Best laptop for college use?

I'm doing computer science and my budget is basically anything but since my parents are buying it for me I don't wanna be a dick and buy like a $4829 leet gayming laptop or one of the super expensive Mac's, that being said I'm open to suggestions from any os/brand as long as you can prove its the best so no spineless fanboying
Rn I'm considering a cheap ThinkPad/Chromebook

Attached: 18013227_370934813307756_8408174518085877760_n.jpg (1080x1082, 142K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fr.gearbest.com/laptops/pp_786412.html?wid=1349303#goodsDetail
puri.sm/products/librem-13/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Thinkpad, solid af laptops

This got me through school

Attached: c05912549.png (573x430, 140K)

seconded that, plus you can heavily upgrade them later on. then buy a used 1tb ssd

What's the name, looks neat?
Also guys op here I'm open to second hand, I'm also considering a second hand dell XPS 13 9350

>Hp spectre 360
I got it refurbished for $800. Been running great for 3 years now

Is 8GB RAM enough ?

Almost definitely, you may want more if you do a lot of virtualisation.

Yeah I'm not gonna do any gaming probably just note taking and coding (nns might need a discrete GPU)

the XPS 13 is the only valid choice. It's as stylish as a macbook and doesn't make you look like an autist with an old ass thinkpad.

Attached: 0100186_dell-xps-13-9360-quad-core-i7-8550u-133-fhd-infinityedge-high-performance-notebook_600.jpg (600x600, 36K)

Is the 9350 a good choice? I can't buy something that costs a kidney
Looks pretty solid, cheapish too

acer predator 21x is pretty common for students these days

Attached: acer-predator-header-1.jpg (3328x1697, 372K)

The actual fuck is that, what is that space above the keyboard

> make you look like
Who gives a damn tbqh.

The Dell XPS series are the only laptops i'd buy for college.

XPS 13 is pretty great indeed, mine had a pretty shitty wireless antenna that I had to change though

Xiaomeme seems to be making decent laptops aswell

fr.gearbest.com/laptops/pp_786412.html?wid=1349303#goodsDetail

if you don't care about other peoples opinions then a used thinkpad will do you good.

I like my Ryzen 5 2500U, 500gb nvme, and 16gb ram so far

That's where you put your lunch with coffee, silly!

If that's you only PC, buy Lenovo.
They allow you to set charging thresholds, so you can have it plugged 100% of the time and not suffer the battery damage, because it's always at 60% charge.

it's for banging anons mom

I'm currently doing comp sci too, this is my first year. In the first weeks I was carrying my big ass T530 and didn't get a weird look or anything lol. Now I got an x230 and it's comfy and light af. With an SSD it's faster than a macbook eventho it's more than 5 years old. I recommend thinkpads (t or x series)

Where else are you going to put the dragon sticker. Daft noob.

Attached: wpid-article-1319038794637-0e710fc300000578-778968_466x553 (1) (1).jpg (466x553, 34K)

I care but at the same time I'm not gonna rule out ThinkPads
Is chink shit gonna stay alive for like 4 years

It does look a bit autistic but I think I could live with it, how's the screen?
Are the batteries replaceable?

I don't like bezels though
Ideal would be a ThinkPad with thin bezels, also it needs to be like portable so thin and light preferred, is there one?

puri.sm/products/librem-13/

Tf is pureos sounds super crummy

OP here, looks pretty solid, I'll probably get that.

Op here, you look pretty solid, I'll probably get you

ominous thread

Is there a way to change the key caps on ThinkPads so they don't look 2004?

>I'm doing computer science

I am so sorry.

Thanks

We have these threads on an hourly basis.

My honest answer:
buy something cheap and light to carry around also good battery life, touch screen is a plus if you commute or spend a lot of time in rooms with awful desks etc
buy a desktop to use in dorm.

>you won't have a problem to put it in a backpack and carry around, if a dumb thot will spill coffee on it, you won't lose much, you will want to carry it to a library, friend's flat etc
>desktop will be for "real work".

My Jow Forums answer:
buy a thinkpad, rice it, install an obscure linux distro, spend time copying looks from desktop threads, fail the college after the first semester.

I got a Macbook with the summer job I did before college.

Yeah, unscrew the lid and you are good to go.

