Hi Jow Forums, redpill me on small computers to connect to the tv and act as multimedia stations

hi Jow Forums, redpill me on small computers to connect to the tv and act as multimedia stations

Attached: tv_connection_antenna_big.jpg (670x800, 49K)

no

lots of people connect a raspberry pi to their tvs for streaming and whatnot. personally I think a small form factor HTPC is the way to go.

What program would you run?

plex

Plex is pretty good. I would run FreeNAS and then put a plex instance on there. Then you could also run transmission with it and you have your torrent and streaming box right next to your tv. Kodi is also good for what it is

>watching tv
Utter waste of time. Even Jow Forums shitposting is more intellectually stimulating, since you're interacting with other people through text and images. Stop watching TV.

Attached: 1535043741182.jpg (705x527, 247K)

Raspberry is too weak even for basic things like web browsing, these days you can get older dual or quad core with 4gb of ram for something like 50$ and it can do most things fine.
I got myself Athlon X3 with 6gb of ram, used old mobo, psu hdd that i had and made new case for it.
It's a bit bigger and uses a bit more power but it's well worth it, i measured about 50W power draw when watching 1080p video with 95W cpu. It can also play some older games.

Attached: 41797676_1115340321957188_8837605208268734464_n.jpg (2048x1152, 159K)

meh, mini comps usually have shit for storage so aren't ideal for multimedia stations unless all you do is stream, in which case a smart tv is a better option

Hook up an rtl-sdr on a raspberry pi and to the interwebs, lots of software would allow toy to stream tv and radio of the sdr to your local network if you want to

too weak for web browsing maybe but for streaming and some retro gaming it is just fine. like I said though personally I run FreeNAS w/Plex and transmission. machine is my old desktop, haswell i5 with 16gb ddr3

>a frogposter with above room temperature IQ
Now I've seen everything

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Jashin-chan Dropkick - 11 [720p]_00:01:49_02.jpg (1280x720, 117K)

huh, can SDR get broadcast tv? never considered that.

I think they will work for that in Europe (DVB-T) but not the US (ATSC)

I got one of those USB TV tuners and it was absolute shit. When analog TV was still around it worked fine on that pathetic FM radio antenna but now that broadcast TV's all digital you can't get jack shit.

lmao, that's coming from an anime outside of /a/ poster?

Attached: 1520112442262.jpg (419x480, 81K)

>not watching TV while shitposting

Those $20 SDR receivers are actually DVB receivers that also work for other shit

ssh and mpv
if you open mpv from a shell, you can control it from that shell with the normal binds. You just have to "export DISPLAY=:0"

newfag detected. This entire website was created for the discussion of anime related topics. Anime is so deeply rooted into Jow Forums the only way you possibly couldn't know this is if you were new or coming from outside this website. Either option requires you to stop posting immediately.

Wow great argument fagtron you sure convinced me with those hot opinions.

yikes

>50w for watching a video
Yeah sounds like a reasonable investment

He even too stupid to browse the web, don't expect anything from fools.

LIVE Sports is the only reason I want free tv

Werks for me.

I think you can go down to like 20W with newer CPUs, but not much lower than that. And new things cost more, so it might not be worth it just for saving electricity. A new NUC with a fanless case is around $500.

If literally all you need is playing videos then sure, a cheap shitty box will do.
Until a new codec comes out, that is...

That's less than old incadescent light bulb, also same as average TV would use. Let's say you use it 4h per day, that's 1460h - 73kWh. In my country that's 5€. And that's with old 95w cpu, new 65w cpu would be much more energy efficient, probably even older c2d or athlon x2.

I am using it to write this post, i sold my gaming pc and using this for most things i do including browsing and playing cs, fortnite or other shit with friends. It's not all maxed like it used to be but its playable, after all it's just for fun, not competitive gaming. However that's with it overclocked to 3.8Ghz and gtx 1060 since i had no use for it till i buy new pc.

Yep, i only mentioned it's because it's dirt cheap, can't compare 10$ athlon with 100$ intel mobile cpu with 20W tdp.
Even old laptop would probably do it, much better alternative to raspberry pi if you ask me.
If new codecs comes out you can still reuse psu, hdd and case, just get new cpu/mbo/ram.

1460h per year*
It's not worth getting new cpu just because it uses less electricity, even when comparing 125W FX vs 95W.

ASRock J5005-ITX

TOP LEVEL AUTISM HERE