/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: headphones starpri thighhighs torn_clothes.jpg (1500x2000, 1.28M)

Other urls found in this thread:

head-fi.org/threads/crinacles-iem-ranking-list-220-entries-22-09-18-update.857498/
outlet.se-shop.de/shops/outlet,
indiegogo.com/projects/vokyl-erupt-gaming-headphones-with-nc-boom-mic#/
diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-a-i/custom-one-pro/
alclair.com/monitorshop/reference/
youtube.com/watch?v=I9OTOAKy2DY
thomann.de/ie/sennheiser_hd600.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>letting the thread 404

Well, at least I can post the alternate version of that picture this time

>Budget
>Source
phone/computer
>Type of headphone
Full
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Max
>Sound signature
Bass that make me go deaf
>Past headphones
ATH M40X, AKG N60 NC, PLANTRONICS BB PRO 2
>Plantronics was ok untill their movement sensor decided to go insane
>AKG N60 NC is ok but not very comfortable for long
>ATH M40X is comfy as fuck but I don't feel dat bass

Attached: FREESTYLE WOJACK.png (1152x648, 26K)

Actually will be using them only with computer, so don't need to be portable

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro.

Opinions on the BeyerDynamic DT990?

Connected a pair of HD598's to an input on my old receiver and was able to here audio from a microphone in the headphones. What the hell is this?

What's your opinion on this IEM tierlist, /hpg/?
head-fi.org/threads/crinacles-iem-ranking-list-220-entries-22-09-18-update.857498/

I wish i had a gf like that.

So get one

Idol trash here. What's your setup like, user?

Attached: 1532735276079.png (1920x1080, 1.59M)

When are you going to Japan for Stax pilgrimage, friend?

Year end, vacation. I'll try to get some job interviews in.

>head-fi.org/threads/crinacles-iem-ranking-list-220-entries-22-09-18-update.857498/
I don't think much of rankings. I would get more use out of his IEM measurements, now made with IEC 711 spec coupler.

beyerdynamics with velour pads

what headphones would wallace use?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 83K)

Nice, I'm going in the same period.
Try to plan some jpop lives in advance, there are Perfume shows in the end of December and Bandori stuff in January

Sennheiser Orpheus

Attached: 2250932.jpg (670x400, 47K)

Are the dt770 pro comfortable with glasses? My ath m50x really hurt my head after 2+ hours

We should arrange an offline unofficial /hpg/ meeting :P
>Perfume shows in the end of December
wtf is that.
>Bandori stuff in January
Intro to arranging these things? (i.e. getting tickets)

Attached: 1532141703962.png (1920x1080, 1.07M)

Anyone with experiences of the Superlux HD665?

It's an alright, if interesting, list. Bear in mind that it's also based primarily on 'technical ability' of each IEM, followed by Crinicle's personal taste in sound. It's great for seeing what's out there, since it has both popular and more obscure/discontinued units. As with any review, don't take it as the gospel, but let it nudge you in the right direction based on your own biases.

My cb-1s sound weaker on the right side. Any way I can fix this?

Attached: status-audio-cb-1-05.jpg (830x467, 38K)

Returning my m50x, pretty disappointed in these. They're quite uncomfortable as well. Any suggestions on replacements around the same price range? Are the dt 770s a meme as well?

Attached: m50x.jpg (413x679, 44K)

My NC500D is only getting audio out of the right ear despite input being on the left. They're old as fuck now and i'm gonna grab the sennheiser hd 280 because i'm in production sound but i just wanna know if i can salvage these bad boys.

Attached: Sony_MDRNC500D_MDR_NC500D_Digital_Noise_Cancelling_Headphones_1283950879000_571816.jpg (345x345, 11K)

m50x is pretty horrible from everything ive seen about them. what made you buy them? the m40x have better sound but they need different pads

to add to this, can one get away with using the 80 ohm version with a phone?

The fact that they had 3 detachable cables and one could plug them into anything

I've been using my DT1990's for a while now with FiiO E9/E7 combo.
Wondering if a different DAC/Amp combo is worth it. This E9/E7 combination is kinda ugly with the phone like portable DAC slotted on top.

>Budget
>Source
Desktop exclusively.
>Type of headphone
Full
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Mid to high. I'm willing to sacrifice some sound quality if it means a lighter build, but not a huge amount, and would not even consider something you would find uncomfortable after 2-3 hours of wear.
>Sound signature
No preference.
>Past headphones
Currently using v-moda crossfades, with have exceptional sound quality, and the pads are good, but they're largely made of aluminum, which means they're pretty heavy compared to plastic. I'm used to it, but I had a lighter pair of chinkshit wireless headphones that felt like nothing and were very comfortable, but due to being chinkshit lasted about 6 months, while the v-modas have lasted I think like 5-6 years and are only just now showing minor signs of wear on the pads and headband despite constant use.