It's just freetard Debian iirc

Do you recommend Chromebooks then?
How was Macos?
What the fuck when did non replaceable batteries in laptops become a thing

>Do you recommend Chromebooks then?
Some have intel cpus that allow you to install windows or linux. I guess these are fine as long as they'll be at least celeron class.

I had an atom ultra small laptop (weaker than celeron) - it did run some IDEs, arduino, schematics designing programs, meme design web apps, dropbox, pdf viewers, office fine. Core M is enough to do 90% of stuff you'll need in classes, but that's not enough for games. Celeron is in between.

And, you won't be able to program do 3D stuff etc in chrome OS.

Attached: a4.jpg (640x557, 39K)

The new hp logo looks nice honestly

laptops suck
they're noisy as fuck

Not the same user but i use a mbp non memetouch edition and runs matlab and simulink okeyish, all ofimatics runs cool but youll be better of with pages and keynote than ms office. Solid structure but i have a keyboard mark on the screen (maybe my fault) and overall good battery life, over 6 hours. Bought some usb adapters over aliexpress for usbc->normal usb that are cool, and a hdmi adapter that together cost less than 20 bucks. Kinda run out on the 128 gbs model but i keep a external hard drive on my home and do backups weekly.

Im , also, this
My main pc its a sff desktop that runs all the hardcore stuff that the mac cant. Its a i7 6700 16gb ram ssd+hdd combo and quadro p600 that cost me almost the same as the mbp but runs ubuntu so you will loose the 'ecosystem' if that matters.

I'm biased, but I like having a good terminal with unix utilies and official support for MS Office Suite, which I dislike to use - but is occasionally needed, so I went with a macbook pro (back in 2015, when they still had a good amount of built in ports).

If you're not particularly interested in macOS or would find it awkward to get used to new shortcuts (cmd instead of ctrl etc.) then skip macbooks.

Thinkpad Carbon X1

> what os
Leopard at the time.
Was good enough. I didn't want to be bothered and it served its purpose. Sold it for 65% of its price 3 years later.

Thinkpad E585 Ryzen 7 2700U

>not coding in paper like any normal person would do.

this is superior chinkshit

If you want a decent looking laptop with OK battery life and an ok gpu at a decent price then get a XPS that comes with a 1050ti. Should be decent enough for anything you need.

personally, I'm getting the cheapest ThinkPad X1 Extreme (still about $2k) since it seems like a solid laptop

I just did the same thing: buying a returned 360 for 800. I did get board failure but that was replaced under warranty.

best bang for your buck right here

Attached: mxp.jpg (800x451, 178K)

As a student, look into the Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen 3, it's old enough to be cheap and new enough to have all the good stuff.

There's no lighter 14" laptop on the market.

The only drawback is the RAM is integral to the mainboard, so you want the 16GB model.

So ThinkPad or XPS? I'm stuck here, I understand that like dell in general is less reliable and ThinkPads have like a better keyboard and trackpad, however dell has a better display and a more elegant chassis

Whats the name

t60 best ~ 30$

Something with an i7HQ with 8GB RAM and a GTX anything lower than that and you're a nigger, Apples included.

looks like that chinkshit company, I'd stay away

lad
he's memeing you

holy fuck it comes with a custom Pelican case for moving it around because it's so heavy

Attached: acer-predator-21-x-41.jpg (970x647, 112K)

What's better the Thinkpad x280 or the dell XPS 9360?

why is the space bar broken

I'd stay away from chromebooks. and the only rec I have is make sure to get workstation laptop. not some shiny consumer grade thing that's got designed obsolescence built in. I'm partial to hp elitebooks

My prof in CS last year had one of those, looks bretty good but I wouldn't want to risk fucking it up by carrying it around in a bag.

Get a Xiaomi Mi Notebook. They're about $600, they look pretty slick, they're 1080p and yet they're small and fit in a bag nicely.
Don't get a Thinkpad. I fell for that meme and while they're cheap and durable the resolution is way too fucking small at 1366x768.

ultraportables are shit for getting actual work done. cramped keyboard and not enough screen realestate

What about like X1 Carbon gen 3 like user said

OP go for the meme and get a Dankpad 420. Coreboot it and throw in an ivy bridge and get a IPS 1080P panel. You won't regret it.