of buying. shame they killed it. fuck apple's new devices.

The phones I purchase I tend to keep using until they don't function anymore. My Casio G'zOne Rock lasted from 2010 to 2016, at which point I got an iPhone 6s literally given to me for free (no contract, just a friend who wanted to upgrade to the 7). Now I got an iPhone 8 256GB for less than 2 dollars per month over a 30 month contract. I don't like android phones (and never have), and I don't like the new iPhone X models, so I'm planning on sticking with the iPhone 8 for as long as it can connect to towers.

>good
>private jet
pick one
get a pair of socks and save the remaining money for your next commercial airliner so you can make money off of it too

>his jeetdroid doesnt even last 2 years
many such cases. sad.

>computers stopped advancing rapidly since the early 00s
Sure, they don't have leaps like smartphone or iPhone > iPhone 4 anymore but there is still a massive difference between a laptop now and from 5 years ago.

You think that's funny, I used to know this dumb broad with $60,000 in debt, who'd go through a $600 phone every year because she kept breaking them, and regarded replacement as being almost the same thing as upgrading. When you factor in compound interest and dismally pricey contracts, she must have spent $10,000 to have a fucking phone for 8 years.

>not finding some white cuck to pay for her debt
Being too dumb to hold a phone seems like the least of her worries.

Who cares? It's not like OP has bothered to do anything other than to get (You)s.

> A meh camera in low light

Oh dear! How will one manage, what with one's hobby of bat photography....