Suppose that quantum computer become viable and you get a job as a programmer on a company that needs some quantum...

Suppose that quantum computer become viable and you get a job as a programmer on a company that needs some quantum calculations. Would you need to learn a new logical skill set to program in a computer like that? Or programming on it would basically be the same, but with more resources?

Attached: the-leftovers-season-3-episode-8-nora-carrie-coon.png (620x420, 380K)

Other urls found in this thread:

microsoft.com/en-us/quantum/development-kit
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-electron_universe
quantumexperience.ng.bluemix.net/qx/editor
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Suppose that quantum computer become viable
They are already "viable". Why do you think so much funding is poured in their development? But to answer your question... I have no idea what programming language a qbit computer would use. It's a totally different ballgame compared to classical computers.

I meant viable for a normal joe to buy it.

Normal Joe would not need one.

microsoft.com/en-us/quantum/development-kit

It's not the dystopic sci fi tech you think it is. It's business as usual, just some quirky physics that makes certain algorithms run faster (traveling salesman, searching in big data, optimization problems).

Sorry for breaking your bubble.

The unenlightened mind is one of the most amusing ones. I'm sorry to bust your anonymous poster. But the implications of Qubit computers on society will be that of the Internet times the amount of electrons in the Universe. It's implications are unprecedented and unforseeable.

I thought the only algorithm that actually would run faster on quantum computer was translated to a normal computer by a genius kid on some university somewhere.

There are a lot of algorithms that are known to perform better, the problem is that we don't have the hardware to run them yet. They typically scale with the number of qbits in the hardware. But increasing the number of qbits is a difficult problem because of inherent limitations in how electrons and photons work. But if those problems can be solved, and it seems like they can with sophisticated engineering, then we will start to see hardware with sufficient amounts of qbits for those algorithms to perform better than traditional computers. It's pretty well known what class of problems quantum computers will excel at and what it will means for computing and all of us. And it's not that big of a deal really, we have to switch encryption algorithms to quantum resistant ones, weather, nuclear and biological simulations will see a nice bump in performance, and problems that involves searching through or optimizing large amounts of data will also run faster. That's about it. So calm your tits everyone, it's gonna be an evolution of the tech not a revolution.

So the world as we know it might change forever?
Or not?

If it can run something like AI for video games, it might become a separate special purpose computer like a GPU. Given enough time, every computer would ship with one.

AI is a very low priority for video games

check forest sdk. python compiles into quantum language

I think you consume to much anime desu

oof

I is a very low priority for video gamers

meme ? return true : return false ' return truefalse;

if(1=1){
return true;
}

>>>compiler tells you: well it could be true but Idk, is it true?

t. Quantum Mechanics

What if there's only one electron in the universe?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-electron_universe

T a = 1;
a'; //(new operator for quantum);
a+1;

>>>compiler t3lls you: warning you are adding one electron thus creating mustard gas

Attached: whatthehell.gif (410x305, 1.09M)

Wouldn't it be a problem that it needs to be cooled to near absolute 0? Or am I outdated on this subject

So the universe runs on Chromium?

I'm working on the quantum computer at my uni for my masters and no they are not viable in the way OP describes. Right now we have them running with 50 bits (qbits) at a time. Try programming something with that. It's gonna be another decade before we can get them to the level of self error correcting too, ie to the point where they'll be able to actually do anything.

Haha LMAO, why would you post that? Since quantum computers couldn't be put in that theory, since, when you touch a particle that has had an interaction with another particle, if you move the first one, the second one would vibrate.

So, EVERY ELECTRON IS VIBRATING thus, when I piss, the consequences would be Much Much Much Bigger.
>let me take a piss
>somewhere an Hydrogen atom split and atomic bomb.

B-but

Depends on what kind of game you're talking about and how it's designed. AI is not a priority because it's not good enough nor efficient enough yet. It's just like with raytracing, in a couple of years it will become commonplace in vidya and people will complain if it's not there, yet it wasn't viable for decades.

>AI is not a priority because it's not good enough nor efficient enough yet.
No it's because it's a waste of time for all the video game genres that are popular right now
AI is as good as it needs to be for every game that isn't a strategy sim like Civilization, strategy game AI could be way better than it is on current technology if they invested the time and resources, they just don't because it's not worth it

Ooh ooh ooh I'm taking a class on Quantum computation right now so I feel like I'm super qualified to answer.

The main power that quantum computers provide is the quantum fourier transform, which is exactly like the normal discrete fourier transform, but it operates on the state of a qubit, and when you measure the result, you get back one value, not the whole distribution, and the one value is just sampled from the distribution.

I'm simplifying a lot, obviously.

So you can do everything like a normal computer, but with this one extra power which is completely weird and very powerful.

>the joke
whoooosh.gif

We shouldn't Quantumize Automations because unexpected behavior is a "THING " in quantum mechanics.

Like literally it's the fundamental of quantum mechanics.

Quantum is a meme for CS memers who think virtual reality it's the next thing.

Lmaoing at you and the Quantumers, the all look like retards.. just look th3m up on google

>t. Theoretical Physicist

>unexpected behavior is a "THING " in quantum mechanics.
unexpected behavior is already a thing in probabilistic computation, and with a good enough algorithm the probability of failure becomes vanishingly small.

I'm not sure I understand your point.

>th3m
Who are they?

Like said. It's a completely new logical skill set, yes: there are completely new gates. Quantum computing is extremely unlike classical computing. Some things are faster. Some things are not (while you technically can do things like on a normal computer, they would be much slower).

Think of it as the weirdest DSP you ever programmed.

IBM have a 5-qubit quantum computer you can literally just try out.
quantumexperience.ng.bluemix.net/qx/editor

That's what they said about normal computers