Are extended warrenties worth it generally, or is it just a scam?

Are extended warrenties worth it generally, or is it just a scam?

Attached: 1537107053396.png (225x156, 46K)

Scam

If they are asking money for them they are always a scam no exceptions.
But if they are free, just requiring a registration, then they can be worth it though still a bit shitty they don't just expand the normal warranty.

>buy a hard drive at microcenter
>pay $5 for extended warranty
>fails in a year and a half
>get it replaced with a higher capacity drive for free and have the option to buy another $5 extended warranty on the replacement
>get it
>fails in a year and a half too
>get it replaced too
Microcenter's warranties are the only ones I'll buy.

Worked out well for me
>Last year of high school
>Get bad Lenovo Y510p gaming laptop
>Dad refuses to not get extended warranty
>Fast forward year and a half
>The gpu shits out
>Ship it off 3 times all for free, never gets fixed
>Eventually they cut me a check for the full MSRP without depreciation
>Use it to build an actual computer

Attached: 1537561864941.gif (108x89, 231K)

depends entirely on the company , for instance , a dell warranty isn't worth the price

Depends on who's backing and servicing it. If it's the manufacturer, it MAY be worth it, but it it's not, it's definitely garbage.

For Apple products, it's worth it in small numbers. If you have one or two overpriced memebooks or iPads in the house, it can be worth it, because they are purposefully difficult to service. If you're a company and have dozens, it's cheaper to buy 10% extra and use them when the expected failures happen. Or at whatever rate you estimate.

You have to do the math on it. It's easy math, so just work it out.

Most hard drives come with 3 or 5 year manufacturer warranty.

What drive model was it and how much warranty did they TELL you it had before selling the "extended" warranty?

Depends. I've been using the same 2 year warranty system on my GPUs at Micro Center for years now. I first bought a GTX 670 and I've been trading in every two years to upgrade to something newer. It's just wise if you want to buy a card around the same price. You have to pay another $20 for the warranty + variance between the card if it costs more.

You can even break even when upgrading to a card with a rebate to pay for the warranty.

So at most, you'll spend $20 + whatever on a new GPU every ≤2 years. Their 3 year is a rip off though.

Some Hitachi Travelstar
I'm sure it had a manufacturer warranty, but claiming it would have involved shipping the disk back to the manufacturer, waiting a few weeks, and then maybe getting a refurbished disk back if they decide that the damage wasn't caused by me.
With the microcenter warranty, I just bring it back and go grab a disk off the shelf that's approximately the same price (but can be whatever model or capacity) and leave with it.

Generally they're for normies who don't know anything about tech. If you know what you're doing it's fine

I remember my laptop's ram stick became loose and wouldn't turn on. Just opened it myself and reattached it. If you can do little things like that you'll be fine

If you're good at keeping track of your records, if its only few dollars, if the store you're buying is reputable then its good.

They can be useful for mobile devices
If you're buying something you may drop and break, then you might want it. (Be sure to save ALL paperwork and original receipt). For any other case though they are really pretty much a waste.

It's a scam, but the service you get might still be worth it. E.g. an important laptop you need, and if it fails it needs to be fixed the next business day, no matter what.

I'm buying an I5 lads, is an extended worth it? The Intel warrenty seems shit.

Scam, unless it's really cheap and the product is really prone to fail, like a HDD.

>he can't fix it himself

a fucking ditto

CPUs simply don't die unless you overvolt them like crazy. I've never seen a dead CPU in my life, and I worked in a tech repair store for 4 years.

Just a scam. They make money off the warranties, which means the probability that you'll use the warranty is low. It's a gamble against your favor.

Statistically you lose money, after all they are marketed to you by companies that want a profit not by charities. Since you buy a lot of electronics it would be highly improbable that you will overall gain money from extended warranties. With cars or other expensive equipment not only is the chance bigger but also the punishment is more disastrous to you, so I would consider extended warranties there (they also generally cost less in comparison to the item price).

do you think they would offer it if it was worth it?

Statistically they are never worth it, as otherwise it wouldn't be profitable for the company to offer them. But if you really need it, e.g don't have money to buy a new one should it fail, and the manufacturer/law-given warranty is too bad, then they might be worth it, but those situations are rare.

I buy them for motherboards now.

In case of smartphones extended warranty is worthbuying thing
I wish I had bought extended warranty for my xiaomi for drowning it and other shit
t. someone who fell into lake with phone in pocket

depends on the warranty. if it's a "free new replacement no questions asked" then it doesn't hurt to intentionally break your [whatever] and get a new replacement under warranty

depends. most are not worth it, but some might turn out useful.