/spg/ - Smartphone General

Huawei Mate 20 Pro Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: 9c9be8769866b7055e5ec61949d9b438.jpg (2048x1254, 347K)

Other urls found in this thread:

kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-leeco-letv-le-s3-3gb-x522
support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-30240
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Whats the least shitty iphone? 6, 7, or 8?

i wanna instal lineageos on it tho

iPhone SE

Help me choose /spg/

I have an Sony Xperia Z1 Compact with LineageOS (8.1 Oreo), it still works great for my use but I wish I had fingerprint reader and bigger screen.

Now I'm thinking about Redmi Note 5 or Pocomeme, I know that poco has a great value but if I'm not gaming or using cpu heavy apps, is it really worth it? I just communicate with people, check the web, take photos. Long LineageOS support is also important.

So now I'm leaning towards RN5, are there any better options? Maybe something with better camera? But I take my Fuji camera if I want to take nice pics. So I don't really know now, as you can see.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 142K)

Going to upgrade from an iPhone 4S to a Xiaomi A2 Lite. Good or bad choice? Should I get the chink version (Redmi 6 Pro) instead?

Attached: Global-Version-Xiaomi-Mi-A2-Lite-5-84-Inch-4GB-64GB-Smartphone-Black-691724-[1].jpg (1000x1000, 49K)

Huawei. Is this the brand that spies on you?

All tech that isn't completely FOSS is spying on you, you consumer electronics retard.

The one with a headphone jack, and without a notch.

>All tech that isn't completely FOSS is spying on you, you consumer electronics retard.
Some tech spies on you more than others, and that's where huwei excels.

US
AT&T
Under 100

As for features not a lot of bloatware. I use bluetooth headphones so jack isn't necessary

Be honest guys are those Chinese phones good? I'm obviously new to your general

Elephone
Umidigi

Thank you

Oh to get a scale of what I'm working with since my recent phone just shat on me was a ZTE Zmax 2. That one did me good and did everything I wanted so something comparable?

Any phones with band 71, a 3.5mm headphone jack, and an unlocked bootloader?

>buy a new phone with a microSD card slot
>get excited about the infinite possibilities of using it
>slowly realise basically the only use cases i have are storing music, storing TV shows in case i have a flight cancelled or something and have to hang around for 8 hours doing nothing and storing ebooks i'll never read because lol tiny screen
ah yes

>not having your entire bhutanese woodcarving collection on your SD card

OP6

You could get a LeEco Le S3, it's got an official LineageOS build and Pixel Experience among other ROMs so you're not stuck on a chink ROM
kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-leeco-letv-le-s3-3gb-x522

none of those phones, except maybe the Umidigi's, will work in the states, definitely not the Elephone
consider going a little over your budget, Moto G5+ open box, but brand new not used, on eBay for $129 and if you have any eBay codes/coupons, it will be cheaper and guaranteed to work

Are there any Android apps that allow control over what other apps can access the internet?
I'm tired of the Sony What's New bullshit and I don't feel like messing with the OS just to disable it.

Oh, and it's got all the important bands for AT&T

Attached: Screenshot_20180922-173114.png (720x816, 114K)

Yes

Just disable it with ADB, it's a 5 minute job and you only need to do it one time.

>A2 Lite
It's shit. Get the standard A2

>A2
No headphone jack, no MicroSD slot, 1000mah less battery. It's even worse.

It is, if you believe NSA, CIA and FBI. And why wouldn't you, they have your best interest in mind.

anyone waiting for the S10?

>pixel 3 looks like a minor upgrade from pixel 2

>waiting for a $1k disappointment
that's a hard pass

Attached: 1489624793420.png (325x336, 60K)

>tfw Handlet
>tfw Apple discontinued small phones

I hate big phones. I hate them.

>Huawei. Is this the brand that spies on you?
Don't even bother with those questions. Even if something eventually gets discovered, it's not much use when the users could've done nothing to mitigate any backdoors software wise. Always make sure to buy a device with an unlockable bootloader and custom ROM support.