Attached: 1537508101757.jpg (233x349, 23K)

Z for Zeos.

Attached: D862AD47-21B1-4554-96C4-5612ED61E786.jpg (748x805, 60K)

It's worth it purely for aesthetical reasons. It won't give you a better sound, but if you want to have something nicer on your desk, go for it.

Attached: IMG_20180923_180704.jpg (1417x1063, 231K)

bump

>Budget
Somewhere around 150€. Though if a higher budget would make a noticable difference in sound quality I could opt in for more.

>Location
Binland :DD (everything is quite expensive here, maybe I should buy from Germany?)

>Source
Just my home desktop

>Type of headphone
full-sized

>Open or closed
Well whatever has the better sound quality. I'm not going take them out ever and there's no one around me.

>Comfort level
I'll be keeping them on for pretty long sessions, so something very comfy would be appreciated

>Sound signature
Doesn't really matter, something natutal would be nice.

>Past headphones
Some shitty gayming headsets for example HyperX cloud 2.

Also I'll be needing a microphone and I feel like the sound card on my motherboard is really bad judging by all the static in the background if I don't use an external sound card like on the hyperx cloud 2.

Attached: 3d9fae30.jpg (800x800, 37K)

Check out Brainwavz HM5.

I'd recommend looking into shure srh840's. I also had the dt770 and liked the shures much more sound wise. The dt770s are more comfortable out of the box since the shure's headband is a huge piece of heavy rubber so I just got rid of that and used a dt770 headband with them.

sennheiser hd 599 from their outlet (outlet.se-shop.de/shops/outlet, pick whatever is closest to you) plus a modmic or blue snowball.

alternative option: the massdrop hd58x/hd6xx ($150/$200) would both be worthwhile steps up but be prepared to pay for a dedicated amp as well as import duty.

Bought pic related. Did I make the right choice?

Attached: 41TCx1R7yFL.jpg (429x500, 24K)

As far as stores go, I can recommend Thomann, they even do finnish customer service. It's around 12 euros for shipping + it takes like a week for delivery in southern Finland at least. Probably something like Grado SR80e

No.

The 599 from the outlet looks pretty good price wise. Our import tax for imports outside the EU is 24%, so ordering from massdrop would become quite pricey. Also with the 599 would I need an amplifier or a DAC? I mean my shitty built in sound card would probably make even the best headphones sound like crap.

opinions on these?

Attached: 81rT3hR949L._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 129K)

indiegogo.com/projects/vokyl-erupt-gaming-headphones-with-nc-boom-mic#/
please support this guys, they're really good and the headphone market could use more competition

Attached: zznqmsu8hvvetbcqchwy.jpg (695x695, 40K)

Yes.

Maybe.

the 599 are super easy to drive, onboard would be enough. if it's as bad as you say though then something like cheap like the fiio e10k or smsl idea would do the trick. try onboard first.

I hate the spackle and the orange cups. Any FR measurements done by someone with a database yet?

no

Attached: 1534370728194.gif (304x401, 301K)

you can order blue instead of orange, they're considering doing an "all black" headband" but no confirmation yet
they already send a few review units and are adjusting the FR according to feedback received, check the headfi thread where they're answering questions

I just bought one, it hasnt arrived yet though.
Depending on how i like the stock sound i might try the mods mentioned in this link:
diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-a-i/custom-one-pro/

Can anyone explain what V-shaped sound means?

I don't want to burn money on something unproven and not reviewed by someone that does it for a living. They are even going to make their own drivers FFS, how high variability can we expect if they haven't even done a test-run of the production?

Add something like ~50 yuros more and get AKG K712 Pro from Thomann.

Are there any good velour replacement pads for momentum over ears

>flexible budget
>full sized, open
Do some research into HD600. That might be all the headphones you'll ever need.

Attached: 1525966361684.png (1920x1080, 957K)

Other possibilities:
shp9500 (aliexpress sells for good old price)
ath-ad900x (won't stay on some heads)
k612-pro (might be uncomfy headband, needs amp)
All are bright(ish), but good for gaming.
Elevated low and high frequencies.

Thinking about switching from my se215s to alclair.com/monitorshop/reference/ anything I should know before I get my ears filled with colored goo?

It can't be worse than the SE215.

Are you saying se215s are inherently bad?

They're pretty bad.

What do you use?

stax

what is the difference between 599 and 598c?

I'm waiting for those cans and probably getting DT770 VBs right after, will report next week

Idol trash here. HD598 and HD600 owner. I suggest you skip the HD5xx and go straight for HD600. It outclasses them.

Attached: 1508816121051.png (1920x1080, 1.17M)

Are the HD600 series ones actually so much better? Also would I need an amp or a DAC for them?

