Seagate 5TB bad sectors

Hi,

Some time ago I unplugged the wrong Seagate 5TB USB drive and when I plugged it back in, it started behaving strangely. It would freeze my machine, take a long time to show up.

A scan with HDTune looks like pic related.

How the fuck can unplugging a drive while it's running fuck it up so badly?

I've reformatted it before scanning with HDTune btw.

Am I looking at bad sectors here? Why the fuck isn't the firmware in the drive mapping out these areas?

Attached: Hmm.png (1908x934, 50K)

Other urls found in this thread:

superuser.com/questions/805122/hdd-bad-sectors-chkdsk-versus-hdtune
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

SeaTools quick scan fails.

Attached: hmm2.png (1756x520, 50K)

Also, inb4 "Seagate".

The disk is spinning at 7200 RPM and the drive head is moving with precision to write XYZ data to those precise locations. If you unplug power while the drive is spinning and the data is being written, the spin slows down, the precision of the head is lost, and if its in the middle of writing, it might scratch or do something that its not intended to do.

Imagine if you're taking care of a bonzai. You're trying to cut a small piece of branch with surgeon level precision. Instead you get muscle cramp and you cut off a whole section of branch that you didn't mean to.

That's that.

it's true though
keep buying seagates and keep reliving OPs experience
HGST > WD > > Toshiba > anything else > Seagate
holds up for all sizes and years
but regardless of brand why would you waste your time analyzing a drive like this. if it's suspect put it in the trash.
and build an array next time instead of buying one big HDD

>but regardless of brand why would you waste your time analyzing a drive like this. if it's suspect put it in the trash.

I paid $150 for it. If I can, I'd like to keep using it. Surely, it should be possible to map the damaged areas and then keep using the rest of the drive?

what about the warranty you seagate memer

I can't use it because I cracked it open to connect the drive to my machine with SATA.

Maybe someone who knows will show up, I know mapping around bad sectors can be done.

>I know mapping around bad sectors can be done.
The filesystem does this automatically. Just keep using, but don't be surprised if your data start getting corrupted and more bad sectors show up.

>The filesystem does this automatically.

So if I fill the drive with zeroes, then format it and run HDTune again it will all be green? Or does HDTune scan on a deeper level than the filesystem?

Too lazy to explain so I just googled for you, probably has everything you want to know.
superuser.com/questions/805122/hdd-bad-sectors-chkdsk-versus-hdtune

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

Just a follow up question: I have another drive that is really slow, I get about 900KB/s read/write. Got any idea what's causing it? I also unplugged that one while running and now I would like to get my shit off it before reformatting. But at those speeds, it'll take forever.

Maybe it's dying? Have you checked SMART? It can be a bad cable too.

Toshiba is actually > all right now
But they've got to keep that up for a few years before they're just generally above HGST.

>Maybe it's dying? Have you checked SMART? It can be a bad cable too.

Smart is fine, it's connected with SATA. I can browse it it's just a bit slow. And I can transfer shit from it, though incredibly slow. Checkdisk finds no errors.

NTFS? Defrag it

It worked perfectly fine until I unplugged it. I don't think it's fragmented. I suppose I could try, but it seems more like something must have happened to the file system or it just for some reason are starting to fail so it has to read the same sectors over and over again or something.

it's fucked u can't do anything for badsectors

>How the fuck can unplugging a drive while it's running fuck it up so badly

Attached: 1536661620000.png (1063x1063, 245K)

Backup data, replace the drive, send it back to Seagate if there's any warranty left

It's spinning stupid fast in there it's a tradeoff thats made so you can read data at a decent speed. As another user said the filesystem works around this inevitable damage. If you are really paranoid make sure you have a good backup plan in place.

>I have another drive that is really slow
>I also unplugged that one while running

Why keep doing this?

Attached: What.jpg (640x480, 24K)

>Seagate

it's really not a meme. I've had a number of hard drives during my 15 year adventure with PCs, only one of them failed hard. It was a 1TB Seagate.
Also OP, your posts sounds very much like something from a tech support forum, which Jow Forums is not, so pls gtfo.

I safely removed one, unplugged the wrong one, then somehow also unplugged another one that is wrong. I have 4x5TB seagate externals. I've bought 2x10TB internal ones now so I just need to transfer my shit from these two bad ones.

shucking doesn't violate warranty unless the warranty provider can prove that shucking damaged the drive

>Also OP, your posts sounds very much like something from a tech support forum, which Jow Forums is not, so pls gtfo.

I've got my answer now so everything is good in the world. Also, I think Jow Forums works fine as tech support, unlike forums there is occasionally someone on Jow Forums that knows their shit.

Attached: zB4CJXc.jpg (720x540, 67K)

>hey these egg baskets keep failing
>let's buy fewer, larger ones so I can keep all my eggs in one basket

kek yeah I suppose but this time I'm gonna also have a backup

I was planning on using the two failed ones as backup though if i can get them to work..

I have a plan, I'll split rat my shit with 10% parity that way even if sectors fail I can recover enough parts to recover the data with the parity.

split rar*