Is the S8 still worth it?

Wht do you guys think of the rumored Mi Mix 3? Pic related.

Attached: Mix3.webm (406x720, 852K)

No. The 835 in the end is not powerful enough to overcome Samsung Bloat. The 845 finally has the raw power to drive through the feces of Samsung Experience and not bog down after 3 months.

I have a Samsung S7 that's a useless laggy piece of shit.
Is a factory reset the end all of options to get it to some semblance of working order?
Or are there any other options I should try first?

install lineage

If the battery is replaceable and If someone still makes batteries for it in 2020. Battery will be dead in 3 years of it's making +-months (+atleast a year of daily use).

Try clearing the cache first in settings -> storage -> internal storage -> cached data -> delete

Then wipe the cache partition:
support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-30240

Also, uninstall / disable the apps you're not using.

There are also no any AOSP based custom ROMs, so the 835 stands defeated by Samsung Experience™ and will continue to do so.

If nothing works and I have nothing to lose maybe.
Tried both of these.

reminds me of the old nokia n9* series
hopefully applel copies this soon, so we can have slider phones back

Wait, I didn't do this, did something else.
Will this delete anything or should I back up first?

You won't lose any data from just wiping the cache

The letdown becomes all out sour some months/years down the line when the card randomly goes corrupt and loses all your shit

Cool, I'll give this a shot. If this doesn't work is the last shot a factory reset or whatever kind of reset?

Has there been any talk on the Pixel 3 camera? I want to buy the Pixel 2 but if 3 has a significantly better one I was wondering if i should wait.

I'd wait just to see what it is and if it's not an upgrade just get a Pixel 2 because they'll be cheaper by then

Oh, I see. I'll stay away from it then.

If only it had a headphone jack...

I just found out that Xiaomi puts ads even on the fucking settings. You can remove them with a custom ROM, right?

Also, this won't fuck up my SD card right?

Only if you're in a specific region (chink or pajeet) Custom roms (even MIUI based ones) obviously have no ads, but keep in mind you need to wait for bootloader unlock permission before you can flash them.

>but keep in mind you need to wait for bootloader unlock permission before you can flash them
What do you mean? Isn't it like other phones?

Just went to update my LineageOS but twrp says 0mb in storage. Googled a bit and it seems I will have to wipe all data. Is that right or am I being memed on?

They recently increased the wait time before they approve the unlock after you apply for one. I don't know the details since I never unlocked officially.

Should I get Nokia 7 plus or wait till 7.1 plus comes out? , does SD 710 have significant upgrade over SD 660?

Do NOT, I repeat do NOT, buy a Le Shit phone. I currently a Max 2 and it's absolute garbage (yes, even with a custom ROM)

Any Zuk z2 upgrade for 200€

wait and yes

not for that price

> wait time before they approve the unlock after you apply for one
Oh, shit. I didn't knew that's how it is. I feel kinda of reluctant to get a Redmeme now.

Yeah, factory reset is the last resort. If you do it I suggest you do a complete factory reset (including wiping the internal storage), and do a fresh start when you're setting it up again (don't let it restore app data from your Google account).

No

Under 300 then?

>Oh, shit. I didn't knew that's how it is. I feel kinda of reluctant to get a Redmeme now.
Why? It's still one of the most developer friendly manufacturers.

I don't really like the idea of having apps on the system (for some reason they do appear in my region).
I planned on installing a custom ROM on day one with it too.

Still, I'll probably still get one since there's no better option and Pocomeme won't be coming to my region. I wanted the MI A2, but no headphone jack makes it a hard buy.

Pocophone F1 depending on where you can find one, other than that Maybe a Xiaomi Mi 8 SE

Why are there so many poorfags in this thread buying shitty Chinese phones? Genuinely asking? Y'all realize that you're going to get new software support immediately out of the box, lots of lag and bloat. You get what you pay for

Any news on xiaomi mi mix 3?