>Are the HD600 series ones actually so much better?
Yes, definitely. Using HD598 now is like listening to an AM radio from my used-to-HD600 perspective. And they're full modular, so there's a very long term plan for them (if you ever break any piece you can replace it). The HD500-series not so much; you can only replace the pads and head cushion, else it's a half of headphone you'd be replacing, and not worth doing considering the price of the whole.
>Also would I need an amp or a DAC for them?
A DAC for sure if it's for music: They don't take digital input, but analog :D :D :D. Your source probably outputs analog anyway, so no worries ;-).
An amp they would benefit from, but keep in mind:
- They sound good even from a Raspberry Pi or a Nintendo DS (tried both!). It's not as good as with an amp proper, but still far better than HD598.
- Most smartphones and computer motherboards have a builtin amp that's at least sufficient to not bottleneck the HD600 significantly, particularly at non-unhealthy volumes.

Attached: 1520259862210.png (1920x1080, 2.07M)

>if it's for music
*If it's for digital music.

Zeos!

Attached: 9C85DA76-08DA-4C9B-990E-32B278C4F45E.jpg (1583x1242, 757K)

HD600. Veiled. Narrow soundstage. Needs amp.

Interesting. It's just that the 300€ price point just feels pretty steep. Any tips on where one could get them for cheaper?

Sennheiser veil is the worst meme ever.

youtube.com/watch?v=I9OTOAKy2DY
no

>Zeos
>sound demo

Attached: C20E713E-D7A8-4B55-8A48-543AF7B48957.jpg (220x269, 20K)

are the dt770 pro good headphones? or are they being shilled on the internet like crazy? meme me once shame on me, meme me twice..

Attached: hmm.jpg (1200x900, 50K)

Beyerdynamic more like Boomy&Bright.

It's not a meme though. Frequency response shows the veil exists, at least on 650s (which I own). Most people exaggerate what it subjectively sounds like however. It's not a big deal to me for instance. It just means that because the bass is more present, the other frequency ranges can be a bit harder to hear sometimes. But even that is not a rule, it's only some very soft sounds in the lower mids that sometimes aren't as clear as they should be.

what did he mean by this?

>ath-ad900x (won't stay on some heads)
I haven't testes it yet, but i've seen many anons talking about using Brainwavz pads on them, maybe it helps.

the veil is a meme

Attached: HD650 and HD600.png (929x647, 92K)

thomann.de/ie/sennheiser_hd600.htm
It might be even cheaper elsewhere.
Note you're not buying a stopgap headphone, but something that you'll use for decades.

Attached: 1515183506688.png (1920x1080, 1.09M)

You arr waiting for the COP and will also get the DT770? Why?

How are are Grado headphones, never heard of them until the other day and wondering if anyone has some, and what model if so.

Attached: rs1e_alt_600x.jpg (600x600, 31K)

But you can clearly see it in the graphic you just posted, or do you not know how to read a frequency response chart?

HD650 is warmer

Boomer treble for boomer ears.

Attached: 80314387-BB12-4701-9578-87E7D85528B7.jpg (749x800, 182K)

Echoing what that other user said, it seems like a high price but the reality is that you will probably never need to buy another pair of headphones for the rest of your life until either these ones break or some new wormhole-based sonic technology gets invented. It really is worth it to save up some money and wait a few weeks or a month even if that's what it takes.

I got a pair of he400i's what dac/amp combo should I get?

Divide the price by the years you’re going to use them, and suddenly it’s peanuts. It’s a long-term investment in comfy audio, not a flash in a pan.

Modi 3 & Magni 3

Schiit is again at the top of the game with Modi 3, baby.

well alright guess I'm gonna get one of those. By the way what's the difference between the 600 and the 650? They're very similar in price.

HD600 is a bit more neutral (so in this case, a bit brighter) and HD650 is a bit more warmer and bassier. However, the difference is *very* subtle, it’s not like HD600 would be gratingly bright or that HD650 would be a bass cannon.

There's plenty of reviews, even video ones (youtube...) comparing both.
Generally the HD600 is preferred, I can infer because of its neutrality. The HD650 is a colored HD600, deliberately darker and "warmer", which some people do prefer.

Attached: 1535104717425.png (1920x1080, 918K)

Topping D10 DAC, Massdrop Objective 2 Amp.

Attached: hdmud.png (625x486, 42K)

I've heard a lot of good stuff about the tin t2, and they fall right in my budget; are they as good as people say? Also, the t2 pro are on massdrop right now for $50, are they worth it?

Attached: 8cf469d9.jpg (1136x638, 67K)

It will be interesting to see if the Modi 3 measures better than the garbage Modi 2.

while there's niger discussion going on, should i upgrade from m40x to hd600 or should i buy something more expensive than hd600? obviously i want neutral sound for music.

Attached: jIalaRrmqdw.jpg (480x360, 23K)

>or should i buy something more expensive than hd600? obviously i want neutral sound for music.
More expensive than HD600 and yet neutral-ish... kicks your budget up considerably.
The territory of the likes of HD800, STAX L700.
The value / money does obviously drop considerably.