I got a flagship and it broke. I can't afford a new one right away, so I need a budget phone.

Xiaomi and Huawei have successfully tricked Jow Forums into believing their phones and laptops are Apple quality without the markup

Then go with Moto g6, don't get any of that hauwei/xiomi crap

>Y'all realize that you're going to get new software support immediately out of the box, lots of lag and bloat. You get what you pay for
which is access to an unlocked bootloader because I'd rather have amateur developed ROMs on my phone than some shitty OEM ROM with no features worked on by paid developers who suck at their jobs because the OEM told them not to make it good to force obsolesence to make me purchase a new device
why are you wasting in excess of $500 on a phone user? do you like making poor financial decision? you do know what they say about a fool and his money, right?

>pay $300 for no support, lots of lag and bloat
>or pay $800 for no support, lots of lag and bloat
difficult choice

>he thinks its practical to flash roms all the time
user you arent a very busy person are you? Especially if it's a nightly build. Fuck that

>Moto g6
Spd 450 for that price? Kek.

5 years ago this would have been a legit question

But I don't have any issues like that on my Pixel 2 XL

It's 250

i work and hardly have time, its called making time you dipshit, and the only nightlies I've ever used were CM/Lineage builds which are OTA, so you're argument is shit
and flashing isn't necessary if the ROM is stable which are the only ones I flash in the first fucking place, moron

Anyone know how to fix this? Android, google app, search tab works, but any results are shown blacked over ...
When i send in feedback it automatically sends a screenshot with it, there it shows up normal. Im at a loss

Attached: Screenshot_20180922-182547.png (1080x1920, 52K)

>It's 250
and not even worth that price when the Moto Z2 Force is selling for $299.99 and open box G5+s a better phone from last gen, lol) are $129

BLACKED

Then get that instead of Huawei or xiaomi. Jow Forums so concerned with being spied on but they go ahead and buy Chinese phones that literally send their information to the Chinese government

>It's 250
Yeah, and the redmeme is cheaper and better.
And the price difference is specially high in my region.

Battery is dying on my Axon, always was a big drainer. Any recommendations for unlocked phones with good battery life around 200-250?

Heard that Zenfone 3 Zoom has a pretty good battery life, but the Oreo update seems to be buggy.

Moto G6 Play also boast a big battery but I don't know if it cuts corners too much on everything else, considering there is little difference in price compared to regular g6

I am not sure about that sliding mechanism since the guy in the webm has to use his finger on the screen. I hope there is a way to lock the phone from sliding somehow.

I'm not that other user, just pointing out how your advice is complete shit, and the only reason I don't recommend Huawei is because they tutned into complete dicks about their bootloaders, Xiaomi and Asus are fine, and Moto's are owned by Lenovo moron, they're basically chink phones now

country and carrier?

Mi Max 3? It's pretty famous for its battery life.

>interested in a Galaxy S8
>"let me watch a video reviewing it!"
>it has a DEDICATED button for some personal assistant BS that you can't re-map

Noooooope.

Attached: 1533440978044.gif (200x200, 3.89M)

AT&T, Mexico

>even considering buying scamsung

Blacked raw?

Redmi Note 5 Global
Mi A2 or A2 Lite

>3 camera lenses
>flash
>fingerprint scanner
That looks disgusting

The Google app is a buggy piece of shit.

You might be able to find a XZ1 Compact or Nokia 8 under 300€.

Give me a reason to go for the Redmi Note 5 and not the Mi A2 without being the headphone jack.

Mine works great, make a backup and factory reset it.. hopefully that'll work.

1000mAh extra battery

Thanks for all the help.
I'll post back sometime if I need to do the real reset.

Forgot to mention someone told me to clear or reset dalvik, but I don't know what that is or how to do that. Thoughts?
Factory reset is my next idea.

So do ads only show up in chink/pajeet ROMs and not the global ROM?

essential phone 128 GB for $300

SMASH or pass?